Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2016, 07:40   #451
BHPian

Volkswagen RSA cheating?

Hi guys need some help with VW RSA issues. I will try and keep this as short as possible.

Last Friday tried to start my mark VI Jetta and the engine would not start. This has happened before in April this year. On that occasion i called up VW RSA for a jump start, took the car directly to Global Gallerie Thane as I always do who advised me to change to a new battery. Since the battery was 3.5 years old decided to take the SA's advice and change to a brand new one immediately. Post this everything was fine.

Now, since i am out of the country for long periods of time the car is lying around parked for most of that time. I ask my FIL (Father in law) or wife to start it every week or so just to keep things running. In August FIL decided to take the car for a week end in lonavala. Unfortunately there was a huge traffic jam right after the first toll naka on the panvel side just when the ghats begins. Anyways long story short, the clutch got fried along with the flywheel which also had to be replaced. RSA was contacted again and the vehicle was towed to Global gallerie Thane who did all the repairs.

I get back end of September, drove the car around a few times to make sure everything is ok. Flash forward to last Friday again engine would not crank. As i was busy I waited until Monday when I called up RSA and got a jump start. Now by Monday the battery was drained to such a extent that even the doors would not unlock! Anyways drove the car right back down to global gallerie thane.

Now here is where the fun begins. SA checks the battery and all seems normal until he checks the brand of the battery which reads AC Delco. Naturally the SA asks me if I had given the car to any road side mechanic to which my answer is of course not. The car has only been to VW thane and nowhere else. Some more research on their side and they find out that the only battery that VW provide is Exide. So question is when was the Original battery swapped?

As far as I am concerned there are only 2 possibilities:
1. VW Global Gallerie did not change to exide back in April (unlikely but possible - Also I am kicking myself for not verifying back then)
2. The RSA towing guys did the swap while towing the vehicle from lonavala to thane.

Possibility No.2 seems much more likely considering the towing guys are most likely working on contract basis with VW RSA. They had access to the vehicle and and the keys for a long period of time and could easily have done some monkey business.

After being bounced around between VW customer helpline and RSA helpline for a while i managed to register a complaint number. After 2 days of "investigation" i primly get a mail saying they do not install AC Delco batteries in any cars and RSA denies opening the hood at anytime.

The car is still at the workshop. I refused to make a decision before talking to someone higher up. So the big question is what is the point of taking up VW RSA i I am going to be ripped off in the the end in this manner. For that matter how can i trust VW when i send in the car for service that its being done correctly? Do i check the oil has been changed? how? what about wheel alignment & balancing? Anyways they assured me that I can talk to a manager today so lets see what happens. In the meanwhile any suggestions are welcome.
Frankazoid!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 08:05   #452
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen RSA cheating?

Is your only concern that somehow your car got a battery other than Exide? Is it mandatory that only one brand of battery needs to be installed. My VW car runs on Amaron and I don't have a good opinion about Exide and even if VW insist use Exide I am not going to accept that. AC Delco is a reputed automotive brand and if they have the right rated batteries for Jetta, why not use that. May be Exide with the right rating was not available on the day your car went for repair and they got a different brand from outside. I think the real problem with your car is low run ins or some electrical problem draining the battery.

Last edited by poloman : 22nd October 2016 at 08:06.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 13:07   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I think the real problem with your car is low run ins or some electrical problem draining the battery.
While that may well be true. the issue on hand is someone cheated and is he going to get away scot free? Why not check the serial number and figure out the manufacturing date of the battery? That way you would be able to atleast decide whether it was the RSA or the towing guys. The possibility of the towing guys switching a battery of nearby date is pretty low.
Secondly, in the Mercedes, charging of the battery is by the regenerative braking system. If it is similar in the VW, then running the engine on standstill won't help.
Old 22nd October 2016, 14:30   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Is your only concern that somehow your car got a battery other than Exide?
A new battery was swapped with a drained old battery, and the OE battery found its way into the shady used battery market. Of course he should be concerned. Also if this is the case, just imagine what all parts could be changed. Battery and spare tyres are the most commonly 'stolen' parts in a similar fashion as these hardly need any time or tools.

Simple logic should suffice for VW to understand something wrong has happened here. Now will they admit it, is the real question.
Old 22nd October 2016, 14:41   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
A new battery was swapped with a drained old battery, and the OE battery found its way into the shady used battery market. Of course he should be concerned. Also if this is the case, just imagine what all parts could be changed. Battery and spare tyres are the most commonly 'stolen' parts in a similar fashion as these hardly need any time or tools.

Simple logic should suffice for VW to understand something wrong has happened here. Now will they admit it, is the real question.
I think you did not read the post properly. The OE battery which was 3.5 years old was replaced some time back in April. Now the question is any new battery is accompanied by a warranty card. Did the OP have this? or at least did he ask for that? Now after 6 months the battery again got drained out.
How are you going to conclude that the replaced battery was a old one? A car with electrical issue or is not being used for extended periods, no matter you install any kind of battery, it will die in a matter of months.
Old 22nd October 2016, 15:40   #456
Senior - BHPian

If Global Galerie changed the battery they must have a record of details of new battery they installed. Was it Exide?
Old 22nd October 2016, 15:51   #457
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
If Global Galerie changed the battery they must have a record of details of new battery they installed. Was it Exide?
Yes take an invoice copy and check, even the current dealer should be able to pull it from the history to verify what was the battery used.
Old 23rd October 2016, 01:07   #458
BHPian

Quote:
I think the real problem with your car is low run ins or some electrical problem draining the battery.
I have owned a Polo 1.6 for 3 years prior to the Jetta which i have in turn owned for approximately 3 years now. I have always made sure that the cars are started and warmed up at least once every 2 weeks and so far i have not had any issues battery-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Secondly, in the Mercedes, charging of the battery is by the regenerative braking system. If it is similar in the VW, then running the engine on standstill won't help.
That's the job of an alternator. Whenever the engine is running it will charge the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post

You hit the nail on the head buddy! This is exactly my concern. If we cant trust VW RSA to do their job how can we believe that engine oil is changed after a service or wheel alignment and balancing is done or not? These are not things you or I can check. We just have to trust that they have done it and its this trust that has been broken. I have purchased VW RSA to provide a service not to rip me of in this fashion.

Quote:
I think you did not read the post properly. The OE battery which was 3.5 years old was replaced some time back in April. Now the question is any new battery is accompanied by a warranty card. Did the OP have this? or at least did he ask for that? Now after 6 months the battery again got drained out.
How are you going to conclude that the replaced battery was a old one? A car with electrical issue or is not being used for extended periods, no matter you install any kind of battery, it will die in a matter of months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes take an invoice copy and check, even the current dealer should be able to pull it from the history to verify what was the battery used.
Global Gallerie have confirmed that they only use exide batteries. I was not given a warranty card I was told that the service receipt will suffice.

Further update the car has been with Global Gallerie since Monday. Send VW complaint department a mail explaining the situation still waiting for a reply.
Old 24th October 2016, 15:19   #459
BHPian

Starting Problem

I am having 2007 Ford Ikon Flair 1.3. Recently i am facing a peculiar problem of starting. If the car is cold like the first start in the morning or evening, the car starts without any problem but when the car is heated up after a ride and if i switch off and then try to switch it on i gives me starting problem like the battery is drained and after about 4-5 cranks the car comes to life. Battery is OK not weak or old about 1.5yrs old. Can anyone confirm what could be the problem. Is it the iginition coil or the starter problem? Maybe the starter kit is old due to which i am facing this problem.
Old 24th October 2016, 15:28   #460
BHPian

Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
I think you did not read the post properly.

How are you going to conclude that the replaced battery was a old one?

Well, one of us has not read the post properly for sure.
Allow me to quote Frankazoid's own post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankazoid!!! View Post

Now here is where the fun begins. SA checks the battery and all seems normal until he checks the brand of the battery which reads AC Delco. Naturally the SA asks me if I had given the car to any road side mechanic to which my answer is of course not. The car has only been to VW thane and nowhere else. Some more research on their side and they find out that the only battery that VW provide is Exide. So question is when was the Original battery swapped?
If VW uses only Exide, and battery was changed at VW, and the car has been serviced only at VW, then how would an AC Delco battery appear in the vehicle?

Not much point in stealing a few months old battery and replacing with a brand new battery, so I guess am correct in assuming the AC Delco was an old one.

Last edited by revintup : 24th October 2016 at 15:31.
Old 24th October 2016, 15:35   #461
Team-BHP Support

Re: Starting Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakowli View Post
but when the car is heated up after a ride and if i switch off and then try to switch it on i gives me starting problem like the battery is drained and after about 4-5 cranks the car comes to life. Battery is OK not weak or old about 1.5yrs old.
Most likely it is something to do with the starter unit, do get it checked and serviced if needed. Another area you can look into is the grounding points and wiring if they are in good condition. Good idea to check the battery condition also, since it is a simple job. A weak individual cell acting up can cause similar issues.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 19:44   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakowli View Post
I am having 2007 Ford Ikon Flair 1.3. Recently i am facing a peculiar problem of starting ... when the car is heated up after a ride and if i switch off and then try to switch it on i gives me starting problem like the battery is drained and after about 4-5 cranks the car comes to life...
I've been facing a similar situation with my 2005 Santro Xing, with an Amaron battery which is approximately 4 years old.

Sometimes, the engine fails to crank. There is no particular pattern that I've noticed. I'm thinking it might not be the battery, because it happens in the middle of long drives as well. If the engine fails to crank 2 or 3 times is a row, I switch it off completely, wait for 8-10 seconds, and when I crank again, she starts without any problems! Every time, this technique works.

I'll get the battery checked sometime this week. What could be the other causes? Should I get the starter motor checked as well?

Please share your thoughts.
Old 1st January 2017, 21:21   #463
Senior - BHPian

Definitely check the starter motor but with a 4 year old battery first check battery level then check if a lot of battery use or a cracked case with a slow acid leak - due to a small crack in the case for example - where the leak only takes place when the engine is running hot and the battery water / acid inside boils and seeps out - has deposited residue onto the battery terminals.
Old 1st January 2017, 22:02   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the odometer on your Xing? A 2005 model would be getting on fair bit on engine life. Does the engine oil level fall between services or has to be topped up?
This only if battery is not the culprit. What hserus has pointed out can also be cause of symptoms you are describing.
Old 2nd January 2017, 08:25   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
What is the odometer on your Xing? A 2005 model would be getting on fair bit on engine life. Does the engine oil level fall between services or has to be topped up?
This only if battery is not the culprit. What hserus has pointed out can also be cause of symptoms you are describing.
Whatever it is - please check the battery first and then if the battery is ok only then try to drill down on further issues.

The rest of the investigation can cost you a fair bit, battery replacement can be done cheaply and in under ten minutes at any battery shop, plus the mechanic there can clean the deposited residue if any, before installing the new one.

If the issue is an acid leak from your battery do this asap because the acid can given time corrode other metal parts such as the battery mounting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks