Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2012, 10:32   #1141
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
Gerard,
It's a great idea to switch to HIDs. The difference esp on highways and in rainy conditions is astounding.
I have p8 4200k installed and they work just great.
Cost was ~10k.
Does this any way affect the warranty.

Also heard that it can have blurring effect on the casing(mirror & glass). BTW which brand?
Old 14th November 2012, 10:35   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki
Also heard that it can have blurring effect on the casing(mirror & glass). BTW which brand?
Blurring effect? Didn't quite understand. Do you mean in the long term or now when I switch on the light?
Brand is P8.
kaiserketkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 10:51   #1143
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Does this any way affect the warranty.

Quote:
Blurring effect? Didn't quite understand. Do you mean in the long term or now when I switch on the light?
Brand is P8.
What Vasuki meant was: because of the additional heat generated by the high wattage bulbs/HIDs, the headlight-unit's front transparent glass/plastic tends to melt/deform/change-transparency. It might not happen overnight, but over sustained use, one might be able to notice it. Depends on the quality of plastic used for the headlight front.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 10:59   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP

What Vasuki meant was: because of the additional heat generated by the high wattage bulbs/HIDs, the headlight-unit's front transparent glass/plastic tends to melt/deform/change-transparency. It might not happen overnight, but over sustained use, one might be able to notice it. Depends on the quality of plastic used for the headlight front.
Aah, yeah that's possible. Maybe.
I heard of similar possibilities when I installed 100/135s on my Scorpio. I figure it's better to tackle that possibility If and when it happens and have better light in the bargain for a few years to come.
kaiserketkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 11:56   #1145
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also heard that it can have blurring effect on the casing(mirror & glass)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The fading/blurring/burning of the reflector should not be a problem with HID.

A comparison is given below;

HID vs Halogen

- The HID is up to 3 times brighter, and lasts up to 10 times longer.
- HID lights last up to 10 times longer than halogen lights as they do not have a filament in the bulb. HID lights produce much less heat than a halogen light, so there is a reduction in the burning of the lens and reflector.
- HID lights draw 60% less power than a halogen lights. This allows you to use 4 HID lights and still use less power than 2 halogen (100W) lights.

Source - http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/supernovaHID.html

Some of the benefits of HID over halogen are...

-Up to three times less wattage is used (HID = 35w, halogen = 55-100w)
- Up to four times more bright light produced (HID = 2400-3200lu, halogen = 800-1700lu)
- Up to ten times more intense light produced (HID = 202,500cd, halogen = 21,000cd)
- Up to six times longer lifespan (HID = 2500hr, halogen = 400hr)
HID light contains less infrared and ultraviolet light, which fatigues the driver and surrounding motorists
- HID light illuminates the road with better contrast and more lifelike tones of color
- Halogen filaments naturally produce a color of 2300K to 4000K (2300K is yellowish, 4000K is whitish) Anything bluer requires the use of light-dimming color filters
- HID produces a natural color of 4100K to 6000K (4100K is daylight white, and 6000K is slightly bluish white) Anything bluer requires the use of light-dimming color filters
- HID lighting produces a wider and deeper beam pattern with razor sharp cut off lines and autolevelling motors
- HID has low lumen maintenance, meaning bulbs do not dim down as much towards the end of their lives
- HID has high flux properties, meaning light is very evenly distributed when installed properly

Source - http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

Go ahead and change to the headlight to HID. Just get a good brand and stay with lower colour temperature (ideal - 4100 kelvin). The white (6000 kelvin and above) may look impressive, but the visibility is poorer when compared to 4100 Kelvin. If it is raining, the visibility goes from bad to worse and you get to see a white wall of water and not the road.
MAS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 12:20   #1146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu

2. The vehicle is fitted with Apollo tires. My understanding is that the standard used to be either bridgestone or JK tires. Again, any XUV owner who got Apollo tires as original fitment? Any opinion on Apollo tires?

Do Let me know. Thanks.
Yes. I got my xuv last weekend on dhan teras. It is fitted with Apollo. I was also shocked but salesman told that m&m have included Apollo also as option now and some batches are coming with apollos. I didn't get time to read about this particular set of Apollo. Generally apollos are harder and meant for Indian terrain. I am finding it ok. I have covered only 100 Kms so it is too early to comment confidently. So far enjoying my ride and look from onlookers on road.
Old 14th November 2012, 13:15   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS

The fading/blurring/burning of the reflector should not be a problem with HID.

A comparison is given below;

HID vs Halogen

- The HID is up to 3 times brighter, and lasts up to 10 times longer.
- HID lights last up to 10 times longer than halogen lights as they do not have a filament in the bulb. HID lights produce much less heat than a halogen light, so there is a reduction in the burning of the lens and reflector.
- HID lights draw 60% less power than a halogen lights. This allows you to use 4 HID lights and still use less power than 2 halogen (100W) lights.
Oho! That's some interesting bit of info.
Thanks MAS.
So from this, the cost is the only thing that works against the HIDs. Otherwise they're better in all respects.
Old 14th November 2012, 14:17   #1148
BANNED

OT

Quote:
So from this, the cost is the only thing that works against the HIDs. Otherwise they're better in all respects.
Nope, there are a few other issues:

HIDs are prone to malfunctioning due to jerks and vibrations and hence tend to fail faster on Indian road conditions.

Light loose connections/sparking results in ballast failure pre maturely and is NOT covered under warranty.

HIDs are difficult to replace when gone kaput at any place but a bustling city with a good automotive market.

Unless chosen with the right "K" rating, HIDs only appear bright to oncoming traffic but do not illuminate the road as required by the human eye.

OT: This is why hard core tourers, especially in Africa and Australia NEVER depend on HIDs alone/ do NOT use HIDs.

Chalo, back to XUVs now.
n.devdath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 14:42   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
OT

HIDs are prone to malfunctioning due to jerks and vibrations and hence tend to fail faster on Indian road conditions.

Light loose connections/sparking results in ballast failure pre maturely and is NOT covered under warranty.

HIDs are difficult to replace when gone kaput at any place but a bustling city with a good automotive market.

Unless chosen with the right "K" rating, HIDs only appear bright to oncoming traffic but do not illuminate the road as required by the human eye.
I have never seen any of these problems with two of my cars which have travelled thousands of kms over the years on different types of terrains. Ive installed Philips 6000 K kits in both.

There is no data that says that 4300 or 6000 K is better or worse. It only depends on individuals perceptions over the light spectrum. Im comfortable with 6000 K and can seen the road properly over foggy or rainy conditions. Others who have driven my car some have an issue, some dont.
Old 14th November 2012, 14:54   #1150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

Go ahead and change to the headlight to HID. Just get a good brand and stay with lower colour temperature (ideal - 4100 kelvin). The white (6000 kelvin and above) may look impressive, but the visibility is poorer when compared to 4100 Kelvin. If it is raining, the visibility goes from bad to worse and you get to see a white wall of water and not the road.
Quote:
OT

OT : What's the correct rating of "K" ? Is it 4200K? BTW does HID systems require proper lenses/tubes, to avoid light throw getting dispersed?

Also nobody gives reply abount the warranty part. Does it void the M&M warranty?
Old 14th November 2012, 15:09   #1151
BANNED

Quote:
What's the correct rating of "K" ? Is it 4200K? BTW does HID systems require proper lenses/tubes, to avoid light throw getting dispersed?

Also nobody gives reply abount the warranty part. Does it void the M&M warranty?
K stands for Kelvin, which is mostly used as a temperature rating, however, it also signifies the intensity of the HID being used. You generally get HIDs right from 3000K to 10000K or even higher, however, there is a difference between intensity and brightness and this is where the ideal K rating comes into effect and the recommended K rating is 4000-4200K because it is the closest to day light color and intensity.

Hope this clarifies, else there is a entire group of HID threads here on the forum

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2012 at 12:16. Reason: Search ids expire after sometime. Removing the search link
Old 14th November 2012, 15:43   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
OT : What's the correct rating of "K" ? Is it 4200K? BTW does HID systems require proper lenses/tubes, to avoid light throw getting dispersed?

K means Kelvin, just google for the meaning and you will get the color range of the Kelvin scale. It is better to install in a projector set up but not compulsory. You will get good output with normal lenses also provided the kit is good quality !

There is no effect on your warranty as long as you dont cut any wires to install it. Ive done so, without cutting any wires and warranty on both my cars wasnt affected. The Philips kits are the best since they are plug and play. Go for the 4300 or 6000 K depending on your preference for color output and which your eyes are comfortable with.

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 14th November 2012 at 15:46.
Old 14th November 2012, 16:31   #1153
BHPian

Guys, listen to n.devdath and me (an ex-HID user). Unless you are using projectors to focus HIDs' beams on the road, you are putting yourself at risk by using HIDs on highways and driving at high speeds. If you don't use projectors: then the light simply scatters and doesn't illuminate the highways at night the way you NEED to. It also blinds oncoming traffic.

Now, I don't know if XUVs come with projectors; I simply assumed not, since the cars that offer HIDs as OEMs (like the high end sedans) have a projector system.

As one who has used HIDs and reverted back to 100/90 + auxiliary lights setup, I can assure you that HIDs are useless in dark nights on highways and more so when it's raining.

Quote:
OT

Nope, there are a few other issues:

OT: This is why hard core tourers, especially in Africa and Australia NEVER depend on HIDs alone/ do NOT use HIDs.

Chalo, back to XUVs now.
ssh1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 19:04   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Guys, listen to n.devdath and me (an ex-HID user). Unless you are using projectors to focus HIDs' beams on the road, you are putting yourself at risk by using HIDs on highways and driving at high speeds. If you don't use projectors: then the light simply scatters and doesn't illuminate the highways at night the way you NEED to. It also blinds oncoming traffic.

Now, I don't know if XUVs come with projectors; I simply assumed not, since the cars that offer HIDs as OEMs (like the high end sedans) have a projector system.

As one who has used HIDs and reverted back to 100/90 + auxiliary lights setup, I can assure you that HIDs are useless in dark nights on highways and more so when it's raining.
+1. Exactly what I intended in earlier posts. My cobrother had similar issue and he later reverted to normal bulbs. BTW XUV does have projector setup which is used as low beam option. Does it help to change the HIDs in the projector setup/ is it possible to fine tune it?
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 22:39   #1155
BHPian

Guys, I have noticed this problem in my car earlier too but wasn't sure so had not posted about it till now but yesterday confirmed it is indeed a problem. its the Hill Descent control. when activated on a slope I found that it works but also makes some weird whistling noise. the car moves at about 30kmph for a while and then crosses that limit and reaches about 40kmph! then again brakes are applied and speeds are back to 30. this thing keeps on repeating and noticed when the slope is longer. I had put my car in neutral and started Hill Descent control and took off my leg from all the pedals.

The thing thats bothering me is the strange whistling noise that starts when HDC is activated.

also are you supposed to put your car in neutral when activating it or should it be in gears? how exactly are you suppose to use it?

second thing I noticed yesterday when I first tested cruise control is that when activated at say about the speed of 60kmph and then deactivated by either pressing brakes or by pressing the cruise control off button, the cruise control again starts and reaches the set limit when pressed the "RES" (Resume) button even after 5-10 minutes! I was told by a mahindra guy at the showroom who gave me the demo during the delivery, that the Resume button works only if it is activated whithin 30 seconds or so after the cruise control is deactivated. but it works even after 5-10 mins in my car.

I think its a bit dangerous because what if you accidently press the RES button? as it developes the speed rapidly to reach the set limit. ideally RES button should work only for sometime and cruise control should reset after sometime.

also it doesn't matter if you are in 3rd gear also if it is suppose to reach 80kmph. it will anyhow. I was in 3rd gear yesterday and it went on to touch 80 almost before I pressed the brakes as I am still in the running in period of my car. so irrespective of the gears, it reaches the set limit when activated.

also does anyone know how much speed will increase or decrease when clicked + or - once? since XUV has click type buttons on the steering wheel. I reached almost 80 from 60-65kmph by using the + button for adjusting the speed.

and it must be said that after experiencing the cruise control for the first time yesterday at empty stretch, I thing this thing is just great and should be a boon on long distances and expressways. the feeling of resting your legs for even a few minutes feels nice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks