Team-BHP - A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/102011-superb-car-cleaning-polishing-detailing-guide-512.html)

What's the best way to keep the Exhaust tips shiny? My Superb's tips seems to have turned blackish

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 3186146)
What's the best way to keep the Exhaust tips shiny? My Superb's tips seems to have turned blackish

Sir , Try Eagle One Never Dull , and you will be happy :)

Heres the review

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...nevr-dull.html

Hope It Helps

@Parthasarathig : Some Great results out there , please post pics after wolfgang sealent also :D

Regards

So I decided to follow through with Ultimate polish and the results were amazing - called up @Notorious to clarify on the technique.

here are some pictures after an IPA wipedown as UP leaves behind oils -

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130722_160152.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130722_160206.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130722_165506.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130722_165658.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130722_165721.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130722_165847.jpg

Some pics after applying Wolfgang DGPS 3.0

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130722_172234.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0023.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0024.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0035.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0038.jpg

The last few pics I took with the dSLR just to capture the clarity of reflections plus some of the deeper (few) swirls that need to be removed. All in all, I was blown away.

Edit:- @notorious I was typing this and just saw your post. Hope you like them :D

Meanwhile, day before yesterday, I got a call from Nirmaljusdoit of an impromptu detailers meet - since @Notorious was in Bangalore. Sadly I was out of town on a ride and missed most of the discussion - but decided to catch up with them in the evening since I had been wanting some training with the machines for a long time.

It was an interesting session - to see all the great minds at work. I was humbled by their knowledge of the subject. I realised I know only 10% of what they know, but this has only strengthened my motivation to learn about it even more.

It was a pleasure to meet @Notorious in person, someone with whom I had only been speaking over the phone for the past few months.

@Nirmal was kind enough to allow me hands on with both the rotary and dual action Flex polishers and menzerna compounds which were being tested. One word for menzerna - amazing. FG400 finished without even needing a second step - it was amazing to see such results.

Mr. Hari of Greenzcarcare was also present and I got to try out some CarPro products also - like the wool pad etc.

The Keystone team was also present and were very helpful all throughout. Atleast now Im not that scared of a rotary.

Man, Jaspreet aka Notorious has magical hands.

Some clicks from the meet :-

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_174526.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_183930.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_183942.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_183950.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_183951.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_184203.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_184206.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_185111.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_185128.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_185215.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_190146.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_191734.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_191801.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_192236.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_192542.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_193434.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_193448.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_193446.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130720_194036.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnyBoi (Post 3184962)
...perhaps one last exterior related post, maybe not :p
Rear. Notice the wet bumper :D

Been a silent admirer of you work all along,the bumper looks brilliantly yellow! Superb work there. I doubt if the bumper was as shiny as it is now when Fiat made the car!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parthasarathig (Post 3186237)
The last few pics I took with the dSLR just to capture the clarity of reflections. I was blown away.

That's some pro results there Partha! It looks like the Kestrel DAS 6 pro is a real good vfm machine with which one can achieve good results with the right technique.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashank.nk (Post 3186243)
That's some pro results there Partha! It looks like the Kestrel DAS 6 pro is a real good vfm machine with which one can achieve good results with the right technique.

Thank you for the kind words mate. Had it not been for your advice, Id never have picked up the Kestrel. It is indeed a vfm machine. In the pics above, you can see Notorious trying out my machine.

For a DIY guy, this machine is best. With the right pad and product combination, this will cut through most of the OEM paints.

Having used a rotary, a forced rotation DA and a free spindle DA, I felt more comfortable with my machine due to zero learning curve. The rotary takes a bit of getting used to - nothing too difficult, but takes some skill to handle those machines. Im happy with my Kestrel for the moment :P

Thanx For The Pics Buddy !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parthasarathig (Post 3186249)
Im happy with my Kestrel for the moment :P

Dont tell me that you dont have plans for Makita or flex in future :D :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS (Post 3186253)
Thanx For The Pics Buddy !

You are welcome. Thanks for helping me out over the phone regarding the combinations.

Quote:

Dont tell me that you dont have plans for Makita or flex in future
And thats why I said, Im happy for now. ;) But aap to jaante hi ho, Makita pe to meri nazaar pehle se hi hai (you know that my sight has been on the Makita ever since)

And lets not forget your new found love for the flex machines lol: Somebody was totally in love that day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parthasarathig (Post 3186249)
Thank you for the kind words mate. Had it not been for your advice, Id never have picked up the Kestrel. It is indeed a vfm machine. In the pics above, you can see Notorious trying out my machine.

For a DIY guy, this machine is best. With the right pad and product combination, this will cut through most of the OEM paints.

Having used a rotary, a forced rotation DA and a free spindle DA, I felt more comfortable with my machine due to zero learning curve. The rotary takes a bit of getting used to - nothing too difficult, but takes some skill to handle those machines. Im happy with my Kestrel for the moment :P

Haha! If you plan on selling the Kestrel anytime soon let me know ;)
Been off the grid with the car sale and other things on mind. Will start serious detailing once the baby SUV from Ford comes home. Until then my wishlist keeps growing and growing :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashank.nk (Post 3186261)
Haha! If you plan on selling the Kestrel anytime soon let me know
Been off the grid with the car sale and other things on mind. Will start serious detailing once the baby SUV from Ford comes home. Until then my wishlist keeps growing and growing

Haha no Im gonna keep it for the regular waxing sealant stuff which is much easier by machine than hand.

Good to know everything worked out for you :D Hope to see your SUV on this thread soon clap:

Quote:

So I decided to follow through with Ultimate polish and the results were amazing - called up @Notorious to clarify on the technique.

Are those drops all you put on the pads? It would have been better if you would prep the pad with the product.

This was Megs Cut n Finish with Megs Cutting Pads right after sanding with 1500 grit. All scratches taken out :D love it!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20130721_120328.jpg

Quote:

Meanwhile, day before yesterday, I got a call from Nirmaljusdoit of an impromptu detailers meet - since @Notorious was in Bangalore. Sadly I was out of town on a ride and missed most of the discussion - but decided to catch up with them in the evening since I had been wanting some training with the machines for a long time.

It was an interesting session - to see all the great minds at work. I was humbled by their knowledge of the subject. I realised I know only 10% of what they know, but this has only strengthened my motivation to learn about it even more.

It was a pleasure to meet @Notorious in person, someone with whom I had only been speaking over the phone for the past few months.

@Nirmal was kind enough to allow me hands on with both the rotary and dual action Flex polishers and menzerna compounds which were being tested. One word for menzerna - amazing. FG400 finished without even needing a second step - it was amazing to see such results.

Mr. Hari of Greenzcarcare was also present and I got to try out some CarPro products also - like the wool pad etc.

The Keystone team was also present and were very helpful all throughout. Atleast now Im not that scared of a rotary.

Man, Jaspreet aka Notorious has magical hands.

Man, wish I was told of this! Would have loved to be there!

I really want to learn new techniques on a rotary - one I use is something I've come up with and works for me, however there are better techniques out there which must be learnt!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnyBoi (Post 3186326)
Are those drops all you put on the pads? It would have been better if you would prep the pad with the product

I really want to learn new techniques on a rotary - one I use is something I've come up with and works for me, however there are better techniques out there which must be learnt!

No they were just the priming the pads drops. After coming back from the meet, i watched Junkman's videos and now Im following his technique of priming the pads.

Add the few drops on the pad. Set the machine on low speed and turn the polisher on for a few passes. The pad is then primed.

Hit with water spray and add few more drops - now you are ready to work.

Why I follow this technique?

Because my pads being uneven, it will be difficult to prime them evenly. The priming by hand technique works well on flat pads, ccs pads. And the other day, I had tried the same method, but results weren't great. So shifted to Junkman's tried and tested method.

About the meet - we all missed you and spoke about your carnauba habits changing into sealant love ;) In fact, I would have also missed it, but made it to Bangalore in time.

Im sure, you would've enjoyed it even more - especially with the Menzerna compounds. Imagine FG400 on a wool pad finished with just 1 step - no follow up required at all. If its Menzerna @Notorious is the mastermind. And @Nirmal can control a machine like the flex with just one hand. He was guiding me to use it, and he didnt even have to hold with both hands - whereas the machine was wrestling with me. I was just amazed how much control they have with their tools.

Those guys are at a totally different level man. My knowledge is nothing compared to theirs i realised that day.

You have been making great progress with your paint also. The amount of sanding you do, makes me jealous :p I cant even touch my OEM paint. There is so much orange peel. Btw are you sanding with discs or papers? Where did you get them from?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parthasarathig (Post 3186391)
No they were just the priming the pads drops. After coming back from the meet, i watched Junkman's videos and now Im following his technique of priming the pads.

Add the few drops on the pad. Set the machine on low speed and turn the polisher on for a few passes. The pad is then primed.

Hmmm I follow the Mike Philips way of loading; massage compound on contact area of pad to prime and then draw a line of product and pick it up with the pad slightly angled when working.
Quote:

Because my pads being uneven, it will be difficult to prime them evenly. The priming by hand technique works well on flat pads, ccs pads. And the other day, I had tried the same method, but results weren't great. So shifted to Junkman's tried and tested method.

What size pads are you using? Try the LC pads, I'm impressed with the Orange CCS pads.
Quote:

About the meet - we all missed you and spoke about your carnauba habits changing into sealant love ;) In fact, I would have also missed it, but made it to Bangalore in time.

Wahhahaha my love for carnauba will never fade! I have topped up M21 with M26 which is a carnauba wax :D
Quote:

Im sure, you would've enjoyed it even more - especially with the Menzerna compounds. Imagine FG400 on a wool pad finished with just 1 step - no follow up required at all. If its Menzerna @Notorious is the mastermind. And @Nirmal can control a machine like the flex with just one hand. He was guiding me to use it, and he didnt even have to hold with both hands - whereas the machine was wrestling with me. I was just amazed how much control they have with their tools.

Different compounds need different techniques as well as pads. Biggest difference being DAT vs SMAT. SMAT is more noob friendly (Megs) while DAT needs a bit more experience(Menzerna)

Experience is the key word - No matter how much you read on the web and see the results, you will always discover something unsaid anywhere else with your car and your paint.

I was very disappointed when the well established techniques I heard from others did not work. One left bad holograms on my paint and the other (Zenth technique) was totally useless for me. Perhaps its something that I'm doing wrong; or it may be with my selection of rotary/pad/compound. Unless I see someone else proving to me about the other technique working on paint as bad as mine, I guess I'll never believe!

Quote:

Those guys are at a totally different level man. My knowledge is nothing compared to theirs i realised that day.

I badly want to learn more about wool pads. My roof is in such a bad shape. Cutting compounds and Cutting pads doesn't "cut" it :(
Quote:

You have been making great progress with your paint also. The amount of sanding you do, makes me jealous :p I cant even touch my OEM paint. There is so much orange peel. Btw are you sanding with discs or papers? Where did you get them from?

Hehe you need to see it in person. My hatch and bumpers are both single stage. I used a different technique/strategy on the bumpers than hatch; Got swirl free finish in just one step compared to two on the hatch. It's all about learning and evolution this :)

What does the junta say about chemical guys hex logic pads?
Thinking about getting a few. They are available in 4" size and should fit my DA power system perfectly.
Was also reading about open / closed cell structure - interesting stuff!

Well, after 3 months of starting to do a beginner's detailing (shouldn't even call that) - wash with ONR, Meguiars quick detailer and Turtle paste wax, all manual effort with proper applicator pads and MF clothes, I guess I must move on to something which saves labour. The White Duster is large and the work is taxing even though we do this only once in a month. It takes as much as 3 hours start to finish. Yes the water beading is good as we found in couple of rains. But I do think the shine certainly is absent. The questions to The experts in this forum:

1. What should be the DA polisher I should look at and which is available in Bangalore or within India?
2. What other accessories one should get along with the polisher?
3. What reasonably priced wax, polish, sealant I should look at for regular upkeep? Though I planned to buy Collinite 845 or 915, I want to finish the Turtle Wax I have; should last another 2 more rounds. Is Collinite still the right choice?

Will appreciate all suggestions. Thanks in advance, Cheers :)

Some new stuff in my detailing rack except mothers
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-maxi_suds_degreaser.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waxeloquent (Post 3187591)
1. What should be the DA polisher I should look at and which is available in Bangalore or within India?
2. What other accessories one should get along with the polisher?

I doubt any good ones available in India, I'm also looking for one. I'm sure this thread is more active and people try various DA and Pads. They could comment.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waxeloquent (Post 3187591)
3. What reasonably priced wax, polish, sealant I should look at for regular upkeep? Though I planned to buy Collinite 845 or 915, I want to finish the Turtle Wax I have; should last another 2 more rounds. Is Collinite still the right choice?

I use Klasse combo, it works for me. I got this from US.