Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2022, 08:02   #826
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa strange startup problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I am seeing cranking problems in my Jazz randomly. Turning the key to crank does nothing, no sound or anything. The usual things are lighted up on the display. Turning the key fully off and trying after 2-3 times starts the car. Planning on taking to ASC tomorrow
For 'no crank' situation, the likely faults are as listed earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A list of possible reasons why this is happening (assuming the battery itself is fine, since it is new, and the relay has been replaced):
  1. The battery cables are broken internally somewhere;
  2. The terminals are corroded (whether at the battery or at the starter motor);
  3. Ignition key switch is faulty;
  4. Starter motor carbon brushes need to be replaced;
  5. Starter motor is jamming (broken bearing or Bendix gear)
Since you do not report that the service centre has opened & inspected the starter motor, I'd suspect that to be the culprit. Troubleshooting the problem should be easy enough.
OTOH...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargav_dave View Post
Yes the problem is that it cranks but won't fire up on random occasions.
If that is so, why did the service centre change the starter relay?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 3rd October 2022 at 08:04.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 12:24   #827
BHPian

Quote:

OTOH...

Thanks, I will ask them about this. It seems they don't have expertise in electrics so they use some external agency. This is why they may be reluctant in opening the starter motor. The manager say that as a last resort he will send it to the electric guy and open the motor, perhaps he feels it will be too expensive?

Nonetheless, I will have to get that done as driving with uncertainty is just not possible in the long run. Thanks for your help.
bhargav_dave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 11:22   #828
BHPian

Quote:

OTOH...

Took it to the Honda ASC today. They told me the starter motor is busted and can't be repaired and needs to be replaced. It costs Rs 8k+! I was at work when they called, asked them if it can't be repaired. They said it can't be. So asked them to replace it. Now thinking if I should have taken it to any other FNG for 2nd opinion. But I don't know any good FNG here in Gachibowli area of Hyderabad, and I am also driving on a 700+ round trip road trip tomorrow.
sanchari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 10:43   #829
Senior - BHPian

Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Yes random crank firing is due to
. Battery terminals loose
. Starter commutator dirty/worn out
. Vapour lock in the fuel system

Starter relay problems are rarely intermittent.
Old 17th October 2022, 20:21   #830

Scorpio S8 refuses to start! Urgent Assistance Required!

Hi everyone, hope you're keeping well.
A Mahindra Scorpio S8 purchased in 2014 had been allotted as a govt vehicle for my mom. It was accidental and recently underwent major repairs like a complete ECU and vehicle wiring replacement from a genuine Mahindra service center. The car was fine during trial and the people from mahindra performed two 25 Kilometer test runs to ensure the car was fine, which it was till it returned back home last night. The next morning i.e. today, the car refused to start. After putting the key in the "on" position, the Check-engine run happens where both rev and speed dials go complete a full sweep. After completing the full sweep, the rev dial again goes to 7 and stays stuck there and its the same thing with the speed dial which stays stuck at 120. The immobiliser light also starts flashing rapidly and the car refuses to start. Could anyone help as I really don't know what the issue is and the car needs to be up and running for election duty. I will be attaching a picture of how the speedo looks with the dials stuck below. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
"My Car Won't Start" | What To Do-img_8088.jpg  

Old 18th October 2022, 07:04   #831
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Scorpio S8 refuses to start! Urgent Assistance Required!

Normally Scorpios are extremely reliable. So this must be an aberration. Quite possibly as you said, the engine immobiliser must have gotten activated somehow.
As a govt official, it is worth your calling the local mahindra service chaps and ask them to take this in for checking and servicing and to allocate a temporary loaner from their pool for election duty.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 07:51   #832

The car just got back from the service center the day before and it was running perfectly fine when it was handed over. All other components of the vehicle like the lights, A/C, sound system and central locking work perfectly fine. It's just that it refuses to start. Also, there is a paucity of vehicles at the local dealership owing to bad roads caused by the long monsoon season this year, so I already tried asking them to requisition a car, but to no avail.
rigyal_y is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 08:42   #833
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks like an ECU/Wiring issue or a battery issue. You will need to take it back to the service center to diagnose it properly.

Sitting online, we can only assume.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 09:32   #834

The ECU has been completely replaced, coded, and so has the wiring. The battery has also been charged and all electrical components like headlights and A/C are working. Could it be a faulty fuse box problem?
Old 28th November 2022, 19:40   #835

Hi Everyone, finally faced the "My car won't start" issue.
I have a Maruti Swift VDI, 2016 which has run 36,990kms till date. The car was recently fitted with a new Exide battery 3 months before and underwent major service just a week before it finally refused to start. I had already started noticing the delayed starts post major service which I was ignoring due to busy schedule, however, today the car finally gave up despite cranking it multiple times.

I had gone to market for some work and when i returned, cranked the car as usual expecting it take a delayed start, however, the car refused to start though it was taking full cranks. Tried for atleast 5 times cranking the car but it refused to start. Battery was not an issue since it was able to run all electronics and the voltage was observed to be aroun 12.6V. Called the service centre guy and he informed that the mechanic will visit onsite in an hour.
In the mean time, got few guys and tried to push start the car in 2nd gear, it started. We all rejoiced and I thought of taking the car directly to the service centre to sort out the issue. However, after covering 2kms through the slow moving traffic, as soon as my speed reached around 35kms, the car suddenly lost power, check engine light came "ON" and car turned off midway. Managed to park the car on side of the road and again car refused to start on cranking despite battery power being adequate.

In the meantime, the mechanics from service centre arrived, the opened up one of the hose between engine and intercooler, sprayed a liquid and cranked at the same time, the car started with a shudder and it was all back to normal.

The mechanics told that they would be taking the car to seevice centre for proper inspection and would report the issue tomorrow.

Can anyone help me in figuring out as to what could be the issue. I am suspecting following issues:-

1. The fuel pump of the car could be faulty.
2. The ECM could have gone faulty as when I had received the car after major service, I found traces of water in the engine back which means it was water washed during cleaning. However, there was absolutely no power or pickup issue noticed in entire week and only delayed staring was noticed.

Thanks!! in advance
Old 13th December 2022, 14:14   #836
BANNED

Not related to starting but in my Ecosport I am noticing sometimes a strange soft tak,tak sound from the floor of car (where my feet rests) when I turn the steering for 90 deg turns or more. Its more felt than heard, anyone can point out what could be the underlying reason?
Old 13th December 2022, 18:31   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Not related to starting but in my Ecosport I am noticing sometimes a strange soft tak,tak sound from the floor of car (where my feet rests) when I turn the steering for 90 deg turns or more. Its more felt than heard, anyone can point out what could be the underlying reason?
Guess something to do with the steering rack. Is this hydraulic steering or electric? If hydraulic, then may be no proper circulation of steering fluid.

Or as simple as some thing is touching the tyres while it is turned which can be confirmed by a visual inspection.
Old 25th December 2022, 11:42   #838

Mahindra bolero power plus starting problem

There is a starting issue faced after driving for sometime and restarting after a pause.

Entire vehicles shakes and rattles but it doesn't start.
Model of the vehicle is 2018. Internet is full with this issue of bolero but I found team bhp is untouched with it.

Sharing a youtube video link to describe the issue in detail.

Dear community please share some wisdom on it
Old 26th December 2022, 20:57   #839
PGA
BHPian

Re: Mahindra bolero power plus starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbravo View Post
There is a starting issue faced after driving for sometime and restarting after a pause.

Entire vehicles shakes and rattles but it doesn't start.
Model of the vehicle is 2018. Internet is full with this issue of bolero but I found team bhp is untouched with it.

Sharing a Youtube video link to describe the issue in detail.

https://Youtu.be/XokLmUyQh4Y

Dear community please share some wisdom on it
If your car knock and rattles badly upon cranking especially after driving some distance do the following actions,

Get the battery condition checked up and tighten the terminals to max possible.

The problem is normally with the starter motor, it draws huge current and the stock battery is just adequate.

If the problem persists, take the car to A.S.S, its a known problem and they will change the starter motor free if under warranty, otherwise you will need to shell out about 8k.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 22:03   #840

Re: Mahindra bolero power plus starting problem

Thanks, PGA, I appreciate your response.
Unfortunately, my vehicle warranty is over.

I took the car to my city's well-known motor electrician and got the starter machine serviced. He mentioned that there is nothing wrong noticeable with the motor, and put it back after the servicing.

The entire day I could not experience the same issue again.
I will keep posting my experience on this thread for the reference of future readers.
inbravo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks