Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which weekend is best for you for a Pondy drive/meet ?
Weekend of 9-10th August. 6 20.69%
Weekend of 30-31st August. 23 79.31%
Weekend of 6-7th September. 10 34.48%
Other dates (Please specify). 1 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2008, 20:08   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, when I first saw the horsey Sumo, I had marked which thread I am going to post it's photos in. Butttt - looking at the office & home of the owner of TVMS, I can only say that He Is An Enthusiast.

Luke did a smart thing by reaching Pondy on friday night. Gave him all of saturday there. And going by the example he has set, I'm going to do a 2 day trip soon.

But till then, let's make the Yercaud a friday-sunday program.
Old 1st September 2008, 20:09   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But nitrous is itching to speed and zooms off into the distance. He limits himself to 120kmph though. He has a fancy tacho-pod on the dash with a shift light and oil pressure gauge. Have a look.

We have left Ajo far behind and the CRDi or Palio1.6 are not to be seen for miles behind. I suggest we take a short ciggie and leak break and wait for the guys to catch up. There is no shade on the left side of the road, so nitrous moves to the right side and parks. I open the door and immediately a silver CRDi and black Palio scream past us, almost taking with them the door of the Esteem.

Anyway, we abandon the break plan and take off after the speeding-duo

Well, as we were late by more than an hour, we [bottle+2 and Headers+2] started at 2:00 pm ish from my house and took the kotturpuram route via tidel and then ECR to pondy wondering where you guys who had a headstart were.

We were comfortable in the cars [that palio is an amazing vehicle and just sticks to your rear irrespective of the speed one does ]

We passed Ajo's alto somewhere near mahabs and were comfortable doing some 120s to 150s.

I should state that I hate the ECR as the roads are Narrow and there is no escape route, added to that are the mad two wheelers and cyclists who just turn as and when they like without warnings.

We got a SMS challenge from our "Kannaku pillai" sitting pretty in the custom esteem that read "Catch us if you dare to.." or something on those lines.

So we pushed the needle a bit [read 160 at various points] and then we suddenly see this familiar esteem appearing in front of us, almost parking on the WRONG side of the road.

Before we realise it was our friends esteem, we zip past it and bottle who sticks behind us follows through.

We were in fits of laughter at SBs SMS and nitrous reaction when we reach pondy.

Within 10 minutes or so, bottle and I land up in the resort breaking the ribbon meant to be cut by the "suzuki" guys who thought "korean" cars are incapable.

After a long 15 minutes or so, the suzuki guys land up to the cheer of the crowd.

Now, we always know of the excuses people give when they loose a bet. This was inspite of the telltale warnings given the previous night

Quote:
5) headers breaking the speedlimit.
I always BRAKE at the speed limit dont I: LOL

Quote:
7) As per nitrous, the only fair competition for the underpowered Korean car is the contraption on the left of it in the pic below.
The Korean car may be underpowered on paper, but you saw what it did!

Quote:

vikram, nick and john left some 15 mins before us. nitrous is sticking to his usual speed limit of 120kmph max. Before we reach the toll gate at Uthandi, john calls us to inform that there is a speed trap after the toll gate and to slow down to the legal limit of 40kmph.

nitrous slows down to 40kmph and man, it was so slow and painful. We drive like that for a few kms, but no speed trap. We almost think that the guys had played a prank on us.

And then around a corner, we see a posse of cops, speed guns and all. But we are crawling along at 40kmph. One of the cops looks at us and can't help laughing, which is reciprocated by phoenix.
THE END.
Yeah, we actually used an old trick of mine and passed the speed guns at 65 kmph! thought should warn you guys and hence the call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Thanks Vikram for a comfortable, rockin' ride in the CRDi. Felt real good.
Was a good trip john, thanks to you and nick who kept me entertained as well.
Old 1st September 2008, 22:54   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
We were comfortable in the cars [that palio is an amazing vehicle and just sticks to your rear irrespective of the speed one does ]
But you have all that torque to play with I was pootling along at around 120-140 till you blasted by afterwhich I was hard pressed to keep up. Acceleration was phenomenal , I had to keep downshifting whenever we had to brake

Last edited by bottle : 1st September 2008 at 22:56.
Old 2nd September 2008, 00:01   #394
BHPian

i warned you guys 24 hrs before about the speed trap. Had to part with 400 the earlier weekend.

And Yes, Yercaud is a good idea. Now lets start a new thread and a new poll.
Old 2nd September 2008, 00:04   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
vikram, nick and john left some 15 mins before us. nitrous is sticking to his usual speed limit of 120kmph max. Before we reach the toll gate at Uthandi, john calls us to inform that there is a speed trap after the toll gate and to slow down to the legal limit of 40kmph.

nitrous slows down to 40kmph and man, it was so slow and painful. We drive like that for a few kms, but no speed trap. We almost think that the guys had played a prank on us.

And then around a corner, we see a posse of cops, speed guns and all. But we are crawling along at 40kmph. One of the cops looks at us and can't help laughing, which is reciprocated by phoenix.

nitrous drops phoenix & vijay at Tiruvanmiyur and me at Choolaimedu and drives home and a beautiful weekend comes to a close.

THE END.
You should have taken a pic of the cops. It was a great weekend.I was a mess, but a 'happy' mess when i rolled inside the homestead Sunday evening.
Old 2nd September 2008, 01:32   #396
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic picture boys! Looks like you all had a great time while I spent my time getting drunk at my friend's wedding!! The pictures are really nice & so is the narration, good work Biju!

And Nitrous that pic is super hilarious!!!
Old 2nd September 2008, 02:06   #397
BHPian

NOTE FROM MODS: Post deleted. Remove font/size tags and post again.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd September 2008 at 12:18.
Old 2nd September 2008, 09:39   #398
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Looks like a fun meet. Missed out on it. But will make it for the Yercaud meet for sure. Biju, great job with the organizing. So whose going to start a new thread for the next meet?
Old 2nd September 2008, 09:59   #399
Senior - BHPian

And the best picture/pose of the meet goes to, who else other than Nitrous. So, he bagged this second title after the "beach babe"

@bijju, more than the actual picture, the sequence of pics + your narration is simply great. I was literally laughing in my office when I first saw this picture after seeing just the Cycle. Umm, everything needs to be compared
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:16   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Shekaran, that was actually fast ! But : let's move that post to a new thread.

Also, pls do not copy-paste from another application : it leaves formatting data in the post, as you can see above.

Mods, pls move Shekaran's post above to a new thread. Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2008, 17:05   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Yeah, we actually used an old trick of mine and passed the speed guns at 65 kmph! thought should warn you guys and hence the call!
What trick is it which allows you to drive by at 65kmph when cops are enforcing a limit of 40kmph ? Anyway thanks for the advance info.
Old 2nd September 2008, 17:48   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What trick is it which allows you to drive by at 65kmph when cops are enforcing a limit of 40kmph ? Anyway thanks for the advance info.
SB, will tell you in person..It might not be good to discuss such topics here!
Old 3rd September 2008, 07:09   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Possibly the last set of pics for this meet :

1. At AAB, ready to take off after re-fuelling.
2 & 3. Sunrise at Pondy. 6 am on sunday
Attached Thumbnails
The "Rendez-vouz at Pondichery" meet. Giving time a break.-01-aab.jpg  

The "Rendez-vouz at Pondichery" meet. Giving time a break.-beach1.jpg  

The "Rendez-vouz at Pondichery" meet. Giving time a break.-condor-sea.jpg  

Last edited by condor : 3rd September 2008 at 07:14.
Old 5th September 2008, 10:44   #404
Senior - BHPian

Had to go to Tiruvannamalai on Sunday, so could not make it. Am going through one crazy period. 3 days in Mumbai last week, Sunday to Tiruvannamalai & Back, Bangalore & back on Wednesday, Mumbai & back yesterday. May be I am destined to meet you guys at Yercaud. Good to see loads of fun, would like to meet the TVMS guy one of these days, interesting thoughts
Old 5th September 2008, 11:09   #405
Senior - BHPian

Some more pics from Pondy

Some pics from Sunday morning at the Chennai Annas room :

headers, ajo and PatchyBoy
The "Rendez-vouz at Pondichery" meet. Giving time a break.-dsc01381.jpg

The Gypsy and the Safari
The "Rendez-vouz at Pondichery" meet. Giving time a break.-dsc01382.jpg

The gang listening to headers' recount (for the nth time) how the CRDi beat the Esteem by a mile - It ain't matter whether you win by hook or crook, winning's winning.
The "Rendez-vouz at Pondichery" meet. Giving time a break.-dsc01383.jpg

The resort, with sea as backdrop
The "Rendez-vouz at Pondichery" meet. Giving time a break.-dsc01385.jpg

The "Rendez-vouz at Pondichery" meet. Giving time a break.-dsc01386.jpg

The sorry excuse of a pool for which they charged 150 per adult.
The "Rendez-vouz at Pondichery" meet. Giving time a break.-dsc01387.jpg

The Elantra's wheels.
The "Rendez-vouz at Pondichery" meet. Giving time a break.-dsc01389.jpg

A supposedly rare pic of MGR and Shivaji Ganesan together, at the TVMS owner's home.
The "Rendez-vouz at Pondichery" meet. Giving time a break.-dsc01430.jpg

The Maverick's steed.
The "Rendez-vouz at Pondichery" meet. Giving time a break.-themaverick.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks