Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2015, 14:21   #841
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

My 2011 1.2 Polo has gone thirsty. With 40,000 kms on the odometer, this should not be a problem. I got the 4th service done in the month of April. Since last 3 tankfuls, it has been doing not more then 250kms where it previously used to cover 450kms. The route and driver is same. AC usage pattern is similar. Tyre pressure @ 30psi.
What could be the issue?
Old 29th August 2015, 08:58   #842
Team-BHP Support

Copy of the invoice for the third service.

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-wp_20150828_19_28_50_pro.jpg

1. A windshield washer nozzle was replaced since it was beyond repair. Cost is Rs. 300.

2. They used the leftover engine oil from the 1L bottle from the previous service instead of opening a new 1L bottle.

3. Reused the previous air filter as it was barely dirty. It was changed at 39k km before we left for the trip.

4. Waived off the VAS scanning and the car washing/cleaning charges. The car was extremely dirty when I dropped it but they did a good job.

5. While the SA dropped me at home, there was some cash in the ashtray holder which I had conveniently forgotten to remove. The SA promptly drove back after a while and gave the cash back.

Excellent experience overall. I'd highly rate this service center. Competent advisors, no additional/hidden charges levied, highly skilled technicians with whom I frequently interact. Gave them a box of sweets after I came back from the Ladakh trip.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 10:42   #843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
The other day I was driving my Polo 1.6 and while accelerating hard from 1st gear, I accidentally shifted to 4th instead of 2nd at around 6500 rpm. I didn't hear any abnormal noises at all but something happened to the gear shift lever.

Neutral is now at the position where 4th gear usually is. ..............
You have to change the gear Shifter about Rs 4500+ Labour charges. The gear is cable operated, and one of the cables or it's linkage has slipped.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 12:07   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
You have to change the gear Shifter about Rs 4500+ Labour charges. The gear is cable operated, and one of the cables or it's linkage has slipped.

Rahul
Yes, it turned out one of the cables got cut and had to be replaced. At first they tried adjusting the original cable but it slipped out again during the test drive. Cable cost was Rs. 2500 + 1100 for labour. The shifter itself was fine and was not touched.
bowser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 12:54   #845

Hi Polo Owners,
Appreciate any advice to figure out the problem in my Polo Highline 1.2 Petrol in India. Sequence of events/observations:-
1. ABS warning yellow light on intermittently (continued driving); when warning is Off, ABS functional on hard braking.
2. After a few days ABS warning stayed ON permanently.
3. Brake warning red sign coming ON intermittently. Brake fluid okay, parking brake released, wheel brakes effective.
4. Began noticing sluggishness in steering; no warning sign, did not suspect anything wrong with power steering.
5. Then 'Steering Assist' or power steering yellow light started coming ON intermittently.
6. Whilst driving, whenever power steering warning went off, steering became effective and smooth as butter.
7. Switch OFF-Switch-ON ignition, sometimes power steering & brake warnings went off; only ABS warning stayed.
8. Whenever brake warning is ON, speedo needle stuck at zero and odometer stopped working.
9. Sometimes with ignition switched ON and also whilst driving, brake warning & speedo flickering.
10. STOP & RESTART - often drive entire journey with only ABS warning. No steering/brake warning, speedo/odo functional.
11. Checked out at VW workshop - Only ABS light remained ON during test drive. Diagnostic test results as follows:-
^ BRAKES 1 (03-ABS Bosch 8.2) (6RF907379 0002 ABS8.2 front 6R0907379AB H03)
- 285 8 Right Front ABS wheel speed sensor (implausible signal - static)
- 287 8 Right Rear ABS wheel speed sensor (implausible signal - static)
- 1683 8 Wheel speed signals/vehicle speed (implausible signal - intermittent)
- 283 8 Left Front ABS wheel speed sensor (implausible signal - intermittent)
- 290 8 Left Rear ABS wheel speed sensor (implausible signal - intermittent)
^ Steering Assistance (44-Power Steering) (6RF909144H 0321 EPS_ECU 6RF 909144C H25) - (not clear if checked?)
12. VW advises replacement of all wheel speed sensors. Parts not in stock.
13. Return home from workshop, ABS warning, Steering warning and brake warning (flashing) remained ON. After en-route stop and restart, only ABS warning stayed on for rest of drive of 20 kms.
14. Next morning all warnings ON. Stopped enroute and restarted, only ABS warning ON for rest of drive of approx 30 kms.

I am continuing to drive carefully, with the belief that there is nothing wrong with the braking system. Plan to consult a senior VW service engineer. However, I am not fully convinced that all speed sensors have failed together. Maybe it is a fault in the signal processing system. Also, I wonder if the power steering is connected to the speed sensors in any way?

Please share your experience and advice. Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img20150903wa0001.jpg  

Old 4th September 2015, 21:57   #846
BHPian

Maybe you can check if rats have chewed any wires in the engine bay. I doubt any control modules are fried. Maybe as you drive vibrations are causing the exposed wires to brush against each other and throw random faults.
bowser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 08:39   #847
Distinguished - BHPian

My advice is not to drive around but to get it checked. You don't want a brake related issue on a highway or fast moving stretch of road.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 19:45   #848
BHPian

The fuel lid on my Polo isn't opening anymore! Any advice on how to open it? It's a push-to-open type but it's locked even after unlocking the doors. I tried to access the locking mechanism behind the lid from inside the boot but there doesn't seem to be any way to get access. My tank is empty and the car is practically running on fumes so taking it to the service center is out of the question.
Old 14th September 2015, 19:51   #849
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The fuel lid on my Polo isn't opening anymore! Any advice on how to open it? It's a push-to-open type but it's locked even after unlocking the doors. I tried to access the locking mechanism behind the lid from inside the boot but there doesn't seem to be any way to get access. My tank is empty and the car is practically running on fumes so taking it to the service center is out of the question.
Try this and see if it works:

Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 23:35   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Try this and see if it works:
Thanks Gannu, that worked! You're a lifesaver man! I used one of those metal rulers that we used to use in school to gently pop it open. After that I sprayed some WD-40 on the mechanism and it's working smoothly.

But now I've noticed a new problem. The lid doesn't get locked along with the central locking!
It's always unlocked and I don't know when this started happening. Do you think I should check some fuses?
Old 15th September 2015, 10:18   #851
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But now I've noticed a new problem. The lid doesn't get locked along with the central locking!
It's always unlocked and I don't know when this started happening. Do you think I should check some fuses?
The fuel lid lock actuator is perhaps acting up. Get it checked from the service center. They will replace it FOC if the car is under warranty.
Old 15th September 2015, 15:41   #852
BHPian

Quote:
I face this issue almost everytime the car is refueled. But locking/unlocking the car and pressing the lid a couple of times solves the issue. Will spray some WD40 to smoothen it.
Old 20th September 2015, 13:14   #853
BHPian

My car has completed 50K kms. Got the tyres changed yesterday, and was a little surpised looking at the brake discs. I can actually feel the abrasions on the brake disc with my hand. I have an i10 which has done 60k, and the brake discs are still smooth.

I am also hearing a slight humming sound from the left front wheel. It can only be heard while coasting in 4th gear, as the TDI is too loud and drowns everything out other times. Looks like the brake pads are rubbing against the discs. The VW SA says he cannot hear anything when I took him on a test drive.

I jacked up the car and noticed that the right wheel can be turned quite easily as gainst the left wheel, which takes quite a force to turn manually. Any idea what can be done to correct the brake rubbing? Can I get this done outside?
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-wp_20150920_10_52_56_pro.jpg  

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-wp_20150920_10_53_06_pro.jpg  

Old 20th September 2015, 13:27   #854
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post
My car has completed 50K kms. Got the tyres changed yesterday, and was a little surpised looking at the brake discs.

I am also hearing a slight humming sound from the left front wheel.
I have had the same condition in my Karizma though so all I had to go if change the Disc plate and disc pads. No point in changing brake pads as the Disc plate is gone.

AFAIK, the humming sound could be shot wheel bearings. Does the sound increase with speed?
Old 8th October 2015, 16:18   #855
BHPian

I just got my 3rd Service- 45000 Interval service done today and the bill for my TDI came to 14294 INR. Everything is understandable, but not sure what the Exterior Clean is where they charged 1123 INR. When checked with the advisor, he mentioned, that is where all the filters will be cleaned. I explicitly checked if they charge for washing, he said NO and is included. Attaching the bill here. Can anyone throw some light?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf service.pdf (975.6 KB, 719 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks