Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you have a valid PUC certificate for your vehicle(s)?
Yes 309 79.03%
No 82 20.97%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 16:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Poll: Do you have a valid PUC certificate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
- Agree with the first 3/4 of your comment, but what has language to do with better enforcement/policing?
That was in response to Alpha1's comment "India has failed because India is a forced concept. (it didn't evolve naturally/organically)"

If you pick up history of any country it is/was a forced concept at certain point of time. Lot of people lament about diversity of languages/cultures in India and cite as reason for chaos and call country as forced concept. Often in same breath China is cited as example of great homogeneous country but the fact is China is also as much of forced concept as is India or Russia or Brazil or any other big country.

Though I would reiterate that Alpha1 never mentioned reason for calling forced concept and I assumed the reason.

Last edited by amitk26 : 26th September 2013 at 16:41.
Old 26th September 2013, 16:51   #47
BHPian

Surprised at the amount of law breakers, here on Tbhp and their " who cares a ......" attitude. No wonder India fails to improve. If educated people themselves care two hoots about the laws, why should we expect political, economic, social and cultural improvements! Archaic or not, fight it at the core and get them amended if you think they are wrong, else follow them.
Old 26th September 2013, 17:05   #48
BHPian

Answer: Yes

I sometimes do it twice in a 6 months period. Why? Not because I want to be sure my car is non-polluting, but because I am running a KL car in AP and whenever I am in KL, I take a fresh PUC just to use as a proof to the cops in AP that I am not a citizen of AP, but KL and is just "passing by" AP. Yeah, we all are in different countries inside India. We speak different languages, pay different taxes, obey/break different laws. One of those cases where you overdo following a law to break another.
Old 27th September 2013, 00:26   #49
BHPian

I am surprised that fellow bhp-ians do not get their PUC done. In Delhi 3 out of 5 times a cop stops you, he will ask for PUC Certificate. There are outlets (IOC, RK Puram) which give PUC certificates after proper inspection valid for a year for new cars and 3 months for older vehicles. Weird that some cities this certificate is not asked for.

There is a law in place and just because they are not catching people for breaking it doesn't mean that we should continue doing what isn't legal. Whether is required or not is another matter. We're not the ones making the laws and if there is a law in place, we should follow it. Period.
Old 27th September 2013, 01:32   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
There is a law in place and just because they are not catching people for breaking it doesn't mean that we should continue doing what isn't legal. Whether is required or not is another matter. We're not the ones making the laws and if there is a law in place, we should follow it. Period.
I agree with you here but what are the law makers doing? Sleeping?

Like the way in Delhi they ask for PUC and fine accordingly if not shown, this same behaviour should be their throughout the country. Checking only in Delhi won't help, Right?! Awareness and proper certificates must also must be issued.

First the government should get strict with the certificate issuing agency and check every vehicle honestly and give necessary feedback not just copy old values with a minor changes. When the government is least bothered why should we?!
Old 27th September 2013, 09:04   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I would put it as something less dramatic , India has 117 policeman per 100,000 people which is similar to ungoverned countries like Liberia.

So it is simple plain lack of governance , Our politicians choose to spend money in vote catching schemes such as MNREGA , Food security bill , free laptops rather then old fashioned things like policing , justice delivery and law enforcement.
And politicians are not to be blamed they do so because people vote for 1 rupee rice and free laptop/ cycle /TV whatever rather then mundane things like law enforcement and development.

We have lots of laws but no law enforcement.
Completely agree with this bit. By not enforcing laws we are incentivizing people to break the law. What are the chances of getting caught after breaking a red light or not having a PUC sticker, DL, insurance etc? Maybe 1 : 10,000. Maybe even worse. And if you can get off by sticking INR 50 under the table (more like under the license :P). So, you'll probably get caught once in 4 - 5 years and get off by paying 50 to 100 bucks. Then why bother?

PS: I have a valid PUC. Though I believe that this is just another scam.
Old 27th September 2013, 11:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

I do get the PUC of both my cars and the bike done every six months. However while I do my best to follow all rules and laws, however if its a law which the legal system places as an escape route and to hide their incompetency, which causes an inconvenience to me I will not follow it till the time I can. Yes, I will also make sure that it doesn't create a problem for anyone else.
For example Sun films, why will I take mine off and burn in the sun just because the police are incompetent to ensure the safety of the people ? Also is it a guarantee that with all sun films off, all terrorists will retire and every single woman out there will be safe. I, on the other hand, believe safety is compromised with the films taken off. Suddenly my entire office area becoming a No parking Zone just because the Chief Minister is visiting. Where are those 100 odd cars supposed to go which a parked 'legally' everyday by paying fees ?
Old 27th September 2013, 12:12   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridsahmed View Post
Also what I understand is law has yet not made it compulsary yet.
I've scanned through several replies, but there seems to be general confusion about the frequency of PUC renewal and the requirement. Even the transport department websites of various State Governments have conflicting information due to recent change in rules.

I'm citing relevant rules of law and the sources here, so that there is clarity and if you are stopped or harassed by a cop, you may quote the exact rules.

PUC is required FOR EVERY MOTOR VEHICLE under Rule 115 (7) of Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989. That means, irrespective of which State you are in, you need to carry one, whether the local Police is implementing it or not.

Recently, new rules came into effect. Here's the summary of the rules in force:

- Up to 1 year from the date of registration of a vehicle, you don't need a PUC.

- All vehicles need to get a PUC after the expiry of the 1 year period

- For BS-IV vehicles, PUC is valid for 1 year

- All other vehicles need to renew their PUC every 6 months

Some State websites mention 3 months, but they can't make those rules. Each PUC is valid for 6 months (or 12 m for BSIV), and you have the right to dispute the local rules.

Hope this helps!

Sources:
1. Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989 Rule 115
2. Official Gazette - CMV Amendment Rules, 2012 introducing one year validity for PUC of BS-IV vehicles
3. Newspaper article announcing the rules
King_K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 12:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Why PUC?
Though I do keep a valid PUC for all cars in use, yet I have never observed any PUC centre to carry out any kind of adjustments in vehicles be it petrol or diesel.

This gives me an impression that the new age vehicles (following Euro Norms) stay within the stipulated range for emissions and this certificate business is just another way to siphon off money from the transport sector.

The impact is, that even if my car is not driven for a single day, I have to get the PUC done, while those who operate commercial vehicles also get it done once in three months.

Why can’t the transport department adds another cess (we are already paying few while buying fuel) and link the emissions to per litre of fuel consumption and make it a proportionate and transparent process?

Do you not see it a better way to deal with the issue?
Old 27th September 2013, 13:26   #55
BHPian

I am bit surprised when our fellow bhpians stating they keep PUC for their vehicle at the interval of 6 months because here in Delhi it is done at an interval of 3 months. I myself make sure that both of my cars have valid PUC without fail.
I do it for both the reasons for myself and to avoid the fine because this is the only one which have the highest margin for the cops. Rs. 1000 is the fine here for not having a valid PUC so depending upon the vehicle or customer they negotiate their bribe. I agree with Viraat that they will inquire about the "Pollushaan" first and after that the DL and Insurance follow. I have also been through such situations many times but after seeing all the papers intact the look on the face of cop is priceless. One or two times a shameless cop has even said that "Sir kuch kharcha pani to de do" (Give me some money or tip) and I was like finally I had to give him some nonsense reason to somehow get rid of him.
Old 27th September 2013, 13:33   #56
BHPian

I'd second that. While the PUC certificate issued at Noida state that it is valid for six month, a stamp prominently announces that it is valid for 3 months in Delhi.

It might be a subject to debate, however, in my personal opinion, I believe that being a responsible car owner, I should get it checked at the designated intervals. And I do get it done every three months.
Old 27th September 2013, 13:56   #57
BHPian

Yes, I always get pollution checked 2-3 days prior to the expiry date of Pollution Under Control certificate.

In NCR, you get 2 certificates when PUC is checked. One for U.P. which is valid for 6 months and second for Delhi which is valid for 3 months.

-
SS
Old 27th September 2013, 14:35   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_K View Post

I've scanned through several replies, but there seems to be general confusion about the frequency of PUC renewal and the requirement. Even the transport department websites of various State Governments have conflicting information due to recent change in rules.

I'm citing relevant rules of law and the sources here, so that there is clarity and if you are stopped or harassed by a cop, you may quote the exact rules.

PUC is required FOR EVERY MOTOR VEHICLE under Rule 115 (7) of Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989. That means, irrespective of which State you are in, you need to carry one, whether the local Police is implementing it or not.

Recently, new rules came into effect. Here's the summary of the rules in force:

- Up to 1 year from the date of registration of a vehicle, you don't need a PUC.

- All vehicles need to get a PUC after the expiry of the 1 year period

- For BS-IV vehicles, PUC is valid for 1 year

- All other vehicles need to renew their PUC every 6 months

Some State websites mention 3 months, but they can't make those rules. Each PUC is valid for 6 months (or 12 m for BSIV), and you have the right to dispute the local rules.

Hope this helps!

Sources:
1. Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989 Rule 115
2. Official Gazette - CMV Amendment Rules, 2012 introducing one year validity for PUC of BS-IV vehicles
3. Newspaper article announcing the rules
Thanks, that's quite informative. But there seems to be no mention of PUC norms for 2 wheelers. Any idea about that?

Also, the gazette PDF says that PUC certificate for BS4 vehicles is valid for one year. But you still need a PUC certificate for a new vehicle, isn't it?
Old 27th September 2013, 15:26   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_K View Post
Turns out you can't dispute on the street with a traffic cop, since it is enacted in certain states already. Apologies for the misleading statement.
Old 27th September 2013, 16:37   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to see the heated debate w.r.t. this poll.

I may be a naive person but I am saddened to see the ~18% non compliance and the comments defending the same!

GTO will correct me if I am wrong, but I presume we are a pretty highly educated, politically aware of Indian and global developments and aspirational requirements (pollution, global warming etc.), vocal about our PoV and reasonable opinion-makers, generally cosmopolitan & urban/semi-urban, quite web-savvy and definitely owners of multiple vehicles.

If I extrapolate to the 'normal' janata, this will double if not worse.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks