Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2013, 11:38   #3436
BANNED

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
But on the other hand you cannot abuse the above brands like you can a Mahindra.
I don't quite agree to this. Toyotas and Mitsubishis are far more reliable and abuse friendly than Mahindras, especially when it comes to their pick up truck based and full bred SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
But come to think of it a Toyota hi-lux is a pretty strong contender for a vehicle that can take pretty much all the abuse that's directed at it.
Forget Top Gear, most militia across the world use Hilux pick up trucks, Nissan patrols and Pajeros for their daily duties. Even the UN swears by Toyota and Mitsubishi.

Quote:
Even though the Fortuner has the Hilux innards, I doubt that most of the owners would be subjecting it to extreme use given the price and maintenance costs
Yes, most Fortuner owners will never subject it to the kind of abuse it can take, however, if and when they do it, it will come out of it unscathed and can be repaired a pretty affordable prices.

In fact, off late, M&M service has become very expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Foretuner is created on a Toyota Forerunner and Hi-Lux Surf platform, the chassis today is shared by Innova, Hi Lux and Hi Ace Van.
Yup, and all of them are known for their sturdiness, durability and ease of maintenance.

Quote:
Do not waste your time bo
thering two hoots about these cheap taiwani Gizmos.

If they were so good and reliable Range Rover and Landcruiser would have deployed them long ago not Mahindra would have introduced this feature.
Fazal, the issue is two fold.
1. M&M tries to lure its customers by filling its vehicles with as many bells and whistles as possible.
2. However, in order to price its products competitively, M&M sources them from low quality suppliers resulting in customer dissatisfaction and irritation due to inconsistent performance and repeated failures pre maturely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The Volvo XC90 & VW Touareg have TPMS.
I hope they are reliable because the Touraeg is not particularly known for its reliability.

This apart, there are many open market options for TPMS available abroad, so while the concept is interesting and seems to be helpful, it is not a "Must Have" but a "Nice to Have" feature.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 11:41   #3437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do not waste your time bothering two hoots about these cheap taiwani Gizmos.

Many times I have verified the tyre pressure of my scorpio tyres against the displayed value both with a very high quality Milton USA gauge and pure brass Bushranger, Australian gauge or my Bushranger electronic gauge the value is true in all these gauges and usually + 5 to 8 psi in this Mahindra system.
I would tend to agree with you completely, the when the manual gauges show same pressure in all tyres after a top up, the TPMS reading for all 5 tyres differ by 2 to 6 psi.

For this reason I am looking at the XUV W6 rather than the W8 as my next vehicle (with the upgrade to alloys)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
When was the battery in the wheel sender unit changed last? Usual life is 4-5 years.
Reset the TPMS system - do what is known as 'L5'.
Thanks SS-Traveller, I never bothered to think that the wheel sender unit would also have a battery . The vehicle is 4.5 years old and no, the battery has never been changed.

Can you guide me on doing the Reset the TPMS system / L5 since the beep for the first few minutes is really irritating (beep stops after that but orange light keeps on flashing) and I do not want to drive 15 kms. to the A.S.S. for this minor issue
Old 16th May 2013, 11:45   #3438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I don't quite agree to this. Toyotas and Mitsubishis are far more reliable and abuse friendly than Mahindras, especially when it comes to their pick up truck based and full bred SUVs.
I have clarified, I mean the vehicles of the above brands available in India. I am pretty confident that given the cost and maintenance of these vehicles in India the chance of abusing these like a cheap maintenance Mahindra brand are remote.
Old 16th May 2013, 12:02   #3439
BANNED

Quote:
For the last some days my TPMS is a acting up, I am constantly getting the low pressure warning for the front right wheel and as per the TPMS the pressure is down to 18.6 psi, however when I had the tyre checked manually the pressure was 31.6.

The cause for my wonder is that as per the TPMS, the pressure reduced overnight by about 4 psi, once the car runs for some time it increases by 1 psi (head would cause the air to expand), but in reality there is no pressure loss in the tyre.

Any ideas
Please replace the sensor in that wheel.

Then do below L5 setup.

Unload the spare wheel to the floor.

Remove all the air caps of 5 wheels & inflate air in all tyres upto 40psi.

Put the ign on, press & hold the set button on the cluster.

L5 will be displayed and LHS front tyre will blink in the green display, drain the air from the same till vehicle will give a beep, then do the same for RHS front , then RHS rear,then spare wheel and at last LHS rear. Follow the sequence of the blink on the cluster, it will guide you.

All wheel should be completed in one min , i suppose.

Enjoy the Sting !.

Last edited by Rajith : 16th May 2013 at 12:07.
Old 16th May 2013, 12:03   #3440
BANNED

Quote:
I mean the vehicles of the above brands available in India. I am pretty confident that given the cost and maintenance of these vehicles in India the chance of abusing these like a cheap maintenance Mahindra brand are remote.
Cost of purchase, I agree with you.

Cost of maintenance, Fortuners are significantly cheaper to maintain than the Scorpio, both over short and long terms since they offer longer spare part life and hence, lower replacement cycles.

Chalo, I stop here, since we are now going OT on this thread.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 12:23   #3441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Then do below L5 setup.
Unload the spare wheel to the floor.
Remove all the air caps of 5 wheels & inflate air in all tyres upto 40psi.
Put the ign on, press & hold the set button on the cluster.
L5 will be displayed and LHS front tyre will blink in the green display, drain the air from the same till vehicle will give a beep, then do the same for RHS front , then RHS rear,then spare wheel and at last LHS rear. Follow the sequence of the blink on the cluster, it will guide you.
All wheel should be completed in one min , i suppose.
Thanks a lot Rajith, will do it over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Cost of purchase, I agree with you.

Cost of maintenance, Fortuners are significantly cheaper to maintain than the Scorpio, both over short and long terms since they offer longer spare part life and hence, lower replacement cycles.
Chalo, I stop here, since we are now going OT on this thread.
Agreed

Last edited by m_upreti : 16th May 2013 at 12:24.
Old 18th May 2013, 20:55   #3442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then do below L5 setup.
The sensors had no problem & the TPMS was correct, the problem was the incorrect calibration (probably during last rotation at the A.S.S.), while I was worrying about the FRH tire, there was a 1.5 inch screw embedded in the RLH tire losing air slowly.

Had the puncture repaired & recalibrated the TPMs (L-5), now working perfectly again
Old 20th May 2013, 10:35   #3443
BANNED

Friends,

Whenever one does Tyre rotations for their TPMS equipped Scorpios, you have to go to L5 mode and calibrate ALL 5 TYRES , else error will come immediately or after some days.

Mean while iam getting a humming noise in AC blower while running at speed 2, after 15 min of operations

Blower is silent in all other speeds and during first 15 min.Please advise.

I suspect blower resistor, mine is under extended warranty.Hope resistor is covered under the same.

Regards,
Rajith.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:45   #3444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

Whenever one does Tyre rotations for their TPMS equipped Scorpios, you have to go to L5 mode and calibrate ALL 5 TYRES , else error will come immediately or after some days.

Mean while iam getting a humming noise in AC blower while running at speed 2, after 15 min of operations

I suspect blower resistor, mine is under extended warranty.Hope resistor is covered under the same.
I realised the L5 mode requirement too late, but never the less the calibration is now done and hopefully next time I will not chase the wrong tire.

Blower resistor is covered, I got is replaced under warranty, for me the blower was not working on position 3.
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:59   #3445
BANNED

Quote:
I realised the L5 mode requirement too late, but never the less the calibration is now done and hopefully next time I will not chase the wrong tire.

Blower resistor is covered, I got is replaced under warranty, for me the blower was not working on position 3.
Hi,
Any time you do a tyre rotation L5 has to be done.
For better tyre life please rotate and turn inside out (normal patterns) in every 20000kms.
I have driven JK brute in my bolero glx for 1.2Lac kms by regularly doing this practice and keeping a healthy suspension.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 13:29   #3446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
This spring fell off near the pedals today while driving, I think this is from the clutch pedal. On peeping under the dash board, I could find a small rod attached to the clutch pedal which I assume holds one end of this spring. I could not locate where the other end goes.

Do I have to get this spring replaced immeditely? How important is this spring and what is its function?
Have faced this issue of fallen spring - had thought then that this would be from below the seat. I was wrong. During a regular service, the mechanic felt above normal 'play' in the clutch pedal and had the spring fit in. Not a critical replacement, but have it fit to get proper play in the clutch pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wads78 View Post
Any idea what this light indicates? It popped up 3 days ago and stays there even after taking the key off ignition.
Had this glow sign go 'on' recently. This is from the fuel filter and indicates accumulated water. Have the fuel filter drained from the plug below. The glow sign should go off. Hope this helps..
roamingrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:38   #3447
BHPian

Guys I have another issue with ac. The cooling is not the same every time I use the truck. It's chillier at times and standard at times although its acceptable. Does this hint a faulty thermostat etc?
Did anyone go through the same issue.
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:04   #3448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Any time you do a tyre rotation L5 has to be done.
For better tyre life please rotate and turn inside out (normal patterns) in every 20000kms.
I have driven JK brute in my bolero glx for 1.2Lac kms by regularly doing this practice and keeping a healthy suspension.
I learnt this too late (almost end of life for the Scorpio with me), so unless I buy a XUV W8, the next vehicle will be without the TPMS.

Thanks for the tips on the tyre maintenance.
Old 22nd May 2013, 21:46   #3449
BANNED

Quote:
I learnt this too late (almost end of life for the Scorpio with me), so unless I buy a XUV W8, the next vehicle will be without the TPMS.

Thanks for the tips on the tyre maintenance.
Wait for W4 with no gizmos.

But remember that you will surely miss your scorpio one day and please remember me.

Last edited by Rajith : 22nd May 2013 at 21:52.
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:45   #3450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wait for W4 with no gizmos.

But remember that you will surely miss your scorpio one day and please remember me.
Well, as far as the lady of the house is concerned her heart is set on the W8 even though she will never sit on the FRH side of the car. I am trying to get her to agree on the W6 with alloys shod on.

I have already started missing the Scorpio even before letting it go, but I want the parting to be fond with memories of it running like a rhino with no blemishes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks