Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2014, 16:07   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
So the car just completed 48k Kms. The tyres are now looking balder but on showing them to my tyre guy I was informed that they are good for another 15k Kms easy. The shocker is that there are no tyres available in this size in the market. The car came shod with hankook and though the tyres have performed flawlessly I really wanted to upgrade to michelins.
The size of the tyre is 235/75 R16 and my tyre dealer has told me the only thing possible is to look for hankook like the originals or upgrade size to 245/70 R16 in which case michelins would be available. Can anyone please throw some light on the upsize option. (
You can upsize safely to the 245/70R16 size. The tyre upsize chart calculation shows a -1.25pct circumference difference, which is negligible. Besides, you have a varied choice of HT and AT tyres in that size.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 16:41   #167
BHPian

Re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

The car has now completed 52k kms. A service was due at 50k kms and the same was conducted very recently. The niggles that i face are that there is a lot of rattling from the vehicle now. The suspension is making a squeaking sound from the front right, there is a squeaking sound coming from the dashboard but only while accelerating and is there only at a certain tachometer reading of between 1500-2000rpm. There is a weird noise coming from the engine bay which sounds like some pulley or belt is loose but its a very intermittent noise and does not come all the time. The engine is definitely making more noise than it used to. Earlier you couldn't hear it at all. The tyres are wearing down now and hence there is more tyre noise than earlier and the alignment has never managed getting sorted!
The silver lining- The excellent customer service that i get from Mahindra. Mind you i'm talking about Mahindra not necessarily the dealer but then the company is so proactive that the dealers are pulled up real quick by the company and all problems are always attended to in a rush though not necessarily solved. This does involve a mail to customer care though but then its a small price to pay for the value that i get out of it.
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 15:46   #168
BHPian

The Rexton is now on 56k kms. I'm now contemplating getting the tyres changed even though they do have tread left but i do a lot of highway runs and its better safe than sorry.
While i value your advise about upgrading #predatorwheelz I would request some more suggestion. The original Hankook tyres come with a H speed rating i.e. i think good for speeds upto 210km/hr. The tires available in the market in the size given by you do not have a speed rating to match. The Michelins too come with a speed rating of upto 190km/hr.
While on a normal course of things these would work flawlessly the issue is that sometimes the car is sent on the yamuna expressway with the driver and with no way to monitor there is a high possibility of the car overspeeding.. While i don't approve of the same its better to be safe than sorry and with the car easily capable of high speeds i wouldn't want to take a risk.
I would love to hear of a suggestion as to what can be done.
Old 1st September 2015, 19:41   #169

Dear Team BHPians,

Yet another Rexton in trouble. Belongs to one of my friends. Have sent the following email to Mahindra and yet to receive a response from them. What would you suggest the way forward..

" Dear Customer Care Team,

I am a Team-BHP member and I am writing to you on behalf of my friend Mr. V. Ramamoorthy. My friend has taken delivery of a brand new REXTON from your Thirunelveli , (Tamilnadu state) dealer KODAI CARS (P) Ltd, last November(Nov 2014).

Right from the day one of his driving of the vehicle, he has been experiencing abnormal steering vibration problem in the vehicle while braking. He has promptly reported the problem to the above mentioned dealership and the dealership has replaced some of the steering related parts in warranty twice, but still the problem is not resolved. We have driven the vehicle ourselves to the dealership and still the vehicle is waiting in the dealership for some steering related part to arrive. This is absolutely not acceptable for a vehicle worth of Rs.20 lakhs

Meanwhile the dealership has noted another problem with the vehicle, of a leaking clutch slave cylinder and hence a prematurely worn clutch. A leaking slave cylinder will always create abnormal and premature wear of the clutch. Instead of accepting this fact the dealer is trying to blame my friend of clutch-riding and burning the clutch and the dealer is trying to charge him for the clutch plate.

We have absolutely lost confidence in the above dealership and doubt seriously whether the above dealership is technically capable of handling vehicles like the Rexton. I would like the Area Manager/ Regional Manager to contact me urgently at the below mentioned number to find a nearest alternative service centre and discuss the way forward.

Attaching few scanned copies for identifying engine no, chassis no, dealer of the vehicle.

Thanks
Rajesh ....

"
Old 1st September 2015, 21:50   #170

Update: The Chennai based Regional Manager from Mahindra has called upon us and has given a reassurance of resolving the Rexton's issues in a week's time after air lifting the necessary parts..
Old 1st September 2015, 21:52   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend's Rexton is a can of worms, every year this car spends months at service center, the list of random niggles is endless. To top it all spares availability is poor, the car had to spend more than 2 months in body shop for a minor accidental repair. And this car has no takers in used car market, even the slow selling Pajero Sport has far superior resale value.

The same workshop is good for my XUV, fixes issues in no time, you name a part and it's in stock.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 18:40   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
My friend's Rexton is a can of worms, every year this car spends months at service center, the list of random niggles is endless. To top it all spares availability is poor, the car had to spend more than 2 months in body shop for a minor accidental repair. And this car has no takers in used car market, even the slow selling Pajero Sport has far superior resale value.

The same workshop is good for my XUV, fixes issues in no time, you name a part and it's in stock.
Very true @.anshuman I was just wondering why Mahindra is not doing anything about it.. Like other manufacturers, nowadays Mahindra also seems to take customers for a ride, since the consumer protections laws are not very strong in India..
rajeshadd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 23:54   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshadd View Post
Very true @.anshuman I was just wondering why Mahindra is not doing anything about it.. Like other manufacturers, nowadays Mahindra also seems to take customers for a ride, since the consumer protections laws are not very strong in India..
Like the Chevrolet Trailblazer, Mahindra Rexton would also die a natural death. Mahindra do not know how to bury it and by now they are well aware that its a failure in the market thats why you do not even see ad's or dealers even trying to push it. I am sure in Mahindra board meetings nobody would want to even touch the Rexton issue as well.
Old 26th October 2015, 01:43   #174
BHPian

Well after reading the above issues I guess all rextons are prone to some niggle or the other.
My car has now completed 63k Kms. It had its periodic service at 60k Kms where they changed the automatic transmission fluid too. I had an unfortunate tyre burst and I'll attach a pic of it below but since the tyres were anyway due for replacement I got 4 of them changed to mrf wanderers the only ones available in the size and all new rextons now come with mrfs instead of hankooks. (I saw the same at the showroom on a new rexton)
The car is in the workshop at the moment to change some parts in the engine bay as a recall issued by the company and duly informed to me by the dealership. I think it's the vacuum modulator and the driveshaft belt if I recollect. Apart from that the roof rail had what looked like rust developing and the service center is repainting the same as per instructions from the company. Luckily apart from this the car is working just fine attaching the pics below. Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty-imageuploadedbyteambhp1445803813.631924.jpgEngine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty-imageuploadedbyteambhp1445803938.215257.jpg
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 10:39   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Well after reading the above issues I guess all rextons are prone to some niggle or the other.
My car has now completed 63k Kms. It had its periodic service at 60k Kms where they changed the automatic transmission fluid too. I had an unfortunate tyre burst and I'll attach a pic of it below but since the tyres were anyway due for replacement I got 4 of them changed to mrf wanderers the only ones available in the size and all new rextons now come with mrfs instead of hankooks. (I saw the same at the showroom on a new rexton)
The car is in the workshop at the moment to change some parts in the engine bay as a recall issued by the company and duly informed to me by the dealership. I think it's the vacuum modulator and the driveshaft belt if I recollect. Apart from that the roof rail had what looked like rust developing and the service center is repainting the same as per instructions from the company. Luckily apart from this the car is working just fine attaching the pics below. Attachment 1431150Attachment 1431151
^ The Hankook tyres on my friend's Rexton were faulty, they had hundreds of micro pores which leaked air, and also some deformation. The tires were changed under warranty at 50% cost, the newer MRF tyres are much better.

At 30k kms, even with careful driving, the master cylinder assembly packed up, over the time it had damaged clutch and flywheel was changed too. 50% cost of Clutch + Flywheel assembly had to be payed.

After repeated complaints on underbody rusting, Mahindra provided underbody anti rust coat for free, but still chassis and suspension parts rusting so early in life is unacceptable.

Do not accept repainted roof rails, insist for them to be replaced, they were changed on my friend's car.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:13   #176
BHPian

Hi,

I am A rexton rx5 owners for the last 3 years and driven about 50,000 km. Not a single issue with the suv till date. Still runs like new. My cousin brother in Chandhigarh also has a Rexton rx6 which again is niggle free. Can it be that few people have got bad apples for whatever reasons???
ashroy_6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 13:58   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

The roof rails replaced under warranty for rusting issue have started rusting again.

Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty-6d686f1dbc2f42d7a144448755513288.jpg
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 23:13   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The roof rails replaced under warranty for rusting issue have started rusting again.

Attachment 1440202

Well mine were repainted and I didn't insist on replacement since I was told the roof rails are plastic and not steel that they would rust rather it was an issue with the paint and they repainted with no cost to me.
In other news the car has done 65k Kms now and the tyres were changed with mrf wanderers. Car is working otherwise pretty fine.
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:37   #179
BHPian

The car has completed 70300 kms now and has just today been sent for a much needed service. The latest crazy update is that a couple of days back while driving to nainital i could hear wind noise from the windscreen after getting back the noise just got worse and soon enough i could see water on the front pillars after the wash by my driver in the mornings first a little dampness and slowly increased to it being properly wet. Yesterday while returning from Delhi the wind finally took its toll on the expressway where it suddenly felt as if a window was open and please remember I'm talking of wind noise from the front windscreen. I finally stopped the car and saw that the entire beading from both sides was out from the top edges.Put the beading back by hand as best as i could and drove home wondering whether there was a possibility of the glass falling off.

The car is at the service centre now for its service. Estimated bill Rs.9343 plus taxes. The workshop has told me they will re-do the windscreen since they were the ones who replaced it in the first place.
The low beam bulb for the projector lights needs to be replaced since its stopped working. The MRF tyres are running better than expected though the alignment issue is omnipresent even with new tyres!

The rest of the car now squeaks and rattles from quite a few places including the seats and the dashboard but seeing the roads the car is used on i'm now used to the noises.

Can anybody suggest a way to improve the headlight power. I'm now so used to my octavia's xenons that the rexton's projectors feel downright dull. Will it void my warranty?

How are other owners fairing it's been a while since i read any updates.
Old 6th February 2016, 12:13   #180
BHPian

So the car was returned to me after 3 days with a bill of 16k after a set of front brake pads were found to be in need of replacement.
Iv yet to review how the car is driving but the front windscreen work was carried on free of cost but in a totally shabby manned. There are scratches on the windscreen and the beading is uneven but to top it all scratches around on the body are additions the car has now come back with. Guess as usual regional head intervention is required!
Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty-imageuploadedbyteambhp1454740948.235411.jpgEngine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty-imageuploadedbyteambhp1454740963.571919.jpgEngine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty-imageuploadedbyteambhp1454740982.783086.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks