R4 Main beam relay
R5 Air-conditioning relay
R6 Blower relay
R7 Starter relay
R8 Radiator fan relay
Old 9th January 2020, 10:51   #662
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

My tucson threw a shock today. While i stopped at my office parking gate, it completely shutdown, and cranked but did not start. After a few minutes, I managed to get it started, but it happened again as I descended into the parking and was turning. The shock was the steering becoming absolutely rock hard since the hydraulics also went. A few more cranks, and no response, but again after a few minutes it started. It had just gone into reserve a few minutes before this happened. However, it has run on reserve before, and this has never happened before.
Some internet wisdom seems to indicate that there may be a vacuum somewhere. Or maybe clogged injectors. I had run the car with Diesel purge a few weeks ago, and have driven maybe 200 kms after that.
Old 11th January 2020, 08:56   #663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
My tucson threw a shock today. While i stopped at my office parking gate, it completely shutdown, and cranked but did not start. After a few minutes, I managed to get it started, but it happened again as I descended into the parking and was turning. The shock was the steering becoming absolutely rock hard since the hydraulics also went. A few more cranks, and no response, but again after a few minutes it started. It had just gone into reserve a few minutes before this happened. However, it has run on reserve before, and this has never happened before.
Some internet wisdom seems to indicate that there may be a vacuum somewhere. Or maybe clogged injectors. I had run the car with Diesel purge a few weeks ago, and have driven maybe 200 kms after that.
Seems to be a fuel pump relay issue. I know it's not a popular car here, but can someone guide me as to where the relay sits in a Tucson, old one? Or if it is even a separate one?
Old 17th January 2020, 20:45   #664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seems to be a fuel pump relay issue. I know it's not a popular car here, but can someone guide me as to where the relay sits in a Tucson, old one? Or if it is even a separate one?
Didn't get any responses, but just recording the fix in case it helps.
Checked the fuel pump relay, and it seems warm. Interchanged it with the horn relay. All seems to be holding well for now. Will know more when I take the girl for a longer drive.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:27   #665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't get any responses, but just recording the fix in case it helps.
Checked the fuel pump relay, and it seems warm. Interchanged it with the horn relay. All seems to be holding well for now. Will know more when I take the girl for a longer drive.
So after 6 days, of which the car was run only for the last three, the issue resurfaced. The relay is not failing, but more like going into a failsafe(or intermittent failure) mode. This points to something further down the line, its a symptom rather than the cause. It started again after 4 minutes. Apart from being a nuisance, its a danger , because the car cuts out at the most inopportune of places. On an incline, inside a single lane underpass, at a joining lane to the highway. Essentially anywhere where there is most possibility of backing up a 100 cars, or of driving into a wall. I have asked for the mechanic to take it away and find out whats wrong.
Old 27th February 2020, 23:18   #666
Senior - BHPian

My 2004 model Baleno has a minor starting trouble. As I turn the key, a click sound comes, but no cranking or starting. Have to do it multiple times and the engine starts. And this happens "Only" after the car is run for a distance (say few hours). No issues at all when cold start. Battery is surely good. Suspecting the starter motor. Just checking if anyone else would re-affirm my doubt.

And how complicated or risky job is it to have the mechanic open up the starter and fix the issue. Since the car is old, I am a little skeptic on doing any kind of critical work on the car.
Old 16th March 2020, 14:33   #667
BHPian

My 2015 VW Polo gets stuck between Ignition and Start. Today it will just not start. It always leave it in ignition, wait for few seconds and then crank it. But now it just would not turn. Like something is stuck. Anyone faced similar issue & can provide any pointers?
Old 29th March 2020, 11:41   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Suspecting the starter motor. Just checking if anyone else would re-affirm my doubt.

And how complicated or risky job is it to have the mechanic open up the starter and fix the issue. Since the car is old, I am a little skeptic on doing any kind of critical work on the car.
Updating on this - Got the starter motor serviced few weeks back and the issue looks to be resolved. Yet to confirm it by doing several long runs, but I have a hunch that it is fixed. Servicing the starter included replacing the bush, brushes and yoke. It was worth doing it anyways I believe.
Old 29th March 2020, 12:20   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
My 2004 model Baleno has a minor starting trouble. As I turn the key, a click sound comes, but no cranking or starting. Have to do it multiple times and the engine starts. And this happens "Only" after the car is run for a distance (say few hours). No issues at all when cold start. Battery is surely good. Suspecting the starter motor. Just checking if anyone else would re-affirm my doubt.

Started motor conking off for sure! My 2005 Santro Xing had the exact same symptoms, which resolved with a starter motor service.

If you're planning to keep the car for a long time, please replace the motor. The serviced starter motor will not last too long. The new owner of my Xing had the same issues 2-3 years afterwards.
Old 25th May 2020, 20:22   #670
BHPian

Engine Cranks but no start.

Hi Team,

I have an Audi A6 C6 '08 3.0 litre TDI Quattro which has been lying in the backyard unattended or never started for the past two years. Recently we thought of starting the car. As part of this, the high-pressure pump & injectors were professionally cleaned & fixed. Now while cranking, getting around 24-25 bar pressure in the high-pressure pump, but injectors are not opening, or fuel is not flowing to the cylinders. There are no fault codes while scanning. The battery is also new.

The lift pump is also in perfect condition, the fuel is reaching injectors, but injectors are not opening up to cylinder for fuel.
We even switched the ECM from a similar configuration running car, reprogrammed the immobilizer and still no luck

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You

Last edited by AshiqueS : 25th May 2020 at 20:24. Reason: Missed to include a point.
Old 25th May 2020, 21:36   #671
BHPian

Re: Engine Cranks but no start.

Hi Team,

Does anyone know what's the expected pressure to deliver fuel from the high-pressure pump to the rail/injectors at cranking for this Audi A6 C6 3.0 Litre V6 TDI engine? Also is it possible to identify any issues in the wiring between the ECM and the injectors?

Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 20:48   #672
BHPian

Hello All,

Finally, we were able to start the car, after replacing the rail pressure regulator and rail pressure sensor and its now all good.

Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 13:47   #673
BHPian

Car starts, but with mifiring cylinder

Hi all,

I am having an engine misfire after the car is left unused for 2 weeks. The battery is fine and the engine starts but shuts off If accelerator is not pressed. This is resolved once engine is warmed up. But I can distinctly hear a misfire (tap-tap noise). The car was regularly used till lock down with no issues. During lock down, car is started once in a week and left in idle for 15 minutes till engine warms up. Had repeated this process for 3 weeks but on 4th week, this engine misfire issue crops up.

The misfire issue first came up soon after the last service, some 6 months back - The car was very low on fuel when I took delivery and promptly filled it up at our regular pump and engine started misfiring. The service guys took car back and returned it saying that "Water vapor" had entered spark plugs during washing and that was the reason communicated to me.

What could be the reasons for the misfire? During last service spark plugs were replaced. There are no rat bites or something similar seen in engine bay. Fuel is adequate and battery is also healthy. What else can I check to identify the root cause? I am planning to send it to service station soon. Also, would it be ok/safe to drive the car to service station in this condition?

The vehicle is a 1.4 lac km run petrol i20 (1.2 kappa).
Old 3rd June 2020, 01:35   #674
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car starts, but with mifiring cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-S View Post
This is resolved once engine is warmed up. But I can distinctly hear a misfire (tap-tap noise).
The vehicle is a 1.4 lac km run petrol i20 (1.2 kappa).
Sounds like a blocked injector.

Try adding an injector cleaner like System-G, and give the car a quick Italian tune-up when you get the opportunity. Should save you the trouble (and shock) of going to an authorised service centre.
Old 3rd June 2020, 07:39   #675
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Started motor conking off for sure! My 2005 Santro Xing had the exact same symptoms, which resolved with a starter motor service.

If you're planning to keep the car for a long time, please replace the motor. The serviced starter motor will not last too long. The new owner of my Xing had the same issues 2-3 years afterwards.
Starter Motor Solenoid Switch.
Usually this is the nasty little beast which goes haywire.
Happened to me on my Gypsy around August of last year.
Got it attended to - simple and small job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks