Team-BHP - A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/102011-superb-car-cleaning-polishing-detailing-guide-22.html)

Hi everyone,

I agree with bblost. Formula 1 Carnauba car wax is one of the best products available in the market today.

I have been using this long before one could buy it in the Indian market. Used to get it from the US. The shine on the car when the wax is used is simply unparalled and it stays on really long.

Even after cople of washes, the wax sticks on and one can see the shine last. The wax also removes swirls, minor scratches and weathering.

Highly recommended product for all you car detailing enthusiasts:thumbs up

Cheers,
gpa

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 960986)
I have a simple routine for car wash.
Its cleaned almost everyday by a guy who does a decent job.

Some weekend I clean her up using brisk or colin along with a soft cloth and then a silicon based polish.

Last week I bought a tin of formulae 1 wax.

So after getting her cleaned up I applied wax.
and its remarkable.

If you have those dark stains from swipes in traffic. A healthy dose of wax removes.
Tiny scratches are gone.
The million of lines under the door handle, gone.

A nice way to spend the afternoon.

Fine, Here is a thread to post THE BEST PRODUCTS as per your PERSONAL experience. Please contribute as it may help to others or atleast me!!

BEST DASHBOARD/PLASTIC CLEANER - WAXPOL
Tried: STP, 3M, AbelAuto

BEST GLASS CLEANER - 3M
Tried: Vista, AbelAuto

BEST ENGINE CLEANER - WURTH DECREASER
Tried: WD-40, Colin, Vim Drop(?), Rustolene(Dont try yourself!!!), Diesel

BEST SCRATCH REMOVER - 3M FINISH IT
Tried: Waxpol

BEST LEATHER CLEANER - MOTOMAX
Tried: 3M, Waxpol, PowerHouse

BEST CAR SHAMPOO - SONAX
Tired: 3M

BEST WHEEL CLEANER - TURTLE WAX F2-21
Tried: AbelAuto

BEST LIQUID WAX - Meguiar's NXT
Tried: 3M, Turtle, Armor-All

BEST CAR POLISH - NUFINISH
Tried: 3M, Kangaroo

BEST OIL ADDITIVE: BARDAHL
Tried: STP

BEST ENGINE FLUSH: OWS 210
Tried: OWS only(!)

BEST FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER: SEAFOAM
Tried: OWS, IFTEX

BEST FUEL ADDITIVE: AUTOMAX F2-21
Tried: Iftex, MP6TY, 2T Oil

So these are my personal experience, please contribute if you trust me.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of a ball point pen ink stain from the steering wheel plastic ? During service i guess a mechanic filled up a challan using the wheel as a rest and left a mark but I havent been able to get rid of it using normal cleaners.

Is it safe to try alcohol ?

^update to the above post, tried eau de cologne and nail polish remover to no effect. Looks like the ink is really ingrained into the material

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottle (Post 977315)
^update to the above post, tried eau de cologne and nail polish remover to no effect. Looks like the ink is really ingrained into the material

Leather. Use it as steering cover!!!!

Why not give IPA (Iso Propyl Alcohol) a try? AFAIK, its pretty non-corrosive, so not to worry much about spoiling the plastic.

Quote:

update to the above post, tried eau de cologne and nail polish remover to no effect.
Have you tried STP - Sun of Gun, its the best cleaner than Waxpol - waxpol just shine better than STP.

How do you actually use a rubbing compound ?

I recently got 3M FINESSE-IT rubbing compound to remove some hairline scratches on my car (color midnight black).

Very eager to remove all the scratches, i applied the 3M Finesse-IT rubbing compound on the bonnet on the small scratches with a soft cloth, and after a couple of mins I started to clean it off using a lint free cloth. To my horror, the compound would not come off, no matter how long I wiped it. Applied wax again a couple of times and tried to wipe it, finally after some serious rubbing, the compound cleared but even now there are swirl marks remaining on the bonnet because of the rubbing compound.

I am sure I did something wrong or my method was not right.

Are there any places where we can buy small cans of paint(spray type), to touch up small dents which scraped paint?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakensoul (Post 978351)

I recently got 3M FINESSE-IT rubbing compound to remove some hairline scratches on my car (color midnight black).

Very eager to remove all the scratches, i applied the 3M Finesse-IT rubbing compound on the bonnet on the small scratches with a soft cloth, and after a couple of mins I started to clean it off using a lint free cloth. To my horror, the compound would not come off, no matter how long I wiped it. Applied wax again a couple of times and tried to wipe it, finally after some serious rubbing, the compound cleared but even now there are swirl marks remaining on the bonnet because of the rubbing compound.

Get the area washed.

Quote:

Never ever use rubbing compound on any painted surface. it leaves heaps of swirls, its meant to smoothen hige scratches, not to be used for small ones.

Quote:

First and foremost leave it for the professionals, rubbing is a delicate job and things can seriously go wrong. But if you still cant keep off, few pointer i would follow:

Ensure the body/part is absolutely cooled down, park in a cool area
Ensure the body is really clean, no dirt, mud, tar etc
Use clean cotton waste (good grade and quality) to apply the rubbing compound in the area
Do not let it dry off completely
Use a moist lint free cloth to rub the affected area, in a circular motion
Wipe off the excess rubbing compound with another piece of cotton waste, same circular motion
Give a coat of good ol polish

If resides are left, easiest and simplest way to dissolve is use some more of the same product over it, the solvent is the same and it will help loosen the dried up residue BUT ensure that you wipe of ASAP also. Water also works most of the time. Never start a fight with a dried up rubbing compound, its a disaster. So always plan and proceed one piece OR scratch at a time.

Happing clean up!

Hmmm. you can do some damamge limitation by diluting the rubbing compound by water, rub it around the area using your fingers, give very light pressure. keep rubbing for some 5 mins. dont let the area heat up.

use jeans cloth and rub on the rubbing-compound affected area. shud help a bit, dont expect any miracles though.

Thanks all for the tips. Will try to do some damage control this weekend.

How to clean the interior roof material of the car? Since when we rub,it looks like that material is starting to peel.

I have some very bad marks on inside of the roof.Please help.