Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2023, 10:33   #421
BHPian

Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorp

Thanks Poitive,

I test drove few over the weekend and here are my observations

1. Scorpio N D AT 4x4
Though I requested for 4x2 model, they had the 4x4 variant. The test car had 9300 odd kms n was badly maintained. The tyres were over inflated & I could feel every little undulation. Overall the test experience was a let down. Asked them to arrange another car and they told this is the only one available at the moment.

Called up another showroom & they had the petrol manual test vehicle, so blocked the time & checked it, the car was good but was not impressed with the ride quality.

2. Xuv 700 P AT
Again, a bad test vehicle. Abused to the max. Had only 2400 kms on the odo & had broken ac vents, dirty roof liner. The car refused to start for a first 3 tries and then came to life on 4th. Again over inflated tyres., I drove the car for about 6 kms and was not convinced.

3. Tata Harrier XZA
Harrier was something that I went with no expectations and the car simply exceeded expectations. Ride quality was amazing, the door thud and overall I felt it was well put together than the Mahindra duos. Wanted to check the Safari but it was not available. So once I do that will take a call as both versions XZA models are closely priced
DieselWanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 13:27   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWanderer View Post

1. Scorpio N D AT 4x4
The test car had 9300 odd kms n was badly maintained. The tyres were over inflated & I could feel every little undulation.
2. Xuv 700 P AT
Again, a bad test vehicle. Abused to the max. Had only 2400 kms on the odo & had broken ac vents, dirty roof liner. The car refused to start for a first 3 tries and then came to life on 4th. Again over inflated tyres.,
Not sure of what to make of the dealer or Mahindra itself. Badly maintained cars that have their odo reading still in the four digits?
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 13:31   #423
BHPian

Yes, Two different dealers and same state of cars. The Scorpio N's were a complete bummer. I dont understand the need for overinflated tyres. The 4*4 variant for some reason had wheelspin every time from stop go traffic and the ride quality made me sad . Also the Petrol Manual ScorpioN started to smell of petrol during the test drive., the executive was clueless.
The XUV700 refused to start and wear and tear was evident. What surprised me was how such low reading car could be abused so much!

Tata duos were another league due to this!
DieselWanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 09:16   #424
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post

Hence there is no ownership report as yet. I really don't know when I will be able to write it. Many times, I thought that I should at least share the selection and some basic details on this thread itself. Then thought that if I do so, given the current situation, am very unlikely to start an ownership report at all. For now, I will wait and give myself a chance to start the ownership report, even if late. Thanks for bearing up.

With your promised ownership thread remaining ever elusive, and your last posts being 4 months ago; could you atleast tell us what you bought?
turbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 23:38   #425
Senior - BHPian

Probably OT:

Apologies, mates. Life really hasn't been normal for a while, so have not driven much or been able to write a suitable Ownweship Report - surely not enough for a thread. Have hardly even been able to read the forum. (Typical is a quick app-like login after I get a "have been quoted" email, to keep the email notification going.)

Am allowing myself time till around the Independence Day to make at least a basic ownership report (I do want to). If I don't manage till then, will write a post here summing things up.

I myself am unhappy with the lack of progress, but this is one of several aspects of life which have been compromised for a while (and will likely be so for a while).

I imagined the thread to continue actively as a general thread on the subject, but saw it was quite forgotten; not totally, as I see from @turbo's post. Thank you for the interest.

PS: An example - have not even taken the refund of the several bookings made prior to getting the vehicle.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 11:48   #426
Senior - BHPian

Take your time.
Life is the first priority, everything else follows.

Quite strange to read about the state of Mahindra test drive vehicles but I suspect its more of a dealer/local issue. As for individual owners I haven't heard any such complaints. A friend's petrol XUV700 MT is reported to have increased its FE in city to 11-12kmpl with AC and normal driving, after the first service. Enthusiastic driving does push it to single digits. No complaints of any parts breaking and the only issue is occasional restarts of the ICE.
But, the car isn't abused so I guess test drive vehicles shouldn't be paid much attention to in terms of abuse related damage.

Things mentioned in earlier posts like the seat cushion sagging on the Hector or the engine roughness(can't remember the car) or rattles, thumps, even the FE on the MID(assuming worst case), should be paid attention to on the test cars.
Further read (Poitive : ETD (Guide: How to take Effective Test-Drives of new cars))

Last edited by shancz : 23rd July 2023 at 11:58. Reason: acc info
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 02:43   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Quite strange to read about the state of Mahindra test drive vehicles but I suspect its more of a dealer/local issue. As for individual owners I haven't heard any such complaints. A friend's petrol XUV700 MT is reported to have increased its FE in city to 11-12kmpl with AC and normal driving, after the first service. Enthusiastic driving does push it to single digits. No complaints of any parts breaking and the only issue is occasional restarts of the ICE.
But, the car isn't abused so I guess test drive vehicles shouldn't be paid much attention to in terms of abuse related damage.
To my surprise even my Thar Petrol Automatic is giving a decent mileage in city runs. Although to be honest I haven't been my enthusiastic self but I am just enjoying the "feel" of the SUV.

On test drive state : This is something that even I observed. Out of all the test drives I took, Mahindra's test drive cars were probably in the most sorry state & so much so that it would almost make you question your decision of going ahead with them but luckily there are other options available to verify the longetivity of the car and a decision can be taken based on that.

Offtopic : i went through the thread again and damn was it nostalgic for me. When this thread started in December 2021 (I believe) I myself was looking to get a crossover/SUV for myself and many reviews/feedbacks from Poitive, shancz and others helped me shape my decision and today by the time we have reached 29/30th? Page, i ended up with two SUVs during this duration.

So this thread has been nothing but helpful for me.
BleueNinja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 20:48   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
Offtopic : i went through the thread again and damn was it nostalgic for me. When this thread started in December 2021 (I believe) I myself was looking to get a crossover/SUV for myself and many reviews/feedbacks from Poitive, shancz and others helped me shape my decision and today by the time we have reached 29/30th? Page, i ended up with two SUVs during this duration.
To me, this has been and is a journey of the finest kind.
It doesn't just capture our discussions but the life and feelings behind the scenes, all acting in unison for the objective, Choosing an SUV up to 22L
And I am not even looking to buy a SUV

Such discussions are special and rare, to be cherished in this world of 20 second clips or 200 character limits.

All Thanks to Poitive for the exceptional replies and setting the theme of this thread.
Wish him back to cruising speed and back to the thread as and when able.

Best Wishes to All.

Last edited by shancz : 11th August 2023 at 20:49. Reason: chr
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 05:27   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably OT:

Apologies, mates. Life really hasn't been normal for a while, so have not driven much or been able to write a suitable Ownweship Report ...
Am allowing myself time till around the Independence Day to make at least a basic ownership report (I do want to). If I don't manage till then, will write a post here summing things up.
Folks, the ownership thread has been posted.

I really did want to post it on the 15th of August, as I see it as a very special day, and the ownership report of the VVS (Optra Magnum) too was started on the same date. Just could not manage due to unavoidable circumstances.

For those who have been an active part of this thread could easily skip the long quoted posts - most (not all) are from this thread itself.

As one might expect, it is a long read, but also just the start of the thread. I expect to add bits in parts - onwards will be smaller, of course.

Ownership Thread Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...hosen-suv.html

@Mods, please keep this thread open for general use.

I too will try to pitch in when possible, on this and also the Ownership thread.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 09:54   #430
BHPian

Quote:
For some reason I am unable to see your new thread when I try to navigate to it via URL. I get a message regarding membership level or something.
BleueNinja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 09:56   #431
BHPian

Quote:
For some reason I am unable to see your new thread when I try to navigate to it via URL. I get a message regarding membership level or something.
Same here. I thought for an instance I might have been banned
greyhound82 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 13:59   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really did want to post it on the 15th of August, as I see it as a very special day, and the ownership report of the VVS (Optra Magnum) too was started on the same date.
Finally, good to hear. It would have been good to have on 15th but just a sign of changed circumstances, this will remind of that some years down the line

Quote:
As one might expect, it is a long read, but also just the start of the thread.
I wasn't expecting anything lesser, looking forward to it.

Quote:
I too will try to pitch in when possible, on this and also the Ownership thread.
As and when able, applies to all of us, on and off

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Same here.
Same issue, I think it becomes visible when the Mods move it out of Assembly Line/publish it. So, it should appear in the new threads when it gets approved and published.

I guess Poitive must have requested the same and updated us. Since the request was made this morning, we can check it by tomorrow EOD.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 14:11   #433
Senior - BHPian

A quick update from the phone, while I'm in the middle of other things, folks:

The ownership thread was published without going into an Assembly Line, however details expected of a Ownership Report were missing (I planned to do that in installments, considering overall length). It has been moved to the assembly line now, for me to add those details.

Will add those when able, and then update this thread.

Thanks for your patience.
Poitive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 18:34   #434
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
A quick update from the phone, while I'm in the middle of other things, folks:

The ownership thread was published without going into an Assembly Line, however details expected of a Ownership Report were missing (I planned to do that in installments, considering overall length). It has been moved to the assembly line now, for me to add those details.

Will add those when able, and then update this thread.

Thanks for your patience.
Patience running out. Still waiting for the report
HTC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 00:40   #435
BHPian

By the way guys, just to announce it here- I now drive a Jimny Alpha AT Bluish Black colour! How is the feel? Well, the drives are enjoyable. There was a hurdle in purchase process due to the extraordinary and undue artificial hype created. And the initial days were not good because of failure of the ICE and mic module etc. (I was scared to use drive the car suspecting electrical faults). After a series of escalations, ultimately problems were resolved by replacement of the faulty parts. It's 2.5 months now, and ODO is at 3600 km. Enjoyed some memorable drives to Dalhousie and Khajjiar from Gurgaon, and to Lucknow. Recently reported brake system issues at higher altitudes by some of the Jimny owners is troubling me now. And all plans of hill drives are now on hold. Waiting for some permanent solution to be found.
RijuC is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks