Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2018, 22:40   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
First of all, thanks a lot for the ideas given.
For the time being, we have disconnected the negative terminal of the battery. Also sourced a working alternator from the same scrapped amby from whom we sourced parts yesterday. Since the exhaust manifold was hot, we'll be doing the swap tomorrow.
Any further news?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 10:20   #572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Any further news?

Regards
Sutripta
Yes

It wasn't the alternator. I think its some sensor which is playing the spoilsport here.

Its a current related issue. Current isn't coming regularly to the plugs. We have swapped these things from a known good car, without any success:

1. ECM
2. Engine and Cabin wiring harness
3. Distributor(sealed) and HT cables
4. Igniter
5. Throttle body and IAC valve (its a weird one)
6. Alternator

My mechanic is suspecting the CKP (Crankshaft position) sensor, but the issue is, they are not well informed about ambassadors as they have worked all their life at MASS. One mechanic who deals only with Amby's told us about a sensor near the gearbox, but for that the entire GB needs to be lowered.

Regards
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 23:46   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Any further news?

Regards
Sutripta
The amby is now working properly. There was some kind of timing sensor which had gone kaput. The mechanic swapped it with the other car, and its now working fine.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 10:53   #574
BHPian

Hello,
My linea refused to start just after a 25 km drive. It behaved as if the battery is dead, and the starter cranked very slowly. Just left the car overnight and everything worked normally. It started normally.
Everything looks good for about 15 days and then today morning the Same thing is repeated, I went to drop my kid to school (a good 25 km drive), stopped the car at the gate and it refused to start again. I took help from some people and push started. Drove a few kms and then checked, all looks normal.
Am I looking at a battery replacement or the problem is something else. The battery is about 3 years old Exide.
car-dent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 12:08   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
Hello,
My linea refused to start just after a 25 km drive. It behaved as if the battery is dead, and the starter cranked very slowly. Just left the car overnight and everything worked normally. It started normally.
Everything looks good for about 15 days and then today morning the Same thing is repeated, I went to drop my kid to school (a good 25 km drive), stopped the car at the gate and it refused to start again. I took help from some people and push started. Drove a few kms and then checked, all looks normal.
Am I looking at a battery replacement or the problem is something else. The battery is about 3 years old Exide.
I suggest first thing is to get the battery checked. If the battery checks out ok, it might be time to look at the starter.

As they get older, they sometimes get a bit cranky (pardon the pun). Especially when warm, i.e. after a drive with the engine compartment still hot. Short stops sometimes make it worse. Lot of heat in the engine compartment, no drive wind, so heat soaks into the starter. That causes the resistance of the starter to increase and that might be the problem. As starter age, this behaviour can become more pronounced.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 12:32   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,
I had similar problem, and traced it to loose cable to terminal joint. To check try moving the terminal by hands and also pull the cable. If either are loose tighten them.
Old 15th May 2018, 16:44   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I had similar problem, and traced it to loose cable to terminal joint. To check try moving the terminal by hands and also pull the cable. If either are loose tighten them.
Or your battery case might have a slight leak and when hot the acidic water might boil out and deposit itself on the battery terminals, causing corrosion. And then your car doesn’t start.
Old 17th May 2018, 14:14   #578
BHPian

I cleaned the battery terminals. Seems to be fine as of now. Will see for few days if the problem recurs.
Old 17th May 2018, 14:20   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I cleaned the battery terminals. Seems to be fine as of now. Will see for few days if the problem recurs.
If that is the case - acid causing terminal corrosion - you had better replace the battery ASAP. If there is a mild acid leak you will get the same thing recurring pretty soon.

The first time I stalled in traffic with a bus behind me and luckily could restart. The second time I had stopped for a tea on the highway and couldn’t start my car again, had to wait for a guy with a jumper cable.
Old 17th May 2018, 14:22   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If that is the case - acid causing terminal corrosion - you had better replace the battery ASAP. If there is a mild acid leak you will get the same thing recurring pretty soon.

The first time I stalled in traffic with a bus behind me and luckily could restart. The second time I had stopped for a tea on the highway and couldn’t start my car again, had to wait for a guy with a jumper cable.
Yes planning to do that. Also, the car takes a little longer to start these days, so i guess the battery is about to die. The battery is anyways under pro rata warranty so i should be getting 40% discount ton new battery.
Old 18th May 2018, 18:22   #581
BHPian

Another Update: The problem got repeated. Luckily, I could start the car with a long weak crank to bring it back home. Got the battery Checked by calling Exide BatMobile service. He recommended battery replacement.
Got the battery changed under prorata warranty, so got 40% discount on MRP of new battery.
Hopefully, all will work well now.
Old 28th June 2018, 12:09   #582
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse

The rains are proving quite a headache for the Nissan Sunny. It's 6 years old and this rains are giving a bit of trouble.

The cars displays lights up and the car won't start. Funny thing is the fan starts automatically and the headlights come on... The car engine cranks up but doesn't start.

Spoke to a service technician at Ritu Nissan service centre and he says it is a fault with the wiring and fuse box and scanning and rewiring the same will cost more than 20k. Also it won't be covered with insurance.

Local mechanic is clueless. Any ideas ?
Attached Thumbnails
"My Car Won't Start" | What To Do-img_20180628_105431.jpg  

Last edited by mentalmaxout : 28th June 2018 at 12:12.
Old 28th June 2018, 17:55   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmaxout View Post
The rains are proving quite a headache for the Nissan Sunny. It's 6 years old and this rains are giving a bit of trouble.

The cars displays lights up and the car won't start. Funny thing is the fan starts automatically and the headlights come on... The car engine cranks up but doesn't start.

Local mechanic is clueless. Any ideas ?
Have you checked the battery? When was it last changed?

If the battery isn't the suspect, I'd say get a second opinion from a trusted independent mechanic.
Old 28th June 2018, 18:20   #584
BHPian

Battery is fine... Got that checked... The issue seems to be something else .
Old 28th June 2018, 19:49   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmaxout View Post
Battery is fine... Got that checked... The issue seems to be something else .
A couple of years ago my Civic's wires were chewed away by rats. The main engine wires were attacked and Honda said the entire wiring harness would need to be changed for min 20 to 25k. My mechanic Devabhai from chembur (refer team-bhp dir) got the car rewired for 8k by repairing the existing harness and touchwood it has been working fine. Suggest you get it to a competent mechanic instead of the authorised service center.

Most Viewed