Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2024, 17:55   #481
BHPian

Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg99 View Post
This post is conveying a query that my friend has. He is 25, single, and lives in a family of four. We have been looking at cars for him, and he has narrowed it down to the Mahindra Scorpio N Z8 AT Petrol, and the Kia Seltos GTX+ Turbo DCT Petrol.
ScorpioN is a segment above and best in terms of safety/build quality, even its paint quality is too good when compared with Kia. Its has the best AT system that is delight to use in city or highway. But, Petrol Scorpio-N AT will never return good fuel efficiency. If that is not a concern then Big Daddy is a no brainer.

peace
sulliavi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 18:43   #482
Senior - BHPian

Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorp

Quote:
Scorpio N cons: Steering is not calibrated well and lacks feedback. The brakes have a weirdly sharp bite. Slight body roll. Mahindra's fit and finish is subpar (Cheap feeling turn indicator stocks, steering leather, buttons), the backseat is slightly cramped, boot is not a flatbed even if I remove the last row. A little skeptical about Mahindra's reliability and after-sales support (hoping TBHP can clear that up). The driver's seat doesn’t get great under-thigh support. Also, my mom might find it hard to climb into it.
First of all, congratulations to him, he has narrowed his search down to 2 contenders, otherwise, the confusion would have been manifold.

He is spot-on as far as the Scorpio-N 'cons' go. Here's my input after owning the Z2 diesel for 6 months plus now
- The hydraulic one on the Z2 is great, it's sufficiently light while parking and weighs up nicely at speed. The electric on the variant our friend is considering is vague
- Brakes are really good, all 4 discs really work their magic. The irregular bite could be attributed to it being a test drive vehicle
- Compared to Seltos, the ScorpioN cannot hold a candle to it as far as fit and finish go. Z8 Select and above are much better than the lower variants
- Back seat is generous and can seat 3 abreast better than the Seltos, leg space too is better than Seltos.
- Boot is the ScorpioN's Achilles heel. I solved that problem by getting myself a Farad 630lts roof box Removing the last row would definitely make for a bigger boot than the Seltos
- Drivers seat, no complaints, I'm 5.8
- I've had no reason to complain on the after sales, with 13,000 kilometres under the belt
- My octogenarian Dad uses the handle on the A pillar to pull himself up, besides, the side steps are robust

Net-net if its a city slicker, Seltos it is, for all others ScorpioN will do just fine
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 19:47   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seltos is sensible but the Scorpio N has character.
The contest isn't between the Seltos and the Scorpio but between a 25 year old's desire for a SUV and a reality check with the CSUV/MSUV concept

I would say to go with the Seltos.
Reasons :
- The Seltos in this iteration has matured a lot, ironed out whatever needed to be and hence provides a premium experience.
- The Scorpio is the first iteration of this platform so there will be some rough edges but also some design choices which limit the rear seat space, door pockets, luggage area etc. The next version should iron out the rough edges and hopefully some of the usability concerns.

Since your usage will primarily be in the city and on ok roads you're not really using the Scorpio's credentials except for the looks. As you drive more, explore more places and would eventually outgrow the Seltos, that would be a time to look at the "SUV" that fits your requirements. Hopefully the Scorpio would've had at least one more iteration addressing most of your concerns by then.

If you still decide on the Scorpio, do a test drive with your family inside it to get a feel of things. Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned about the abnormally high placed passenger seat on either the XUV700/ScorpioN(can't recall). So do check on that as it might become an issue if your brother sits in the passenger seat.
If your parents have issues with ingress/egress then for a car to be used in the city, it is a deal breaker, IMHO.

If you decide on the Seltos then also look at the Creta as it has relatively softer suspension and IIRC 17 inch wheels on the turbo-DCT too, please check.

Last edited by shancz : 29th February 2024 at 19:49. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 01:11   #484

I am the friend cg posted about. Now that I have been approved by the mods, I thought I will thank you all for your valuable inputs. I ended up going with a Black Seltos GTX+(S) (Turbo petrol DCT). After doing a second longer test drive for both cars, I realized that mostly driving in the city I will thank myself for getting a car that is more refined for smooth roads, and has better mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
The contest isn't between the Seltos and the Scorpio but between a 25 year old's desire for a SUV and a reality check with the CSUV/MSUV concept
This really made me chuckle. But I think I agreed with all of Shan's points which made me decide on the Seltos. Plus my father also liked the car more.

I didn't get the Creta because of the design and the brand mostly. I feel like KIA is a more mature brand (subjective).

I booked the GTX+ (S) compared to the GTX+ I originally thought of getting, as they had one in from 2023 in stock and the dealer offered 1.2L discount, which was too good to pass up just for the Bose sound system.

I will be sure to post pictures after taking delivery and also after I dechrome those awful door handles and grill. This will be my first car in India and second car ever, so looking forward to sharing my experience with it with TBHP.
VtechSupreme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 10:18   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtechSupreme View Post
I am the friend cg posted about.
Welcome to TBHP
Glad to see you here in first person and congratulations on the car. Well chosen and the discount is the icing on the cake.
Your experience with your purchase will help a lot of folks out, do update.
Looking forward to reading more from you
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 15:37   #486
BHPian

Looking for a budget mid-sized SUV

Hi Guys,
I am out in the market for a mid sized SUV. As family size is increased and so are travels, my beloved WagonR is feeling less in size for people and luggage. So, have decided to keep my WagonR for city travels and choose a budget Mini SUV for a family of 4 for highways. Below are my requirements:
1. Budget strictly below 14 lakhs and size of vehicle bigger than my WagonR.
2. As my highway drives would be on holidays or on kids vacations, so choosing a petrol variant.
2. Should be able to accomodate 5 adults including driver.
3. Luggage space for a tour of 7-15 days for a 4 people family.
4. I would be keeping this vehicle for 15+ years, hence should be a reliable petrol motor(Preferably 1.5L )and less niggles overall vehicle like my WagonR.
5. Not a Maruti Suzuki one.
6. Decent mileage giving one.
Please help me in a vehicle satisfying most of my requirements.

Thanks,
Ramki

Last edited by ramki067 : 1st April 2024 at 15:40.
ramki067 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 15:52   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Looking for a budget mid-sized SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Below are my requirements:
1. Budget strictly below 14 lakhs and size of vehicle bigger than my WagonR.
2. As my highway drives would be on holidays or on kids vacations, so choosing a petrol variant.
2. Should be able to accomodate 5 adults including driver.
3. Luggage space for a tour of 7-15 days for a 4 people family.
4. I would be keeping this vehicle for 15+ years, hence should be a reliable petrol motor(Preferably 1.5L )and less niggles overall vehicle like my WagonR.
5. Not a Maruti Suzuki one.
6. Decent mileage giving one.
Please help me in a vehicle satisfying most of my requirements.

Thanks,
Ramki
Please look at the lower variants for Creta P1.5. Since features or automatic is not your requirement but a bigger, spacious, reliable, efficient car is your need, Creta would be very good. If you are okay with a slightly bigger, longer 7-str car then do check-out the Carens P1.5 as well. Very spacious and comfortable where you can use it as a 5 seater with a big boot.

If Maruti is still an option for you then you can add Grand Vitara and Ertiga to the above list.

Last edited by ashis89 : 1st April 2024 at 16:07.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 15:54   #488
BHPian

Since, size is one of important criteria then Jimny has been ruled off.
I feel, Hyundai Venue can be perfect fit for you or can still consider Grand Vitara knowing that it is from MS.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 15:58   #489
BHPian

You can look at the Base variant of the new Creta, should meet all your needs, apart from a safety point of view. If you are more inclined towards a safer vehicle, you can check out the Taigun-Kushaq twins, but you wont get the 1.5l petrol with a 15l budget. The Nexon too is a great option and is my pick.

Couple of questions:

1)
Quote:
As my highway drives would be on holidays or on kids vacations, so choosing a petrol variant.
I dint understand this point of yours, most would consider a diesel for such a purpose. Request you to elaborate on this.

2) Are you open to used cars? You can definitely check out a used XUV500 in both petrol & diesel avatars (though I suppose it may be hard to find the petrol one).

3) Are you open to MPV's? The Carens would be a great option checking all your requirements and more.

Looking forward to your decision.
arnav17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 16:12   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
You can look at the Base variant of the new Creta, should meet all your needs, apart from a safety point of view. If you are more inclined towards a safer vehicle, you can check out the Taigun-Kushaq twins, but you wont get the 1.5l petrol with a 15l budget. The Nexon too is a great option and is my pick.

Couple of questions:

1)

I dint understand this point of yours, most would consider a diesel for such a purpose. Request you to elaborate on this.

2) Are you open to used cars? You can definitely check out a used XUV500 in both petrol & diesel avatars (though I suppose it may be hard to find the petrol one).

3) Are you open to MPV's? The Carens would be a great option checking all your requirements and more.

Looking forward to your decision.
Hi arnav17,
1. To answer the first one, basically i would be using this vehicle for highway drives majorly. And that too on weekends or on kids holdays or kids summer/winter-vacations.
2. No used cars since i shall be keeping it for 15+ years.
3. Thank you. I shall weigh my options with Carens.
Would Seltos base model better than Creta base model?
Also, how is Honda Elevate/MG Astor options?

Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 16:16   #491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would Seltos base model better than Creta base model?
Also, how is Honda Elevate/MG Astor options?

Thanks
Seltos is a Creta with a slightly different design shell and slightly stiffer suspension. It seems recently, KIA has added additional features to the lower variants which can make it a better bet then the Creta.

Elevate is bigger than the sub-4m cars but still a tad smaller than the Creta. If it meets your needs then you can't go wrong with it.

Astor is again smaller than the Creta and it's engine is not it's strength.
Old 1st April 2024, 16:23   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Seltos is a Creta with a slightly different design shell and slightly stiffer suspension. It seems recently, KIA has added additional features to the lower variants which can make it a better bet then the Creta.
So, Creta has better suspension than Seltos?
Also, is Creta shell is much better/safer than Seltos?
Old 1st April 2024, 16:27   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, Creta has better suspension than Seltos?
Yes. Make sure to test drive both cars on bad roads. Also the Carens has really good suspension, better than Creta too.

Quote:
Also, is Creta shell is much better/safer than Seltos?
The outgoing models were equally rated - barely 3 star.

The facelifts have not been tested yet although the manufacturers have advertised better shells on both the cars. No empirical proof yet to agree or dispute the above claims.
Old 1st April 2024, 16:28   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I am out in the market for a mid sized SUV. ....
The Honda Elevate - 1.5 Naturally Aspirated, Bullet proof engine, Large in size to seat your family, comfortable on long drives for rear passengers as well.

The V variant manual would be under 15 and if you want a CVT about 50 to 60 K more.
Newtown is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 16:35   #495
BHPian

Honda Elevate satisfies all your conditions.

You can get the Base SV MT variant for under 14L. The V MT with quite a lot of kit for under 15L.

These cars now get 6-Airbags as standard as per this news: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-standard.html (Honda City & Elevate now get 6 airbags as standard)

Among the sub-4m SUVs, the Sonet has the largest boot space (at par with the 4.3m SUVs). You could get more features on that one (but not more power or an AT despite the size downgrade) within your budget.

Last edited by antz.bin : 1st April 2024 at 16:37.
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks