Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you have a valid PUC certificate for your vehicle(s)?
Yes 309 79.03%
No 82 20.97%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 11:21   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Poll: Do you have a valid PUC certificate?

Related Thread

This quick poll to check whether you have a valid Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate for your vehicle.

Now, I have always religiously renewed both my diesel cars' PUCs here in Bangalore.

However, I remain amazed to find the relative lack of PUC centres and even more so, those which cater to diesels. This is in Bangalore which is home to a humongous number of diesel vehicles, both private and commercial.

Further spoke to various office colleagues plus neighbours and realized that very few people are aware that they have to procure a fresh PUC after a car is a year old and six-monthly after that. In fact, some of these 'educated' crowd vehemently argued that the six month rule has been rescinded a long time back.

Please respond to the poll. Will be interesting to see the results!

Last edited by GTO : 25th September 2013 at 13:25. Reason: Adding a related thread. Thanks!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 11:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Poll: Do you have a valid PUC certificate?

I have it valid till end of this year. I get the same renewed every time I go for a service. which is 6-8 months duration. I rarely see cars failing pollution test. In my view the government should mandate PUC and have rigorous checks to ensure all our commercial vehicles are not polluting the air around us. They are the main culprits.
DieselFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 12:00   #3
BHPian

The entire PUC mechanism is a scam.. PUC testing centre licenses are given to cronies of RTO heads.. then traffic police take cuts from them..

Entire mechanism needs to be changed to something different & also have different measures for different types of vehicles.

Someone should petition the Govt for this.
Old 25th September 2013, 12:27   #4
BHPian

Voted Yes. Because it is the law to have it done for your vehicles.

Never mind the fact that traffic cops will not check for insurance or proof of vehicle ownership or busted lights or any of the other 1000 things that could make the vehicle unsafe for others.
Old 25th September 2013, 12:37   #5
Team-BHP Support

I don't have a valid PUC certificate and don't intend to get one. Because I know my car is in a good condition mechanically. If, for some reason, it starts polluting suddenly, it means the car is not burning petrol efficiently. If that happens, I'll get to know that very soon - because I always keep an eye on the mileage.

Of course, the biggest reason why I don't intend to have a valid PUC certificate is that, in Bangalore, traffic cops rarely stop cars for checking documents/license etc. Even if they do stop you (for say, jumping a traffic signal), they never bother asking for PUC certificate.

The only time I get a PUC check done is when I've to go out of state.
Old 25th September 2013, 12:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Generally PUC is the last thing cops check. So many people dont actually get it done.

I too got my first PUC just before I left on an out of state trip. But after that the pollution check center generally reminds me via SMS and phone call a week before the certificate is about to expire. As the center is located in the premises of petrol pump that I usually fill up at and it cost 50rs to get it done, my car now always has a valid PUC.
Old 25th September 2013, 13:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I don't have a valid PUC certificate and don't intend to get one. Because I know my car is in a good condition mechanically. If, for some reason, it starts polluting suddenly, it means the car is not burning petrol efficiently. If that happens, I'll get to know that very soon - because I always keep an eye on the mileage.

Of course, the biggest reason why I don't intend to have a valid PUC certificate is that, in Bangalore, traffic cops rarely stop cars for checking documents/license etc. Even if they do stop you (for say, jumping a traffic signal), they never bother asking for PUC certificate.
Surprising that you never opt for a PUC which according to the CMVR Act is legally required. The traffic cops not checking PUC doesnt mean you shouldnt want to get one. Its a legal requirement to have one in your vehicle.

Quote:
After the expiry of a period of one year from the date on which the motor vehicle was first registered, every such vehicle shall carry a valid "Pollution under control" certificate issued by an agency authorised for this purpose by the State Government.validity of the certificate shall be for [six months] and the certificate shall always be carried in the vehicle and produced on demand by the officers referred to in sub-rule (1) of rule 116

Old 25th September 2013, 13:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Surprising that you never opt for a PUC which according to the CMVR Act is legally required. The traffic cops not checking PUC doesnt mean you shouldnt want to get one. Its a legal requirement to have one in your vehicle.
The law doesn't make sense. I choose to ignore silly laws, as a personal choice because choosing to do so is harmless. As an analogy, its like doing 66 kmph in a "60 kmph" speed limit zone.

As I mentioned before, I'll know if my well maintained car has started emitting more than limit - by keeping an eye on the mileage.

Laws change all the time. There were lots of illogical laws 30 years back (which are no longer in force), and make no mistake, officials will continue to churn out laws that don't make sense. Just a couple of years back, in Bangalore, traffic cops insisted on driving within headlamps OFF, and using only the parking lights!
Old 25th September 2013, 13:51   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

In fact, PUC is the most sought after documents by the traffic police in many places. They ask for licence and registration later. This is because many people either ignore the idea of getting a PUC or forget that the current PUC has expired. The fine for not having a valid PUC is Rs. 990/-, hence cops have pretty good leverage margin to milk the offenders.

I put up reminders in my mobile phone at least 3 days before the current PUC expires, so that I can get a new PUC.

In our place, PUC is not required to be 'obtained'; just purchased for Rs. 50/- for 2 wheelers & Rs. 60/-for 4 wheelers. You even don't have to take your vehicle to the test center. They can issue you one just against the registration number of your vehicle. Imagine the purpose...just some revenue to Govt. and cops, nothing else. The original purpose is never considered.

For those who don't know, a new vehicle out from the showroom comes with a PUC from the manufacturer which is valid for 1 year. Later you have to get new PUCs which are valid for 6 months there after.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 14:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

I regularly got the PUC done for my bike when I was at Bangalore. I continued it for a few more years after returning to chennai. I got it done for the car too after the first year service. But I have stopped going to the centres for the past few years, as nobody checks you for these certificates in Chennai.

However, I always keep my vehicles in perfect condition and am sure they don't pollute. If they do start checking, I can get it done in a jiffy and they will sail through easily.

I am not sure of the efficacy of the testing though. they check only while idling.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The law doesn't make sense. I choose to ignore silly laws, as a personal choice because choosing to do so is harmless. As an analogy, its like doing 66 kmph in a "60 kmph" speed limit zone.

As I mentioned before, I'll know if my well maintained car has started emitting more than limit - by keeping an eye on the mileage.

Laws change all the time. There were lots of illogical laws 30 years back (which are no longer in force), and make no mistake, officials will continue to churn out laws that don't make sense. Just a couple of years back, in Bangalore, traffic cops insisted on driving within headlamps OFF, and using only the parking lights!
How does it the law not make sense??

The PUC shows that you are maintaining your car in decent enough shape so that it doesnt pollute the environment too much.

If you dont have a PUC how is any verifying authority supposed to know whether your car is meeting the norms or not.

I am not saying that if your car does not have a valid PUC, your car must be polluting the environment. But how are the cops supposed to know that??

By your logic, as long as you think you can drive properly you dont need to have a driving license with you. Not having a driving license on you does not mean that you dont know how to drive. But how are the cops supposed to know whether you do actually know how to drive properly or not??
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 14:30   #12
BHPian

I don't get it done unless I travel out of the state, more so because I have felt it a farce and only the person running that centre makes money.

I learnt for Diesel vehicles now it is stricter and once you go to a centre ( which are very few for diesel) once you give your registration number it gives the name of the owner. Now they have an updated system online, so I guess for diesel vehicles they can't fake it like the past without doing the actual test.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Second that! Why do we think it is important to obey a law just for the sake of it, without even questioning it?! PUC check every 6 months - does it even make sense. Does any car go down so badly in 6 months. Let them stop the public buses first. The cops dont catch you, even the 'mamool' ones, because they have better work to do than implement silly rules.

Coming to the question, I think it's important to have a non polluting vehicle than a valid PUC certificate. I don't mind getting one at reasonable intervals though, but certainly don't feel guilty about not having one. So, do I have a non polluting vehicle - YES. A PUC certificate - NO.

PS: I am yet to remove sun film in my vehicle for the same reason.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

PUC for less than 5 year old vehicles is overkill. After 5 years, PUC once a year is fine. But PUC every 6 months doesn't make sense. It is just a good law killed by bad implementation.

BTW, what if a vehicle fails PUC test? Should owner take it off the road? Will the PUC agency inform RTO/Police? Can the service center fix something to make it pass PUC?
Old 25th September 2013, 14:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
PS: I am yet to remove sun film in my vehicle for the same reason.
Me too, and I don't intend to, until I am caught and they tear it off! I am rather enjoying the cat and mouse game!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks