Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 23:08   #136
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Easy to test; at night when its dark, attempt to start the engine whilst at the same time spraying a thin film of water across these leads. If you see sparks, replace all the leads and the distributor cap for good measure
Will those sparks or the thin water film short the electricals? Isn't there any other method to check the leads and distributor caps?!

Anurag.
Old 11th January 2014, 08:17   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Will those sparks or the thin water film short the electricals? Isn't there any other method to check the leads and distributor caps?!

Anurag.
No, no danger in shortening. Don't hose down these leads. The idea is to have just a very thin film of water on them. I use something like this: http://images.blokker.nl/products/10...VB_0128655.jpg

There are there way's of checking: Find yourself the workshop manual and look up the resistance of these cables and check. And, have a very close up inspection of the cables and distributor gap for small gaps. Neither of these two methods is fool proof though. The spray test is more comclussive, because it actually shows that (high) voltage is effectively 'leaking' away.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 22:36   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Does the starter motor make any song while cranking?

I'm not sure to suggest but did you try a jump start?

Anurag
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You have water in either the electricals (especially the distributor), or the air intake.

Remove the distributor cap and wipe the inside with a dry rag. Clean and dry the spark plug HT cables and ignition coil body.

Check the air filter box for water accumulation. Clean and dry. If the air filter appears moist, dry it or better still, replace with a new one.

Leave the car out in the sun with bonnet open for a day, and fingers crossed, it should start.
Thanks.
After posting here, wife called saying "Car started on first crank".

The sun's heat had done the job.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2014, 23:21   #139
BHPian

Just experienced a peculiar incident with my Zen. The battery didn't connect as soon as I turned on the ignition. Opened the door & Voila! problem solved.

The Zen has central locking. Is it a major problem in the wiring. This happens only sometimes.
Old 16th February 2014, 12:40   #140
BHPian

I find over the last couple of months, that my dad's M 800 (2009) has an engine delaying cranking up on the key turn. it seems like there's a 2-3 second delay between me turning the key and the engine actually cranking. Has any body experienced this? I suspect an ignition switch issue, but then I thought if some body had a previous experience here? I am so scared of hearing a mechanic diagnose it and giving his comments when all they are interested is in some fast buck!
Old 17th February 2014, 09:00   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedup View Post
The battery didn't connect as soon as I turned on the ignition. Opened the door & Voila! problem solved.
Could you please elaborate? Do you mean the telltale lights on the dashboard did not come on when you turned on the ignition switch? Or the starter refused to crank but the lights came on?

If the telltale lights do not come on, it indicates a loose connection or corroded contacts somewhere, perhaps at the battery terminals, or at the main fuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
...M 800 (2009) has an engine delaying cranking up on the key turn. it seems like there's a 2-3 second delay between me turning the key and the engine actually cranking.
Again, similar question - do the telltale lights on the dashboard come on, but the starter motor refuses to turn over? If this is the case, you need to check the following:
1. The joints of the battery cable connecting directly to the starter (for loose contact / corrosion);
2. The starter solenoid (whether it is actuating properly - signified by a loud 'click' sound as soon as the starter key is turned - and whether, after actuating, it is allowing current to flow to allow the starter to turn; and
3. The carbon brushes of the starter motor - whether they are worn out or not.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 11:09   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please elaborate? not.
Thanks SST, yes, the ignition lamps went off as usual, the click was heard, and then the 2 to 4 seconds wait till the crank turns.
I was thinking if there is a contact loosened in the ignition switch which is present inside the steering column.
Also what would the indication be if the ignition coil is defective? I guess it should crank perfectly then, right? Thanks in advance!
Old 17th February 2014, 14:31   #143
BHPian

Thanks SST. The telltale lights come on sometimes only if I open the door. So, I guess it may only be a loose wiring, maybe involving the central locking too.

Once the said lights are on, there is no other problem with the ignition.
Old 17th February 2014, 15:02   #144
Senior - BHPian

Need an advise.

My car has recent battery change, however facing this issue even before battery was changed.

Car - Santro Xing, 2004 model, run 1.22 L kms.

Whenever I start the car, it dies (unless I revv the engine)

I don't know if I should get it checked, is it a serious issue ?

I don't want to visit service centers unless required (don't go to FNG, as don't have any friendly FNG)

So inputs will help on what should be done in such a case.
Old 17th February 2014, 15:09   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
...the ignition lamps went off as usual, the click was heard, and then the 2 to 4 seconds wait till the crank turns.
Solenoid contacts are burnt out / corroded. Change the starter solenoid switch.
Quote:
Also what would the indication be if the ignition coil is defective? I guess it should crank perfectly then, right? Thanks in advance!
Right. Will crank continuously but engine won't fire up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedup View Post
The telltale lights come on sometimes only if I open the door. So, I guess it may only be a loose wiring, maybe involving the central locking too.
Once the said lights are on, there is no other problem with the ignition.
Check for a loose main/ignition fuse in the fuse box or loose/corroded battery terminal.
Old 22nd February 2014, 15:47   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Need an advise.

Try System-G in the fuel lines. Is your fuel filter clean?
Old 22nd February 2014, 20:53   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Car - Santro Xing, 2004 model, run 1.22 L kms.
I don't know if I should get it checked, is it a serious issue ?
I don't want to visit service centers unless required (don't go to FNG, as don't have any friendly FNG)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Try System-G in the fuel lines. Is your fuel filter clean?
Sorry, missed your post earlier.

Try what joybhowmik recommended first. Other issues can include worn out spark plugs, choked air filter, choked MAF sensor, blocked suction filter net inside fuel tank with accumulated muck over the years, etc.

If you are looking for a decent FNG, I can recommend this guy. joybhowmik has used his services too, and I think he's happy with the experience.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 13:52   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, missed your post earlier.

Try what joybhowmik recommended first. Other issues can include worn out spark plugs, choked air filter, choked MAF sensor, blocked suction filter net inside fuel tank with accumulated muck over the years, etc.

If you are looking for a decent FNG, I can recommend this guy. joybhowmik has used his services too, and I think he's happy with the experience.
Thanks SST,

So it means that quite a bit of work to be done.

Will then get it done at the Hyundai Service Center which is at walking distance from my home. Thanks for sharing the details of Ayub as well.

I am wondering if I dont pay any heed to this issue, will it be bad in the long run ? Considering my car had a service in Dec (or Jan) and it was a complete service.

I want to avoid service centers/repairs as much as I can. Its only when its utmost necessary do I want to visit them. If its not a signal for long run, may be its ok, as I am ok to carry on with it.

Do suggest.
Old 25th February 2014, 16:18   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am wondering if I dont pay any heed to this issue, will it be bad in the long run ?
Good question!

If you are okay with the car not starting (or running) at all one fine morning (or in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere) I guess you can ignore the initial problem (which may be an indicator for bigger issues), and keep running the car as you always have.

But then a bit of System-G and an Italian tuneup never hurt any car. Try that to begin with!
Old 6th April 2014, 15:16   #150

Odd issue with my Maruti Esteem VXI BSII 2003

Hi all, tried searching for a similar situation on our forum but could not locate the same, hence writing in.

My Maruti Esteem VXI BSII 2003 (mpfi) has been running flawlessly and tirelessly since the day it arrived form the show room. We are absolute regulars at servicing, using the local Maruti dealership authorised workshops (indus motors, trivandrum).

A couple of months ago, our car would not start. It would just crank but would not fire. We called Maruti On The Road and they showed up, ran a few tests, and told us that the "Ignition Coil" was "Out Of Oil" and needed to be changed. The original was a Lucas Ignition Coil. They replaced the same, charged me Rs.1400/- for the replacement part and the car was back to normal again. Ran perfectly well.

This week, a new challenge has came up. When we started the car, it started up, but when we changed to 1st gear or reverse gear, the engine would splutter and stop. My wife noticed that without the engine turned on, but with the ignition on, when my she pressed the breaks, the headlamps would light up dim. Also the two arrows (indicating the turning indicators) would light up dim. We tried everything but still the engine would turn up and when changed to gear, splutter and switch off. Called MOS again, this time they said that the clutch had blown and had to be replaced. However after getting the car to their workshop, they came back saying that the clutch was ok and interestingly the car started running, and that there was probably a contact problem. The said that they opened and cleaned up all the contacts. When the car was returned, interestingly that dim headlamp situation and the engine splutter had disappeared. After a few days of driving, the scenario came back again.

I thought it was the alternator. They came back saying that the battery was charging when the car runs and they were not sure that the alternator is faulty. They said, however that they would change the alternator (costing Rs.4500/-) if we wanted them to.

I am completely confused about the situation. Has anyone noticed this problem and knows what may be the issue? The car is old but we love it and plan to keep it as a second car, that's why we are bent on fixing it up.

(one more thing, my wife said that the steering had started to squeak a bit while driving, so she unscrewed the flaps surrounding it and poured some singer machine oil into the steering assembly. Could this have something to do with it?)

Thanks in advance for the help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks