Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 15:35   #1456
BHPian

@Raj,

Can you remove the hedlight bulb or open the headlight assembly in such a way that the vapour can exit the lamp? If so, then open it, raise the hood and leave the car in the sun for 15-20 minutes. The moisture will evaporate.

I haven't tried this but I think it should get rid of the moisture.
Old 17th June 2010, 17:57   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Today, I noticed that the cooling was drastically low and the vents on the passenger's side are throwing warm air. So I took it to the ASC and the technician cleaned the filter and washed the engine bay to get rid of the dust. That didn't help much. Then he said that he will have to check the expansion valve and the cooling coil. Since they were busy today he gave me an appointment for tomorrow.
it can be the expansion valve. my car used to make a 'whoooa' (!!!) type of noise & it has been rectified after changing the expansion valve.

Quote:
The service advisor then came in and started implying that it must be the cooling coil and that it probably needs replacement. I told him that the car is less than 2 years old and the coil should be covered under warrnty. He said that he will have to check with Mahindra and confirm.
since the cooling has suffered, it can also be the cooling coil! but ask him to check whether the AC refrigerant (Mafron 134 Gas) has leaked or something. it can be simply that you need to top up the refrigerant & thats it!

2 years??!! my car was just 5000kms old when the expansion valve was changed & just 20000 kms old when the cooling coil was changed! not trying to dishearten you buddy but i think its either the gas leak or the cooling coil.

Quote:
Firstly, a diagnosis hasn't been made so I suspect his enthusiastic reccomendation of replaicing the cooling coil. Secondly he told me that I'll have to leave the car with them for 2 days.

Does anyone have any idea whether this sounds like a cooling coil problem and whether it takes 2 days to do the job? I'm really paranoid about leaving the car with them for 2 days.
this job does not require 2 days. in my case, the car's 20,000 kms service & the cooling issue was done together. it did take 2 days but that was because the cooling coil was not available in stock!

see post #160-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...unting-11.html

Quote:
here is the break up of the service bill:

8) Mafron 134 Gas (For AC) - 700 - Rs. 420/-
9) Refrigerant oil 13 - 100 - Rs. 150/-

Labour Charges:

4) AC service - Rs. 3000/-

Quote:
@Raj,

Can you remove the hedlight bulb or open the headlight assembly in such a way that the vapour can exit the lamp? If so, then open it, raise the hood and leave the car in the sun for 15-20 minutes. The moisture will evaporate.

I haven't tried this but I think it should get rid of the moisture.
actually, i am not quite a DIY person. i leave all these work to the A.S.S guys. i know i am stupid!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th June 2010 at 17:59.
Old 17th June 2010, 19:00   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
it can be the expansion valve. my car used to make a 'whoooa' (!!!) type of noise & it has been rectified after changing the expansion valve.
My car had the same noise, it would hoot like an owl! They changed the expansion valve under warranty and the noise has gone.

Quote:
since the cooling has suffered, it can also be the cooling coil! but ask him to check whether the AC refrigerant (Mafron 134 Gas) has leaked or something. it can be simply that you need to top up the refrigerant & thats it!
I'll ask him to check the gas as well. The funny part is that one vent just throws out warmer air even when the A/C is engaged. I know I'm being a bit paranoid about the ASC but like they say, once bitten twice shy!

Quote:
actually, i am not quite a DIY person. i leave all these work to the A.S.S guys. i know i am stupid!
Neither am I! My technical knowledge is zero! All I do is drive! Live to drive like your car sticker says......not live to repair!
Old 18th June 2010, 08:04   #1459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
There is a breach of integrity, else water should not have entered.
Anup Sir, headlight bulb seals are meant to keep rain water out. They are not meant to withstand high pressure wash from a service center.

Raj: Best bet is to remove the bulb and let is evaporate.
Old 18th June 2010, 08:55   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Anup Sir, headlight bulb seals are meant to keep rain water out. They are not meant to withstand high pressure wash from a service center.
May be, but I'm not convinced!
Try to imagine the force of water hitting the headlights when you're driving at high speeds.
Further, so many cars go through those high pressure car washes; why does water not enter their headlight assemblies?
Old 18th June 2010, 09:12   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll ask him to check the gas as well. The funny part is that one vent just throws out warmer air even when the A/C is engaged. I know I'm being a bit paranoid about the ASC but like they say, once bitten twice shy!
true. even i keep my distance from the A.S.S as far as possible!

Quote:
Neither am I! My technical knowledge is zero! All I do is drive! Live to drive like your car sticker says......not live to repair!

actually, i am too scared to touch anything or damage anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

Raj: Best bet is to remove the bulb and let is evaporate.
sure, i'll try that.
Old 18th June 2010, 09:15   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
May be, but I'm not convinced!
Try to imagine the force of water hitting the headlights when you're driving at high speeds.
Further, so many cars go through those high pressure car washes; why does water not enter their headlight assemblies?
It is not from the front as during driving , Well during pressure wash if the service person opens bonnet and spray in engine bay with high pressure and jet just hits the lid of headlight assembly water can enter.
It is not a big problem just open the lid of the headlight assembly from behind ( from where bulb goes in ) and leave it open for 30 mts water vapors will escape.
Old 19th June 2010, 14:10   #1463
BHPian

I had given my car for the cooling coil repalcement yesterday. The service advisor just called and said that they took a test drive and feel that there is some noise when they change from 3rd Gear to 4th. He's recommending that they open the gear box and check which will entail leaving the car for another 3-4 days. He also said that there is some sound from the rear suspension and that my suspension possibly needs an overhaul! My car is less than 2 years old and has done only 24,000 kms.

I told him firmly to leave the rest and just fix the a/c and deliver the car by evening. He replied that he will call me by 4:30 pm and let me know. I'm getting really suspicious now. I have given them the car since yesterday and they are still not committting to finiching the A/C job by today. One thing's for sure, I'm never going back to G3 motors(Malad) ever again!
Old 19th June 2010, 14:23   #1464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had given my car for the cooling coil repalcement yesterday. The service advisor just called and said that they took a test drive and feel that there is some noise when they change from 3rd Gear to 4th. He's recommending that they open the gear box and check which will entail leaving the car for another 3-4 days. He also said that there is some sound from the rear suspension and that my suspension possibly needs an overhaul! My car is less than 2 years old and has done only 24,000 kms. I told him firmly to leave the rest and just fix the a/c and deliver the car by evening.
Good decision, I guess ! My Scorp has a mild notchy / grinding feel occasionally while changing from 3rd to 4th, for the past 10,000 kms. My ASC here at Bangalore, on the contrary, is quite cool about this and says there should be no problems for the next 10k kms as well ! Gearbox repairs start at Rs. 10k upwards, is what I was told (including labour).
Old 19th June 2010, 14:28   #1465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Good decision, I guess ! My Scorp has a mild notchy / grinding feel occasionally while changing from 3rd to 4th, for the past 10,000 kms. My ASC here at Bangalore, on the contrary, is quite cool about this and says there should be no problems for the next 10k kms as well ! Gearbox repairs start at Rs. 10k upwards, is what I was told (including labour).
The funny thing is that my car goes very smoothly from 3rd to 4th, never had a problem with that. I had only asked him to check since it has slipped into neutral on a few ocaccasions while moving from parking.
Old 19th June 2010, 15:33   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had given my car for the cooling coil repalcement yesterday. The service advisor just called and said that they took a test drive and feel that there is some noise when they change from 3rd Gear to 4th. He's recommending that they open the gear box and check which will entail leaving the car for another 3-4 days. He also said that there is some sound from the rear suspension and that my suspension possibly needs an overhaul! My car is less than 2 years old and has done only 24,000 kms.

I told him firmly to leave the rest and just fix the a/c and deliver the car by evening. He replied that he will call me by 4:30 pm and let me know. I'm getting really suspicious now. I have given them the car since yesterday and they are still not committting to finiching the A/C job by today. One thing's for sure, I'm never going back to G3 motors(Malad) ever again!
great decision. never really ask them to touch anything unless you really feel there is something wring with the car. these guys usually try to make some money by these means. also, please ensure that you get your car today itself. a surprise visit to the A.S.S. will be good, it will also help you to relax!
Old 19th June 2010, 15:42   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
great decision. never really ask them to touch anything unless you really feel there is something wring with the car. these guys usually try to make some money by these means. also, please ensure that you get your car today itself. a surprise visit to the A.S.S. will be good, it will also help you to relax!
I'm really unhappy with these guys. I feel the local auto garage would have more integrity. I spoke to the service head and it seems that they were tinkering with something else and have just started with the A/C work as at 3:00 pm. tI have left the car since yesterday afternoon!

Why does mahindra force us to use their ASC's when clearly, people are not happy with the service. I read in another post where other users were complaining about Global Gallerie as well. Firstly Mahindra makes us do servicing at every 5,000kms and we have to leave our vehicles at the mercy of these crooks. Is there anyone from Mahindra on TBhp who has the authority to advise these ASC's so that atleast forum members are assured an honest and hassle free experience?

Last edited by Wolfheart : 19th June 2010 at 15:46.
Old 20th June 2010, 11:27   #1468
Distinguished - BHPian

@wolfheart:

Please complain to Mahindra no through scropio website customer feedback email. These emails are monitored and responded to.
Old 20th June 2010, 15:45   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,

The 1st service for my vehicle (Scorpio SLE) is due in a couple of days. The maintenance schedule chart in the service booklet recommends the following:

1. Engine oil & oil filter change.
2. Rear differential oil change.
3. HVAC particle filter cleaning.
4. Inspection and rectification (if needed) of all other fluid levels, electricals, under chassis etc.

I am also planning to go in for wheel alignment and tyre rotation, but not at the ASC.

Apart from these, should I ask the ASC to do anything else as part of preventive maintenance?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 20th June 2010, 18:09   #1470
Senior - BHPian

this is what was done in my scorpio's 5000 kms service too, nothing else is needed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks