Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2023, 04:01   #376
BHPian

Re: Upgrading My Wagon R VXI to A Proper SUV Car

I will provide my feedback on Harrier since I own one and have completed 10,000 kms on it.
  1. Build Quality :- Harrier isn’t safety test rated but anyone who owns one can vouch for the sturdy build that Harrier has. You can feel how strongly built the car is. A safety rating would be great but I think Hector, Compass and Harrier haven’t been safety tested due to Multijet engine issue. However, I have had the pleasure of owning Polo and City, those two were safety test rated. I feel the most safe in my Harrier. I mean City had 4 stars safety rating but didn’t feel sturdy enough to me.
    There have been instances where a Harrier was involved in an unfortunate mishap but it was able to keep its occupants safe. A friend was involved in one such mishap where an a mini truck T Boned his Harrier but his car saved him and his son.
  2. Headlights & other bits :- Even if you opt for XZA+ the sad reality is you will need to upgrade the lights. Specially, fog lamps and High beam. They are just not adequate.
    Infotainment in present Harrier is just isn’t upto the mark. However, TATA has upgraded the infotainment in 2023 Harrier which seems to be wayyy better the one current 2022 harrier has. So I would strongly recommend you wait for that.
    Audio system is amazing, I really love it.
    Air conditioning is a chiller. It cools and warms up the cabin as needed in no time.
  3. Space and comfort : I am 6’1 tall. I am comfortable in driving seat. It can accommodate me well. Friends and family have had nothing but praise for the comfort and space in vehicle. My dog is equally happy with the space available for him as well.
    Boot is well laid out and spacious. There are many well laid out pockets and spaces in the car.
  4. Handling and steering : This was something that had me in a dilemma before buying Harrier. Specially the steering but I took many long TDs & then bought the car. I have had a trip where in I completed 1400 kms in a day. The vehicle handles beautifully.
    What we need to understand here is that Hydraulic steering behaves in a different manner compared to a EPS. You can refer to Poitive’s thread “choosing the right suv” for detailed breakdown of the same. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post5410185 (Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorpio N) . I feel steering is very responsive , too responsive and unfiltered at times but that’s something I enjoy. I like a continuous feedback of everything that’s happening to make informed decisions. My old Scorpio had the same.
  5. Ride quality :- I can write an entire thread on this. Bad roads are conquered and pot holes / speed breakers are devoured. The ride quality is very good. TATA roped in British automaker Lotus to tune suspension of Harrier and it shows. The vehicle might feel stiff at low speeds but on Highways or at high speed if you were to encounter bad patches the vehicle is forgiving.
    Despite doing long journeys, I don’t feel tired as I used to in my previous cars.
  6. Power :- Eco, City & Sport. These are the 3 modes available at your disposal to get the best out of your engine. I don’t feel the vehicle is sluggish in City or Sport mode even in city. Once you get the hang of Accelerator then you can easily modulate the vehicle. I often drive in peak hour traffic in Pune and sometimes in a decent traffic volume. The vehicle reacts as per my requirements and expectation. Yes, there is a lag but that’s expected out of a diesel vehicle.
  7. Fit & Finish :- Sigh. The less said the better. If you have an eye for minute details then TATA & Mahindra aren’t right vehicle for you. I personally am fine with electronic and fit and finish glitches as long as the vehicle is Mechanically sound which the harrier is.
  8. Road presence :- May I present to you , Dark Editon. I still feel Harrier is the best looking Mid size SUV in the market. People still look at it and Harrier itself is “attitude personified”
  9. After Sales :- The bane of all TATA, Mahindra & Jeep vehicles. I would strongly urge you & I can’t emphasise this enough, please get a report on Tata service centre in your city. TATA’s servicing is as consistent as KL Rahul’s performance in last World Cup.

Harrier has its pros and cons but I absolutely love mine. The vehicle drives and handles well, is comfortable for driver and co passengers, it is spacious and well built. I don’t have any regrets about buying the vehicle except one which is “I should have bought it in black”.

Why don’t you TD Hyundai Tucson and VW Tiguan as well?

Innova Diesel is back in market. It can be a trust worthy and a reliable companion for a long duration to you as well.

Happy Hunting.

Cheers!

Last edited by BleueNinja : 31st January 2023 at 04:21.
BleueNinja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 05:13   #377
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Considering the feature set required Here are the options worth considering:

1. Tata Harrier XZA Plus
The Harrier is one of the best options n your budget with a superb stance, powerful and refined motors with very little NVH (Same engine as in the Compass, Hector), an automatic gearbox with smooth power delivery and seamless shifts with a comfortable cabin and loads of space on the inside. However, it does have a firm low-speed ride and the quality of the car has been reported to be inconsistent, with a few niggles here and there. What I would suggest is, if you have the time, you ought to wait for the New Harrier which should probably launch this year itself.

2. MG Hector Sharp Pro 2.0 Turbo Diesel
The recently launched Hector is loaded with kit, has an immense road presence, spacious interiors, smooth diesel powertrain (same as Harrier), and has an absorbent ride and is great for long-distance traveling. However, the body roll is pronounced and the large proportions make it a handful in corners, and isn't as exciting to drive as the Harrier or the Compass.

3. Jeep Compass Limited(O) 4X4 Automatic
Premium looks, 4x4 Capability, excellent ride quality, and the Jeep heritage make it a great buy, However, the steep price tag, inexhaustive feature list, and rear seat space are not in its favor.

4. Toyota Innova Hycross ZX(O) Hybrid 7 seater
Although it wouldn't give you the feel of an SUV but since you are moving from an Ertiga, you would likely appreciate the Hycross, It has solid road presence, spacious interiors, Lots of features and safety equipment, along with a calm, quiet and effortless hybrid engine. However, as initial reports suggest quality and fit and finish do leave a lot to be desired.
bijims is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 22:08   #378
BANNED

Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorp

I would really like to Thank Both members BleueNinja and bijims for their valuable inputs. I have not considered VW Tiguan or Hyundai Tucson due to their steep price tag. I did not consider any of the 7 Seater as I am not replacing My Ertiga while I am looking to replace my Wagon R.

However, things changed a bit today when I talked to the Jeep Dealer and he suggested me to TD Jeep Meridian . Also he was generous enough to offer me more discount on the same.

But, coming back to the main question which car should I buy? Now I am more confused. Should I TD and Consider Meridian If It comes under 35 Lakhs after Discount? Also, this is my stretch maximum budget and not looking to spend anything over this.

Please Help!!

Regards
Old 1st February 2023, 12:03   #379
BHPian

Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorp

Just ignore Meridian. Your requirements rightly point to Harrier (Wait for the upcoming 2023 Harrier if you can). Nothing else. Of course, Compass is to some extent.

Compass is a letdown in 3 areas - unreliability, rear space, and cost. In terms of unreliability, it is worse than a Tata/M&M, while the ASS experience is also not so good. The car is too small for its price tag, especially the rear seats. And compared to Harrier, it is almost 6-8 lakhs more expensive, which is definitely not worth it.

As an ex-Harrier owner, I definitely vouch for Harrier as a product. The only deal-breaking letdown of Harrier is its unreliability and poor ASS experience again. I am in the process of buying my next car (replacement for Harrier). Still, I would say, in terms of driving dynamics, <50L, there are the best 5-seaters (in the same order) - Tiguan > Compass > Harrier > Tucson. In terms of ride/comfort, it will be Harrier = Tucson > Compass > Tiguan. In terms of handling it will be Tiguan > Compass > Tucson = Harrier.
Please note that Harrier is the only car with HPS that gives the best feedback for an enthusiast. Of course, Tata should have tuned it slightly better, especially at the high speeds to make it a little heavy.
In <50L, the only 7 seater that ticks all boxes (but mileage and cost) is the Kodiaq.

PS - My max budget is the same as yours (35L). This is my thread for you to check out https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...ar-next-2.html

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 1st February 2023 at 12:07.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 18:44   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARCASTICTRAVLR View Post
This is my first ever post ...

I have been Owning a Wagon R VXI 2018 Model done around 1.1 Lakh KMS on that. Also it is used as a secondary car as I also own a Ertiga VDI 2020 BS-4 Model. Have done almost 1.4 Lakh Kms on the Ertiga. I am into some automobile business and my work requires me to travel a lot. Sometimes it can be 300-400 odd kms in a day. I also like to go for some drives once in a 3-4 months time and that can be around 2000 odd kms in 3-4 days. My work drives are 70 % chauffeur Driven while my weekend or vacation drives are almost 90 % driven by me. ...
Welcome to the forum, mate.

Sharing a few thoughts and suggestions based on what I understand of your use-case below:

Please go through my somewhat elaborate replies to @NPV (link), and to @Livnletcarsliv (link). Some of it will apply in your case too.

The badges would actually cost more than what the initial cost suggests with more expensive repairs, and likely much more depreciation, besides initial interest costs etc. Think well before going there. It would also likely mean that you have upped the benchmark for subsequent vehicle purchases.

With your kind of usage, besides the bragging rights/style/attitude etc, you also need ample practicality and the vehicle being good both from the driver's seat and also to be driven in. This thread will have much relevant info for you, but will be a long read, so adding a few basic pointers. Will elaborate further once you have a shorter and more focused shortlist.

For regular highway use, you'll appreciate an engine with ample torque, especially in the middle bands. Diesels are usually good here. I'm not sure of the quality of roads on your routes, but imagine them to have much ample bad roads too. Easy service backup would also be helpful. Comments below are about Diesels, and my experience was mainly with the MTs (manual transmissions)

Jeep Compass: Wonderful from the driver's seat. A sense of hatch-like nimbleness. This one works well as a package for the purpose (good chassis, feel of good weight distribution matched with suitable suspension setup, ample torque etc). It is quite a fun package. Small cabin size and the lack of space on the rear bench makes it a poor package to be driven around in. Also not really a comfy ride per spend-segment. Reliability issues (as discussed earlier in the thread, it has many issues despite selling way lesser than the Indian ones in the segment). Few dealerships etc (no inter-dealer competition).

Jeep Meridian
too is similar. I'd say skip the two unless you value the batch hugely, or driving pleasure trumps all else. There are more issues about Jeep discussed earlier in the thread.

Harrier: The steering here would not have the quickness of the Jeep. It has a Hydraulic Steering setup. It does provide more and proper feedback than the others. To understand this better, you'll find links in the above-mentioned reply to NPV. Also check posts from @Bleueninja. The Harrier has been my pick from the segment up to 30L for highways from the beginning, a year ago, and that remains even now.

Though well tuned and I do appreciate it, this one has a torsion beam suspension, whereas many in the list have an independent suspension at the rear. Torsion beams are less suited for getting both - good ride and good handling, but for a torsion beam, this one is good. They are also often a bit more hardy and cheaper to repair.

Both the above, Compass and Harrier have a knee-console issue. Again discussed earlier in the thread at fair length, including a video of that being made thanks to @udhaw. The opinion about this was reviewed further in the thread (second round of TDs)

If going for this, choose the variant wisely, as only some have disc brakes at the rear; something which is valuable in my books.

MG Hector: Not on your list,but issues with the company notwithstanding (discussed earlier), it feels the most premium of the sub-30L lot. The interior is more tasteful and has a good finish. I guess it would be even better in the revised 2023 model. It has the best rear bench space. For 4 people, even more than the Alturas G4, I think, and that is almost a segment bigger than the Fortuner in terms of size. It has a soft suspension, which would keep you very comfortable at city speeds. Many enjoy it on the highway too, but has to be driven in accordance of it's design: soft suspension, narrow, tall, EPS (Electric Power Steering). Very few complaints about this one. For many, this would make a better statement than a Tata or a Mahindra due to overall brand-perception, which is hugely variable due to it's China-links. If your highway journeys are more relaxed, you just might like this. This also has a torsion beam suspension. Do test drive if you aren't blocked about the brand. [Edit: do make sure to try it on poor roads and on both front and back, to get a feel of the suspension of this one]

Tiguan: Haven't tried, but do consider if you want to go for a VW/Skoda with all the stories from owners about it's reliability; more so when you aren't based in a metro. I would keep away.

Tucson: This makes a good case. Not a common vehicle and unlikely to be. Within your budget. Independent suspension. Excellent engine. EPS - poor feedback, but easy to drive. Good balance of ride and handling. Do TD it.

With Hyundai's record and widespread network should bring peace of mind. Do keep in mind that this is a CKD, so you would get a world-standard car. Less likely to fail, but some parts might be expensive or warrant a wait for procurement.

XUV700: Please reconsider this one. As far as I know, it is only the rear lid which is of fibre. Fibre of different type is used in many cars. Carbon Fibre, in fact, is used with much pride in sports cars to reduce weight while retaining strength.

This one has the highest torque engine, IIRC. It is quick; really quick. What it lacks is steering feedback, like most others (except Harrier in this list), but is what most people expect nowadays - easy soft steering (not to my specific taste, however). Drives close to a Compass - like it's elder brother. Quite nimble, quick weight transfer, way more zippy, much more space, and both have independent suspension at the rear. In some sense, also a bit like an Indian Tucson (EPS, IRS, fairly quiet, zippy high torque engines).

Do take a TD of a good sample. This might be very well suited to your use case. It also has ADAS which has limited use in the Indian context, but might come handy in foggy weather and for alerts. Also a high safety rating (opinions on this too earlier in the thread).

Further:

Of your final list, do have a TD of at least an hour to sense the NVH. For me, the XUV700 topped the charts, and the Harrier was the poorest. There is a post with details of this a bit before the Scropio N report.

In a nutshell, based on what you give more importance to, you could shortlist to Tucson, Hector, Harrier and XUV700. Tucson for the exclusivity and overall package, but at a premium. Harrier and 700 as one of the large bunch, but cheaper. Hector, more refined and trouble-free than the Harrier and 700.

Hector purely based on your TD and personal taste. If you were to mainly drive yourself, and NVH and knee-console issue wasn't one bothering you, I'd nudge you to a Harrier, but in your case, the XUV700 just might be a tad more suitable overall balance.

The pick between Harrier and XUV700 could also be based on what kind of workshop feedback you get for your city, as this varies a lot, and should be a significant part of your decision making for the Indian brands here.

PS: If you enjoy the presence of a large vehicle, you just might enjoy the Scorpio N. That would be a from-the-heart choice. Logically, for your use case, it doesn't seem appropriate, and there are discussions with @RijuC earlier on the thread about this.

Edit: You might also find this Guide to Test Drives useful:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-new-cars.html (Guide: How to take Effective Test-Drives of new cars)

Last edited by Poitive : 1st February 2023 at 19:05. Reason: Minor additions.
Poitive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 04:05   #381
BANNED

I would like to thank Poitive for a warm welcome and also for a very deeply analysed list of recommended options for me. Also for guiding me to the test drive post. Have learned a lot from your post. Will always be thankful for that.

I would also like to thank Livnletcarsliv for suggestions.

I would also like to thank bijims for suggesting the crisp choices of the lot and trimming my options to best ones.

I would also like to thank BleueNinja for sharing his experience with harrier and giving an unbiased opinion.

With all due respect I would like to share my story of some second TDs and how I arrived at a decision of Booking my next Big Leap from a Wagon R. Would also seek on some suggestions regarding the same before I take the delivery of the vehicle.

The Second TD Story

Harrier Manual
1) Stiff and Heavy Steering made it tough to maneuver in city traffic.
2) The Manual Gear at lower speeds mostly due to my improper clutching gave us many bumps and did shut down the engine mid way many times.
3) A sharp U turn on the Highway became a nightmare when the car suddenly shut down on the middle of a very busy highway. Also made us all panic and immediately made this Harrier out of our list.

Harrier Automatic
1) Felt sluggish again in the City and Eco Mode.
2) Though this one did not shut down ever but still the bulky size and heavy steering made me concious while driving.
3) My height being 5'6" and weight approx 68 KGs with this type of built the Hydraulic Steering felt a lot heavy and not of my type while on the driving seat.
4) Rear Ride Quality Was Mediocre and Not Very Best. The Space Was Awesome at the Back But not a deal breaker for us.

Tata Safari Manual
1) Everything was same like a Manual Harrier. Similar bumpy ride and engine getting off in between due to improper clutching.
2) The last row was very bumpy and very uncomfortable.
3) Same Engine for a Body Weight almost 150 KGs heavier than the Harrier made this choice out of the league.
4) Seven Seater Was Never My Requirement.

Couldn't consider Hyundai Tucson due to 11 Months waiting time and Hyundai Dealerships We Sell Many Cars Attitude

Couldn't Consider MG Hector due to its single digit mileage and non reliability issue of the brand and service centre

Couldn't consider VW TIGUAN and SKODA KODIAQ due to their Steep Pricing

Because of all of the above

JEEP COMPASS BOOKING DAY
So we left home for Raipur at 4 PM and reached dealership at around 6:30 PM.

TD of Compass 4 by 4 Automatic
1) Excellent Steering Response
2) Easy to Maneuver in both city and highway
3) Best Rear Ride Experience
4) Premium Badging Feel
5) Premium Interiors
6) Heavy Doors and Side Panels Made It Feel More Safe
7) Almost Zero Cabin Noise
8) Best and Most Elaborate TD By Any Brands
9) Different Modes in 4 by 4 (Snow, Sand, Auto, 4WD Low and 4WD Deff Lock) gave it a proper off Roading Vehicle Badge.
10) Not Very Bulky but still has an excellent Road Presence.

TD of Compass Manual
1) Very Smooth Gear Shift
2) Very Soft Clutching
3) The Manual Shifting Brought A Smile With the feel of Revving up the engine
4) Smooth Steering and Easy to Maneuver
5) No power lag from gear 1 to gear 6
6) Ability to pickup from low speed on higher gears without bumps or without engine getting stressed or without engine stopping in between was an awesome feeling.(Specially after the safari and harrier manual experience)
7) City Driving was also smooth with very less gear change demands from the vehicle and also a very soft and smooth clutch of the vehicle. (Mostly because the vehicle was very new and not even driven a 1000 kms)

The Showroom Experience
1) This was the dealership where we were never judged irrespective of the fact that on the first day we just went there in a Wagon R and also in a very light manner just to take a fun test drive only to book something in the range of Creta or Grand Vitara.
2) Personal Attention From Every Team Member.
3) The Elaborate Test Drives and Never say No Attitude.
4) The personal attention and interaction with the Showroom Owner.
5) The Workshop Visit where we saw The Huge Wrangler along with Many Jeep Compass. This immediately gave me a sense of belonging to that niche off roading community of India.
6) Sweet Deal Of Discount Offered By Jeep for its customers.

BOOKING WHITE MANUAL JEEP COMPASS LIMITED (O) VARIANT
So finally after almost 3 to 4 hours of brain storming at the Jeep Showroom including some on call suggestions from friends and family. Also some personal suggestions from the Jeep Dealer Owner. I closed the deal with a White Jeep Compass Manual Limited (O) variant because Sunroof Was One of the critical criteria I wanted in my car for My Son's Happy Face.

Though I returned home Happy. But as soon as I started talking to more people and telling them that I booked a manual variant many of them started suggesting to change the booking to an Automatic 4 by 4 variant. Thus my big question now is

Should I reconsider and change my booking to a JEEP COMPASS LIMITED (O) AUTOMATIC 4 BY 4

Please suggest considering the below :-
1) Price Difference Of 4 Lakhs In Manual & AT 4 by 4
2) Car Will Be Driven 70 Percent By Me & 30 Percent By Driver or Others thus my driving comfort is also a must
3) We in Chhattisgarh don't actually have any relevant 4 by 4 tracks or events
4) We don't have any such roads or hills near us where we require the capability of 4 by 4
5) I do drive long distances to Indore, Puri, Bhopal, Pachmadhi and even plan to Go to Spiti, Ladakh, Bangalore, Puducherry and Goa In My New Jeep. All these trips were and will always be self driven and no drivers are taken on the same.
6) Due to the 4 by 4 during the TDs we have felt a power lag in the Automatic compass. (The initial revv or pickup from zero feels very delayed) It can be because I don't have any experience of an Automatic vehicle.
7) Mileage of 12 for an Automatic while 14 for a Manual with my average running of around 3000 KMS a Month.
8) Wanted this car for my wife also. Though she is very new to driving and with our new born daughter she won't be driving for atleast 6 months to 1 year. But we want to keep this car for atleast 4-5 years and enjoy long family trips on the same with wife enjoying the drive equally as I do.

I have the option of changing the booking right now. Please suggest me the right variant.
Right now, I am one of those very confused buyers who want to purchase something but, is also scared.
I am like a kid who buys this expensive toy with lot of excitement but, after coming home when parents scold, may end up very sad and unhappy even after spending close to Rs 30 Lakhs.

Please solve the dilemma for me

Thanks a lot for supporting and reading my long exhaustive posts. I am overwhelmed with Team BhPs awesome unconstitutional support and unbiased suggestions. Hope to come home happy with the right varient of Compass with the help of fellow Team BHP members and friends.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th February 2023 at 17:18. Reason: Non forum characters deleted
SARCASTICTRAVLR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 22:49   #382
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I have (finally!) started thinking about replacing my first gen Dzire VXI, please share your thoughts and guide me in my hunt for the next car.

Requirements
1. With pure EV's going to rule the market in the near future, this is my last chance to own an IC engine car, so not looking at Hybrids and EV's
2. Comfortably seat 5 adults and boot big enough to carry luggage for a family tour
3. Primary use on highways, will be sparingly used in the city
4. Having driven small hatchback and sedans, now looking for a crossover/SUV
5. No plans for off roading, so don't need of a True Blue SUV & 4 x 4
6. Engine - I was initially thinking of going with petrol engines but now I'm quite sure it will be a Diesel, preferably 2.0 L
7. Transmission - love driving a manual transmission but open to switch to automatics if they're good
8. Budget - Max. Rs. 30 Lakhs on road
9. Not looking at pre-owned D segment cars, prefer to buy new
10. Waiting time after booking - not really a concern
11. Reliability, Parts quality, Spares availability and Service is important (especially since I've been spoilt by easy access to MGP parts and my choice of FNG's for a few years now)
12. Plan to keep the car for 10 years at least
13. Features like electronic gizmos and sunroof aren't primary concerns

Cars to consider
1. Mahindra XUV 700
2. Tata Harrier
3. MG Hector (no Diesel automatic?)
4. Mahindra Scorpio N
5. Tata Safari
6. Hyundai Tucson (way over budget?)
7. VW Tiguan ? (have no idea about this)
8. Jeep Compass (can't seat 5 adults?)

Am I missing any other potential cars that I need to consider and TD ?

Last edited by NPV : 5th February 2023 at 23:03.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 03:45   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I have (finally!) started thinking about replacing my first gen Dzire VXI, please share your thoughts and guide me in my hunt for the next car.

Cars to consider
1. Mahindra XUV 700
2. Tata Harrier
4. Mahindra Scorpio N
5. Tata Safari

Compass is a bit cramped in rear.
Safari is 7 seater plus I feel harrier is a bit better to drive. (Personal opinion)
Tucson and Tiguan are beyond your prescribed budget.
Hector doesn’t have a diesel automatic. So if automatic is a must for you then you will have to discard it.

You don’t necessarily need off road capabilities as mentioned by you.

With your price budget and requirements stated two best options for you are Harrier and XUV 700.

Part and service availability is not an issue with these two Desi Giants.

They both provide SUVs with 2.0 L and 2.2L Diesel engines and their power to torque ratio is almost comparable.

You can refer to my answer I have a few posts above on my detailed experience with Harrier. Harrier XZA (S) would be the pick of the lot as It’s well balanced, cheaper than XUV 700 AX7 L and comes with 4 disc brakes. AT gearbox of Harrier is better tuned than XUV 700.

I would recommend XUV700 AX7 L D AT to you. It’s available with a shorter wait time compared to other variants as long as you are flexible with colour choices. Explosive power, host of features, better manual transmission than TATA, Multi link suspension, EPS & of course the forum favourite

Last edited by BleueNinja : 6th February 2023 at 04:14.
BleueNinja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 09:33   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Comfortably seat 5 adults and boot big enough to carry luggage for a family tour
6. Engine - I was initially thinking of going with petrol engines but now I'm quite sure it will be a Diesel, preferably 2.0 L
7. Transmission - love driving a manual transmission but open to switch to automatics if they're good
You are now in the premium car price range - AT is a must.
Book the XUV7OO AX7 -L- Diesel AT first and then continue your search

Given BS6, make sure to use your diesel cars carefully, give them a highway run once in a few weeks or at least once a month, that should keep them healthy for long.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 12:33   #385
BHPian

Quote:
1) Price Difference Of 4 Lakhs In Manual & AT 4 by 4
2) Car Will Be Driven 70 Percent By Me & 30 Percent By Driver or Others thus my driving comfort is also a must
3) We in Chhattisgarh don't actually have any relevant 4 by 4 tracks or events
4) We don't have any such roads or hills near us where we require the capability of 4 by 4
5) I do drive long distances to Indore, Puri, Bhopal, Pachmadhi and even plan to Go to Spiti, Ladakh, Bangalore, Puducherry and Goa In My New Jeep. All these trips were and will always be self driven and no drivers are taken on the same.
6) Due to the 4 by 4 during the TDs we have felt a power lag in the Automatic compass. (The initial revv or pickup from zero feels very delayed) It can be because I don't have any experience of an Automatic vehicle.
7) Mileage of 12 for an Automatic while 14 for a Manual with my average running of around 3000 KMS a Month.
8) Wanted this car for my wife also. Though she is very new to driving and with our new born daughter she won't be driving for atleast 6 months to 1 year. But we want to keep this car for atleast 4-5 years and enjoy long family trips on the same with wife enjoying the drive equally as I do.
Congratulations on your booking!

The power lag that you felt in the 4*4 during the TDs is not because of the 4*4 itself. It is actually because of the poorly tuned 9-speed auto. In fact, the Compass diesel auto is a serious letdown in terms of driving dynamics, especially in the performance area. The leg is felt significantly.
Since you don't do off-roading, your liking towards manual, and your running is also very high (even a 1km/liter difference makes an impact), I recommend you to stick to the manual. No torque converter automatic can match the performance of a manual. However, the only point (if you choose to go with manual) to consider is your wife's driving needs.
Other than your wife's driving needs, there is no reason that you choose the 4*4 auto over a manual.
Old 6th February 2023, 13:05   #386
BHPian

Quote:
1. With pure EV's going to rule the market in the near future, this is my last chance to own an IC engine car, so not looking at Hybrids and EV's
9. Not looking at pre-owned D segment cars, prefer to buy new
10. Waiting time after booking - not really a concern
11. Reliability, Parts quality, Spares availability and Service is important (especially since I've been spoilt by easy access to MGP parts and my choice of FNG's for a few years now)
12. Plan to keep the car for 10 years at least
13. Features like electronic gizmos and sunroof aren't primary concerns

Cars to consider
1. Mahindra XUV 700
2. Tata Harrier
4. Mahindra Scorpio N
5. Tata Safari

Since you did not mention your expected monthly odo range and you are specific about diesels, I assume that it will be >=1300kms/month approximately.

From your list based on your requirements, Safari & 700 (7 seaters), Tiguan (No diesel + at least 39-40L ONR BLR), and Tucson (at least 38L ONR for the diesel auto) are ruled out. Regarding the Scorpio N, it is a body-on-frame car which means it will have a significant body roll, especially on the highways. Since most of your use is on the highways and no off-roading/no bad road usage, a 700 is 100% better than a Scorpio from the M&M stable. By the way, the Scorpio N is best enjoyed in the 4*4 variant.
Now down to Harrier vs Hector vs Compass, please take extensive TDs of all 3 (both Manual and Automatic) to compare and shortlist.
For your highway use, Harrier and Compass are the best. Hector is the best for City use. Compass is strictly not a 5-seater with limited boot space. Regarding the service and parts availability, Compass scores poor, Harrier is better (parts availability is the best, but ASS experience is not so good) and Hector is the best.

PS - If you can stretch your budget, then Tucson is the best choice of the lot since you are ready to wait (waiting period of 5-8 months for Tucson) and you want to hold your car for 8-10 years. Regarding the Harrier, the facelift is just around the corner (expected by March/April).
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 15:44   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Regarding the Harrier, the facelift is just around the corner (expected by March/April).
I think it's more of an iterative upgrade that is scheduled for March and a full blown facelift by the end of the year. TATA seems to be following the agile model of development.

They have given some much needed features and have done some improvements but I wouldn't necessarily call it a facelift.

Feature Set added : 360 Degree Camera, ADAS, illuminated roof liner, electric adjusted passenger seat and a new MID Screen.

Improvements : Thank the lord they decided to be done with that silly infotainment and add a new Harman sourced system. Although that doesn't look that well integrated but Functionality over form I guess.

Off topic :- I also really appreciate the fact that you had a harrier which didn't bode well for you yet you give unbiased feedback on the vehicle to help fellow forum members. In a world of misinformation where people are passing judgement on a vehicle without even experiencing it based on biases your reviews have been very genuine, kudos to your sir.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 6th February 2023 at 15:46.
BleueNinja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 18:58   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
I think it's more of an iterative upgrade that is scheduled for March and a full blown facelift by the end of the year. TATA seems to be following the agile model of development.

They have given some much needed features and have done some improvements but I wouldn't necessarily call it a facelift.

Feature Set added : 360 Degree Camera, ADAS, illuminated roof liner, electric adjusted passenger seat and a new MID Screen.

Improvements : Thank the lord they decided to be done with that silly infotainment and add a new Harman sourced system. Although that doesn't look that well integrated but Functionality over form I guess.

Off topic :- I also really appreciate the fact that you had a harrier which didn't bode well for you yet you give unbiased feedback on the vehicle to help fellow forum members. In a world of misinformation where people are passing judgement on a vehicle without even experiencing it based on biases your reviews have been very genuine, kudos to your sir.
Thank you very much for your appreciation.
As I always say "Harrier is a right product in the wrong hands". If Harrier was in good hands (Hyundai, Skoda, VW, Renault, Nissan, Kia, MG), then it would have been a game-changer. Even now, unreliability, poor ASS experience, and poor fit and finish are 3 of the major factors that are making Harrier a product to be kept off/undesired. The ownership experience of Harrier is a huge risk - a huge gamble. Unfortunately, for me, it was a risk that ended badly.

Regarding your point of iterative upgrade, it absolutely true that Tata does this in all its models. In fact, with their stupid mantra of "Newer Forever," they go to the extent of monthly and quarterly updates in their models. There are a lot of features (even minor ones), that have been updated/included in Harrier over the months and years. IMHO, this is an absolutely bad move and poor execution by such an experienced, powerful, and impactful brand.

I really don't think Harrier will be given 2 updates in the same year (I reserve my judgment though). I hope Tata learns what the market expects - for enthusiasts as well as normal consumers.
Old 7th February 2023, 17:08   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Please solve the dilemma for me
Congratulations on booking Compass. Do not bother what others have to say about your choice of vehicle as it’s your car and you have to live with it. Pay heed to their advices and rationalise because you should be the one who should get a smile or a proud feeling whenever you look at it.

I mean, Harrier has to be one of the most advised against car on the internet due to various issues yet I went YOLO because I love the car.

Two things :

First, Manual VS Automatic is a very personal decision. Yes, it is also dictated by external factors like traffic volume you face plus your kms covered yet at the end of the day it’s all about your comfort.

Having said that I would also like to stay that AT gearboxes do offer their own set of advantages primarily comfort & convenience. However I am not a fan of compass’s 9 step DCT. It just doesn’t feel well calibrated.

Second, be sure to verify the A.S.S experience that other Jeep consumers have had and the official Jeep SC is available near to you.
Reliability issues can arise in a Honda & a Toyota as well hence it’s important that if you are plonking 30 lacs or more you are not running here and there to get minute things fixed.

You can also give Innova a shot since the diesel variant is back on sale. You are chauffeur driven sometimes hence it would be a comfortable vehicle for you and your family members.

Cheers!

Last edited by BleueNinja : 7th February 2023 at 17:35.
Old 8th February 2023, 09:36   #390
BHPian

Is there any AWD with AT within 18 Lakhs OTR (16-17 Lakhs Ex-showroom) available, or expected to be launched within a year?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks