Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2012, 17:29   #2686
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Styler, could it be from your fan vent (even when AC is off?) - I have this problem.

Could it be any of the main or power steering belts?

Could it be any of the plastics in your seat or side panels? Mine keep rattling.

Are any of the rivets in the side running boards broken - that can cause a vibration which can be heard just below your door - feels as though it is inside.
Old 1st January 2012, 19:30   #2687
BANNED

It is most probably from one of the ac vents. I too have this problem in Hariya from the front right most ac vent. Very irritating especially when one is trying to relax in the vehicle with the vehicle running. I will try some jugaad in the near future.
Old 2nd January 2012, 13:48   #2688
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I just completed a 3550KM drive from bangalore-Kanha(MP) and back to Bangalore. Overall the vehicle ran without any problem. Its now time for a 4th paid service(20000). I observed some minor electric issues and few suspension issues. Just wanted to get experts advice on the things to be done for this service.

1. I noticed that the suspension on the back is very hard and throws us up and down on the bumps and humps. I know its the design of the scoropio that makes it that way. Is there a way that we can
soften the rear suspesion a bit. Its very hard on a road that is getting repaired, the small cut on the road will make a harsh noise when rear wheels hit on them and throws us up at even 40-60 KMPH.

2. TPMS warned twice though there was right amount of pressure on the wheels. And the warnings
was on all tyres. Must have been for the temperature. But, this warning came when started early morning and driven for about 30KM. Strange but the warning went off automatically after sometime.

3. While you shift gears i.e when you have slowed down for humps and start from 1st gear or 2nd gear, the pull will have miss fire. It wont switch off, but you do feel a minor jerk. This problem was seen before my 3rd free service, the ASC guy just pumped out air from the fuel and said would have been that. The problem is there.. Any one feel the same in their m-hawks?

4. I want some advice and warning before I get surprising bills on my first paid service. And also, let me know which ASC is good in bangalore.

Over all the vehicle had been very reliable. We drove almost 27 Hrs continuously around 950KM and it did well.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Vadi
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:11   #2689
BANNED

Hi,
Please * * * * * below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
Hi Guys,

I just completed a 3550KM drive from bangalore-Kanha(MP) and back to Bangalore. Overall the vehicle ran without any problem. Its now time for a 4th paid service(20000). I observed some minor electric issues and few suspension issues. Just wanted to get experts advice on the things to be done for this service.

1. I noticed that the suspension on the back is very hard and throws us up and down on the bumps and humps. I know its the design of the scoropio that makes it that way. Is there a way that we can
soften the rear suspesion a bit. Its very hard on a road that is getting repaired, the small cut on the road will make a harsh noise when rear wheels hit on them and throws us up at even 40-60 KMPH.
**** Quiet normal, just check link bushes.

2. TPMS warned twice though there was right amount of pressure on the wheels. And the warnings
was on all tyres. Must have been for the temperature. But, this warning came when started early morning and driven for about 30KM. Strange but the warning went off automatically after sometime.
**** Switch to nitrogen.

3. While you shift gears i.e when you have slowed down for humps and start from 1st gear or 2nd gear, the pull will have miss fire. It wont switch off, but you do feel a minor jerk. This problem was seen before my 3rd free service, the ASC guy just pumped out air from the fuel and said would have been that. The problem is there.. Any one feel the same in their m-hawks?
**** Reload the dataset.

4. I want some advice and warning before I get surprising bills on my first paid service. And also, let me know which ASC is good in bangalore.

Over all the vehicle had been very reliable. We drove almost 27 Hrs continuously around 950KM and it did well.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Vadi
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:25   #2690
Senior - BHPian

Hi my inputs inline below:

Quote:
Hi Guys,

There is no way to soften the suspension as such. However, I do not find any major jarring issues in my VLX, get the suspension checked during the servicing for any worn out parts.

There is no solution for this, sometimes the TPMS behaves erratically.
Try switching on & off the vehicle a couple of times and the reading correct themselves.

I have never faced this issue. May be some problem in the fuel line.

M&M A.S.S. have a habit of pulling out surpsises, you may have to haggle and bargain on each item.

Thats what the Scorpio is, if you forget the electronics the mechanicals are rock solid

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Vadi
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:17   #2691
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Scorpio is best on smooth roads. It is by no means a comfortable vehicle over bad roads. Suspension design is poor in this aspect. There is not much you can do, but live with it. Over time the suspension softens with usage and gets a wee bit better than when vehicle is new.
Quote:
This is another Scorpio quirk. TPMS will give false alarms now and then, you will inform the dealer and he will tell you everything is working fine.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 07:01   #2692
BHPian

I have given my comments in Bold Italics. Scoprpio is, by no standards a perfect vehicle. But then at the price that you pay, what do you expect? It is not a super luxury Offroader like Toyota Landcruiser or the Land Rover. But it is a tough car and it can take a lot of punishments. It seldom lets you down!
Quote:
Hi Guys,

soften the rear suspesion a bit.

I have driven my Scorpio CRDE 2006 August Model more than 140,000 KMs, most of it by myself. I have a farm near Sohna in Gurgaon which is approached through pretty bad kutcha road, which I traverse every third day. I have also taken it on pretty baddly damaged blacktop roads. The suspension of my car is not as bad as yours seem to be. Yes, it is not Gold Standard or anything, but the pitching is not as much as in the back of an Endeavour. I think you need to talk to the ASC about this.

3. While you shift gears i.e when you have slowed down for humps and start from 1st gear or 2nd gear, the pull will have miss fire. It wont switch off, but you do feel a minor jerk.
Never had this problem in my CRDE or in the MHawke of my son in law.

All ASCs have a tendency to take you for a ride and bill you for things you do not need. I suppose you have to discuss with them all repairs beforehand and also tell them not to do anything over and above what has been agreed upon without asking you. Please also thoroughly check wheels, try pressure, etc. as many friends have had problems once they completed servicing.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Vadi
llamrei is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 14:48   #2693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamrei View Post
I have given my comments in Bold Italics. Scoprpio is, by no standards a perfect vehicle. But then at the price that you pay, what do you expect? It is not a super luxury Offroader like Toyota Landcruiser or the Land Rover. But it is a tough car and it can take a lot of punishments. It seldom lets you down!

I am completely with you on this, I had a harrowing time with my Scorpio with some major manufacturing defects during my first 6 months of ownership, however everything defective was replaced (actually almost everything except the engine and body) and in the last 3 years I have had absolutely no issues apart from a few creaks and squeaks here and there despite driving the vehicle in almost all types of terrains.
Old 9th January 2012, 17:27   #2694
BHPian

Re: Mahindra tScorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamrei View Post
Did I compare to any vehicle in my post? No doubt Scorpio stands out
in its segment.

Any ways my vehicle is back from service.
Total cost 11200

Paid service charge 2700
Oil and oil filter replace 2063
Fuel filter replace 1700
Washing + consumables 700
Suspension bush replaced 1200
Rat mesh 1400
Interior wash (waste of money). 850

Suspension is better, door noise reduced, performance is little smooth

Even after such long trip, only damage was suspension bush. Nice
Old 14th January 2012, 17:20   #2695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar0044 View Post
Hi Guderian,
Some updates.

1. The people in the ASC dont know about the clutch switch at all. They say such an electronic device is present only in the Miocro Hybrid M Hawks.

2. I dont think my scorp has been retrofitted with the new/modified clutch assembly. The hard clutch issue will be taken up by me once this pressing issue (starting problem) is solved.

Now coming to the starting problem,

- The air flow sensor was cleaned last week and is as good as new.

When I took it to the ASC and explained the starting problem, they as ausual, suspected the diesel supply. They thought that some air must be getting sucked into the fuel system. A bolt was loosened near the neck of the diesel filter and the piston over the filter assembly used for priming was pumped. A significant quantity of diesel-air froth was expelled, and then it began expelling only diesel. The bolt was tightened and I was sent on my way.

I drove around for a coupla days and the starting problem occurred again. I had driven a short distance (around 3-4km) from my home on a cold engine and had stopped the scorp to clean it's windsheild which might have taken 5 mins. When I got back into the car and cranked it up, it wouldnt start. It finally did after 5 cranks.

So I went back to the ASC and they once again "primed" the fuel supply which once again expelled some froth. So they said "probably the diesel filter assembly has to be replaced, it's takin in air from somewhere. Costs around Rs.8000". Hmm. I said I'll think about it.

The next day in a similar fashion, when I had stopped at a signal after around 10 mins of driving, it took me 5-6 cranks to start up. Thi time it was bad because I was holding up traffic.

My observation till date is
- there is no problem with cold starts. starts up with one crank
- till today havent encountered any problems when the engine has run for say 20-30 mins.

Will have the fuel lines checked shortly. Wondering what else might be the problem. The scorp runs like a dream otherwise. The engine just sings. Anybody who drives it wants to buy it.

P.S: Just crossed the 90,000km mark yesterday!

Thanks for the responses

Has your starting problem solved ?

If not have your Fuel Pump & injectors serviced.

Generally i CRDI engines the pressure in the common rail is to be maintained as per the specific values at different working conditions. Now if the injectors are having more quantity of backleakage then the pressure in the rail cannot reach the specific values. If this happens then the ECU wont trigger the injectors at all. So it takes long time to bulid the rail pressure and then the vehicle starts.

If the injectors are ok then the problem could be the high presure pump itself which is unable to build the rail pressure.
Old 18th January 2012, 12:08   #2696
AVR
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just gave the Scorpio CrdE for service today@76K Kms and here are the estimates:

1) Engine Oil Change: 2400
2) Gear Oil Change: 1400
3) Diff Oil Change: 1800
4) Air Filter Change: 750
5) Headlight bulb change: 200
6) Labour: 850

Do these costs look reasonable? I have my doubts. So can anyone of you tell me where these guys seem to be hiking the costs?

Its been given at Punjab Auto@Ahmedabad

Thanks,
Adi
Old 18th January 2012, 12:17   #2697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Do these costs look reasonable? I have my doubts. So can anyone of you tell me where these guys seem to be hiking the costs?
Estimates for all 3 oil changes seem to be on the higher side. Ditto for the headlight bulb change. IIRC, you need 6 lit of engine oil for the CRDE; in that case, Rs.400/lit is too expensive for mineral oil.

No clue about the air filter.

Btw, is your vehicle out of warranty? If yes, why are you still going to the ASC instead of to a competent independent garage?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 18th January 2012 at 12:20.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 12:25   #2698
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Estimates for all 3 oil changes seem to be on the higher side. Ditto for the headlight bulb change. IIRC, you need 6 lit of engine oil for the CRDE; in that case Rs.400/lit is too expensive for mineral oil.

No clue about the air filter.

Btw, is your vehicle out of warranty? If yes, why are you still going to the ASC instead of to a competent independent mechanic?

Cheers,
Vikram
What should be the typical costs? I don't want to pay seemingly absurd prices when I go to pick it up today evening.

This is a pre-owned Scorpio I picked up from our man Ramkya and out of warranty. I wanted to have it serviced once at the ASC before I look around for a competent mechanic later. On second thoughts, maybe I should have sent it to the guy who does my TCIC Safari. I guess until there's something that requires ECM to be connected, regular oil change etc should be possible anywhere else.

Also, What's the final verdict on fuel additives? I use 1 ml/liter of 2T oil with my TCIC Safari and its made a world of difference to the smoothness and response. Don't think I can do that with the Crde. STP? Wynn? System-D?
Old 18th January 2012, 12:32   #2699
BHPian

Cold start issues.

Folks,
Even after a new battery change my scorpio( crde 2005- 73km) calls for 3-5 cranks .
On checking the alternator etc is getting charged well. Run on 100/90, fogs also 90w, aux another 100/90 and Hu with amps etc,of course A/c.
But, i dont run more than two sets of lights in city or mostly only on fogs...again when lights are on the horn also goes into limping mode...can't understand.
Pls advice.
cheers
Old 18th January 2012, 13:51   #2700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Cold start issues.

Folks,
Even after a new battery change my scorpio( crde 2005- 73km) calls for 3-5 cranks .
On checking the alternator etc is getting charged well. Run on 100/90, fogs also 90w, aux another 100/90 and Hu with amps etc,of course A/c.
But, i dont run more than two sets of lights in city or mostly only on fogs...again when lights are on the horn also goes into limping mode...can't understand.
Pls advice.
cheers
Possibilities
. Main terminal loose on the battery
. Neutral cable/terminal loose.
. Main cable loose on the terminal
. Starter cable loose inside the terminal

Check the battery terminal(s). If either one is loose the terminals will rotate on the battery post. Tighten them.

If the cables connected to the terminal by screws is loose. Unscrew the screws on top of the terminal, pull the starter cable out. Clean and sand paper the cable conductor, sand paper the terminal hole, push the cable in and tighten the screws fully.

If the main power cable (the thinner cable along side the starting cable) is loose. Check the condition where it is attached to the terminal. If frayed or corroded (highly possible in an old vehicle) pull it out or unscrew it, clean it, put it back and tighten the screws.

Horn limping indicates insufficient current, which happens if the voltage drop across the main cable is high (especially when lights and high power ICE is used, and the main power cable is loose or corroded or undersized). Check the cable contact both at the battery end and at the switch/relay/fuse where ever it terminates first and tighten.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks