Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 19:09   #3616
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

I own a 2010 Scorpio and the experience has been good. I've done about 25,000 kms on the ODO. One issue that is cropping up time and again is the squeak coming out of the brakes when I apply half-brake to slow down the vehicle in traffic. I have cleaned it multiple time and it is occuring again.

Also for the last 2 days, I experience a small pause, sort of a vaccum for a second or so before applying the brake. Should I adjust something?

Is this a common occurence or a one off issue. A
Old 8th November 2013, 07:07   #3617
Distinguished - BHPian

Could it be a pebble lodged in the brakes? Try this: With brakes gently pressed reverse the car a short distance. Result?

If you put a bit of water on the brake pads does the noise disappear?? Some times dry brake pads with shiny (hard) surface also squeak.
Old 8th November 2013, 08:14   #3618
Distinguished - BHPian

If there's a pebble / stone there, then there'll be a circular groove on the disk.
Old 8th November 2013, 10:06   #3619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
One issue that is cropping up time and again is the squeak coming out of the brakes when I apply half-brake to slow down the vehicle in traffic. I have cleaned it multiple time and it is occuring again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
If you put a bit of water on the brake pads does the noise disappear?? Some times dry brake pads with shiny (hard) surface also squeak.
This issues has been with my Scorpio Vlx (2007) from day 1 in the front right wheel, the A.S.S. & M&M tried everything but it just refused to go. As in case of diwakarmuthu it happens only at very slow speeds on applying partial brakes.
Old 8th November 2013, 10:35   #3620
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
1. The vehicle is up for 30 K servicing, need to know what all I should be going in for and how mush charges should I expect (I will be going to the A.S.S.).
30K is not a major service and should not cost you more than, say 7k INR. Stuff to be done is mentioned in the owner's manual and it is best to stick to it.
Quote:
a. Khat sound from the clutch every time I press it, persists during both gear change and without gear change.

b. Brakes seem to have become spongy (oil seems to be proper)

b. The ride has been come extremely bumpy, could it be the engine & suspension mounts.

c. All the doors are creaking

d. The driver side window movement is not smooth and makes sound (partially on account of the beading being torn due to incorrect fitting during the replacement of the winder assembly)

e. The ICE does not play the USB / SD card (from day 1), the CD play also depends on the mood of the vehicle, it plays at times and at times dosen't.

Breakages:

a. One horn seems to have gone kaput, though it sounds intermittently, I checked the wiring which seems to be fine.

b. Antenna is broken (courtesy the kid and friends climbing on the roof)
30K is not a major service and should not cost you more than, say 7k INR. Stuff to be done is mentioned in the owner's manual and it is best to stick to it.

For the khat sound, get the clutch pedal spring inside the cabin and the clutch finger and release bearing operation checked.

For spongy brakes, get them cleaned and checked, If the issue continues check for pressure loss at the master cylinder and/or the brake cylinders.

For the ride quality issue, get the suspension mounts and the shock absorbers checked for loss in compression/damping capacity.If you can, replace them with TEIN or Bilsteins since you intend to hold on to the vehicle for the next couple of years.

Creaking doors are easily adjusted at the ASC by their tinkerer.

Get a new beading and replace it. If the window is still not smooth, get its rail lubricated and the motor examined.

Since you that your ICE has issues, get it rectified under warranty if it is in force, else purchase a new and better single or double DIN unit.

Horns can be repaired in the open market. So, depending on your budget and time, get it repaired or replaced.

Is the mount broken too? If yes, it is a hassle to get it fixed since it is inside the roof lining in the cabin. If it is only the antenna, get a replacement and tighten it back to place. And yes, kids climbing on the roof of any car is NOT recommended, neither for the kids, nor for the car.

Quote:
One issue that is cropping up time and again is the squeak coming out of the brakes when I apply half-brake to slow down the vehicle in traffic.
It is a known issue and Hariya (My CRDe truck) too is a victim of it. Don't worry, it doesn't have any other negative effects.
Quote:
Also for the last 2 days, I experience a small pause, sort of a vacuum for a second or so before applying the brake. Should I adjust something?
Get your brake cylinders checked for leakages along with the master cylinder. Have you checked your brake fluid levels?
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 12:53   #3621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

For the khat sound, get the clutch pedal spring inside the cabin and the clutch finger and release bearing operation checked.

For spongy brakes, get them cleaned and checked, If the issue continues check for pressure loss at the master cylinder and/or the brake cylinders.

For the ride quality issue, get the suspension mounts and the shock absorbers checked for loss in compression/damping capacity.
Creaking doors are easily adjusted at the ASC by their tinkerer.

Get a new beading and replace it. If the window is still not smooth, get its rail lubricated and the motor examined.

Since you that your ICE has issues, get it rectified under warranty if it is in force, else purchase a new and better single or double DIN unit.

Horns can be repaired in the open market. So, depending on your budget and time, get it repaired or replaced.

Is the mount broken too? If yes, it is a hassle to get it fixed since it is inside the roof lining in the cabin. If it is only the antenna, get a replacement and tighten it back to place.
Thanks for the update Devdath.

1. I will stick to the manual and I don't want to spend anything extra at the moment.
2.Will have the clutch, brakes, mounts & shock absorbers checked.
3. For the beading, antenna & horn I would prefer to do it aftermarket. Both the antenna and horn (Hella) are costing around Rs. 250 each. Beading should also be in a similar range. Will buy and get it installed at a local garage. And yes the antenna mount is broken and during monsoons the roof started leaking from the antenna hole so I had to plug it with MSeal.
4. As regards to ICE I am thinking of plugging in a simple FM / USB unit costing 2 K odd from the local accessory shop.
Old 12th November 2013, 13:08   #3622
BHPian

Hi,
though I have a Xylo, I often visit this Scorpio thread for immense knowledge and varied topics discussed. thanks.

Recently, I put another brand's Diesel Filter (default = Bosch) and wanted to share the same. No, I dont have any business interest with ArrowHead company!

Details : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3274819

with this new part, I have already done 3K+ KM trip

mainly I wanted to ask, is there a way to test efficiency of a diesel filter ?

regards,
Pranav
Old 18th November 2013, 16:21   #3623
BHPian

OT--

Hello Fellow Scorpions,
I am part of lot of Whatsapp groups and I have found it quite handy for quick information sharing/checks.

I have created a Scorpion whatsapp group there which I believe will help fellow scorpions.
I would like to invite those using whatsapp to be part of the group if you share the same opinion.

PM me with your number if interested.

MODS - Please delete this post if its irrelevant to the thread. Sorry for the same.

~Best,
Old 19th November 2013, 21:18   #3624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I will stick to the manual and I don't want to spend anything extra at the moment.
2.Will have the clutch, brakes, mounts & shock absorbers checked.
3. For the beading, antenna & horn I would prefer to do it aftermarket. Both the antenna and horn (Hella) are costing around Rs. 250 each. Beading should also be in a similar range. Will buy and get it installed at a local garage. And yes the antenna mount is broken and during monsoons the roof started leaking from the antenna hole so I had to plug it with MSeal.
4. As regards to ICE I am thinking of plugging in a simple FM / USB unit costing 2 K odd from the local accessory shop.
No time yet to send the car for servicing.

However, could take out an hour to get some minor things done:

1. Horn replaced - Hella (single) - Rs 250 + Rs 50 for fitting - The Bumper had to be taken off.
2. Broken Antenna Replaced - Rs. 250 Rs. The Accessory guy ws upfront that he would not guarantee that it would be leak proof in the mumbai rains, so I have reinforced the sides again with MSeal to take no chances.
3. One of the tail lights was accumulating water - did a DIY by taking it off and draining out the water and sealed all the edges with MSeal, hopefully the water will not seep in now.
4. Got the foot mats replaced - Simple rubber type set of 4 (since the dicky mat is in good condition) - Rs 550.00. At least the car is giving a fresh new rubbery smell of a new vehicle
Old 29th November 2013, 09:54   #3625
BHPian

Folks, not an issue, but am interested to know if the Bilstein shocks will help in achieving better or handling or both on 2011 mHawk ?
Old 29th November 2013, 10:20   #3626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Folks, not an issue, but am interested to know if the Bilstein shocks will help in achieving better or handling or both on 2011 mHawk ?
The bumpiness/roll of the scorpio is more due to poor design of chasis/suspension rather than damper settings. I have posted pictures in some other thread about the limited travel of the suspension. The vehicle is practically sitting on the suspension bump stops most of the time. If Lotus engineers cannot make it better, I am not sure how just changing to Bilstiens will help. Given that four Bilstiens cost about 50K, I don't think you will see that kind of improvement for the money you are spending. Best to live with it for a a while and upgrade to a better vehicle.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 29th November 2013 at 10:21.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 10:47   #3627

Quote:
Dear 2500cc,

I have 2006 Scorpio DX Crde and using bilsteins for the past 3 years, and I absolutely recommend them. The difference in the overall ride stability especially at highway speeds is very noticeable and this translates to a predictability in handling. The investment is worth it if you plan to keep the vehicle for long, mine for instance is in its 7 th year and done 1 lac km. with the bilsteins in city traffic and on bumps you will notice that vehicle will settle down faster instead of swaying and bobbing around.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Sriraj
srirajkota is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 11:36   #3628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The bumpiness/roll of the scorpio is more due to poor design of chasis/suspension rather than damper settings. I have posted pictures in some other thread about the limited travel of the suspension. The vehicle is practically sitting on the suspension bump stops most of the time. If Lotus engineers cannot make it better, I am not sure how just changing to Bilstiens will help. Given that four Bilstiens cost about 50K, I don't think you will see that kind of improvement for the money you are spending. Best to live with it for a a while and upgrade to a better vehicle.
Makes sense Sir!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srirajkota View Post
Dear 2500cc,

I have 2006 Scorpio DX Crde and using bilsteins for the past 3 years, and I absolutely recommend them. The difference in the overall ride stability especially at highway speeds is very noticeable and this translates to a predictability in handling. The investment is worth it if you plan to keep the vehicle for long, mine for instance is in its 7 th year and done 1 lac km. with the bilsteins in city traffic and on bumps you will notice that vehicle will settle down faster instead of swaying and bobbing around.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Sriraj
Thanks Sriraj, however, There are major differences to the Scorpio underpinnings between 2006 to 2011, If am not wrong, 2006 scorpio has leaf springs, right ?
Old 29th November 2013, 12:17   #3629

Quote:
Makes sense Sir!!

Thanks Sriraj, however, There are major differences to the Scorpio underpinnings between 2006 to 2011, If am not wrong, 2006 scorpio has leaf springs, right ?
Hi 2500cc,

The leaf spring set up was discontinued during the overall changes introduced during the later part of 2006, and my vehicle has the new rear suspension and not the leaf springs.

Thanks

Sriraj
Old 4th December 2013, 15:41   #3630
Senior - BHPian

Engine Check light came on last night for no reason at all, I have been driving within the city and that too about 12 kms a day for the last 3 months.

Contacted the service advisor at the A.S.S. on phone, he suggested that I try disconnecting the battery and see after 15 mts, this did not work,

Unfortunately, this trusted SA is on leave till next Wed and I am not comfortable leaving the vehicle with the A.S.S. without him.

Any thoughts, as I need the vehicle for daily office travel (12 kms round trip).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks