Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which medium-size MPV would you choose?
Honda Mobilio 111 23.37%
Maruti Ertiga 364 76.63%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2014, 05:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
My vote for the mobilio.

Advantages
1. The power to weight ratio is significantly higher.
2. Fun to drive ( I guess! )

Disadvantages
1. Price.
2. Price Again.

In our family, we don't really care about interiors. As long as everyone can sit, we are good to go. However, this is bad pricing from Honda. If the pricing was at par with the Ertiga, I would definitely recommend the Mobilio.
For someone who is paying 10L, they should get the same levels of comfort as other cars in the segment!
Power output not withstanding, the Mobilio will hit the wall at 140 kmph (electronically limited). What is the point then?
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 08:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

I really liked the rear styling of the Mobilio, but once inside - the Centre console is definitely not fit to fight the Ertiga - a serious deal breaker. And the platform was never known for its ride quality or refinement - important things for a people mover!

And when the prices were announced I was like - Honda after burning its fingers with the previous Gen Honda City, and burning its arms with the Jazz, is back to playing the wrong cards yet again.

Suzuki had the Inazuma, Honda now has got the Mobilio !
Old 25th July 2014, 09:08   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Power output not withstanding, the Mobilio will hit the wall at 140 kmph (electronically limited). What is the point then?
Fun to drive till 140 kmph. Not so much after that on Indian roads and conditions
eyesice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 09:12   #49
BHPian

Owning an Ertiga myself, people may mistake my views as being biased towards the Ertiga! However, after having checked out the Mobilio (just for curiosity), I could breathe easy on the fact that two months back, I made the right choice with the Ertiga

The only plus in my view where the Mobilio scores over the Ertiga is the more eye-catching and up-beat rear stance. Other than this, it is Ertiga all the way for me for the following reasons:
[*]1. A much better looking front end, unlike the meek looking Mobilio. For the segment and the size of the Mobilio, Honda could have done the Mobilio a big favour by beefing up the front stance.[*]2. Ertiga looks much better, balanced and symmetrical from the side too. Side on, the Mobilio is highly asymmetrical with a meek and short bonnet area and a taller and meaty middle and rear.[*]3. Ertiga has much better and up-market interiors, though too much of beige is a killer. [*]4. I find the NVH levels and road noise as the only dampener in the Ertiga, however, with the Mobilio, the sound insulation is horrible and will cause headache on long drives![*]5. Even the price point for the Mobilio will kill the sales, as Ertiga is definitely a winner here and VFM product, as expected from Maruti.[*]6. Though the MID in the Ertiga is a sham and does not give accurate measures of the data points in it, however, it is good to look at and helps mend the driving style of an otherwise aggressive driver, who likes to rev up, looking at a clear road ahead.

All in all, I was curiously waiting for the Mobilio to be launched, and once it has now, I don't regret at all for having jumped into buying the Ertiga two months back. I definitely wont miss much
rohin4110 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 09:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Fun to drive till 140 kmph. Not so much after that on Indian roads and conditions
The sane speed would be in the region 100 kph but that is besides the point. If you going to drive sane, Ertiga is powerful enough. If not, Mobilio will hit the wall at 140 kmph. I do not think a powerful engine is such a big advantage here. What the Mobilio engine scores in performance, it looses it in refinement.
Old 25th July 2014, 09:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

For me its Ertiga all the way, reasons :

1 Its a Maruti !!! So i can get service in every corner of the India. +1.
2 Its cheaper, specially petrol model is true VFM with some discounts. +1.
3 Interiors are much much better than Mobilio. +1 (Actually +2)
4 Look wise also its i found better than Mobilio, plane & simple but elegant. +1.
5 Engines are better in Honda (as per people, which i don't agree completely as Maruti Engines are equally good & reliable), but in Ertiga its not bad either. Specially DDiS of Maruti has its own advantages. Neutral.
6 Build quality is better in Ertiga as per reviews. +1.

I guess these are sufficient reasons for now, price and interiors are being the top most for me at least
Old 25th July 2014, 09:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The sane speed would be in the region 100 kph but that is besides the point. If you going to drive sane, Ertiga is powerful enough. If not, Mobilio will hit the wall at 140 kmph. I do not think a powerful engine is such a big advantage here. What the Mobilio engine scores in performance, it looses it in refinement.
Could not agree more on this. Driving an Ertiga diesel, I am really satisfied with the engine response. The turbo lag too is a bit blown out of proportion. Moroever, Ertiga pulled well on the Chandigarh Shimla highway with full load. People not happy with the power delivery of the Ertiga, should definitely settle for nothing less than a Ferrari
rohin4110 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 09:41   #53
BHPian

I was contemplating getting the Mobilio (as an upgrade to our Ertiga) after looking at the pictures online. But seeing the car in flesh made me change my perception about the car. Hondas for me always meant luxury added to performance. Cost cutting was never really evident in any Honda (apart from the Amaze?).
1) Im okay with lightweight panels, thats the Jap way of doing things.
2) But the dashboard is an eyesore. Its where you spend the most amount of time in a car and quite honestly, the design is very ordinary.
3) The car is surprisingly small from the outside. You have to see it in flesh to know what I mean.
4) Also, i found the seats in the Ertiga to be better than those in the Mobilio.
5) The Mobilio drives wayy better than the Ertiga. No comparion here. But is noisier than the Ertiga. The Ertiga is more refined for sure.
6) I wish the Mobilio wore a new face. Similarity to the Brio and Amaze makes people perceive it as a smaller car than it actually is. This has definitely worked against the Mobilio.
7) The rear looks fantastic. The Ertiga rear reminds me of a panda.
8) Pricing. Honda have clearly botched up here. Price it similar/ slightly lower than the Ertiga (variant to variant), the Mobilio sure would have had an advantage. The RS should have been a max of 50k over the Ertiga Zdi. But thats not the case. Having a price higher by 1-1.5L, in a segment which is only just being created (I look at the Ertiga and the Mobilio as sedan alternatives, rather than out and out 7 seaters) will definitely work against Honda. They will sell, but just not as much.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Ertiga will see a rise in sales for the next few months atleast. Lets wait and watch!
satya180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 10:04   #54
BHPian

My vote and money goes to the Ertiga.

I bought the Ertiga in June end after religiously following the Mobilio development for almost 8 months. So I am trying not to be prejudiced here, but at the same time, I have committed to my choice with my money, not just my vote, so that’s got to count for something.

For Ertiga
  • Direct, well weighted steering with good feedback
  • Better interiors
  • Heftier build
  • Better seats, taller seating (first two and the 3rd row are definitely better, I would say the middle bench is a tie. You have better under thigh support and seat cushioning in Ertiga against better legroom in Mobilio )
  • Good low speed ride
  • I like the clean, proportionate looks of the Ertiga against edgy, disproportionate looks of the Mobilio (this is very subjective, and is completely my personal opinion)
  • Maruti after sales

For Mobilio
  • Bigger, more powerful petrol
  • I would say Diesel Mobilio has a slight advantage over Diesel Ertiga, but both have their pluses (drivability, power and FE for Mobilio, and NVH, strong mid-range and free revving for Ertiga) and minuses (NVH, not free revving, restricted red line and top speed for Mobilio and turbo lag, comparatively lower power and FE for Ertiga). So Mobilio wins here by a whisker only.
  • Better boot space with all three rows up
  • Better legroom/knee-room
  • A better looking rear compared to the Ertiga

Even before the prices were announced, I thought Ertiga was a better choice. Now, with 75K difference between Ertiga VDi and Mobilio S ex showroom Delhi, which might go up to 1 lakh on road Pune, and glaring misses like non-sliding middle row (which is a deal breaker for me), there is absolutely no contest. I cant afford the Mobilio V, so I am not even thinking about that.

Ertiga takes the crown for me!

Last edited by KedarB : 25th July 2014 at 10:12. Reason: Added a point in Mobilio Advantages
KedarB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 10:26   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

On paper it is the Mobilio all the way. Looks better than the rather plain Jane Ertiga. More powerful, longer, interior space better managed. The boot is bigger and more flexible thanks to 50-50 split in third row. As a family carrier the Mobilio makes a bit more sense than the Ertiga.

But Honda has not got it right somehow. The pricing differential is unjustified. Plus they got some things wrong in fit and finish that emerged quite clearly in GTO and Mpower's Official Review. Lack of an automatic transmission variant was the final nail in the coffin. Given that the Ertiga has a head start by a long way in this segment Honda probably needed to have delivered better.

So, am on the fence- not voted in the poll yet. My guess is Maruti will launch a refresh soon enough with some of the low-hanging fruit taken care of. And then this battle will be fun to watch!
Old 25th July 2014, 10:41   #56
BHPian

+1 to Ertiga.

When I was buying my Dzire, I was not at all impressed by the interiors of the Amaze. Only due to the poor interiors of the Amaze, I went ahead and booked the Dzire.

However, when I bought my City as an upgrade to my SX4, it was a no brainer.

I think the lesson to be learnt is that regardless of the product, Honda has to provide good interiors even if built to a cost. At least in my Honda City (2014), there are some noises here and there and the overall car seems built to a cost but at least it gives a good / posh feeling once you're in the car. These noises also vanish once the music system is on.

A relative was eagerly waiting for the Mobilio and I sent him the team-bhp links. Now he has got confused! Will update on what he does after reading the review and results of this poll .
Old 25th July 2014, 10:53   #57
BHPian

From the post i see lot of people who have got Eritiga's or Maruti owners trying to justify there choice same goes for few people who have bought mobilio or are planning to buy. This is a very natural process we see this process at work even in the smallest thing we do then how can one be wrong at buying a Car ? or SUV.

Coming down to the pricing i think honda has gone little overboard with the pricing. Is it still worth it ? i think deep down in our psyche we do perceive honda as a superior brand than maruti (or shall i say suzuki).
Is mobilio actually worth that money ? maybe not maybe is i think its purely subjective choice. But yes honda should have been a little more competitive in pricing the mobilio. Will it do the numbers ? i think it should counting out the sales ertiga is doing as a taxi i think mobilio should do competitive numbers.
Old 25th July 2014, 11:48   #58
Senior - BHPian

We should also have Chevy Enjoy as an option. To see where it stands in comparison The other other thread Mobilio vs Enjoy could be merged as well.

My major gripe about Mobilio is the disappointing front row seats much more than the fascia (the fascia looks better than the Etios did). Am pretty skeptical how good they'd be on a long distance run having seen that in my own i10. If they fix that then I might pick up the Mobilio, till then Ertiga is a no brainer at almost 1.5 lakh lesser price.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 11:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

What is so Brio in Mobilio?
Why do we always keep talking about the platform?

The wheelbase of Brio, Amaze and Mobilio is NOT the same.
Old 25th July 2014, 12:11   #60
BHPian

I am a firm believer of value for money. IMO, majority of the prospective owners of these vehicles will not have 7 people to ferry every time and hence the premium demanded by Honda for a little bit more leg room / boot space is very optimistic to say the least.

Ertiga is clearly the winner for me. If Honda were to launch Mobilio at say Rs 50K lower than Ertiga Variant to variant, then I would have gone for Honda. They needed to do that to get respectable numbers when its a Maurti Best Seller they are up against.
charanreddy is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks