Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which weekend is best for you for a Pondy drive/meet ?
Weekend of 9-10th August. 6 20.69%
Weekend of 30-31st August. 23 79.31%
Weekend of 6-7th September. 10 34.48%
Other dates (Please specify). 1 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 14:26   #241
Senior - BHPian

Or maybe if most Chennai guys feel that they would like to leave Chennai such that they reach Pondy by 5PM or so, maybe we could have the Bangy guys reach the resort at 1-2PM as they have planned, and then do a round of sightseeing in Pondy. So, by the time they return to the resort at 5PM or so, we would also be there.

Chennai guys (headers, nitrous, john, ajo, nick, phoenix, bottle, saiyan, vince) please let us know your preference of the following 2 options :
1) Leave from TIDEL at 11:30-12:00, reach Pondy at 2PM.
2) Leave Chennai at 3PM, reach Pondy by 5PM.
Old 20th August 2008, 14:38   #242
BHPian

Am fine with anything
Old 20th August 2008, 15:17   #243
Senior - BHPian

Option-2 seems fine by me. I am not really into sight-seeing Pondy , and a drive around on Sunday by 11 AM, and packing up by 2 or 3 seems good.

But I have no problems starting off by 11:30 AM either.
Old 21st August 2008, 00:41   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Or maybe if most Chennai guys feel that they would like to leave Chennai such that they reach Pondy by 5PM or so, maybe we could have the Bangy guys reach the resort at 1-2PM as they have planned, and then do a round of sightseeing in Pondy. So, by the time they return to the resort at 5PM or so, we would also be there.

Chennai guys (headers, nitrous, john, ajo, nick, phoenix, bottle, saiyan, vince) please let us know your preference of the following 2 options :
2) Leave Chennai at 3PM, reach Pondy by 5PM.
Option1 will be better, in my opinion. That gives us time to settle down a bit and do the sightseeing fluff , before getting down to serious business.
Old 21st August 2008, 11:21   #245
Senior - BHPian

Will wait for the rest of the gang to indicate their timing preference and then we can go with the majority's choice.

As mentioned in a previous post, apart from the 9 rooms that we have already paid for, I have blocked 2 suites till 25th Aug for us, subject to the condition that if we take them, we will send the payment to the resort by that day. So, if anyone is interested, we have room for 8 more people @ 950 per head, in these 2 suites.

Or if it is a group of 2 or 3 people and don't need a suite, there should be S.Deluxe rooms also available (though not blocked by me) @ 970 per person (3 to a room) or 1250 per person (2 to a room).

During last Tuesday's meet, we came to know of another resort option for our next Pondy meet (whenever it happens). Arka mentioned about one of the jeepers (Major Roy???) owning and operating a resort some 40 kms before Pondy, which is very economical, comes with breakfast as part of the package etc. So maybe next time we can try that.
Old 21st August 2008, 11:29   #246
Senior - BHPian

What to do at Pondy ? Places of interest.

Attractions in Pondy include the following :

1) Aurobindo Ashram - The Sri Aurobindo Ashram located on rue de la Marine, is one of the most well known and wealthiest ashrams in India, with devotees from India and all over the world flocking to it for spiritual salvation. Its spiritual tenets represent a synthesis of yoga and modern science. It is open to the public daily between 08-1200 hrs and 1400-1800 hrs.

The Ashram was set up in 1926 by Sri Aurobindo Ghose, one of India’s greatest philosopher-poets, who originally came to Pondy to escape persecution by the British.

2) Auroville - or the ‘City of Dawn ’ - was conceived as a place of research into the ideal of human unity by the Mother, the spiritual collaborator of Sri Aurobindo. The idea is to build a futuristic city where people of goodwill can live together in peace and progressive harmony, above all creeds, all politics and all nationalities. Auroville came into existence in 1968. Located around 8 kms north-west of Puducherry, Auroville was designed by the French architect Roger Anger.

3) Beaches - Any trip to puducherry would be incomplete without a visit to its beaches. Though it’s hot and muggy through most of the year, puducherry has four main beaches which are fairly popular with tourists and locals alike.

3.1) Promenade - The 1.5 km long promenade running along the beach is the pride of puducherry. There one can relax or take a stroll at any time of the day. On the sea front are several land marks. The War memorial cold and dispassionate throbbing the memory of last dreams, the statue of Joan of Arc blazing an inspiration, the heritage town hall, the statue of Mahatma Gandhi standing tall, Dupleix statue, old light house, the remains of the old pier, the old customs house, speak the splendor of the by gone era.

3.2) Paradise beach - Located 8 kms. from the town, along the Cuddalore Main Road this beach can be accessed from the Chunnambar Resort. Flanked by a quiet flowing creek on one side, the beach can only be accessed by boat

3.3) Serenity beach - This beach is a ten minutes drive to the north of the town. This virgin beach, with its serene surroundings is an ideal place to laze away your day.

3.4) Auroville beach - The Auroville Beach as the name indicates is close to Auroville. It is right off the ECR, opposite the road leading to Auroville. Located around 12 kms from the main puducherry town, its shallow waters and small waves make it an ideal place of swimming. It is a fairly popular destination on weekends. On weekdays it is relatively less crowded.

4) Botanical gardens - The Botanical Gardens are located south of the New Bus Stand. The gate leading to the garden is reminiscent of French architecture and it stands out from its immediate surroundings because it is smack in the middle of the old Tamil town.

The Botanical Gardens were laid out in 1826 in the ornate French style, with pruned trees, beautiful flower beds and gravel lined paths and fountains. The French introduced many exotic plants from all over the world, many of which thrived. With over 1500 species of plants, this could actually qualify as one of the best botanical gardens in South India.

5) Chunnambar backwater - Chunnambar is situated 8 kms from puducherry, along the Cuddalore Main Road. This tropical paradise is flanked by a quiet-flowing creek on one side. You can sail downstream to the sands and pitch up a cozy seaside tent for yourself. Overnighting within the tree-houses on the backwater banks provides a relishing experience of the great outdoors.

The beach at Chunnambar also known as Plage Paradiso, is located near the mouth of the backwater. The sand is pristine and the water, clean. It's and ideal place for sun bathing and beach sports. A short, pleasant cruise into the sea from here could reward you with the memorable sight of playful dolphins in natural habitat, horsing around.

Chunnambar Beach and Backwater Resort, a PTTDC enterprise, has boating, backwater boat tours, trekking and picnics on Paradise Beach for friends and families. The resort offers various kinds of rental boats (speed, motor, sail, rowed paddled and peddalled) in addition to beach volleyball and other beach sports.

Source : The Official Website for Tourism Department-The Government Of Puducherry

If you ask me, the whole fun about Pondicherry is just walking along the promenade, taking in the sights, admiring the architecture, sitting for a while in the cool shade of the trees at Bharati park, walking along the tree-lined boulevards etc.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 21st August 2008 at 11:30.
Old 21st August 2008, 12:11   #247
BHPian

about places in pondicherry

major attractions in pondicherry :
1.aurobindo ashram & manakular vinayagar temple - both adjascent places
2.chunnambar beach resort - watersports, boat ride to the bay mouth etc.,.
3.auroville beach - for lazing around, which is on the way from st.james court to pondicherry city. but my suggestion would be the st.james court resort has a secluded beach frontage, which will equate the auroville beach...
4.auroville visit - before 3.30pm, as entry to visit the huge globe - meditation centre needs pass, which closes by 3.30 pm daily
5.evening/night walk in the beach promenade - casuall strolling around...
6.oussudu lake - 15 kms away from pondicherry - in the pondicherry - tirukkanur road.
7.sampoorna water amusement park, near oosudu lake.
8.panchavatee - giant hanuman temple, 14 kms from pondicherry - on pondy to tindivanam highway.
9.giant saneeswarar & kali temples - pondy tindivanam road - morattandi village - 6 kms from pondicherry - before panchavatee temple
10.aalambara fort - ecr road - near kadapakkam village - before marakkanam - 65 kms before pondy on ECR

of the above places mentioned, i would suggest the following iterenary for you, folks.
saturday :
3 pm - after lunch - visit auroville (20 mins)- on ECR road, just some kms away from st.james court resort - 1.5 hours time
5.30 pm - go to chunnambar resort (45 mins) - boat ride to bay mouth, watersports etc.,. - 2 hours time
7.30 pm - visit aurobindo ashram (30 mins) - manakular vinayagar temple - 30 minutes - both places
8 to 9 pm - walk in the beach promenade
9.30 pm - back to resort for party
sunday :
9 am - if ashram,temple not visited saturday - visit on sunday
9.30 am - drive to panchavatee temple(30 mins) - 1 hour time
11.00 am - drive to oosudu lake (30 mins) - 10 kms from panchavatee in south direction - via - tiruchitrambalam junction - take poothurai road to join tirukanoor road - take right - to reach oosudu lake - 1 hour time
12.30 pm - return to pondicherry (30 mins) - shopping in sunday bazaar, nehru street - 1 hour time
2.15 pm - reach resort back - lunch - departure.
(the time i mentioned would include both time taken to drive to the locations plus spending time, depending on traffic situations)

i will send a very detailed plan, if you want, today, friends.
bye, have a nice day.
Old 21st August 2008, 13:33   #248
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! Those were some comprehensive plans!!! A huge Kudos to SB, Shekaran, and all others involved in this. I have been to many outings - official and personal - but have never seen such details being covered!

Old 21st August 2008, 13:33   #249
Senior - BHPian

Lets hit Chunnambar on saturday evening.
Im bringing a frisbee. If someone can bring a volleyball and net, we could organize two poles for the net and have some Team-BHP volleyball matches. Great fun on the beach.
Old 21st August 2008, 13:50   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
2.chunnambar beach resort - watersports, boat ride to the bay mouth etc.,.
Boat ride to the bay mouth was stopped sometime back, has it resumed now ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
5.30 pm - go to chunnambar resort (45 mins) - boat ride to bay mouth, watersports etc.,. - 2 hours time
All boats stop operating from 6.00 pm. whoever is left in the island will be stranded if you dont catch the last boat. They make sure the beach is vacated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Lets hit Chunnambar on saturday evening.
Im bringing a frisbee. If someone can bring a volleyball and net, we could organize two poles for the net and have some Team-BHP volleyball matches. Great fun on the beach.
There is a volleyball net on the island. So just get a ball.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 21st August 2008 at 13:52.
Old 21st August 2008, 13:59   #251
Senior - BHPian

Starting time doesnt matter as long as it isnt too late. Are we meeting for lunch or after lunch though ?
Old 21st August 2008, 14:28   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyan View Post
Am fine with anything
Same here though going to pondi earlier would be better i guess..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Starting time doesnt matter as long as it isnt too late. Are we meeting for lunch or after lunch though ?
you are gonna have only fish and chips for lunch na
Old 21st August 2008, 15:19   #253
Senior - BHPian

Wow, shekaran, that is pretty detailed. Thanks.
BTW, never heard of the "aalambara fort". What is the significance of this one ? Was it British, French, Dutch or Danish ? Sounds interesting.

nitrous, am game for volleyball.

Let us not pack activities too close to each other though, to avoid running through the Pondy attractions in a whirlwind.

BTW, I would need names of the attendees (not tbhp-alias, but actual name) to give to the hotel. So, when you guys get some time, do PM the details to me.

Also, from Chennai, who all are bringing their cars and who need rides ? I would love to bring my car, but at the same time will not burn 20litres of petrol to haul only my rear to Pondy and back. Would rather be a passenger in someone else's car and share the fuel cost.

phoenix, will we be seeing your Getz this time ?

@bottle, we would know the departure time from Chennai when the other guys respond with their choices.
Old 21st August 2008, 17:43   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
:
I am game to leave Tidel by 12pm. Any idea on how many cars from Chennai? I am planning to take my car as I am not sure of my return time on Sunday. I have some work later on Sunday and may leave earlier.
Old 21st August 2008, 18:23   #255
Senior - BHPian

Chennai steeds and riders

There are 10 confirmed guys from Chennai leaving on Saturday (atleast as of now). Of these, I would expect bottle+2 to come in bottle's Palio1.6.

nitrous would surely bring his car (Esteem or Ikon or Dicor).
Ajo will be coming in his Alto.
I am guessing nickatnite would come in his SX4.
And John might bring his Esteem.

So, we have atleast 4 cars for the remaining seven people. headers and me would most probably join one of the above cars as passengers.

Or if John and nick don't bring their cars, me/headers will bring our respective cars and do the full ECR stretch without going above 3rd gear.

Not sure about ph03n!x's plans though.

P.S. : There is a strong possibility of some 5-6 guys driving down on Sunday morning from Chennai and returning with us.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 21st August 2008 at 18:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks