Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2016, 20:49   #421
BANNED

Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
A week ago it refused to start and the small yellow icon (showing a key with a car) was flashing on the dash.
Sir, is it this icon that you are referring to?

"My Car Won't Start" | What To Do-untitled.jpg

If yes, then it is related to the immobilizer system and if there is a malfunction then it should throw a DTC when the ECU is scanned.
Old 29th July 2016, 20:52   #422
BHPian

Hi a4Anurag,

Thanks for your reply.
Yes. That is the icon that is flashing.

What is a DTC??

As per the A.S.S. there are no errors showing at all.
They have even been in touch with Maruti and re-coded the keys and immobiliser system.

Regards,
SS
Old 29th July 2016, 21:38   #423
BANNED

Quote:
What is a DTC??
DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code. It is a way the ECU stores an error it encounters when one or more paramter is off the set limits in the process. The problem is stored in the ECU in the form of codes or DTC. Scanning the ECU, a code will appear that is used to understand what the actual problem is and why has the CEL lit up on the instrumentation console.

Quote:
As per the A.S.S. there are no errors showing at all. They have even been in touch with Maruti and re-coded the keys and immobiliser system.
I hope they used the SDT (Suzuki Diagnostic Tool).

I may be wrong but even after re-coding the keys and immobilizer system the icon is flashing which means post the re-coding process they might not have reset the ECU.

Can you disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and reconnect it. See if the light flashes again or no.
Old 29th July 2016, 23:45   #424
BHPian

Hi Anurag,

Thanks again for your inputs.

The re-coding was actually done during the first visit.
At the same time the battery was put on charge as it was a bit weak (not used for 2 weeks).
Then a new service battery was used for the testing and the original battery replaced after 24 hours charging.
The car started fine at the A.S.S. and was driven back home with no problem and with no icon flashing. After two days the issue cropped up again.

I will definitely tell them to disconnect the battery and re-connect after 10 minutes to see if it resolves the problem.
The battery is as old as the car - 6.5 years old but still going strong.
Will update you tomorrow.

Thanks once again.

Regards.
SS
Old 30th July 2016, 11:52   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The battery is as old as the car - 6.5 years old but still going strong.
May not be a bad idea to swap with a new battery for a few days and see if the problem recurs. Easier to get a new loaner battery than a loaner ECU.
Old 30th July 2016, 13:03   #426
BHPian

Hi SS-Traveller,

Thanks for the inputs. Have instructed Spectra to do as you suggested.
Have also asked them to open the cover of the ECU and check for mildew as the car was lying unused for a couple of weeks and when we went to start it the first time, there was mildew all over the seats etc.

Regards.
SS
Old 31st July 2016, 01:06   #427
BHPian

I have Palio Stile 1.6 sport 2007 and use it once in a fortnight. Replaced the battery with Exide 50 din 6 months back. I used to self start it once a week and let it idle and intermittantly rev till 3000 rpm, switch on AC for few minutes.
Last month once car was not starting. Mechanic tried with jump start but no luck. Then he saw insulation tape applied couple of places on plug wires. He diagnosed the problem as current leaking at plugwires. The plug wires replaced and car started.

Now few days back car was required when I was at office. My nephew tried to start but could not. Battery was niether fully charged nor fully down. He said the lights like number plate rear red and front small bulb remain on even after key turning off. Then at night I noticed that ignition switch is loose. When turned it was not clicking but smoothly turning without starter sound and at stop position lights as stated above remain on. However strangely at Mar position it switch off which should be opposite. Somehow I managed to switch off lights at stop position and removed key.

I feel the ignition switch is gone bad and needs to be changed. Starter was repaired more than a year back. what any other thing need to be changed? Can I install immobiliser though originally this model did not have it but strangely 1.1 model was having it?
Probably on sunday i.e. today mechanic may come and check.

Last edited by HydroFuel : 31st July 2016 at 01:10.
Old 1st August 2016, 00:11   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Hi SS-Traveller,

Thanks for the inputs. Have instructed Spectra to do as you suggested.
Have also asked them to open the cover of the ECU and check for mildew as the car was lying unused for a couple of weeks and when we went to start it the first time, there was mildew all over the seats etc.

Regards.
SS
Hi Anurag / SS-Traveller,
The latest update is that someone in Spectra came up with the idea to change the keys of the car. So they did this - full lock set changed - and got the set re-coded through Maruti. Lo and behold - the car started at the first attempt.
However, they are still wary about this "fix" and insist on keeping the car for another two to three days to check it out thoroughly.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 20:26   #429

Hi All,
I have a 7 month old Hyundai Xcent. I couldn't start it in the morning today while going to office. The battery was fine and I could hear the engine cranking but it wont turn on. So after trying few times, I gave up and called Trident on-road service. The guy came and tried cranking for 15-20 seconds with the accelerator pressed all the way down. After 3-4 tries the engine started and ran fine. The explanation given was the engine was probably flooded with excess fuel and the rich fuel-air ratio prevented the engine from starting. When the cranking was going on, I could smell petrol and there was also some discharge from the tailpipe. So, his explanation of engine flood was probably right.

I've owned and driven a Santro for over 10 years and never had such an issue. If it helps, I had washed the car just yesterday, I doubt any significant amount of water went into the engine bay. Not sure if that affects in any way.

What causes a flooded engine and how to prevent it?

Thanks,
Old 2nd August 2016, 08:34   #430
BHPian

Hello BHPians

Off late I have been experiencing strange behavior when I try to start the engine on my Punto Diesel. Sometimes, it starts right away. But sometimes I need to hold the key on the "ignite" position for a certain amount of time before the engine starts. This cranking time can be anywhere between 5 to 10 seconds, and after that I usually turn the key to OFF and repeat the process to try my luck again. There are some really annoying and embarrassing times when I need to turn the key a few times before the car starts. I tried to find some kind of pattern as to when this problem occurs and when it does not, but so far, without any success. It seems to be totally random. After the car starts, the car runs normally. Has anybody experienced similar issues in the past?
  1. Could this be issue with the Starter motor?
  2. Faulty fuel pressure sensor
  3. Crank sensor gone kaput?
Much appreciate your time
Cheers
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:32   #431
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
But sometimes I need to hold the key on the "ignite" position for a certain amount of time before the engine starts. This cranking time can be anywhere between 5 to 10 seconds, and after that I usually turn the key to OFF and repeat the process to try my luck again.
Glow plugs may be weak. Any warning on instrumentation console?

How is the battery?
Old 2nd August 2016, 12:34   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Glow plugs may be weak. Any warning on instrumentation console?

How is the battery?
Glow plug is relatively new. It replaced in Dec 2015. Battery is almost a year old.
Old 12th August 2016, 14:23   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Anurag / SS-Traveller,
The latest update is that someone in Spectra came up with the idea to change the keys of the car. So they did this - full lock set changed - and got the set re-coded through Maruti. Lo and behold - the car started at the first attempt.
However, they are still wary about this "fix" and insist on keeping the car for another two to three days to check it out thoroughly.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Regards,
SS
Hi Guys,
The final episode...

The key set mentioned above had been taken from a manager's SX4 and had to be returned.
Spectra guys decided that the "antenna" in the ignition/immobiliser system is the part that failed. To save on costs (Full key set is Rs. 4500 as opposed to Rs. 1200 for the antenna unit) Spectra decided to order the antenna unit from Maruti. It was not available and a "back order" was placed. Finally an "antenna" was sourced in Nagpur and shipped to Bombay. All this sadly took 10 days - to dispatch/arrive and be fitted. Disappointed with the time taken to resolve this issue.
Anyway, I collected the car yesterday - after 13 days in their garage - and it's working fine so far!!
Was also very upset to see that the insides of the car were filthy with fingerprints etc and I insisted it be cleaned before I took delivery. Did not expect this from Spectra. A/C belt was also squeaking and wipers and washer not working. All this after they supposedly did a "road test" and all which were working fine when the car was given to them. Anyway, at least it's back up and running.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 22:58   #434
BHPian

Hi A4anurag / Guys,

This is the part on the SX4 which failed. The plastic ring is the section which gets illuminated when you put the ignition key in.
Just for your general information.

The keys have been re-coded 4 times during this whole episode.

Remember, there was no error code at all coming up on the "Suzuki" diagnostic tool.

As of now, the car is running fine.

Regards,
SS
Attached Thumbnails
"My Car Won't Start" | What To Do-20160813_180107.jpg  

"My Car Won't Start" | What To Do-20160813_180114.jpg  

Old 19th August 2016, 12:47   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi A4anurag / Guys,

This is the part on the SX4 which failed. The plastic ring is the section which gets illuminated when you put the ignition key in.
SS
Is the plastic ring available seperately as a MGP/SGP part? I'm trying to assess whether the illuminated key ring can be fitted on a WagonR. It's very helpful at night to slot the key correctly. If the power supply to the ring is from the black unit below, it might not be technically feasible.

Last edited by longhorn : 19th August 2016 at 12:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks