Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2015, 08:48   #796
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Are you referring to the headlight? The wiring to the headlights are exposed inside the engine bay, easily accessible to rodents. However, the wiring harness of the taillights, parking sensors etc. are concealed inside the car within the plastic trims. It isn't exposed to the outside.
I was referring to the tail lamp cluster. I doubt a rat could have done it (though some mice are very small and I am willing to bet they can get into all kinds of apparently inaccessible places) but nonetheless it did snap / break for no discernible reason.
Old 6th June 2015, 14:00   #797
Distinguished - BHPian

VW's OEM battery is expected to last ~36 moths,anything over that is bonus for you, however for my Polo could manage 43 months.

Had experienced following symptoms which was diagnosed as 'battery worn out'.

1. Car after 2 hours of driving, refused to restart for 10 min, after which did seem normal
2. Could not move window glass at first instant.

Replaced battery - was Exide and total charges was INR 5095/
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-20150605_124502.jpg  

Old 6th June 2015, 14:22   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
VW's OEM battery is expected to last ~36 moths,anything over that is bonus for you, however for my Polo could manage 43 months.
Experienced one sluggish-start episode, last week, and wondered about mine, which is over three years old now. Is the message to replace with non-VAG?

Actually, how long is a car battery expected to last? My Swift battery died at about the same age, between three and four years. I suspect there is no absolute answer except that it depends on the driving habits and how they affect the charge/discharge cycles.
Old 6th June 2015, 14:30   #799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Actually, how long is a car battery expected to last? .
VW's warranty for the battery stands at 24 months. They say expected life is ~ 3 years.
You can check the battery replacement need by connecting to their VAG diagnostic system.

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th June 2015 at 14:38.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 12:06   #800
BHPian

I would like to share my experience with Viraj Automobiles, Noida.

I got a new Polo 1.5 Tdi around 2 months back and since the starting I had faced the issue wherein I could hear a "thud" noise over bad roads. It was more evident over scattered but small potholes and also expansion joints on the flyovers. It was so severe that I used to slow down to speeds around 20 KM/hr. It could be felt on the steering too, the undulations on the road. There is a 'tik-tik' sound from the steering wheel on steering it to the left or the right. My car has done 3400 KM.

As suggested by the Showroom executive, I went to get this issue checked. This was my first trip to this service center. I was expecting it to be a nice place with ample space for the cars. To my horror, the entrance itself was so filthy and the service bay was really cramped up. For once, I thought of going away and coming back on a week day. Since I was almost inside the main service area, I decided to go ahead. After around a good 10 minutes, a gentleman shows up takes the key and starts to drive the car.
I told him the problem and he acknowledged with a nod of the head. He drives for a good KM, tries to take it over potholes. He was doing 60 kmph on the 2nd gear He gets down, opens the hood - checks for loose elements inside and spanks the bumper and fender on the both sides with his hand. I ask him if he could feel anything - no response. Parks the car back in the showroom and finally he tells me that the suspension is alright and this sound is there in all the new cars. I had driven the demo car before and I could not feel any such issue with it. By this time I was really fuming inside. The unprofessional attitude was a real turn off.

About the tik-tik sound from the steering wheel, they offered to lubricate the steering wheel which I politely refused. I did not want to be stuck there any longer and decided to make a quick exit. I escalated this matter with the sales and the service department, both. They were apologetic and offered to come to my door step for further evaluation of the car, which I refused.
So fellow BHPians, do you know of any contact in VW India where I can take this matter up?
I have decided to give this service center a miss in the futuren. Any suggestions for a decent service center in the NCR region? My work place is Gurgaon. Also, has anyone else faced similar issues?
Old 23rd June 2015, 03:12   #801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddu View Post
I got a new Polo 1.5 Tdi around 2 months back ...
Then I wouldn't think it is related to the problem that I had with my Polo 1.6 petrol three years ago --- but you never know.

There were two symptoms. One was sounding like an old diesel in the first moments of starting, and the other was clunk clunk clunk over every bump and pothole. I was convinced it was a suspension problem, but it turned out to be a known issue: the engine bearings were replaced, under warranty, at the first service. More fool me for putting up with it for a year.
Old 26th June 2015, 12:08   #802
BHPian

I have done 12000K on my 1.5 tdi, an issue has just cropped up for which I need your expert comments.

While braking (above 40 Kms), the steering/ brakes feels jolts & vibrations, what could be the issue? Am running on 205/55/15 contis on company fitted alloy wheels.
Old 29th June 2015, 08:50   #803
NOX

I have done just 7800 km on my New Polo 1.2 petrol highline, from which almost 90% is on the highway ( never expected so much travel on the highway initially).Now i have the service reminder flashing with a spanner with just 1000 km! I taught the first service was supposed to be at 15000 Km. Its been almost 9 months now. I have no issues with the car. Its absolutely amazing on the road, but i have no clue on why the service indicator is up so early. Is there any specific reason ?
Old 29th June 2015, 09:38   #804
BHPian

Hi NOX, This reminder is for the 7500 KM check up for your Polo. It will not be a service per se but a general check up of the car and the fluids.
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:10   #805
BHPian

I recently visited the service center for wiper replacement. It was quick job and was done on the road side parking in front of showroom.

But I have received 4 phone calls from the service center asking me about satisfaction and also requesting me to give a good rating to VW customer care once they call. Well it was a small job and my experience was good, but it is amusing how hell bent they are over satisfaction rating.

Seems there is some attempt at least to keep improving customer satisfaction from the company at the dealer level.
Old 4th July 2015, 04:37   #806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
... ... ...

Seems there is some attempt at least to keep improving customer satisfaction from the company at the dealer level.
Nope. The attempt is to get a report with high satisfaction numbers on it. Not at all the same thing!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 09:00   #807
BHPian

@vivekz
Could you advice which service centre did you visit.
As for me, their Customer service sucks. I too did receive a similar call after the first service of my previous car, but thats where it ends. No follow up whatsoever to find out if we have any grievances against the service rendered or with the car. They have a long way to go.
Old 4th July 2015, 09:38   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hardcore View Post
I have done 12000K on my 1.5 tdi, an issue has just cropped up for which I need your expert comments.

While braking (above 40 Kms), the steering/ brakes feels jolts & vibrations, what could be the issue? Am running on 205/55/15 contis on company fitted alloy wheels.
Most likely, the issue is the brake discs. You can try & get it replaced under warranty, but I wouldn't count on it. Else you can get them skimmed, would still work.
Old 7th July 2015, 08:31   #809
BHPian

The roof antenna of my Polo broke recently. I had asked the service centre for it, they told me the antenna costs Rs. 1700. They also told me that the base of the antenna also needs to be replaced as the threading has worn out. They told me the base costs about Rs. 3000. So the total cost comes to Rs. 4700. I feel that the prices are on the higher side. Does anyone have any idea about other options?

I did enquire in Accessories shops, but none of them have it.

Last edited by Ketan T : 7th July 2015 at 08:32.
Old 7th July 2015, 08:43   #810
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
They told me the base costs about Rs. 3000. So the total cost comes to Rs. 4700. I feel that the prices are on the higher side. Does anyone have any idea about other options?

I did enquire in Accessories shops, but none of them have it.
Check Aliexpress for parts and get them at a cheaper price.

Here they'll charge you a bomb whereas Aliexpress would do it in 1-1.2K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks