Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2023, 17:46   #871

My Car Won't Start in First attempt| What To Do

Hi,
My alto k10vxi(2016) has been acting weird since past few months: 1-It takes 2-3 attempts to start most of the time
2-suddenly dies on me - i stop for a short time like 10 minutes, but then it refuses to re-start, ignition turns alright but otherwise there's no sound or movement.
3-All the dashboard lights, headlights, indicators, horn are normal.
4-no warning lights come on
Battery is only a year old. All the mechanics insisted it(battery)s the culprit though couldn't explain that how come everything is normal then!
Yesterday: mechanic tested with another car's battery And it did not start still! He said it was the ignition issue and 'serviced' it, saying that if the problem persists then we'l get it replaced. However, it didn't seem to help - car took 2attempts to start and Battery voltage was lower than normal. He said it will recharge as you drive and it did But thats obviously not the solution, is it?I shall be extremel grateful for any help.
Old 19th February 2024, 20:16   #872
BHPian

Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

I had posted in the past in this thread about my car's starting / stalling troubles. The troubles started in July-2022. All 4 spark plugs were changed and fuel-pump was replaced in Aug-Sep 2022. After this, there were no problems until June-2023.

On 25th June 2023, the car suddenly stops in moving traffic at Old Airport Road, Domlur. Odo was 71984 km. Sent family away by Uber. Disconnected and reconnected the battery again after 15 minutes. Car starts and I drive to Basavanagudi. Again car stops in moving traffic in Lalbagh road. Same 15 minutes battery exercise and it started again. Finally I reach destination at Basavanagudi & disconnect the battery. After 3 hours, battery reconnected, car does not start at all. I give up after several attempts including fuse checks.

This video was taken on cold cranking the next morning:

I then swap the mini-relay for ignition with another similar specced relay in the engine bay fuse box. Voila! She fires up on first try and I drive directly to TASS Kropex Koramangala. I replace the faulty mini-relay with a new one. Problem resolved (for now). Refer to Post #850 in this thread for complete details.

Since then, I have one of the two scenario happen (several times):

1. In slow moving, crawling traffic, the engine dies off. Immediate cranking does not help. Move over the car to the side of the road. Wait for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes, disconnecting the -ve terminal of the battery and waiting for 15-30 minutes helps. After all this, the car sometimes started again on cranking. Sometimes, it had to be towed away to service center.

2. Occasionally, during cold starts in the morning, the engine cranks with higher than usual revs (> 2500 rpm) and then slowly or immediately dies off.

This happened on 27th December at Chennai. Engine was cold. First crank of the morning. Odo was 77540 km. I ask service center to change the coolant temperature sensor for my peace of mind since I suspect that the engine is overheating but sensor is feeding lower temp data to ECU and instrument cluster (refer to posts #861 & 862 in this thread).

This happened on 21st January 2024, at Indiranagar Bangalore. Engine was started after overnight halt. Odo was 77980 km.

22nd January 2024: I went to Service Center and explained the problems to Service Manager. Asked them to also do the annual service along with breakdown diagnosis. Fuel pump module was once again found to be the culprit. Fuel pump had to be ordered since it was not in stock. This is the 3rd replacement is less than 8 years, the last one lasted less than 18 months. I was not happy with its quality and lifespan. I informed the General Manager and Regional Customer Service Manager my disappointment with the repeated failure of fuel pump and the turnaround time to replace it.

31st January 2024: Car was delivered to me after fuel pump replacement and annual service. Total bill Rs.19,222. I drove home in the evening traffic. I was 1 km from my home when the car again stopped in a narrow road. Traffic piled up in no time. After repeated attempts, the car started and reached home without further drama.

1st February 2024: In the morning, I try cold starting the car in my residential parking space. Vehicle refused to start even after multiple attempts. Odo was 78000 km.

I call Authorized service center (ASC) stating my situation and my dissatisfaction with their resolution. I take videos of the instrument cluster and share it with them as well as Regional Customer Service Manager. ASC sends a technician home the same afternoon. He is also unsucessful in starting the car. His diagnosis: bad spark plugs and HT cables. He says he will return with them in few days time.

After several reminders, phone calls etc, they finally sends someone home on 7th February 2024. Senion Technician / Supervisor checked the spark plugs first. All 4 spark plugs found to be bad (these were about 18 months old). Replaced them with 4 new ones. Tried starting the car, and it still seemed to be misfiring. Now all 4 HT cables were replaced. Car started now but the idling was not smooth. The Supervisor drove the vehicle slowly to service center located 10 km away.

10th February 2024: I visit service center to get an update. They inform me that during test drive, the engine seems to have died after about 20-25km of driving. Now they suspect the ignition coil. I ask them to replace it as well.

15th February 2024: I visit service center to get an update. They have installed the new ignition coil. But the problem persists. Now I'm told that there is an error on scanning 'Fuel injector 4 is faulty'. Now they plan to remove the fuel tank and clean it. They also plan to clean the fuel lines, fuel filter etc. They also suspect Lambda/Oxygen sensor and Knock sensor.

Today: I'm not sure if ASC has found the root cause of all these problems. They seem to do trial-and-error approach.

My query is: Can the above symptoms be due to either bad spark plugs, HT cables or ignition coil or Lambda sensor? Are the service center folks missing something obvious? Are the two problems (engine dying in crawling traffic / overheating and cold-start problem) due to same issue or completely unrelated 2 different issues?

Last edited by srvm : 19th February 2024 at 20:23.
Old 19th February 2024, 22:09   #873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I
My query is: Can the above symptoms be due to either bad spark plugs, HT cables or ignition coil or Lambda sensor? Are the service center folks missing something obvious? Are the two problems (engine dying in crawling traffic / overheating and cold-start problem) due to same issue or completely unrelated 2 different issues?
Certainly bad spark plugs, HT or coils, not the Lambda sensor., However, all those components can be checked, visually inspected and also measured!

I would also check then distributor cap for crackers and the rotor, make sure it's clean and the contact on the inside of then distributor cap too. Check for burn marks. Takes less than a couple of minutes.

However, My first idea would be a crank and or cam shaft sensor going bad. That would also explain the problems with the engine dying in the heat and cold start problems.

Although in theory a crank/camshaftnsensor works properly or it does not, in practice there is a very grey area where engine exhibit these kind of symptoms. When they become warmmthey become even more temperamental.

Some cars/engines are more susceptible to it than others. I always carry a spare one in both my Alfa Spider as well as my Jeep Cherokee.

You might get an error code, but more often than not, nothing shows in the scanner. It is just one of those things that comes from experience.

It is one of the few problems that can't be measured, it is a case of replace and see if it solved the problem!

Good luck, let us know what they find.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 19th February 2024 at 22:12.
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 08:58   #874
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Car Won't Start in First attempt| What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrango View Post
Hi,
My alto k10vxi(2016) has been acting weird since past few months: 1-It takes 2-3 attempts to start most of the time
2-suddenly dies on me - i stop for a short time like 10 minutes, but then it refuses to re-start, ignition turns alright but otherwise there's no sound or movement.
3-All the dashboard lights, headlights, indicators, horn are normal.
4-no warning lights come on
Battery is only a year old. All the mechanics insisted it(battery)s the culprit though couldn't explain that how come everything is normal then!
Yesterday: mechanic tested with another car's battery And it did not start still! He said it was the ignition issue and 'serviced' it, saying that if the problem persists then we'l get it replaced. However, it didn't seem to help - car took 2attempts to start and Battery voltage was lower than normal. He said it will recharge as you drive and it did But thats obviously not the solution, is it?I shall be extremel grateful for any help.
If the car cranks, then battery is fine. If it does not then check the starter relay and the condition of the starter motor. I suspect one of these. Any good FNG electrical shop will be able to check it.

Another cause can the the cable running from battery to the starter. At times slightly loose connection will exibit these symptoms. To check first try moving the battery lug by twisting or shaking the cable. Do the same at the starter end. Then if it is tight, check the connection between the cable and the lug. I once had a loose cable-to-lug connection that exhibited these sumptoms.
Old 20th February 2024, 10:18   #875
BHPian

The car when it idles, has a very lopey idle! I would suggest, while the spark plugs, the plug wires and the other components have been changed and checked, please have your IACV and engine checked for vacuum leaks. The way your idle was hunting, normally is sign of a vacuum leak or a faulty/clogged IACV.

Also, what happens when you hold throttle and try starting the car? Does it start?
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 19:12   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I had posted in the past in this thread about my car's starting / stalling troubles. The troubles started in July-2022. All 4 spark plugs were changed and fuel-pump was replaced in Aug-Sep 2022. After this, there were no problems until June-2023.
An update to my previous post.
Engine wiring harness was found to be the culprit. It was very difficult to diagnose since malfunction/ check engine lamp came up very rarely.
Harness was changed and technicians took a couple of days for long road tests to observe the car. Car was delivered to me today.
I'll be driving around with a keen eye on the rpm and other parameters in the instrument cluster.
Really hope that the problem is resolved for good.

Thanks to several BHPians for all your help and suggestions.
Old 17th April 2024, 16:33   #877
BHPian

Mine is a 2013 Hyundai Verna CRDi SX. I'm looking for an ECM repair contact. Here's the background of the issues.

3 weeks ago, I observed the engine light on the console. It was about the same time that I started noticing loss of acceleration. It was so bad that I had to downshift to 1st gear to get the car moving on a flat surface. Observed noticeable vibrations too. No problem with engine start/stop. I took the vehicle to HASS. They diagnosed the issue to be P0201 (fuel injector issue). As part of the diagnosis, they first checked for rat bites - none. Swapped the fuel injector - the error on the console wouldn't go away. They suspect it to be an ECM issue and said they'll try to swap the ECM and see if the error goes away. They couldn't source the ECM so suggested me to go with ECM repair with a known contact of theirs. HASS takes no liability of the work. The guy who does the repair is probably an independent IC repair person. I spoke to him and he was quoting 18K and brought it down to 12K final.

I want to know 2 things:
Could this really be an ECM issue or is there a scam at play b/w the guy and HASS.
Is 12K for the repair job worth it, without a guarantee of the issue not occurring in the future?

The vehicle has been in the shed of the ASS for more than a week now due to heavy vehicle load.

I scanned through the forum for any ECM repair contacts but no success, as either they stopped repairing or they're not reachable.

ECM replacement is a costly affair. I was quoted 1.2L. I don't intend to keep the vehicle for long so it doesn't make sense to go for the replacement.

Any help appreciated in this regard. TIA

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks