Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2020, 16:17   #706
BHPian

Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
My car is Zest Petrol. I'm the first and only owner so far.
Car doesn't have idle stop/start system. I do not switch off car at traffic lights.
In my book, that’s premature failure of the starter! I hope you asked for a discount/goodwill warranty, as a critical part like the starter motor failing before the 5yr/50,000kms mark is unacceptable. For any manufacturer.

While they are at it, ask them to check the wiring which goes to the starter too (if it was chewed/damaged by rats, etc).

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 25th October 2020 at 16:20.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 14:27   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Yesterday, I drove to a fuel pump to fill up my tank. Switched off the engine while filling her up. Car refused to start after that.....
Switched off car again after sometime (could not avoid). Yet again car did not start/crank after that. Found that the fuse (20 Amp) for Starter Solenoid was blown off. Replaced with spare fuse (twice) & tried cranking again and both times the fuse blew off. Again push started the car with help of strangers and drove to service center without switching-off the engine en-route. The service center identified the problem as faulty Starter Motor (Part cost Rs.7000 approx).
Got the car back from service center on Friday. It took 6 days for part to arrive. Problem was starter solenoid gone bad. But they don't sell solenoid alone. Had to get entire starter motor kit changed. Got a few extra spare fuses as well.
Total cost Rs.6470 after some discounts on part & labour.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 15:19   #708

Same, exact thing happened with my Honda Civic. Car would make the same sound and not start. Leaving it for 30 minutes would solve the problem and it would run smoothly.

Sent to Honda. They diagnosed it as a manufacturing defect in the Fuel Pump. Changed under warranty for free. Had the car back in 3 days. This is known issue from my understanding now. It is bound to repeat on your car since I faced 3 instances over a month. All random but always happened when I tried to start the car within 5-10 minutes of turning it off.

The SA said, the faulty fuel pump heats up and hence does not work as intended. Once you let it cool, it starts working again. Hence, they changed it under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpirocks View Post
I have incorrected uploaded the video without sound. Here's the correct one

https://Youtu.be/x0z7MdHbHDs

MODS - I am not able to edit my original post, therefore updating the link in reply.
Old 14th December 2020, 18:49   #709
BANNED

There are a lot of reasons why your car won’t start, but some are more common than others. Below are five common reasons why your car won’t start:

1. Dead battery- A dead battery is the most common reason why your car won’t start. The battery is what the car uses to provide electrical power to the entire car and electrical components (e.g. lights, radio, etc.). While the vehicle is running, the alternator charges the battery. If the battery is not charged sufficiently, you will not be able to start the car or use any electrical components.

Defective ignition switch- If you know your battery is working properly, but your car doesn’t turn over on the first few tries, you might have a problem with the ignition switch. You can try to narrow down the cause of your issue by turning on your headlights. This is because your car's battery controls your headlights and dashboard, and if it's the case that they turn on your engine isn't able to start start, then a bad ignition switch is the likely culprit.

3. Faulty starter- A broken starter is another common reason your car won’t start. A starter is an electrical motor that is connected to the battery. It's role is to set the engine (i.e. pistons, crankshaft, etc.) in motion when you turn the ignition switch on. Once the engine starts and is in motion, the starter's job is complete. If the starter goes bad, the engine will not crank properly or may not crank at all when you turn the ignition key on. If you hear a clicking noise when you try to start your vehicle, a broken or weakened starter could be the reason why your car isn't starting.

4. Clogged fuel filter- If your fuel filter is clogged, the gasoline won’t be able to reach the engine. This makes it difficult for your car to burn the fuel it needs to get going. Fuel filters should be changed every 15,000 to 20,000 kilometres, so consider swapping fuel filters next time you get your car serviced.

5. Empty fuel tank- When driving around all the time, it's sometimes easy to forget that your fuel tank needs to be refilled. The solution here is simple get more fuel.
ButterRider 7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 10:27   #710
BHPian

SoS - Mahindra TUV 300

Hi,

I am right now at a village near Tikri border in Delhi. I brought my TUV here, which drove perfectly. But now won't start - it starts but gets off immediately with violent jerks. This happened once earlier as well and ECM had to be reset to make it work.

I called Mahindra humesha who gave me number of a service center. I called them but they are asking me to tow the car to service center. I am at a birding wetland, very far away from any help.

Any help suggested?

Thanks

Nitin
ntomer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 10:30   #711
BANNED

Re: SoS - Mahindra TUV 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
I brought my TUV here, which drove perfectly. But now won't start - it starts but gets off immediately with violent jerks. This happened once earlier as well and ECM had to be reset to make it work.
Disconnect the battery and reconnect it after 10-15 minutes. See if that helps.

Are there any warning lights on the instrument console?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 10:34   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Disconnect the battery and reconnect it after 10-15 minutes. See if that helps.

Are there any warning lights on the instrument console?
No warning lights on the panel.
Old 19th December 2020, 12:04   #713
BANNED

Quote:
No warning lights on the panel.
When was the car last serviced?

Did you fill up anywhere in any small fuel station? Could be fuel issue or related to it if it is not electrical.

Did you try disconnecting the battery?
Old 19th December 2020, 12:09   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are able to crawl underneath the vehicle, please inspect the fuel lines from tank to the filter inside the engine bay, if there are any local mechanic shops around please ask them to remove the fuel filter and see if something is clogged. Also check if the air intake is clear.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 12:17   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
When was the car last serviced?

Did you fill up anywhere in any small fuel station? Could be fuel issue or related to it if it is not electrical.

Did you try disconnecting the battery?
Car was serviced some 4000kms ago and has been running perfectly.

This has happened earlier as well, then ECM was reset and it worked perfectly.

I tried disconnecting the battey but now battery seems to have got discharged.
Old 20th December 2020, 19:24   #716
S2K
BHPian

I have a query fellow bhpians might be able to help.
I have a Ford Freestyle Petrol(BS6) and the engine takes long to startup when I do a cold start. About 3-4 seconds of cranking. Happens only when doing a cold start.
Otherwise takes the general 1 second cranking to fire up.
Recently, I had the car parked under direct sun for a few hours around noon. When I started the engine, cranked for almost 7-8 seconds and didn't fire. Subsequent button push lead to a few more seconds of cranking and then the engine fired up normally. Did a stop around 10mins later and fired up engine after 5mins of gap and it fired up normally with the normal cranking.
However, in neither of these instances have I felt power loss or any issues with power delivery during the drive.
Also battery seems fine with no issues with the headlights, horns or ICE.
And this has happened at varying fuel levels ranging from 25% to 90% fuel.

Can fellow members advise me on what the issue could be, if at all it is an issue, and how should it be best resolved considering the car is still very much under warranty?
S2K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 05:57   #717
BHPian

Quote:
This has happened earlier as well, then ECM was reset and it worked perfectly.

I tried disconnecting the battey but now battery seems to have got discharged.
Sounds to me like the dealer needs to replace your ECM under warranty as your current one is malfunctioning randomly (if it is indeed the ECM & not something else).

Your battery discharged after you momentarily disconnected it? What.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K View Post
I have a Ford Freestyle Petrol(BS6) and the engine takes long to startup when I do a cold start. About 3-4 seconds of cranking. Happens only when doing a cold start.
That’s a classic symptom of a lack of sufficient fuel delivery. A cold engine requires an additional amount fuel to start up as compared to an already warmed up engine.

On an older car, I’d tell you to clean/replace your fuel filter, pressure test your fuel pump & clean your fuel injectors. However, since your car is brand new, take it in to the dealer & let them fix it. Also scan for any trouble codes.

Don’t let them convince you that this behaviour is normal (because it isn’t), make a video on the longer cranking needed on a cold start vs a warm start, and use it as your evidence. Over time, it can prematurely wear out your starter & battery.

Hopefully it’s just a clogged fuel filter & not something worse like your pump, injectors or ECU.

This car is still under warranty. Make them fix it.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 21st December 2020 at 06:04.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:57   #718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a query fellow bhpians might be able to help.
Recently, I had the car parked under direct sun for a few hours around noon. When I started the engine, cranked for almost 7-8 seconds and didn't fire. Subsequent button push lead to a few more seconds of cranking and then the engine fired up normally. Did a stop around 10mins later and fired up engine after 5mins of gap and it fired up normally with the normal cranking.?
Appears like a very common problem with fuel injected petrol engines. Here is what happens. When you turn off your engine the fuel system, or rather the fuel feed line is supposed to stay pressurised. To this purpose a little check valve is build in. Over time these start leaking a tiny bit. So immediatelmafter shutting down it retains thencorrect amount of pressure, but over the cause of several hours it loses pressure.

When you start the engine from cold the system has insufficient pressure and needs a bit of cranking to build up pressure.

You can check this in two different ways. In the morning with the engine still cold turn the ignition on, but don’t start. On many cars you can hear the fuel pump kick in and run for a few seconds. Even if you don’t hear anything wait about 5 seconds before firing up the engine. If your engine fires up immediately after this it is sure proof the fuel check valve is not working properly!

The other method is, to loosen the fuel delivery line, prior to starting and see if any fuel spills out. Even when pressurised it will only be a tiny bit. Some engendering have a special valve somewhere on the fuel line you could use to this effect. A so called Schrader valve. Very convenient.

Try the ignition thing. So when the engine is cold, switch ignition on, but don’t start (so all lights on your dash lit up) wait for five seconds with the key in this position, then start. See if that helps.

Let us know, good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:35   #719
S2K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Try the ignition thing. So when the engine is cold, switch ignition on, but don’t start (so all lights on your dash lit up) wait for five seconds with the key in this position, then start. See if that helps.

Let us know, good luck

Jeroen
Have already tried the ignition approach. Have even tried waiting for as much as a minute and two. Have tried turning the car on and off multiple times without ignition and then crank it, and a few more things around it too. The behaviour does not change.
And no matter for how short duration I run the engine before stopping it, if I restart again, it does so immediately.
And I wasn't worried about a few seconds of cranking but the recent behaviour of taking almost 7-8 seconds of multiple cranks to start (mentioned in the original question) has gotten me more worried.

Anyway, thanks for you advise. Just gonna make me more confident when talking to service advisor.
S2K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 13:11   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have already tried the ignition approach. Have even tried waiting for as much as a minute and two. Have tried turning the car on and off multiple times without ignition and then crank it, and a few more things around it too. The behaviour does not change.
It won’t show up when the engine is still warm. You really need to leave it overnight to try this method. It can take hours before that fuel pressure “leaks” away.

Good luck,

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks