Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2009, 17:55   #91
Senior - BHPian

Hehe. Was hoping to sit down with wifey and discuss it over breakfast till a decision was reached - she had unscheduled site visits cropping up and has been away on multiple trips since 7:30am :( Gotta have the buy-in, you see! Have asked Sunish for a few hours more.

Personally, I'm in. Tho the ideal offer eludes me even now. Perhaps 7pm or thereabouts.

Quick question : our car usually stays parked most of the week - its usually weekends that its taken out and occasionally one or two trips a week. Is the Safari sensitive about such things ?
Old 14th February 2009, 18:24   #92
Senior - BHPian

hi, the safari is a more sensitive vehicle to maintain than the Honda, in most aspects. But the comfort and ride it gives you is way superior to the Honda.

Interesting to see the seller himself come on the forum and talk about his reasons for the expenses involved: Great.

What I am foxed about is the bonnet dent and windscreen crack due to the stones falling out of a tipper up front. Even Hrag has had a similar issue.

Is the Safari so weak to have a dent and a windscreen crack or do i smell something here?

I too have had this "stone falling off a tipper" issue on the GQ between Chennai and Vellore, but have been lucky till date!
Old 14th February 2009, 18:30   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
hi, the safari is a more sensitive vehicle to maintain than the Honda, in most aspects.
Thanks! I was specifically interested in whether our style of usage will harm the car etc. We use cycles/buses for commutes most weekdays, so the vehicle is relatively undisturbed
Old 14th February 2009, 21:03   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Interesting to see the seller himself come on the forum and talk about his reasons for the expenses involved: Great.
Is the Safari so weak to have a dent and a windscreen crack or do i smell something here?...
True; as mentioned earlier, having both the seller and prospective buyer putting across their views and reasoning is very interesting.

And Header, come on, do you really smell something? I think its fair and sounds true (unless someone can prove otherwise). Tell me one car / suv / muv / whatever which will not have a dent on the bonnet and a cracked windshield when a stone falls on it from a tipper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Thanks! I was specifically interested in whether our style of usage will harm the car etc. We use cycles/buses for commutes most weekdays, so the vehicle is relatively undisturbed
Modern diesel engines, unlike out old Amby diesels, do not need to be always run, meaning, started and kept running for sometime at regular intervals. They can remain undisturbed for an extended time and remain perfectly OK, if this was your concern.
Old 14th February 2009, 21:15   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Modern diesel engines, unlike out old Amby diesels, do not need to be always run, meaning, started and kept running for sometime at regular intervals. They can remain undisturbed for an extended time and remain perfectly OK, if this was your concern.
agree totally with HappyWheels
I used to drive a Hyundai Accent for 7 years before moving on to the Safari and like ZenX has explained his driving style my usage though not limited to weekends but also not used daily as our office & home is in the same building. This does not mean that the beast is less used or sparingly used. I have clocked 25k kms in 15 months of ownership and have never regretted buying it nor have experienced any faults that were Associated with older diesels.
Dont wory and take the plunge.
Old 14th February 2009, 21:29   #96
Senior - BHPian

Peace! Thanks for the inputs guys, decision made finally.
Did a last check of OHC price on Carwale and it says 2.73-2.85, plus there's the Vtec alloys, audio, Yokos so I'm feeling better on that front

And yes, the Safari is on! Will make an offer and close it asap! [ideally, feel like doing one last longish drive at 3 digit speeds as well, and also get wife to drive it for feel, but looks like that may not happen right now] Thanks TBhp!

Last edited by zenx : 14th February 2009 at 21:31.
Old 14th February 2009, 21:40   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi, the safari is a more sensitive vehicle to maintain than the Honda, in most aspects. But the comfort and ride it gives you is way superior to the Honda.

!
Headers can you please list out the sensitive things in Safari than the Honda.

Quote:
Interesting to see the seller himself come on the forum and talk about his reasons for the expenses involved: Great.

What I am foxed about is the bonnet dent and windscreen crack due to the stones falling out of a tipper up front. Even Hrag has had a similar issue.

Is the Safari so weak to have a dent and a windscreen crack or do i smell something here?

I too have had this "stone falling off a tipper" issue on the GQ between Chennai and Vellore, but have been lucky till date
Headers in Hrag case the stone fell in front of his vehicle went to the side of the road and did not fall on his vehicle.

On an highway if the vehicle is in a good speed even a small piece of a stone also can crack the windscreen.

Mr.Samuel the person who is selling the vehicle has openly said the things in detail and he has some financial constraint for which he is selling the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
And yes, the Safari is on! Will make an offer and close it asap! [ideally, feel like doing one last longish drive at 3 digit speeds as well, and also get wife to drive it for feel, but looks like that may not happen right now] Thanks TBhp!
Congrats Sameer on your decision

Last edited by gowda79 : 14th February 2009 at 21:43.
Old 14th February 2009, 21:56   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Mr.Samuel the person who is selling the vehicle has openly said the things in detail and he has some financial constraint for which he is selling the vehicle.

Congrats Sameer on your decision
Yes, its been a very straightforward, transparent conversation so zero worries on that front. And now I'm pretty convinced I can live with a Safari, and vice-versa!

Thanks Gowda Hope to close this soon and meet all you guys soon.
Old 14th February 2009, 22:15   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I too have had this "stone falling off a tipper" issue on the GQ between Chennai and Vellore, but have been lucky till date!
Seen cars (Accent IIRC) which got a nice 3 inch hole thanks to a 5Rs coin thrown from a bus or so to a place of religious workship. Also, read of someone who lost eyes coz of the above said reason (he took a direct hit).

Relative speed is funny and dangerous. 60 + 60 = 120 and when that's a 100gm mass?
Old 14th February 2009, 22:36   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
And Header, come on, do you really smell something? I think its fair and sounds true (unless someone can prove otherwise).
To begin with, I have a cracked windscreen in my Accent due to a similar incident and hence my speculation:

It all depends on the size of the stone and the speed one is traveling and how close he is tailgating the tipper![Dangerous driving too]

Quote:
Headers can you please list out the sensitive things in Safari than the Honda.
Hope I am not being blunt, but you asked for it

The Safari requires more visits to the service station than a Honda. There are known issues w.r.t HVAC, PS and niggling Electrical issues with Safaris that are rare in a Honda. The service costs of a Safari w.r.t a Honda over the same mileage is atleast 20% higher.

But the comfort and driving experience a safari gives in leagues ahead than the honda anywhere but a race track!

Quote:
Headers in Hrag case the stone fell in front of his vehicle went to the side of the road and did not fall on his vehicle.

On an highway if the vehicle is in a good speed even a small piece of a stone also can crack the windscreen.

I agree with all your points, but have the following queries:
The safari is a pretty tall vehicle unlike a modern saloon car. Hence unless one is taligating the car in front very closely, [which maybe dangerous driving], the stones that fall off the tipper cant bounce to the height of the safari bonnet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Relative speed is funny and dangerous. 60 + 60 = 120 and when that's a 100gm mass?
Yes sir, I agree. infact my accent windscreen also has a smallish crack due to me following a tipper closely and a stone that fell off and hit my vehicle. The crack developed on my windscreen instantly and that incident is still a perfect slow motion in my mind.
Old 14th February 2009, 22:44   #101
BHPian

Once i was walking and a kiddo riding a cycle hit me on right side of me, my left index finger was injured badly, i don't remember what happened, probably i tried blocking him in that tension, but it happened. But ideally a BSA Champ might not hurt someone badly and that kiddo was really small to even fight with, but did not i get hurt badly? Friends still make fun of me, saying a BSA Champ can kill me

A stone can damage, sometimes when walking on the road or riding two wheeler, trucks go through small pebbles on road and it flies and hits you. I am sure most of you know what i am talking about.

Further, i understand that Tata cars are known for poor resale. I will attribute that to the "experienced" service guys and the psychology not the car and the repairs are very cheap. And I am sure Bangaloreans will vouch that there are so many Safari's in town. Does that mean that the car is good or bad ?

Even Skoda/Toyota gets parts replaced under warranty, does that happen always, no, i don't think so. I got the ECU replaced, and the alternator (preventive call from Tata) as well. The alternator had no problem and car was starting and charging well, but i did not take a chance. The improvements that Tata has seen over the past few years is amazing, i know that especially after the upgrade to a 2.2 from a 1.9 Turbodiesel. And looks they use quality stuff outsourced from companies like Delphi TVS, minda, siemens vdo, AVL etc.

I am going to pick up another SUV soon, my mind says i will be back to Tata Safari, this time a fully loaded one.

Every car has its own share of pain points, but it's all about individual choice, if you think you like a car, just buy it and live with the problems, because the good things from the car outweighs the bad things.

It was an interesting experience while trying to sell my car, and i am happy with the learning. Some wanted the car for dirt cheap (but will not sell their maruti 800 for less than 1.8Lakhs ) some think the safari's are bad (they just think, but never drove or used the safari for long)
Old 14th February 2009, 22:49   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Safari requires more visits to the service station than a Honda. There are known issues w.r.t HVAC, PS and niggling Electrical issues with Safaris that are rare in a Honda. The service costs of a Safari w.r.t a Honda over the same mileage is atleast 20% higher.
Part 1 : agree
Part 2: costs!? No way. I finally could not afford Honda service anymore - not too many niggles but they'd suck the life out of my bank account for whatever I did go there for. They have not heard of "touch-ups" and the parts, when you need them, make you wonder if perhaps its ok to drive around with a past-its-life tie rod. Thank god for RAC, I could continue to own the City because of them.
Old 14th February 2009, 22:51   #103
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with all your points, but have the following queries:
The safari is a pretty tall vehicle unlike a modern saloon car. Hence unless one is taligating the car in front very closely, [which maybe dangerous driving], the stones that fall off the tipper cant bounce to the height of the safari bonnet!

Safari is not taller than a tipper sir

And safari's used to have problems, not these days. I have mentioned in previous post.
Old 15th February 2009, 07:49   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Safari is not taller than a tipper sir

And safari's used to have problems, not these days. I have mentioned in previous post.
Sir, I said taller than a saloon car not a tipper!

And FYI, I have owned and continue to own TATA vehicles
Old 15th February 2009, 08:49   #105
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I guess all of us agree about the stone. If the speed and point of impact are favorable (to the stone, that is) the damage is going to be substantial. So, lets leave it to that.

And let us not even go to discussing about tail-gating or not. We all drive our vehicles the way we want, period.

Let us stick to the intent of the thread, please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks