Team-BHP - A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/102011-superb-car-cleaning-polishing-detailing-guide-17.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 810078)
Car covers(the good ones) have a tendency to develop micro-scratches on the car paint - use with caution if your car is black.

Yes I agree on this. Some people say if we use car covers frequently it will led to scratches on the glass and on the body.

But for me where my car is parked outside for the whole day and since I use the car only once a week on weekend, I believe that using a car cover is advisable. Any comments or alternate ideas on this please !

Quote:

Originally Posted by snb77 (Post 812694)
since I use the car only once a week on weekend, I believe that using a car cover is advisable. Any comments or alternate ideas on this please !

please use a cover made out of parachute cloth(the thin one).Keep one window just a little open(maybe 5mm) and cover the car.It does a world of good to protect the door rubber beadings etc from UV radiation. In rains,however,you must keep the car uncovered either in a covered parking or in the open.

Have seen covers with internal soft cotton lining which can help avoid scratches. Also ensure the body is clean before you cover it, though if you washed the car let it dry thoroughly before you put the cover.

Simple cloth is also a good idea to protect the car, anyways covering cars with plastic during prolonged rain (monsoon) is not recommended since the moisture will collect under the cover and aggravate rusting.

A polish is a blend of oils that are absorbed by the paint in the same way your skin would absorb a moisturiser. The polishing oils will creat a deep wet look gloss but will offer no protection.While wax on the other hand protect and sealed the gloss of the paint created by the application of polish.

Great info bluealw,

I had never thought about it that way!
Since i see this is your first post, please take a look through the Team-BHP rules.

cya
R

Man, how to keep the Beige fabric interiros clean? My car's barely a month old and the seats are starting to get dirty already. More than the colour itself, it's the fabric material that catches dirt and refuses to release them.

Need a solution to this problem badly please:
Is art-leather seat covers the only way to go?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluealw (Post 838113)
A polish is a blend of oils that are absorbed by the paint in the same way your skin would absorb a moisturiser. The polishing oils will creat a deep wet look gloss but will offer no protection.While wax on the other hand protect and sealed the gloss of the paint created by the application of polish.

Great explanation in simple words !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by praveen_v (Post 838291)
Man, how to keep the Beige fabric interiros clean? My car's barely a month old and the seats are starting to get dirty already. More than the colour itself, it's the fabric material that catches dirt and refuses to release them.
Need a solution to this problem badly

Use an upholstery cleaner like the ones available from Vista Car Care - :: Heart and soul of cars - Why car care

Quote:

Originally Posted by praveen_v (Post 838291)

Need a solution to this problem badly please:

Treat the upholstery with 3M. keeps the dirt away and makes cleaning small spills easy. During the summer months if you are in a very hot place ==> sweat/humid, then throw large Turkish towels over the seats ( white preferable ) to catch the dirt and keep the seats clean.

if all else fails, roll up the windows and use the a/c liberally:)

Guys,

I have this habit of washing the top part of my bike everyday with water coz I cant bear sitting on an inch of dust. I pour a mug of water on the tank and fairing and I use a soaked up sponge cloth for cleaning up the dust. Then I squeeze the water off the sponge cloth wipe up the surface of any excess water for a clean and shiny look.

The problem is, when I wax the surface its all good and shiny, and the water beads up well. I hate wiping off the dust using a dry cloth coz it just scratches up the surface. but a couple of wipes with the soaked sponge cloth, and the wax goes away, even after a couple days after waxing it. How do u water wash the surface after waxing it without wiping off the wax?

My bike stands just off a main road and there is a lot of dust which cant be avoided. i dont like using a hood.

Any suggestions?

Prajwal

Quote:

Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap (Post 840168)
The problem is, when I wax the surface its all good and shiny, and the water beads up well. I hate wiping off the dust using a dry cloth coz it just scratches up the surface. but a couple of wipes with the soaked sponge cloth, and the wax goes away, even after a couple days after waxing it. How do u water wash the surface after waxing it without wiping off the wax?

When you apply wax, it forms a thin coat over the paint surface. So you are better off wiping it lightly to start with and in the second or third wipe you can get it clean. It will not scratch the paint surface due to the wax coat in between. But take care to wipe it lightly initially. IMO this will be the easiest solution

Quote:

Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap (Post 840168)
Guys,

I have this habit of washing the top part of my bike everyday with water coz I cant bear sitting on an inch of dust. I pour a mug of water on the tank and fairing and I use a soaked up sponge cloth for cleaning up the dust. Then I squeeze the water off the sponge cloth wipe up the surface of any excess water for a clean and shiny look.

My bike stands just off a main road and there is a lot of dust which cant be avoided. i dont like using a hood.

Any suggestions?

Prajwal

When you wax your , you actually give a protection to your valuable paint on your bike. A waxing surface needs proper maintainance by using good quality washing gel or shampoo. Washing only by water may not be enough to remove all the dirt/grimes from the surface ,also it may strip your wax protection away dut to its basic or acidic nature.Use a good quality washing product with pH balance formula. I recommended to use you "Meguiars" range of products such as Soft wash gel or Deep crastal car wash which is best in its class worldwide.You also can refer to their website,Car Care Products: Car Waxes to Leather Cleaners, Meguiar's the Leader in Car and Surface Care since 1901 for their various product.

Team,
surelly you know what i mean. looking for some way to get the dogs to "not piss on my car tryes".

I have tried many things like chilli powder, diesel thrown on the tyres to no avail.

anybody got some suggestion ?

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-wax-spray.jpg

I bought a bottle of this, spent and entire half day spraying and rubbing. My indica's dash and door panels still looks the same sunlight faded gray, with all the small scratches intact. I feel so ripped off:Frustrati. Does this particular product not work, or is it my fault ? I sprayed it on, and rubbed it with banian waste.kinda looked ok immediately after, but after a few hours , it looks like the same old:mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 884621)
I bought a bottle of this, spent and entire half day spraying and rubbing. My indica's dash and door panels still looks the same sunlight faded gray, with all the small scratches intact. I feel so ripped off:Frustrati. Does this particular product not work, or is it my fault ? I sprayed it on, and rubbed it with banian waste.kinda looked ok immediately after, but after a few hours , it looks like the same old:mad:

I personally don't like these dashboard polishes, all they do is give too much shine, esp., if its a black dashboard and hence it reflects a lot of sun light onto the windscreen, which hampers vision to some extent. They even attract more dust, but one good thing is, it is easy to clean the dust off.