Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 17:04   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Akshay,

Simple - aerodynamics. The bug deflector actually deflects the air at a higher angle than what is provided by the vehicles hood.

So, instead of the air traveling across the line of the vehicles hood & windshield, it will move like an arc from the start of the hood right to the top of the windshield and roof. The bug will get caught in this stream and pushed over the top of the vehicle, hence saving its life and your windshield from splats.

Which is why I said that heavy bugs are not affected by the deflector. The wind force is not enough to "push" the bug up.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 15th June 2010 at 17:05.
Old 16th June 2010, 16:51   #1442
BHPian

I was driving from Mumbai to Gir National Park last year in my Mhawk Vlx. I noticed white colored spots on the windshield which I mistook to be some paint or cement. By sunset the white spots made it difficult to see the road. So I pulled over and decided to wipe the stains off with a wet sponge. As soon as I started wiping there was a foul odor coming from this substance that had formed a whitish film all over the windshield and headlights. While wiping it off I noticed severaly tiny wings and legs in the white gooey mess. I realised that the white film was nothing but huindreds of tiny bugs splattered all across the windshield.Trust me man that bug deflector is either non existent or completely useless.
Old 16th June 2010, 22:24   #1443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
...Trust me man that bug deflector is either non existent or completely useless.
What does this mean?
Do you have a bug deflector fitted? Was it designed for Scorpio type of vehicles? Is it fitted at the correct angle?
Could you please post a pic?
Old 16th June 2010, 22:33   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
What does this mean?
Do you have a bug deflector fitted? Was it designed for Scorpio type of vehicles? Is it fitted at the correct angle?
Could you please post a pic?

Anup,

What is this? How/why did you quote an other persons comment in my post?
Old 17th June 2010, 08:58   #1445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Anup,

What is this? How/why did you quote an other persons comment in my post?
So sorry, HappyWheels! I don't know how it happened!
That post was Wolfheart's!
Old 17th June 2010, 09:16   #1446
Senior - BHPian

I have seen Wolfheart' car. he does not have a bug deflector fitted. i dont know how effective this bug deflector but it really looks very odd on a car!
Old 17th June 2010, 09:20   #1447
Senior - BHPian

Bug deflector is an OEM accessory for Safari and IIRC t-bhp user smsrini has it,You can PM him to find out how effective it is.
Old 17th June 2010, 09:43   #1448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
So sorry, HappyWheels! I don't know how it happened!
That post was Wolfheart's!
I should have read the posts above, would have seen WolfHeart's post. I just check the quoted post and made the response. Sorry about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Bug deflector is an OEM accessory for Safari and IIRC t-bhp user smsrini has it,You can PM him to find out how effective it is.
Bug deflectors are made specific to models, due to the size of the hood; have seen many Safari's & Endeavors spotting it. And come to think of it, I am not sure if I have seen one on a Scorpio.
Old 17th June 2010, 12:53   #1449
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i am so so so pissed off today. I was out of town & I made the mistake of sending my scorpio in the hands of a driver for a car wash. I had asked him to take the car to Carzspa for exterior washing but he claimed that a guy in mulund does an "excellent" job. Since i just needed a simple body wash this time & not exterior detailing, i allowed him to take the car where he wants, a big mistake. After i returned today, i noticed the following things-

1) There were ugly white stains on the AC vents. I think this genius has sprayed some perfume on the vents & turned the AC on. this left the stains. i tried to clean it but in vain!
2) the "Powered by mHawk" badge on the right fender is broken into 3! i bought feviquik & stuck it back.
3) he has bought a "strong stain remover" used to clean grease, oil, etc from mats/plastic to clean my leather seats! thank god i saw that before he used it!

Now the main problem-
4) water vapour has collected inside the left headlamp. i think this happened because of the pressure washing. the "excellent" guys must have directly sprayed on the headlight. i have attached the pics. any idea on how to remove this?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-dsc_0220.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-dsc_0221.jpg  

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th June 2010 at 12:55.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:00   #1450
Senior - BHPian

Raj, get the beam changed under warranty. There is a breach of integrity, else water should not have entered.

Not much you can do about the vents....ask the service centre. Change them?
Old 17th June 2010, 13:01   #1451
Senior - BHPian

Anup saab, so this is not the fault of the washing guys??? my car is out of warranty now!
Old 17th June 2010, 13:02   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Raj,

The only way that I know of to remove this mist is:

1. Either let nature do its work (you can assist it by using a mild warm hair blower)

2. Open the bulb holder, remove the bulb and use a stick with a cloth at the tip. Kind of risky and the end result might have smeared lines inside the head lamp, once dried. :(

But say, isn't your vehicle under warranty? Why don't you take this opportunity to get the head lamp changed?

EDIT:

Anup, you beat me to it!

No Raj, this is not the fault of the washing guy.

Out of warranty is it. Do you have extended warranty? Not sure if it might help, though.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 17th June 2010 at 13:05.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:11   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Raj,

The only way that I know of to remove this mist is:

1. Either let nature do its work (you can assist it by using a mild warm hair blower)
will that effectively clear the vapour? how much time will it take approx?

Quote:
2. Open the bulb holder, remove the bulb and use a stick with a cloth at the tip. Kind of risky and the end result might have smeared lines inside the head lamp, once dried. :(
if its risky, then i will not experiment!

Quote:
No Raj, this is not the fault of the washing guy.
okay, i thought its their fault as this happened only after the car was sent for pressure washing, it was okay before that.

Quote:
Out of warranty is it. Do you have extended warranty? Not sure if it might help, though.
no extended warranty! buggers were asking 12k!
Old 17th June 2010, 13:28   #1454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
will that effectively clear the vapour? how much time will it take approx?..
No idea Raj! My suggestion is just to speed up what will eventually happen. (But with the rains over there, I think "eventually" it will take a little bit more time!).

But I reckon, using the headlight will give the same effect. Just realized that!

And forget the idea of the cloth and stick.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:27   #1455
BHPian

I had posted a query about my A/c making a hissing sound. Before taking it to the ASC i got it looked at by two local mechanics whoc said that there is nothing wrong.

Today, I noticed that the cooling was drastically low and the vents on the passenger's side are throwing warm air. So I took it to the ASC and the technician cleaned the filter and washed the engine bay to get rid of the dust. That didn't help much. Then he said that he will have to check the expansion valve and the cooling coil. Since they were busy today he gave me an appointment for tomorrow.

The service advisor then came in and started implying that it must be the cooling coil and that it probably needs replacement. I told him that the car is less than 2 years old and the coil should be covered under warrnty. He said that he will have to check with Mahindra and confirm.

Firstly, a diagnosis hasn't been made so I suspect his enthusiastic reccomendation of replaicing the cooling coil. Secondly he told me that I'll have to leave the car with them for 2 days.

Does anyone have any idea whether this sounds like a cooling coil problem and whether it takes 2 days to do the job? I'm really paranoid about leaving the car with them for 2 days.

@ anupmathur

I thought that a bug deflector is a default feature in all Scorpios which enables the air to flow at an angle in order to avoid bugs. If it's an external fitting then no, I don't have one installed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks