Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2009, 06:14   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

the bolero crde has a 2.49 crde engine which develops 97 bhp
the xylo has an M Eagle 2.5 Crde engine developing 112 BHP- this has an intercooler according to the Mahindra tech chaps.

both these engines are refined and feel nice to drive.

Scorp 2.6 Crde normal engine develops 115 BHP - this engine is also a nice engine.
and Scorp MHawk is a 2.2 Crde upgraded engine which develops 120 BHP - this is the best engine in the Mahindra stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
It's called the mEagle engine by M&M. The Scorpio has the mHawk. No major difference on paper: 112 bhp vs 120 for the mHawk. In feel there apparently is!
Old 23rd January 2009, 06:26   #47
BANNED

I decline to comment on your general statements about Xylo and the ad etc as these may be your opinion which I dont necessarily agree with.

The comfort and ease "specs" you wanted are below:
1. There are 4 variants of Xylo - E2 - 8 seater, E 4 - 8 Seater, E6 - 7 Seater and the top end one E8 - 7 Seater with captain seats.
2. Top end costs 9.26L OTR BLR
3. Features for comfort are listed: HVAC, Surround cool dual ACs,Full floor console, Power steering, puddle lamps, tilt steering, keyless entry, central locking, illumination ring, power window (anti pinch), 2 DIN audio system (Im not sure what this is really), Rear defogger, Remote electric fuel lid opener, Intellipark reverse assist, Tubeless tyres (215 75 R 15), Alloy wheels, Theatre style seating, flat bed front seats, armrest for driver and passenger, 3 position lumbar support for front and middle row captain seats, height adjustable driver seat, foldable flight trays, foldable armrest in middle and back seats with utility spaces,mobile charging points front and middle, reading lamps, roof console for sunglass holder, Drive Assist system on dash, digi clock, rear wiper and washer.

One good thing here is the turning radius is 5.4 Metres compared with the Linea which is 5.55 metres.

The Xylo is a good option for larger families/ groups of people who like to get about in comfort and probably are chauffeur driven - which is why the taxi segment is the target. Ideal transport according to me for a group of execs heading to the airport for example with luggage etc or for a family on a pilgrimage or for people on a golfing holiday. In ref to the similarly loaded Innova, the Xylo is about 1 lac odd less expensive and therefore a good value proposition. Also, Mahindra vehicles are generally less expensive to service and maintain which will help in reducing overall running costs.

notwithstanding various opinions/ bias etc, I believe in all fairness, one should give credit where credit is due. IMO, this is a good effort at the "luxury/ upper end" people mover segment from Mahindra.

Since the vehicle comes with alloys, IMO, a tyre upsize to 235 70 15 would be a good idea - which will add to passenger comfort and ride quality as well as better stability around corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
It looks "irritated" from the front view, and the back view styling doesn't not match with the front view. Therefore it looks ugly. a better redesign of the front (esp the grille and headlights) would make this car much pleasing to look at

For the pricing it seems to be a good option really. Should sell if doesn't throw up issues. Anyinfo about the technical specifications of this car ? and features for passenger comfort and ease ? I do not know the specs.

now now,
the TV AD IS STUPID (Geez !) its no way a sedan killer ... maybe they should have used the logan instead of the car that was crunched by the container box from which the Xylo came out tab sahi hota..

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd January 2009 at 06:31.
Old 23rd January 2009, 08:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

With everyone "doubting" about the Logan being the sedan the ad was talking, the recent paper ads mentioned it in fine print as below

* Sedan is a 3 box vehicle.

Old 23rd January 2009, 09:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

You missed the Innov'a', Indic'a' along with Trave'a'

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
One more for taxi-folks. Sumo, Bolero, Rhino, Scorpio (new fav.) and now Xylo. Why do all taxi vehicles names end with O (Tavera a near miss)? :O
And to come to the subject, the era of Sedans is definately not over...M&M pls change your ad agency
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

three threads on T-BHP carrying the same content.... xylo bashing!

i dont understand what people are upset about? infact many of those who are complaining have not seen the xylo in flesh till now!

the main problem that many T-BHPians have is:

1) the front grille: cmon guys, styling is subjective. even i feel the grille is awkward, but then every vehicle has some or the other defect.

2) tht TV ad: now are you guys telling me that the verdict on the vehicle will be based upon the TV ad? i understand some displeasure because of that crazy ad but three threads full of taunts?

3) plastic quality: now here, many are comparing it to the innova. now the xylo is 2 lakhs cheaper than the innova, for 2 lakhs more, even it can give you good plastics. but then if the xylo is priced at 11 lakhs, alongside the innova, will you buy a toyota or a mahindra? then many will complain that its overpriced like the scorpio.

i have seen very few having positive remarks about the vehicle and those few are actually the ones who has seen or TD the vehicle. i did not get to TD the xylo but i sat in the xylo at the auto show. i must say, i was very impressed with the interiors. now, i am an innova owner but i wont compare it to the innova. i will compare it to the grande/bolero/tavera. i am 6'1" tall and i found the last row very spacious. infact all the seats were more spacious than the innova. they felt very comfortable too. there are lot of practical touches which has been discussed aplenty in this forum (and also ignored).

but guess we do not want to discuss the positive virtues of any vehicle here. all we want to do is bash up its image because its grille is ugly and its TV AD is pathetic. all we like is taunt the manufacturer because their marketing was not good even though the product is good. but heck, why should we care about the product? its after all the AD that matters.

no offence intended to anybody.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 23rd January 2009 at 10:23.
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

i dont understand what people are upset about? infact many of those who are complaining have not seen the xylo in flesh till now!

but guess we do not want to discuss the positive virtues of any vehicle here. all we want to do is bash up its image because its grille is ugly and its TV AD is pathetic. all we like is taunt the manufacturer because their marketing was not good even though the product is good. but heck, why should we care about the product? its after all the AD that matters.

Raj Bhai, what you say is absolutely right. I also agree that when it comes to bashing a vehicle (this time Poor Infant Xylo) we all contribute with a great enthusiasm, overlooking good bits.
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:55   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the bolero crde has a 2.49 crde engine which develops 97 bhp
the xylo has an M Eagle 2.5 Crde engine developing 112 BHP- this has an intercooler according to the Mahindra tech chaps.

both these engines are refined and feel nice to drive.

Scorp 2.6 Crde normal engine develops 115 BHP - this engine is also a nice engine.
and Scorp MHawk is a 2.2 Crde upgraded engine which develops 120 BHP - this is the best engine in the Mahindra stable.
A small question. Are we looking into the same crde engine on the all the models from Mahindra, the only difference being that the ECU is tuned to develop different power & torque levels.

cheers:
Old 23rd January 2009, 13:58   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
A small question. Are we looking into the same crde engine on the all the models from Mahindra, the only difference being that the ECU is tuned to develop different power & torque levels.

cheers:
i think,

the bolero 2.5 and scorpio 2.6 CRDe engines are different.
the mEagle engine in xylo is a re-tuned version of the bolero CRDe engine.

the mHawk CRDe engine is different altogether.
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:23   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
It looks "irritated" from the front view, and the back view styling doesn't not match with the front view. Therefore it looks ugly. a better redesign of the front (esp the grille and headlights) would make this car much pleasing to look at
More than an irritated look, I thought the Xylo had an animal look about it's face. A buffalo or something. Despite that, I don't think it looks that bad, let alone ugly. I would take the Xylo's looks over that of a Tavera or Safari any day. I know people will scream at me for bringing Safari into this, but then that's my opinion.
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
More than an irritated look, I thought the Xylo had an animal look about it's face. A buffalo or something. Despite that, I don't think it looks that bad, let alone ugly. I would take the Xylo's looks over that of a Tavera or Safari any day. I know people will scream at me for bringing Safari into this, but then that's my opinion.
I'm saying nothing against anybody!
My preference runs strongly to the classic 'jeep' grille on the front!
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:30   #56
BHPian

Friends,

I am the one who initiated this thread.

I wanted to know in simple terms :

1. For the same cost aren't we getting more space and comfort?

2. What are the economics of maintaining such a big vehicle and what could be the difference in their mileage, their spare parts pricing etc. The sales guys say Xylo would give about 12 km/lit while Linea would give about 15 km/lit.

3. Which would get a better resale value at the end of say 5 years.

4. Any other points to be considered before selecting a vehicle.

Unfortunately, this thread has developed into a Xylo bashing thread and personal bickering. I am extremely sorry about that.
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:42   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitindangoria View Post
Friends,

I am the one who initiated this thread.

I wanted to know in simple terms :

1. For the same cost aren't we getting more space and comfort?

2. What are the economics of maintaining such a big vehicle and what could be the difference in their mileage, their spare parts pricing etc. The sales guys say Xylo would give about 12 km/lit while Linea would give about 15 km/lit.

3. Which would get a better resale value at the end of say 5 years.

4. Any other points to be considered before selecting a vehicle.

Unfortunately, this thread has developed into a Xylo bashing thread and personal bickering. I am extremely sorry about that.
1. Yes its VFM for the same price getting 2/3 seats extra.
2. It will be economical being local brank and M&M good network. You will find good old road side mechanics easily for this beast.
3. I would say Xylo as compared to Linea, Fiat cars has very very low resale except in few states here. Moreover Xylo being 7/8 seater option attracts Taxi operators too in second hand market.
4. only thing I can say being both vehicle new wait for few months if you can for owners review, but if you can't then go for the one which your heart says.
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:59   #58
BHPian

Saw a black xylo today, its looks better than the red since the "black grill" doesnt contrast with the colour.

Finish is excellent though !.

the guy still had seat plastic on .. **sigh**
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:12   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

the main problem that many T-BHPians have is:

1) the front grille: cmon guys, styling is subjective. even i feel the grille is awkward, but then every vehicle has some or the other defect.

2) tht TV ad: now are you guys telling me that the verdict on the vehicle will be based upon the TV ad? i understand some displeasure because of that crazy ad but three threads full of taunts?

3) plastic quality: now here, many are comparing it to the innova. now the xylo is 2 lakhs cheaper than the innova, for 2 lakhs more, even it can give you good plastics. but then if the xylo is priced at 11 lakhs, alongside the innova, will you buy a toyota or a mahindra? then many will complain that its overpriced like the scorpio.

i have seen very few having positive remarks about the vehicle and those few are actually the ones who has seen or TD the vehicle. i did not get to TD the xylo but i sat in the xylo at the auto show. i must say, i was very impressed with the interiors. now, i am an innova owner but i wont compare it to the innova. i will compare it to the grande/bolero/tavera. i am 6'1" tall and i found the last row very spacious. infact all the seats were more spacious than the innova. they felt very comfortable too. there are lot of practical touches which has been discussed aplenty in this forum (and also ignored).

Spot on dear Raj, confidence is some times perceived as audacity.
Old 23rd January 2009, 18:55   #60
BANNED

not really

the Scorpio Crde 2.6 is the old generation engine
a de-tuned version of the same has been stuffed into the Bolero Crde

the Scorpio MHawk Engine is a 2.2 (new generation)
and a slightly upgraded version of this has been stuffed into the Xylo - in Xylo they call it the M Eagle engine - 2.5 Crde with Intercooler I believe.

the BHP figures remain the same as claimed by them and as I ve written in my earlier post

cheerio

shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post

cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks