Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you have a valid PUC certificate for your vehicle(s)?
Yes 309 79.03%
No 82 20.97%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 14:57   #16
BANNED

I check and renew the PUC certificate every 6 months. I do this not for the law but for my satisfaction.

Here in Hyderabad the local traffic police have a tie-up with a PUC checking guys, what the police do is, they stop and check for all documents. Some definitely don't have this certificate so the owner gets it done to save the fine+bribe. Now both are happy. Understanding is clear between the police and certificate issuing guy (50-50). Believe me till date I have never seen one report to be original. Just a standard set of numbers within the prescribed limits is entered and printed. I feel this is just another way to make money.

I know my car doesn't pollute but I follow the rules set whether I feel it is OK or NO. I get the test done religiously to check on the emissions pattern over a period of time. The PUC guys have a puzzled look when I ask them for a honest report. Normally it takes 1-2 minutes for a report to be generated (Fake) but the original one takes around 3-4 minutes.

Anurag.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:57   #17
BHPian

Re: Poll: Do you have a valid PUC certificate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post

By your logic, as long as you think you can drive properly you dont need to have a driving license with you. Not having a driving license on you does not mean that you dont know how to drive. But how are the cops supposed to know whether you do actually know how to drive properly or not??
Well Said! Having a PUC certificate and knowing vehicle does not pollute are not mutually exclusive. CMVR probably has some clause about authorities being able to retest vehicles in spite of having PUC certificate, if they feel vehicle still pollutes.

Regardless, if it is the law, there is ideally no two things about it.
Old 25th September 2013, 15:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yes I regularly get my vehicle PUC tested every 6 months.
Also I ensure I got to test centre which is working and does not mearly copy the old values.
1. Keep my concious clean of not polluting.
2. Gives me a quick dip stick test of health of engine and exhaust system
just in 15 minutes and 100 Rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
PUC for less than 5 year old vehicles is overkill. After 5 years, PUC once a year is fine. But PUC every 6 months doesn't make sense. It is just a good law killed by bad implementation.
Why exactly ? A badly maintained vehicle even if 1 year will pollute
Anyway when I compare measure values with the benchmark I feel even in
BSIII and BS4 values are too lenient .

Quote:
BTW, what if a vehicle fails PUC test? Should owner take it off the road? Will the PUC agency inform RTO/Police? Can the service center fix something to make it pass PUC?
Owner should get the vehicle serviced so that it meets the test parameter again. However I do not think PUC agency is informing to RTO but I think there should be a law to make them report.

For Bangalore folks : Some PUC test centres which give honest report for Diesel vehicles are as follows.
1. Shankar & Sons petrol pump Jeevan Beema Nagar.
2.IOC Petrol pump Jeevan Beema Nagar.
3. IOC Petrol Pump , 100 feet Road Koramangala ( near Sony world).

PUC Centre with fake reporting so should be avoided.

4. IOC petrol pump opposite to Regional Passport office Koramangala.

Last edited by amitk26 : 25th September 2013 at 15:24.
Old 25th September 2013, 15:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I don't have a valid PUC certificate and don't intend to get one. Because I know my car is in a good condition mechanically. If, for some reason, it starts polluting suddenly, it means the car is not burning petrol efficiently. If that happens, I'll get to know that very soon - because I always keep an eye on the mileage.

Of course, the biggest reason why I don't intend to have a valid PUC certificate is that, in Bangalore, traffic cops rarely stop cars for checking documents/license etc. Even if they do stop you (for say, jumping a traffic signal), they never bother asking for PUC certificate.

The only time I get a PUC check done is when I've to go out of state.
Agreed, Bharat Stage 2 onwards PUC certificates make no sense, unless some-one has tinkered with the engine internals/not changed air/fuel/oil filters on time.

However, it is prudent to be practical. A PUC certificate for petrol engined vehicles cost Rs. 80 and for diesel engined vehicles cost Rs. 100.

If I am not mistaken, the fine for NOT having a PUC certificate is Rs. 500. Hence the simple philosophy of "Better safe than sorry" is applicable here!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 15:22   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
However, it is prudent to be practical. A PUC certificate for petrol engined vehicles cost Rs. 80 and for diesel engined vehicles cost Rs. 100.
This may be state dependent. In our city, PUC for 2 wheelers is Rs. 50 and for petrol 4 wheelers is Rs. 60/-. DOn't know about diesels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
If I am not mistaken, the fine for NOT having a PUC certificate is Rs. 500. Hence the simple philosophy of "Better safe than sorry" is applicable here!
The fine for not having PUC is probably Rs. 990/-
Old 25th September 2013, 15:47   #21
BHPian

PUC certificate is mandatory here in Hyderabad at all routine police stops. I check my papers once in a while and if I find it expired I get it done as soon as possible. This is to avoid being in a situation that requires me to plead with cops and it also saves my time.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 16:00   #22
BHPian

Voted NO.
Chennai cops do not check PUC certificate. Also what I understand is law has yet not made it compulsary yet.

But yes, when i was in Mumbai/Pune, I used to religiously get a certificate before expiry
Old 25th September 2013, 16:05   #23
BHPian

Well I used to religiously get the PUC done when I owned the M800 till 3 years back. Since the FIGO has come I have not done it

However I want to really question the validity and need of the PUC in today's cars and practically I have not seen cops checking the PUC certificate as well!
Old 25th September 2013, 16:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
A badly maintained vehicle even if 1 year will pollute
Assuming no modification is done to engine & exhaust, however you maintain, is it possible to fail PUC test in 1 year?
Old 25th September 2013, 16:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have PUC certificate (every 6 months) only for one reason:
Traffic police.

Of course if I can chance upon making fake ones, I will not hesitate to do so - since I know the futility of such "Pollution Under Control" stickers, whenever I turn my head around and see auto rickshaws, goods carriers and buses.

Last edited by alpha1 : 25th September 2013 at 16:15.
Old 25th September 2013, 16:29   #26
BHPian

PUC certificate for these new gen vehicles less than 3-4 years old is a bit of overkill. Still have to follow this as it is enforced by law.

What frustrates me is the fact that many of autos and load carrier vehicles (trucks, small lorries, BMTC buses) visibly pollute so much but NO ONE questions them. 20% autos in Bangalore exhale puffs of white smoke all the time.
Old 25th September 2013, 16:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

What if the PUC Center issue one without actually checking the vehicle's exhaust gases?

In my city, there are some centers which issue you a PUC Certificate by taking Rs.100/- and even without checking the vehicle?
When asked they reply "Sir, who is going to know whether this Certificate is True or not?

Where to report these scams?

Hence I did not vote in this poll.
Old 25th September 2013, 16:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Assuming no modification is done to engine & exhaust, however you maintain, is it possible to fail PUC test in 1 year?
Yes clogged air filter + adulterated fuel + water in fuel can surely cause PUC to fail. Though people do take care of their vehicles generally because financial hit of engine damage is too big.

FYI Auto-rikshaw also need to follow PUC norms but autos drivers mostly take them on daily rent so they have no incentive to maintain them and they manage to make the vehicle belch white smoke with in few days.

Most Autos in Bangalore at-least are owned by policeman and they have divided areas so they never attract fines and auto drivers refuse to take passenger to places outside their area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Well I used to religiously get the PUC done when I owned the M800 till 3 years back. Since the FIGO has come I have not done it

However I want to really question the validity and need of the PUC in today's cars and practically I have not seen cops checking the PUC certificate as well!
Look at the PUC values in emission certificate they are different for BS4, BS3, BS2 and pre BS levels.

The emission value of Euro 4 is far lower then Euro 3. So a Euro 4 vehicle may be less polluting then Euro 2 but still may fail the Euro 4 standard.
Old 25th September 2013, 17:23   #29
BHPian

My experience has been very strange with PUC.

Every time I got it done on my w124 e220, the reading comes nearly zero, then the PUC guy asks me to rev even more so that he gets a higher reading and it appears to be genuine

I got it done at COCO pump in bkc, which I think should be a reliable setup.
Old 25th September 2013, 17:30   #30

I dont know much about emmission norms. I was fined (in Indian terms) once for lack of PUC. Since then I have made it a point to renew it for each of my vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks