Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Tata Harrier 315 56.55%
Hyundai Creta 45 8.08%
Kia Seltos 107 19.21%
MG Hector 5 0.90%
Mahindra XUV500 10 1.80%
Jeep Compass 67 12.03%
Other (please specify in your post) 8 1.44%
Voters: 557. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2020, 15:09   #16

Re: Tata Harrier Automatic vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others

I would choose the Harrier as:

1. It feels much more SUVish than the Creta-Seltos duo.
2. Is priced much attractively than the Compass and offering more space and presence than the latter. Even our Official Review says that the Harrier AT’s drivetrain is better tuned than Compass.
3. Massive presence, Strong Drivetrain and such a looker that any regular folk will mislead this car from a segment above.
TorqueAddict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 15:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

The choice of transmissions is not homogeneous in this price band. The Korean twins have both manual and automatic options, each perfectly executed. Harrier is now basically AT only, while the MG is strictly diesel manual. Compass buyers also prefer the diesel manual, the slush box is both expensive and poorly calibrated. The turbo petrols of both Jeep and MG as well as the Harrier manual are all irrelevant.

If the choice of transmissions is opened up, my first preference would be the Jeep Compass MT. Best build, best performance, best ride and handling and feels properly premium inside out. The new premium plus variant is fully loaded. On the other hand, if we are talking automatics only, my vote goes to the Creta. Ditto if the budget is tight, as it is a good 4L cheaper than Harrier and 5.5L less than Compass.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 20th August 2020 at 15:18.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 15:14   #18
BHPian

I would go with the Harrier, just love the sheer presence it commands on the road. Close second would be the Kia Seltos Diesel AT.
If only the well kitted Creta had some decent looks to it, I am sure it would have gathered more votes here.
Simha13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 15:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Harrier.

I evaluated each one of them in July 2020 (except the Hector, which was never in contention) and finally I went ahead and bought the Harrier AT because as a package it is just perfect for my needs at the right price point. The Harrier replaced my 4 year old XUV 500
himanshugoswami is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 16:02   #20
BHPian

Voted for Harrier AT.

(I have not sat in/ driven a Hectar, so can't comment much on that car).

- Harrier, with its bulky design, has that perfect SUV stance. Best looking in this price range. New alloy wheel design has completely enhanced the overall looks.

- Feels most spacious and has widest cabin (which gives a premium feel).
XUV5OO also has good space and width but the car is getting old now and interiors do not ooze quality unlike other cars here, so won't be considered. Overall, Harrier felt more spacious than Creta/Seltos/Compass.

- Seating is proper SUV like, unlike Seltos, sitting in which I did feel high but not like a proper SUV. Also, in Seltos I felt a bit close to dashboard (giving a sense of being not so spacious), which was not the case in Creta and Harrier. Have not sat in Hectar.

- Is priced well for its size, space and road presence.

- Diesel + AT combo available, with good power and torque figures. Though, others are also good in this area.

- Will not consider Compass for its high price (for what it offers). Yes, its a well engineered car but other cars here are damn good too.

- Most probably, won't consider Hectar for its weird view, when viewed from side. Though, I love that bold front and am fine with rear looks.

My second choice would be Creta DCT/ TC. Looks has grown on me. I prefer it over Seltos since it looks more SUVish than the subtle Seltos and also feels more spacious. Also, Creta comes with Panoroof. Overall, it feels more premium.
Mynameis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 16:35   #21
BHPian

Voted for Other
Might be a dark horse here but my vote goes to the just launched Mahindra Thar Petrol Auto. Not because am an off road can or anything but because of the sheet way it looks and the way it tugs at your heart strings. And it has massive road prescene
Hamza123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 16:40   #22
BHPian

Went with my heart and picked the Harrier. Loved it since it was launched. Though, if I had to buy one, the most economical choice would be the Creta because it offers the same/most of the features of the Harrier and would probably have a better resale value.
evoker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 16:43   #23
Team-BHP Support

I am unable to vote as the 2 choices are too difficult. The Seltos and the Harrier.

The Seltos feels like the refined suave option and the Harrier is the rough and tough butch SUV.

Both have nice engines, gearboxes and good styling.

I will have to think over this for a while before voting.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:20   #24
BHPian

After reading Which one would you choose?

Frankly speaking, I did not even go through the remaining list.

Such is the desire in me to own a HARRIER. Voted with love!

Tata Harrier Automatic vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others-ezgif5ec3ce847df5c.jpg
kamilharis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:22   #25
BHPian

The Tata Harrier will win this poll, by a large margin.

Hyundai / Kia siblings will walk away to the bank, with the most in their kitty.

Risk: MG might go to the courts to sue voters here for not voting for it (pun intended here!).

Jeep compass costs a lot more than others - they will have to pay back members (bribe! ) for a vote.

Bottom line, there is a real world poll on this. Seltos and Cretas monthly clock 10,000 votes every month. Winner of this online poll, Harrier clocks 10% of that. (And so far, MG has done at least twice of Harrier - in terms of sales). The rest pick pieces left over.

New XUV500 will change a few things. But not by much.

Oh - my vote: Seltos.
OrangeCar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:44   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent time for this pole with the launch of the new Creta.

I would have voted for the Seltos as for me, it is the most complete package out there with great looks which aren't too flashy, amazing kit levels and for offering all that in a diesel AT combination. If only they could add a panoramic sunroof to it and this car would simply become perfect.

Having said that, no car in this segment appeals to my heart like the Compass does. And hence for a change, I listened to my heart and voted for the Compass. It's road presence is simply unmatchable by all the other options listed in the poll even though it has been out there for quite some time. Combined with the Jeep brand heritage it makes a compelling case for itself. Only if Jeep India could price it more competitively. Also the car is in a desperate need for the Diesel + AT combination to make it's way down the entire range. I wouldn't mind paying a couple of lakhs more than the top variant of Seltos for a top variant of Compass even though they don't offer many features like 360 degree camera, Bose system, HUD, Air purifier etc which actually makes the price difference even bigger.

Last edited by drmohitg : 20th August 2020 at 17:56.
drmohitg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:47   #27
BHPian

Voted for Tata Harrier.

Initially when the Tata Harrier was launched, I was not a fan of its looks. But after seeing Creta, I found Harrier is comparatively much better. Creta & Hector looks more Chinese in its design and even Harrier to some extent. Seltos and Compass looks far better in my eyes.

Tata can learn one thing from Mahindra that 'imitation is the best form of flattery'. What Mahindra did with Thar, Tata could have easily done with Harrier taking some frontal design cues from Land Rover without getting into any legal issues.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:56   #28
BHPian

Voted for the Kia Seltos

Based on observations from test drives of the Harrier (MT), Seltos (MT & AT), Xuv 500 (MT & AT), Compass (MT & AT) and Hector (MT & AT) at various times in the past. Haven't TDed the new Creta or the Harrier AT.

As many have observed on this thread and other poll threads, it's one thing to choose/vote here , another thing to purchase which takes into account other factors such as quality/reliability , ASS, total cost of ownership etc .

If i were to choose a petrol.
Manual - Seltos
Automatic - Seltos

If i were to choose a diesel
Manual - Compass (Not to say Seltos Diesel Manual is not good, but Jeep Compass diesel manual is just another level )
Automatic - Seltos

Don't have the confidence to touch Tata & M&M due to their ASS (not just here on the forum but even in personal circles. Great products / engineering , let down by niggles, quality issues and inconsistent ASS)

Creta - exterior design is a turn-off for me.

Hector - bulky , lot of body roll . Personally not a big fan of 'All touch and/or voice commands'

Wildcard - if only the Duster was available with next gen platform, safety and features . And AWD with the turbo petrol !!!
FAIAAA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 18:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Voted for the Kia Seltos. The Diesel + AT combination is superb - that engine & AT are a match made in heaven. As good as the car itself! While the Petrol DCT is also fast & competent, I'll go with the diesel due to its inherently superior reliability over a dual-clutch gearbox, higher FE and the fact that both are similarly priced. Even otherwise, I am really attracted to the Seltos' styling + interior + features + handling.
What are your thoughts on the DPF issues if driving is primarily in city?

Would you suggest the DCT over the diesel then?
sv97 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 18:46   #30
BHPian

I voted for Other - Mahindra Thar Petrol AT.
It will be launched quite soon. We already have the date. I suppose, along with a hardcore offroader image, it will now be quite good on road as well. My first choice will be Thar.

XUV500 is at a disadvantage right now since its at fag end of its generation.

However, for onroad butch image, Harrier.
For onroad soft, suave image - Creta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks