Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 12:56   #766
S2K
BHPian

Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by SibiGeorge View Post
Had driven the car yesterday for around 280 kms, to hill ranges in cold climate. (to Idukki district & ilaveezhapoonchira). No issues popped up yesterday. My car was parked in the sun last few times it had the starting trouble. I doubt if the heat is causing the problems.

"If car was sitting idle for long time there is a likelihood that petrol has 'cracked' and has resulted in clogging of the line / injector. "
I generally keep the petrol tank fueled up to the brim. I also, use this car once in a week generally, mostly for 50 km+ rides. Hence, the fuel is getting changed quite often. So, if it was the petrol cracking, the issue would have gone in during the last few times that I refueled. Don't think opening up fuel line is DIY. Will ask my mechanic to check the same.

I will also ask my mechanic to check for any leaks (for vapor lock). No fuel smell is present before starting the car.
I faced very similar behaviour with my Ford Freestyle Petrol. It was because of faulty fuel injectors. Even in my case, SC guys checked everything else before and when everything was ruled out, they checked the injectors.
There might be issue with injector in just one cylinder or multiple.
After getting it replaced, I haven't faced this issue.
S2K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 11:46   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I have 3 year old petrol Jetta which starts with half a crank when started for the first time during a day. After driving for a while (could be 5 km or 50), if I park it for a while and come back, it simply cranks and doesn't start unless I press the accelerator halfway. Otherwise it sometimes turns on and immediately dies. However once I press the accelerator while cranking, it starts fine and has no other issues. An interesting thing is that if I turn it off briefly like stalling or turning it off at a traffic light then it starts back instantly without needing the accelerator to be pressed. It is only after it has been left for say 30 plus minutes that it is hard to start.

Do I need to worry?
I am facing exact same issue with my petrol Swift. Car starts fine in the morning and only if I start it after a gap of an hour or so it cranks but doesn't start. But when I press the accelerator while cranking, it starts. Car was sitting idle for two months or so due to lockdown with only a 5 minutes idling every 15 days or so. I got the engine oil and coolant replaced the day lockdown was lifted and could notice the problem there after.

What was the resolution in your case?
Thanks.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 14:51   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I am facing exact same issue with my petrol Swift. Car starts fine in the morning and only if I start it after a gap of an hour or so it cranks but doesn't start. But when I press the accelerator while cranking, it starts. Car was sitting idle for two months or so due to lockdown with only a 5 minutes idling every 15 days or so. I got the engine oil and coolant replaced the day lockdown was lifted and could notice the problem there after.

What was the resolution in your case?
Thanks.
No resolution was found. I sold that car a while back, around 2015. I just lived with the problem.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 16:42   #769
BHPian

The head gasket in my Civic was blown. I ordered the parts from boodmo and it took more than 20 days for parts to arrive. The battery went dead by then and I couldn’t find the jumper cables I had bought couple of years ago. So I tried the good old method of connecting the battery terminals with a spare battery’s terminal by placing the spare battery upside down. I took help from my servant who was holding the battery while I cranked the engine. The car started in the first go. Post which I instructed him to remove the battery. The moment he disconnected the battery the car died. And it never started after that. The moment I try to connect the battery it would create sparks. I finally bought a new pair of jumper cables and tried jump starting but no luck. The moment I connect the jumper cables it would throw spark and if I hold the cables for few seconds it starts throwing smoke and the battery terminals start melting. Any idea what could be the issue here? I looked at the fuse and it seems to be okay.
Old 27th July 2021, 17:21   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
So I tried the good old method of connecting the battery terminals with a spare battery’s terminal by placing the spare battery upside down. I took help from my servant who was holding the battery while I cranked the engine. The car started in the first go. Post which I instructed him to remove the battery. The moment he disconnected the battery the car died. And it never started after that. The moment I try to connect the battery it would create sparks.
In what order did you attach the battery cables? (+ve and ground cables). Was the ground cable touching anything else when you connected the +ve cable?
Old 27th July 2021, 17:29   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
In what order did you attach the battery cables? (+ve and ground cables). Was the ground cable touching anything else when you connected the +ve cable?
Hey hserus,

The ground was connected to the -ve terminal of the other battery, it wasn’t connected to anything else.
Old 27th July 2021, 18:11   #772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey hserus,

The ground was connected to the -ve terminal of the other battery, it wasn’t connected to anything else.
Since you have a spare battery, why don't you try replacing the car battery with the other good battery you have. I understand it may not fit exactly into the car's battery bay/ bonnet but should be good just for testing purpose?
Old 27th July 2021, 18:41   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey hserus,

In what order did you connect the terminals?
Old 27th July 2021, 18:56   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Since you have a spare battery, why don't you try replacing the car battery with the other good battery you have. I understand it may not fit exactly into the car's battery bay/ bonnet but should be good just for testing purpose?
Hey Saket!

It’s same. The moment you connect the terminals it starts sparking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
In what order did you connect the terminals?
Whichever way I connect the terminals it’s same result.
Old 27th July 2021, 19:09   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Saket!

It’s same. The moment you connect the terminals it starts sparking.

Whichever way I connect the terminals it’s same result.
You connected them in the wrong order and it’s fried your battery. And/or also various fuses, alternator etc etc.

Please don’t try electrical stuff without knowing electrical work, risky for your car if not yourself.

When disconnecting the cables from the old battery, disconnect the negative first, then the positive. Connect the new battery in the reverse order, positive then negative. Make 100% sure both terminals aren’t touching something metallic at the same time.

Last edited by hserus : 27th July 2021 at 19:10.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:50   #776

Hello , I have a similar problem. Details below -
My Hyundai verna 2009 sx vtvt 1.6 model (petrol) is having a strange issue. The immobilizer light in the dashboard works fine when starting, then vehicle runs for 4-5 mins and shuts down. After that immobilizer light doesnt work and vehicle doesnt start upon ignition. If I try after 4-5 hours, it again works but only for 4-5 minutes. Is this a problem with the ECU or the immobilizer or something different? Pics attached
Attached Thumbnails
"My Car Won't Start" | What To Do-non-working-car-pic.jpg  

"My Car Won't Start" | What To Do-working-car-pic.jpg  

Old 13th September 2021, 08:53   #777
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have a wierd problem in my Polo 1.6.

The symptoms are below
  • When I Turn on the ignition with key, all normal noises can be heard but the lights on the instrument cluster do not come up.
  • The car is able to crank properly, but then dies our after a few cycles.
  • The car is able start the head lights, music system and other accessories normally.
  • FYI. The battery is 2 months old (new amaron) which was replaced when I was facing a wierd issue which is documented in the thread below.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...s-vw-polo.html (Help in diagnosis - Weird electrical issues with a VW Polo)

Anyone here faced the same issue??

What could be the possible diagnosis??
Old 14th September 2021, 08:03   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Guys, I have a wierd problem in my Polo 1.6.

The symptoms are below
  • When I Turn on the ignition with key, all normal noises can be heard but the lights on the instrument cluster do not come up.
  • The car is able to crank properly, but then dies our after a few cycles.
  • The car is able start the head lights, music system and other accessories normally.
  • FYI. The battery is 2 months old (new amaron) which was replaced when I was facing a wierd issue which is documented in the thread below.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...s-vw-polo.html (Help in diagnosis - Weird electrical issues with a VW Polo)

Anyone here faced the same issue??

What could be the possible diagnosis??
I suspect that the electrical issue that you originally had hasn't been fixed. You did mention that you had a blown fuse. However, the reason for that fuse to blow needs to be identified and fixed. It appears that there is an electrical leak / short that's causing this. I would recommend having the entire electrical system checked thoroughly.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 09:28   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I suspect that the electrical issue that you originally had hasn't been fixed. You did mention that you had a blown fuse. However, the reason for that fuse to blow needs to be identified and fixed. It appears that there is an electrical leak / short that's causing this. I would recommend having the entire electrical system checked thoroughly.
I had a thorough check-up done by a qualified electrician. He found the fuse issue but the car was running fine since I changed the battery.

I started the car yesterday evening and it ran fine!!

But I like my cars to be extremely reliable, I am gonna change all the fuses in the next month. Lets hope for the best.
Old 2nd March 2022, 09:52   #780
BHPian

Fiat Punto MJD is not cranking at all

A friend of mine from Pune has Fiat Punto Diesel 8.5 year old with 60k run. Below is the issue he is facing -

"Couple of days back I started the car early morning and drove for around 7-8 kms and stopped for some time.
When I tried to start the car post the break the car wont crank at all and was showing the battery warning light.
Had observed few times during winter before this incident the car wont start immediately but had to try couple of times and then start but thought the weather was the reason. Though never had any issues while the car was running.

Since there was no one to jump start the car tried to push with some help and then start and after pushing few feet when tried to turn the ignition key the car started.
There were no warning lights showing when the car was running. Had to stop at one more place and faced the same issue again. This time after just pushing for a few feet the car again started when the ignition key was turned.

On the way back home went to a battery shop on the road and when he checked the battery voltage with the car running it was showing around 12.5 volts and was told to get the battery charged offline and that should solve the problem.

Came back home and when tried to start the car in the evening it would not start. Tried next morning to start and it started immediately in the first attempt. However had called an ex-fiat technician to check. When he came the car did not start again and was now showing the Fuel injection and the battery warning lights.

He did not run any diagnostics but said there is an alternator problem which can be repaired (not replaced) and also the wiring needs to be changed/repaired with an initial estimate for both the jobs to be around 6-7k.

I got the battery 4 year old Exide battery replaced with a new one with same specs as before but the car is not cranking still and shows Fuel injection and the battery warning lights. My parking is at a difficult spot and cannot get the towing van there.

Has someone faced issues of car not cranking at all with the same symptoms and advise how it was fixed? Any reliable/trusted Fiat mechanics around Pune East (Magarpatta-Hadapsar) who can help?
The servicing is due in the next 2 weeks and the last servicing was done when the Odo was 56.5 k and I have never missed any of my previous service schedules. The car was not used much during the past 2 years and clocked around 6k.

Would it help to get servicing done in my parking with another ex-fiat mechanic who provide services to change the Engine oil, change the Oil, Air, Fuel and AC filters. Read somewhere the issue might be due to clogged filters. I had gone on couple of trips (500 -1k kms) in November and December and had filled fuel from unknow pumps.

Should I push the car again and try to start to see if it helps? If the car does not start still how would I make the turns out of my society as I think the steering would be jammed??

Please note I have never ever done any servicing outside of the Fiat ASS but the service center is around 35 kms from where I live as Fiat closed the other workshop in Pune during covid.
Kindly help/advise!! "

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks