Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2017, 01:27   #226
BHPian

Hi all time for the latest update:
So the car was sent to the ass for a noise coming from the rear on going over speed breakers or uneven roads.. I thought that maybe the rear shockers have finally reached the end of their life even though my car is self driven and very carefully at that. The car was at the ass for a day and a half where they checked the entire rear suspension but couldn't find any fault but towards the end they finally found the Stepney to be loose which was making the noise. The gm had a good laugh about it on the phone with me.
The replacement key that was ordered proved to be a dud since the company just sent the metal part and not the complete key. Misunderstanding of whether I'd lost the key or broken it being the reason and they were like if your key was broken then they would replace the metal part but since it's lost I'll have to change the lock set. That is fine by me since I did notice recently a small play in the key when slotted in the ignition.

Iv ordered the same and should be in the workshop in a weeks time or so. The modulator noise is there but only occasionally I guess I'll take the car personally to get checked next time since they don't seem to give any importance to it unless I sit on their head about it. Maybe the workshop itself is fed up of it now.

Apart from that there is an occasional loud noise from the engine compartment on accelerating which comes and then disappears on its own. It's seldom and as per the workshop it's normal but I find it very intrusive.. don't know how I'll get the service Center to heed it since it's only noticeable to me.
rugsrags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 12:16   #227
BHPian

Re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

The lock set i'd ordered came in real handy. I hadn't had the time to send the car for the lock set change yet and since the workshop hadn't updated on its status i didn't really followup either even though at the back of my head i knew i should.
Kms done-112000~
Last Saturday at night the car was given in for valet parking, on returning we ended up waiting for the car to arrive but after half an hour the valet returns saying the car won't start. On reaching the car we see that the driver had ended up breaking the key fob and the car wouldn't start with the security warning with a key in it in yellow flashing on the console. Since it was night already we left the car there. Informed the dealership the next day and since the car has RSA activated the customer care from Mahindra got the car towed on a flatbed. The dealership found the chip/sensor missing from the key which apparently the valet driver on breaking the key fob dropped somewhere. Without the chip the ecu couldn't detect the coding and hence the engine immobiliser prevented the car from starting.

The dealership has arranged for a replacement chip which should arrive soon, the lock set is already in hand with them and hopefully i'll have the car back with a new lock set and new keys very soon. While they're waiting for the part have asked them to solve the rear seat noise issue which really can get irritating since it squeaks when nobody is sitting on em.
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 01:58   #228
BHPian

The lock set has been changed now but there is total confusion at the dealership regarding the Rexton. The lock set included only the barrel of the lock and a set of metal keys without the remote. The remote comes as a separate piece and costs around 9k per piece. So iv got my car back with one key only even with a new lock set and that set me back by around 17k including Labour for change of lock set! If I need a duplicate remote key it'll set me back by another 9k!!
Old 28th November 2017, 19:54   #229
BHPian

Ahh the issues just have to continue with no abatement. I had a puncture and while getting it repaired noticed another crack in the inner sidewall. Iv already had this issue earlier wherein 3 of my replaced tyres were replaced again by mrf. Had requested them to change the fourth tyre too but the technician had declined! Not that fourth tyre has a crack too. Mrf quality is down in the dumps and I'm stuck with them since the size is available only with them. The point I'm worried about is that I hope they still manufacture this size since there are no sales of Rexton happening anymore. Though that'll just give me an excuse to upsize to Michelin!!

Iv written to mrf pertaining to the issue let's see what they have to say about it.
Old 5th December 2017, 12:42   #230
BHPian

The fourth tyre with the cut has again been replaced by mrf. Luckily they had a tyre in stock from my earlier issue with them but I've been informed by mrf that production has been stopped for these tyres quite a while back and that no more tyres will be available now in this size. Also since this size was only manufactured by them in 2013 there is high chance of crack coming again due to the age of the tyres . The only option left from now will be to upsize to a standard size by increasing width of the tyre. Luckily I'll be out of warranty anyway when this happens as I expect the current lot of replaced tyres to atleast be good for the next year or so.

The modulator is again acting up (not surprised) and if ordered the other duplicate key remote too. There is a slight noise on switching on the ac from the engine bay which could be a sign of some fault in the compressor as per the dealership and they've ordered a compressor already which will be covered under the extended warranty. Must say the dealership has been very proactive since the noise is intermittent and minuscule which was missed by me but the manager called me and told me that there could be an issue later so as a precaution they've already ordered a new part.
Old 13th January 2018, 14:36   #231
BHPian

Re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

118000 kms update

The compressor noise stated in the earlier post has gone up now considerably and the compressor ordered by the dealership hasn't reached them yet even though its been more than a month and now there is a whine coming when the complete steering is turned at the lock point which as per the dealer is connected to the compressor hose.

I'v been patiently waiting for the compressor and didn't raise the issue to the customer care since the manager at the workshop requested me not to since it entails a lot of e-mail query answers for him but i guess i'll have to take the step now since the response is pretty slow without that.

There was a slight scare during my last trip out on the highway where the engine check light came on but there was no loss of power or anything and the workshop manager told me that if there is no loss of power then i can keep driving since i was in the middle of nowhere. Post that the light went off on its own after a bit and the service person told me it could be possibly because of water in the diesel. Its been off since then though.

There is a lot of noise from the rear bench even on smooth roads unless i have somebody sitting on it and the creaking can really get to one's nerves. There has been no permanent solution just like in the case of the modulator noise.
Old 29th January 2018, 17:46   #232
BHPian

The car has been at the workshop now since the 24th. 5th day now though it includes the republic day. As iv been told most of the work has been completed. The engine noise was from a faulty belt tensioner though i'll only know once i get the car and the bill. They are monitoring the vacuum modulator lol hence the delay in giving the vehicle. I wrote to the customer care though the only reply i get is that they are in receipt of my query and a cc is added for the GM service at the service centre with instructions to get in touch with me which i find very funny since he is anyway in cc when i write to mahindra. As iv been told that it just ends up with the GM having to reply back with an updation of the work done etc. What i can't figure is why the company won't send a technical person to analyse the actual fault instead of just replacing (incase of the modulator) again and again the same part. I also think that the Rexton because of its lack of success has been receiving a continually lacklustre response from mahindra. The company officials were a lot more pro-active initially and now all I get is a quick acknowledgement mail. The GM at the service centre is much more pro-active maybe he sees a potential customer while the company employees just see a repeat complaint and i'm nothing more to them. Im sticking to the car due to the confusion over GST on selling used company cars and the fact that i won't get any value in selling the car. The performance is still the same from the engine so hats off there and the ride is beautiful and for the peanuts i'd get for it id rather continue using it instead of shelling out a bomb for the similar size.
Old 3rd April 2018, 21:30   #233
BHPian

120000 Kms update
Regular service and the parts replaced were the usual filters etc . Total bill was around 12k and along with this the driver side seat belt was replaced in warranty as the self winding mechanism was acting up. The airbag light has just come on and stays on in red so have to send it back to the workshop once we have the time for it. Pretty caught up at the moment. The seat noise issue from the rear bench has finally been addressed hopefully it won't come back to haunt us.
Old 17th April 2018, 23:40   #234
BHPian

So the airbag issue is resolved. Some contact point needed to be changed which was done fairly quickly I must say. The car seat noise has completely gone and I'm so relieved and happy. It was like an unwelcome visitor who refused to leave for so long now that with it gone I kind of miss it now... The cabin has gone completely silent just like when the car was new!! At 1.2lac Kms it's quite an achievement actually and I don't have any car in my garage which has ever aged so gracefully. The seats the plastics et all are still right there at the top of their game.
Old 5th June 2018, 12:31   #235
BHPian

1.26 lac kms update..

Everything working flawlessly except the vacumn modulator noise yet again It's being replaced yet again under warranty. Apart from that i'm finally letting this car go as soon as i find a buyer. Apparently no body wants to touch it and i'm not surprised. Lack of awareness about it is the main cause. It's aged so well and i'm sure its been cheaper to maintain than a fortuner if we exclude the warranty replacements. Even so a lot of people have come up with questions regarding lack of availability of parts...well i for one haven't really faced this issue all that much especially since the parts were expressly called for and delivered incase of any item that wasn't part of the regular maintenance. i have comparisons based on my skoda and bmw which take way longer than this. Even my hyundai grand i-10 has a faulty power window switch which has been on order since a month now with no update from the service centre.
Old 20th July 2018, 14:44   #236
BHPian

Hi guys. This will be the last post on this thread, 129000 kms and it has finally been let go. What a journey its been! It had its shares of ups and downs but overall it left quite a good impression. While its being handed over tomorrow it goes at a time where it has zero niggles to report, everything is working smoothly, the performance is just as when it was new (except for the occasional engine turbo noise which was never diagnosed). I'v had to say goodbye and its never easy but some consolation is that i'm welcoming a pearl white 4x2 automatic fortuner in its stead! Delivery next week so looking forward to it!!

Whoever read my posts..thank you hope they were insightful though i doubt there to be any fellow owners out there for this. I'll periodically update my ownership of the fortuner but i think its already well covered. My only aim with my posts here was to share my review for a vehicle that was very underestimated and not represented well at all. Goodbye!

Last edited by ajmat : 12th September 2018 at 11:19. Reason: Pleave avoid dotted posts like this ......
rugsrags is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 19:29   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Hi guys... this will be the last post on this thread... 129000 kms and it has finally been let go... Goodbye!
Would you mind sharing how much did you let it go for?
Old 3rd December 2018, 15:54   #238
BHPian

That won't be doing any good to the dealer who took it because i couldn't for find an individual who wanted it at all, but it was around 7.
Old 21st September 2023, 20:10   #239

Very informative posts, thanks for all the hardwork you have put to timely update the threads.

Can you suggest that buying a Geniune 50k done 2016 Rx7 now would be a good idea or will it be taking a deep dive into uncertain waters?

Most Viewed