Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 21:20   #2716
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Interesting. I am posting the same solution I posted on the Safari thread, here in the Scorpio thread.

What an idea !!! Did you tried with any other smell for the same ?
This post should be moved to Official joke thread.

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 20th January 2012 at 21:29.
Old 20th January 2012, 22:43   #2717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
What an idea !!! Did you tried with any other smell for the same ?
This post should be moved to Official joke thread.
You don't depend on the smell. You depend on the thickness of the smoke. Anything that burns will give out some smell.

Its better if we use something that gives out smoke a lot of smoke but nothing noxious.

Oodh is the natural choice because its been used for so long with no health effects.

similar approach adopted here:

Last edited by bblost : 20th January 2012 at 22:54.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 23:00   #2718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You depend on the thickness of the smoke.
Its better if we use something that gives out smoke a lot of smoke but nothing noxious.
I really don't think your idea will work.
(A) It'll take ages to fill up a cabin the size of the Scorpio or Safari with smoke that is dense enough to be detected as it trickles out from a small opening;
(B) There is no difference in air pressure between the inside of the cabin and outside. Why would the smoke trickle out?
(C) You don't want to sit inside that cabin and get your lungs fumigated while the stuff burns inside. If you step out of the car, how do you know when the seats are on fire?
(D) If the smoke did actually trickle out finally because of difference in air pressure, can you see all the miniature holes from which the smoke actually trickles out? Can a small amount of smoke coming out of a hole the size of a pea, be visualised in daylight? Or do you also propose to park the car in pitch darkness, and check all around with a flashlight to see a small trail of smoke?

Edit: That video gives a completely different approach!!! It's about fixing door seals that leak, using the car's HVAC fan to generate positive pressure. Door seal leaks are large, under-the-dashboard hidden air inlets are small and not easily accessible.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 20th January 2012 at 23:06.
Old 20th January 2012, 23:05   #2719
Team-BHP Support

I have seen it work very well in the Maruti 800 on which it was done.

The exact procedure was a steel plate. With some hot coal pieces. The guy would drop some oodh powder on it. Fan it vigorously. The smoke was quite thick. I watched the entire process as the guys were testing for a leak around the rear quarter glass.

It was done in normal sun light in a covered garage.
We could clearly see the smoke coming out from one side of the glass.
Old 26th January 2012, 08:29   #2720
Senior - BHPian

This is sad story of my friend in Botswana who made the mistake of being a proud Indian and buying 3 4WD Bolero pick ups for the exploration operations he runs there.

My Indian friend runs an exploration venture in Africa. His first choice was M&M's Bolero partly because it is Indian and he says his mechanic back home was raving about its sturdy built and performance. He bought delivery of 3 nos 4X4 double cabs. He deliberately avoided those sturdy and well tested Toyota Hiluxes to prove a point that we Indians are there. For good measure, he also bought a Toyota Hilux that had done about 75,000kms for about 3/4th the price of a new Bolero.

He told me this in April 2010:
Tail lamps regularly blow out.
Dashboards rattle.
Suspension collapses ("is Bolero a sturdy vehicle?").
Brake drums wear out fast ("are they made of wood?").
Stuck gearboxes that left the vehicles stranded.
Vehicle waiting in the garage for over a month for a gearbox. Bursting injector pipes! No parts available - my friend comes shopping for MM parts every time he is India, started carrying them as part of check-in baggage from India as if he is carrying noodles. Lost over 6 vehicle months since he bought them first in late 2009 that cost the almost Rs 4,50,000 equivalent in hiring alternate vehicles. Second hand Toyota Hilux performing well even after doing 60,000 additional kms in the same rough terrain. It just needed a couple of oil change.

2011 year's update: MM service quality is pathetic. MM local dealer promised 24X7 help when they made their marketing pitch; but no problem ever fixed in less than 30 days, all blamed on tardy supplies of spares from India. Complaints to MM India senior management elicited response that these vehicle complaints are quite common, management is aware of them, they used the Chinese analogy that since their product is cheap and sells well, why bother about these minor matters?
"Looking to dump these vehicles under the sand dunes without the number plates on them so that they don't get delivered back to us!"

Jan 2012 update: My friend is back again in India in Jan 2012, 1 Bolero has bust its differential, he is searching for crown pinion, etc, for last 3 months, another has bust its gear box, and he is unable to get even brake pads and brake shoes locally in Africa, in a market where MM takes pride in saying they are doing very well!

With the help of our friend M.Khanna, we searched all dealers and spare parts shops in MM HQ city of Bombay, nowhere are parts available, There is confusion on specs of the parts in the vehicle. They say the vehicle is too "old" since it was sold brand-new in the year 2009, parts have been redesigned, old-design parts not stocked by anyone. Manoj virtually scourged the dust bins of Bombay and after 3-4 days of trying, some 100 calls later, located the parts yesterday evening with a spare parts (maybe used parts?) dealer in central Bombay. My friend who leaves Bombay tomorrow ran and got it thankfully, never mind he has to carry some 15 kgs in his baggage in an international flight.

Price of the parts was 50% of what was quoted by MM dealer who was unwilling to commit any timeline for procuring it. MM warehouses did not have the part anyway. My friend was already contemplating "cannibalising" parts from each of his 3 Boleros which are stranded now for want of parts, switch between good and bad parts! In the meantime, he has bought one more second hand Toyota Hilux, and the first second hand Hilux has run 1 lakh kms since he bought it, needing just a few litres of engine oil!!!

Thank you, Manoj Khanna, my friend is frustrated with Indian products & their quality, but he is impressed with your Indian "jugaad" in procuring the parts he wanted in break-neck pace!

This analogy of a Mahindra vehicle in Africa applies anywhere in India, I face it daily for my 2005 model Scorpio - no parts available, MM & dealers not bothered about servicing "old" cars & new cars face bigger problems anyway! Do we still say WITH YOU HAMESHA? or say AH SHAME??!

I have a brilliant marketing idea for MM – Buy 1 car, Get 2 at 50% less price. Lock away the second car so that you can start cannibalizing its parts later when the first one fails one by one. Cheaper than the down-time and the effort and cost it takes to get parts later!

P.S. I am not a Toyota salesman. I gain no mileage or Padma Bhushans from damning MM, am simply recounting a real-life experience, a story which I can also empathise with since it is also partly the story of me & my Scorpio, so the resemblance with characters is not fictional but real.
P.S. 2. Why talk of Bolero in a Scorpio forum? Bolero or Scorpio, the story of MM is the same.
P.S. 3 Q. Why am I being critical of MM now? A. Look back at my posts since the year 2005, what I have said about my bad experiences with the Scorpio can fill a quality control handbook!

I own a Scorpio of 2005 and it is a great vehicle. It is just 2K kms short of completing 3 lakh kms. I maintain my car reasonably well and I know it can run many more 000s of kms. But I maintain it against several odds - a MM which seems to be American and not Indian the way they want their customers to discard even cars that are not old - or at least that is what their attitude of starving their older models of spare parts, not helped by frequent design changes necessitated perhaps by not getting it right the first time - and dealers who are totally unscrupulous in the manner in which they diagnose and repair the cars. I have a huge list of parts for my Scorpio that are either not available or difficult to get and every time any part fails, I shudder at the prospect of having to run around to get the parts. Luckily, I have stopped depending on the ASCs and find my own solutions in the open market.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 17:01   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
2 years,and i havent found a solution to it,even i feel the same,everytime i overtake a heavy vehicle,and with temperature around 5 degrees these days,its very prominent
My old Non-CRDE Scorpio also has air coming in from the door. I did manage to find out where it comes from. It comes from the small openings around the door open lever.
I have not done anything about it though, and I don't think we can do anything much about it.

Styler
Old 26th January 2012, 18:45   #2722

Re: All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV

Hi fellow BHPians! Since this is my first post,please spare me if i go wrong somewhere.Actually, Our family owns a Mahindra Scorpio refresh( 2010 model,VLX,2WD). It has clocked around 30,000 km.(I will upload the pics soon!) The problem we are facing is that my dad finds the backseat to be upright and very hard. Also,sitting at the backseat is very difficult during long drives on the highway. The car wobbles during overtaking(even at 100 km/h) and the passengers then suffer from headaches. The suspension seems to be very soft on my car.
To decrease the bodyroll,i thought of getting the height of the Suv lowered a bit on the back side(We are not the serious off roaders). But i wanted to ask you guys whether such a modification will bring more harm than good,will it be useful at all? Also,is there any way through which i can make the seats softer and more comfortable?(we haven't put any seat covers till now
)Please advise because my father is making up his mind to sell the Scorpio off but i don't want that to happen!
Thanks in advance!

-asjcaner

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : This post has been moved to the appropriate section.

We thank you for your post, and would appreciate you taking the effort to post in the correct section.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th January 2012 at 00:32.
Old 26th January 2012, 19:28   #2723
BHPian

2000 Km plus update from my end and few issues nitices, could someone clarify that please.
As of now gear shifting is much better.Average mileage found to be 9.2 Km/Lit in city driving conditions.Few things which i have noticed recently are:

1.Engine noise a bit more than it was earlier.Engine oil checked and its upto the mark.
2.When i switch off ignition SUV vibrates to a stop.
3.There is slight noise while depressing clutch..negligible i think.

Are the above points common in Mahindra Scorpio 2 WD.
Old 27th January 2012, 10:40   #2724
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@hvkumar:

I feel sorry for your friend. I can tell you that I ran from pillar to post to get a lever assembly for a brand new NGT520 gearbox and T18 transfer case bought from an authorized dealer in chennai. I spend two uncessesful years trying to source it before changing the T-18 shifter mechanism to the single lever army mm550 type. The NGT is a longer gearbox, so the shift mechanism moved back almost fouling with the seat frame, but I didn't have a choice.

Overall, I would agree that spares support from Mahindra is extremely poor, especially for 4WD version. For older vehicles, there are many versions of the same part requiring you to take the part to the spares shop to get the correct one.

If I lived in a market where I could get a used hilux/defender etc, I would never buy a Mahindra period !!!

Unfortunately, we don't have a choice here in India..
Old 27th January 2012, 13:46   #2725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asjcaner View Post
Hi fellow BHPians! Since this is my first post,please spare me if i go wrong somewhere.Actually, Our family owns a Mahindra Scorpio refresh( 2010 model,VLX,2WD). It has clocked around 30,000 km.(I will upload the pics soon!) The problem we are facing is that my dad finds the backseat to be upright and very hard. Also,sitting at the backseat is very difficult during long drives on the highway. The car wobbles during overtaking(even at 100 km/h) and the passengers then suffer from headaches. The suspension seems to be very soft on my car.
To decrease the bodyroll,i thought of getting the height of the Suv lowered a bit on the back side(We are not the serious off roaders). But i wanted to ask you guys whether such a modification will bring more harm than good,will it be useful at all? Also,is there any way through which i can make the seats softer and more comfortable?(we haven't put any seat covers till now
)Please advise because my father is making up his mind to sell the Scorpio off but i don't want that to happen!
Thanks in advance!
I am not sure how you want to reduce the height in the back portion, since the suspension is on springs and not leaf spring, I doubt you will be able to do much.

If you want more comfort in a SUV, you might have to look around for a lower slung one like a XUV, Aria, CRV etc.
Old 27th January 2012, 14:04   #2726

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I am not sure how you want to reduce the height in the back portion, since the suspension is on springs and not leaf spring, I doubt you will be able to do much.

If you want more comfort in a SUV, you might have to look around for a lower slung one like a XUV, Aria, CRV etc.
Thanks for your help @m_upreti! Yeah we had a look at the Xuv.But my dad doesn't want to invest more money on a new Mahindra because we faced a lot of problems with the tyretronic and automatic sensors provided on our Suv(they keep malfunctioning now and then,and the XUV has those as standard equipment).And we actually don't like the Aria at all.And the Crv is pricey plus it doesn't have a diesel engine. So we're left with the option of modfying the Scorpio!
And you know i enquired about getting the height lowered from Sec 49 car market in Chandigarh.That mechanic told me that such a modification is possible on the Scorpio.He said he would take out the 'patti' and then lower the car on the rear suspension. I didn't go into many details but now i think i will enquire about this modification from Delhi also after my exams and I will post everything i get to know!
Old 27th January 2012, 15:01   #2727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your help @m_upreti! Yeah we had a look at the Xuv.But my dad doesn't want to invest more money on a new Mahindra because we faced a lot of problems with the tyretronic and automatic sensors provided on our Suv(they keep malfunctioning now and then,and the XUV has those as standard equipment).And we actually don't like the Aria at all.And the Crv is pricey plus it doesn't have a diesel engine. So we're left with the option of modfying the Scorpio!
And you know i enquired about getting the height lowered from Sec 49 car market in Chandigarh.That mechanic told me that such a modification is possible on the Scorpio.He said he would take out the 'patti' and then lower the car on the rear suspension. I didn't go into many details but now i think i will enquire about this modification from Delhi also after my exams and I will post everything i get to know!
Hi, Thats what I meant, the refurbished Scorpio does not have the Pattas (Leaf Springs), it has springs, just bend down at the back and see one huge spring each next to the tyre.

Another suggestion is wait for the Renault Duster, it should be out by Jun / Jul and worldwide reviews show it to be a great SUV (5 Seater) at bargain price.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 16:26   #2728

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi, Thats what I meant, the refurbished Scorpio does not have the Pattas (Leaf Springs), it has springs, just bend down at the back and see one huge spring each next to the tyre.

Another suggestion is wait for the Renault Duster, it should be out by Jun / Jul and worldwide reviews show it to be a great SUV (5 Seater) at bargain price.
oh ok! That means that dumb mechanic didn't know anything about the new model of the Scorpio!Thanks a lot! You saved me from a lot of trouble of getting my car opened up for no use! And yeah i saw the duster too...looks pretty promising...just waiting for it to be launched!
Old 30th January 2012, 15:21   #2729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
oh ok! That means that dumb mechanic didn't know anything about the new model of the Scorpio!Thanks a lot! You saved me from a lot of trouble of getting my car opened up for no use! And yeah i saw the duster too...looks pretty promising...just waiting for it to be launched!
Well can't blame the poor guy, I doubt if many new Scorpios would be coming to him .
Old 31st January 2012, 23:24   #2730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
This is sad story of my friend in Botswana who made the mistake of being a proud Indian and buying 3 4WD Bolero pick ups for the exploration operations he runs there.

He told me this in April 2010:

Stuck gearboxes that left the vehicles stranded.
Vehicle waiting in the garage for over a month for a gearbox. Bursting injector pipes! No parts available - my friend comes shopping for MM parts every time
Hi , Your friend ought to look for bolero parts at a place called 'Gupta Automobiles' better known as Dhotiwala. its located opposite a restaurant called 'Deluxe ' in kurla ( w) , mumbai which is close to junction of Bandra kurla complex and Agra road. Its also near taximen's colony or a big office complex of EQUINOX.
This guy keeps mahindra parts , specializes in them , and specially for the mpvs, muvs- the boleros, armada campers , maxitrucks and such. Keep original stuff.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 31st January 2012 at 23:25.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks