Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you have a valid PUC certificate for your vehicle(s)?
Yes 309 79.03%
No 82 20.97%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 15:45   #91
BHPian

Re: Poll: Do you have a valid PUC certificate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Authorities of all states should come with more effective ways to ensure that test equipment is in good condition.
And properly calibrated! My 300E needs an exhaust gas analyser for fine tuning the fuel/air mixture, but it is really difficult to find an accurate and consistent testing centre.
Old 1st October 2013, 15:57   #92
Senior - BHPian

I always ensure to have a valid PUC certificate in my car & Bike. More often the traffic police just check your driving license & PUC & let you go.

I have a habit of keeping reminders in my mobile phone for PUC certificate expiry, so that I do not miss the deadline.

Though many times I feel the PUC checking machines are not well maintained & the reading they throw are not accurate. Recently I was surprised to see a PUC vendor handing over PUC certificate to me without actually checking the results.

Thanks,
Old 1st October 2013, 20:25   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
And properly calibrated! My 300E needs an exhaust gas analyser for fine tuning the fuel/air mixture, but it is really difficult to find an accurate and consistent testing centre.
Exactly what I wanted to say. Anyways PUC Certificate is required to escape from traffic cops who are ready with challan. So we need to get it irrespective of it's authenticity.
Old 3rd October 2013, 13:10   #94

I always have a valid PUC certificate. The last time I got it in Chennai, the issuing guy asked if I am taking the car to the RTO for something. He said people get the certificate only when they need to take the vehicle to the RTO.
Old 5th October 2013, 00:41   #95
BHPian

Whether it helps reduce pollution or not, I do his religiously and get it renewed every 6 months. The major reason being I don't want to be caught on the wrong side of law on such a trivial thing and also to make sure things are under control. I never had to face a situation yet with any of my cars where the emission test failed, may be because all services are done on time or so, but I doubt the correctness of the results.
Old 9th October 2013, 19:58   #96
Senior - BHPian

Any PUC centre near Sarjapur Road/Bellandur?

I need to get an updated certificate tomorrow before I go out of state on Friday. Can someone recommend a centre?
Old 9th October 2013, 20:20   #97
BHPian

Re: Any PUC centre near Sarjapur Road/Bellandur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I need to get an updated certificate tomorrow before I go out of state on Friday. Can someone recommend a centre?
Most petrol pumps have emission testing centers.

Here is a list of centers. Drive down to the nearest in your area.
http://rto.kar.nic.in/lIST%20OF%20ETC.htm

For list of centers in Karnataka other than Bangalore visit: http://rto.kar.nic.in/airpollutioncss.html

Last edited by HillMan : 9th October 2013 at 20:27.
Old 9th October 2013, 20:35   #98
BHPian

I have PUC for my cars. it is a rule that need to be followed.
Old 9th October 2013, 21:55   #99
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I do have one for all my vehicles right now. But I do not like the fact that we need to check for puc every 6 months. It is a money making enterprise and nothing more. One can get a puc certificate for any vehicle irrespective of the condition of the engine at times even without any real checkup.

The charges to have gone up over the years for no real reason.

It should be a once a year matter.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 00:25   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
It is a money making enterprise and nothing more.
It works like a silent money minting setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
One can get a puc certificate for any vehicle irrespective of the condition of the engine at times even without any real checkup.
Even vehicles that pollute to the core pass the test. Bluish-white smoke emitting autos, scooters and trucks have a valid PUC. It just beats the whole point and governing law.

PS: How many of you have been asked to revv the engine hard while the prob check is in progress? Three days back when I went for the check up the first 1 min was idle but after that he asked me to revv for which I disagreed and completed the test.

Any use of the high revv while the test is in progress?

Anurag.
Old 10th October 2013, 10:06   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Generally I have never been asked to rev while testing. May be his readings were too low to believe so he must have asked to rev to get better readings.

I used to have this situation with my LPG converted Matiz, when I used to forget to switch to petrol before the test.
Old 10th October 2013, 13:13   #102
Senior - BHPian

There is money to be made in adherence too!

Dilli is pretty much smoke free, buses and autos on CNG, two wheelers spewing smoke are very much a rarity and that too mostly towards the outlying areas, even there the offending numbers are minor say 1 in a 1000. In fact it is a rare site to see smoke coming out of the trucks criss crossing the city at night even when they are trundling up the flyovers. Earlier an outing in the city meant a fine layer of soot accumulation all over. It would be safe to assume that there is 95%+ adherence to pollution norms here.

Revving is a part of the test wherein they try to stimulate driving conditions by having us rev the engine to nearly 3000 revs and holding it there for almost a minute. All of the PUC centres here ask for the same as the test is not complete without the readings at the stipulated RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It works like a silent money minting setup.

Even vehicles that pollute to the core pass the test. Bluish-white smoke emitting autos, scooters and trucks have a valid PUC. It just beats the whole point and governing law.

PS: How many of you have been asked to revv the engine hard while the prob check is in progress? Three days back when I went for the check up the first 1 min was idle but after that he asked me to revv for which I disagreed and completed the test.

Anurag.
Old 13th October 2013, 12:41   #103
BHPian

The whole PUC thing is just a revenue maker.
The right thing would be for cops to check the vehicles whenever they want - just as they do for inebriated driving.
They currently don't expect us to carry a certificate for our blood alcohol levels, do they?
Old 14th October 2013, 12:03   #104
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
They currently don't expect us to carry a certificate for our blood alcohol levels, do they?
After a while later they'll ask us to carry the blood test with fitness report.

Anurag.
Old 11th November 2013, 12:25   #105
BHPian

Earlier a PUC test involved only inserting the tube to the the exhaust pipe, but now here in kerala it involves three steps.

1. Inserting the tube to the exhaust pipe.
2. Connecting two terminals to the battery of the vehicle.
3. Inserting a guage in the Engine oil dipstick pipe. They say it is to check the temperature.

The guy at the PUC centre told me they need to check temperature with varying rpm. This is the procedure to be followed in case of new pollution checking machines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks