Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you have a valid PUC certificate for your vehicle(s)?
Yes 309 79.03%
No 82 20.97%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2013, 12:56   #76
BHPian

Re: Poll: Do you have a valid PUC certificate?

In Chennai, I don't know even if such centres exist and hence voted "No"

Why can't the government make it mandatory for each and every workshop to have a PUC checking machine ? or get affiliated to one that has. This will simplify the process and every car that goes for regular service will have a PUC certificate. That 50 or 100 rupees will become part of the bill and will be a hassle free experience.

This is akin to asking public to shun plastic bags less than 20 (or whatsoever) microns, instead of asking the manufacturers to stop producing the same.
Old 29th September 2013, 23:13   #77
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Gurgaon : The PUC was renewed every three months. Apart from the law, the PUC gives a good idea about the condition of the vehicle. I used to get it done from BP Sect-44 pump. Haryana has a 6 month rule, Delhi has a 3 month rule. The PUC was the first thing that was checked by the cops.

Pune: I had to ask the guy to insert the sensor. When I asked about the lambda, he asked " wo kya hota hai". I still get it done every three months from the HP pump opposite GPO. I would love to get a lambda reading also. BTW, Maharashtra has a 6 month rule. BTW, for a 8 year old, the esteem is still giving good readings.

I would not comment on the validity or applicability of the rule ; I do it simply to follow the law.
Old 30th September 2013, 09:28   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
PUC has nothing to do with year of manufacturing. In a testing center they input the year of manufacturing and type of vehicle. Based on this info the qualifying emission scores are set. Your vehicle than us tested against those parameters.
Agreed! But its because of this silly law that says unless one does not have BS4 mentioned in the RC. No PUC certification in Delhi.
Old 30th September 2013, 10:16   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
In Chennai, I don't know even if such centres exist and hence voted "No"
. PUC centres are ubiquitous in Mumbai since at least the mid-90s. Typically you'll find them at a petrol pump. Mobile PUC centres also operate out of little Omni vans that you find all over. Am really surprised to hear someone say they haven't seen any in Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
That scenario is unthinkable in Dilli, not just now but in the past too.... unless I am missing the jest behind that remark.
I think the national capital is a little more serious about PUC enforcement that other cities. The incident where a blank certificate was handed to me was in Bangalore about 7-8 years ago so things may have changed now. But even in Mumbai-Pune area, the general consensus seems to be that PUC certification is a necessary evil and you don't sweat it oo much, just get it done and keep the certificate handy in case some hyper-vigilant cop catches you.
Old 30th September 2013, 11:25   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshaft tunes View Post

Agreed! But its because of this silly law that says unless one does not have BS4 mentioned in the RC. No PUC certification in Delhi.
which means effectively pre BS IV vehicles are not supposed to ply in Delhi.

So what do they do with vintage vehicles and earlier models registered in Delhi?
Old 30th September 2013, 11:40   #81
Senior - BHPian

For the last 5 years, I do not keep a valid PUC certificate. Reason? I am too lazy to check for its expiry and renew it from time to time.

There's nobody checking whether you have a valid PUC certificate in this locality anyway.

PUC certificate is useless for the purpose it is implemented for.

Last edited by clevermax : 30th September 2013 at 11:43.
Old 30th September 2013, 15:08   #82
BHPian

Quote:
which means effectively pre BS IV vehicles are not supposed to ply in Delhi.

So what do they do with vintage vehicles and earlier models registered in Delhi?
Sorry, that is utter nonsense. There is no such rule. I have a 25 year old car with a valid PUC as of today. The older cars have different norms.
EDIT — 25 year old car WITH a Delhi registration.

I get the feeling that the PUC guy just gave an idiotic story so that he wouldn't have to check a diesel car. A lot of them are very fussy due to the extra time a diesel vehicle takes.

Last edited by Viraat13 : 30th September 2013 at 15:10.
Old 30th September 2013, 15:52   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
Why can't the government make it mandatory for each and every workshop to have a PUC checking machine ? or get affiliated to one that has. This will simplify the process and every car that goes for regular service will have a PUC certificate. That 50 or 100 rupees will become part of the bill and will be a hassle free experience.
Everytime I go for service, the service assistant always checks if I want PUC. This is at Magnum Honda.
Old 30th September 2013, 16:17   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I get the feeling that the PUC guy just gave an idiotic story so that he wouldn't have to check a diesel car. A lot of them are very fussy due to the extra time a diesel vehicle takes.
The equipment for Diesel is complicated with more sensors and expensive, not everyone has it. Petrol ones are common across, in Bangalore we have these at almost every Petrol Bunk.

As mentioned in my earlier post, thanks #Viraat for validating the same argument. The norms for vehicles emission is different for various year of manufacture. BS has nothing to do with the PUC.

It is only the sale and registration of vehicles that is restricted.
Old 30th September 2013, 16:41   #85
Senior - BHPian

There is no such rule, intact just this morning the PUC for our 2008 Swift was revalidated. Never once have I faced such an issue, suggest you try at a different centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshaft tunes View Post
Now, in Delhi, a new law has cropped up. It says that if the vehicle RC does not have BS4 mentioned in the "Vehicle name" row then one cannot get the PUC check done.
Old 30th September 2013, 18:10   #86
BHPian

Quote:
The equipment for Diesel is complicated with more sensors and expensive, not everyone has it. Petrol ones are common across, in Bangalore we have these at almost every Petrol Bunk.

As mentioned in my earlier post, thanks #Viraat for validating the same argument. The norms for vehicles emission is different for various year of manufacture. BS has nothing to do with the PUC.

It is only the sale and registration of vehicles that is restricted.
I don't think we have PUC centres which don't have the diesel testing equipment. I've always seen the rates of both written on the booth, which logically speaking means that they test both kinds of vehicles.

A lot of folks from Bangalore have mentioned some SMS system. What is that all about?
Old 30th September 2013, 18:18   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
A lot of folks from Bangalore have mentioned some SMS system. What is that all about?
The diesel testing needs oil temperature testing and couple more sensors not just the exhaust sample. So at least what I noticed around Bangalore, not all centers do it.

The SMS is based on the mobile number registered while doing the PUC. It is a centralized web based system. To reduce data entry errors, based on car number, the system pre-fills other details. It can be changed. This is only a confirmation that the test is done in a authorized center.

And No, you can not show the SMS to the Cops instead of the certificate

Last edited by HillMan : 30th September 2013 at 18:38.
HillMan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 21:52   #88
BHPian

I do keep a valid PUC certificate. In Pune, many vehicles have PUC certificate stuck to the windshield. The major problem is there is no guarantee that the values mentioned in the certificate are correct. In my opinion the PUC should be issued by car dealerships, at least they will maintain the equipments intact.
Old 30th September 2013, 22:31   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
In my opinion the PUC should be issued by car dealerships, at least they will maintain the equipments intact.
IMO, this will discourage aftermarket garages and testing centers, which is giving quite a number of employment out there.

The Karnataka implementation of centralized system is a way to go. That way spurious certificates can be restricted. The PUCC number can be cross verified by the authorities.

The dealership can be cancelled instantly, if found guilty of malpractice. The Govt., gets accurate count of vehicles. They can also derive statistics out of it.
Old 1st October 2013, 07:19   #90
BHPian

Quote:
IMO, this will discourage aftermarket garages and testing centers, which is giving quite a number of employment out there.
This aspect was there in my mind while I was typing my previous reply. But if the PUC Certificate does not serve it's basic purpose, what is the point in generating employment? Authorities of all states should come with more effective ways to ensure that test equipment is in good condition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks