Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 14:09   #316
Senior - BHPian

Hi
I have used and own both a replacement well as conical one on my carb 800.Had the replacment for over a year.I used to switch back to stock ones whenever i used to give the car for servicing.The diff in the sound and the drivablity was apparent on changing back to stock.

Switched to a conical in feb this year,frankly found the replacment filter would make the car sound louder than the conical.But the conical did improve torque much better.I would find the car a bit more peppier than before.Ofcourse some of you guys might
be thinking that's it all in the mind but i can feel the difference coz i am
drving my car for 12 years or so.

Anyways i think the k&N should complement the FFE and one should go only incase he has
the FFE.A filter alone might not do wonders :-)
Old 21st July 2009, 18:50   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
how about hair dryer test for K&N replacement filters.

blow the air on one side , cool air setting and analyse the flow on other side.
try the same with OEM filters. compare the resluts
Post your findings here
Air SHOULD NEVER BE blown on the filter, the dust will EMBED into the filter and find its way inside the chambers, K&N specially warn against this. While cleaning the filter they adivise to gently tap out the dust.

On a test / demo filter blowing air wold be OK.

As far as FE is concerned, IMO, there's no difference, yes the engine is surely more smoother and breaths easy too.

======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 21st July 2009 at 18:51.
Old 20th September 2009, 11:01   #318
BHPian

I have a silly question. Please pardon me if my question is irrelevant.

Ques: If K&N filters (other performance filters) give better performance & mileage, why dont auto (car) manufacturers like Hyundai/Honda/M&M etc., not adopt the same filters/technology as stocks?

Are there any disadvantages of fitting these filters on new/stock vehicles?

I am sure these manufacturers can sell more cars if they advertise that their cars come with stock performance filters similar to K&N which can give more mileage and performance!

Last edited by MutantX : 20th September 2009 at 11:03.
Old 20th September 2009, 12:29   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Are there any disadvantages of fitting these filters on new/stock vehicles?
It would cost a lot ! and for most of the people it is simply not necessary.
We are in a era where in companies are finding easier design of wiper in order to cut costs.
Old 20th September 2009, 14:04   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
It would cost a lot ! and for most of the people it is simply not necessary.
We are in a era where in companies are finding easier design of wiper in order to cut costs.
Cost a lot? i guess it would cost totally 10k which can be easily absorbed with the total cost for building the vechile. I am sure all companies know how that needs to be done. Increase in power & FE will drive the sales by significant percentage!

Why dont the manufacturers replace their paper filters with custom made (K&N like) filters that I am sure would boost the sales.
Old 20th September 2009, 19:01   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Cost a lot? i guess it would cost totally 10k which can be easily absorbed with the total cost for building the vechile. I am sure all companies know how that needs to be done. Increase in power & FE will drive the sales by significant percentage!

Why dont the manufacturers replace their paper filters with custom made (K&N like) filters that I am sure would boost the sales.
Well search the forum and you will find thread, there is a paper saying there is not significant improvement in the fuel efficiency with the stock replacement filters. Hope that reading that explain a lot. In fact K&N website doesn't make any claims about the fuel efficiency, and it has been proved that normal paper filters are quiet effective in doing their job and at the right price. Infact now a days OEM paper filter manufacturers are also competitive enough.

If you want real performance you would have to go to something like Typhoon kits and just check the costs of them.
Old 20th September 2009, 19:10   #322
BHPian

hi, even on this forum there are many users who feel that such performance filters seldom attribute to even minutest of gains. Some people just go for the growl.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the stock air box, it is optimum for the car . Also, not many buyers of the car would want such filters and hence may not pay a bit extra for such filters.

Old 20th September 2009, 20:35   #323
BHPian

Interesting and elementary i guess everything boils down to the psychological factor.
Old 21st September 2009, 12:44   #324

Stock Air Filter Has Thick Pores. It filters all the fine particles of Dust there by keeping your engine clean which enable the manufacturer giving your guarantee for 3lakh kms or more. When you use K&N or Green Cotton Filter you get increased power as the air flow to the combustion chamber is increased. Using K&N does not affect your car’s mileage but if you rev up your car, then mileage drops drastically. Using K&N and other Performance Filters has the power advantage but the disadvantage is you need clean your Throttle body and Spark plug more often than usual.

I have heard from my friends who have used K&N to replace their original Filter only and they all have said there is drop in mileage. I have full K&N set with the Piping etc. I don’t have the drop in Mileage. Can someone explain why? I don’t understand how this works.
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:26   #325
Senior - BHPian

Here a coulple of K&N related videos from you tube.

Love the Alto's sound.

Enjoy
Old 23rd September 2009, 01:21   #326
Senior - BHPian

I have a K&N stock replacement in my Getz CRDi for about two weeks now. Being a diesel, the clatter is now more pronounced, and at idle it is being more of a pain. Planning to plug-in the stock filters, atleast to make sure the sound is not from my head!

One quick advice to all diesel mill owners- trial it before buying
Old 29th September 2009, 19:48   #327
BHPian

I have a NHC ZX and was thinking of changing the stock airfilter to green storm with CAI, but having read thru numerous post, green strom is recommended for 100bhp and above cars.
My question here is:

A) Will green strom with CAI kit suit NHC ZX.

B) If not the above filter, whats the next best filter suited for ZX.

If any of TBHP friends have installed a filter (not stock) on NHC ZX could pls post their reviews after installation with pics would be added advantage.

cheers!!
Old 5th November 2009, 02:16   #328
BHPian

I am about to install a K&N Universal filter in my Maruti Alto. After going through all the posts I have come out to a conclusion. Pro's please advise on this

Stock Replacement Filter:

Pros
1. Direct fitment
2. No warranty issues
3. Engine breathes cold air (Since the filter is in a box)
4. Less maintainence as compared to Conical ones.
5. Lesser in cost

Cons
1. Less improvement in pickup, power than universal filter
2. Lack of growl music at higher RPM's
3. Almost no improvement in FE

Universal (Conical) Filter

Pros.
1. Improved Performance in terms of pickup, FE.
2. Better breathing for Engine that SRF.
3. Growl Music
4. Looks cool.

Cons:
1. Heavier on pockets
2. More maintainence as compared to SRF.
3. Sucks hot air from Engine Bay
4. Can end your warrenty (Still manageable)

Though as comparison made by me, Stock Replacement wins the game. Please do add some more points to it if I missed some.
But I am still inclined towards a Universal Conical Filter.

Also, what advantages or disadvantages will be there if I fit a bigger filter into a small engine like the Alto's... e.g like fitting a RC 4550 instead of RU 3570.. please suggest me the correct part number..
911turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2009, 08:37   #329
Senior - BHPian

From my experience buying a stock replacement filter is best option in case you want better response at higher rpm. there is no other advantage.
Added disadvantage due to this is oil will have to be changed more frequently than the normal schedule. spark plug will have to be cleaned frequently.
If you are buying conical do not leave it open in engine bay. use full kit and route cold air from the side.
Old 5th November 2009, 17:46   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Hi,

I got my K&N replacement filter few weeks back on my MPFI Esteem.

i have to say the car feels definitely more responsive and is very very quick.

Reaching 100kmph is a breeze... takes only few seconds... Initial acceleration has obviously increased and so has the top end speed.

Also in city driving conditions I can easily drive at 1000 rpm at 30kmph on 4th gear with no knocking. (I also use xtra premium petrol which helps reduce knocking).

So with better airflow, acceleration increased, so has the FE, as you shift to a higher gear much quicker and frequent shifting is minimal.

For figures sake my FE has increased at least by 1 or 2kmpl (minimum). Will post the actual figures soon.

So rest your horses and please go get a K&N.

Fact: I didn't tell my dad about this until after the i got the filter. After i got the filter i told my dad and asked him to drive the car.

Upon driving, he asked me if i just changed the filter or did i even get some work on the engine as it was very responsive. :-)

Here's what you all can do if you want to try the K&N and have doubts.

Get the filter fixed and go for a trial. Drive normally... Dont push the car.... drive normally and you can see the difference.

Try it... Let me know.

Hi... I am planning on installing one this saturday on my 2005 MPFi Esteem. Let me know on which filter you installed. I have been recommended the K&N RC 4550 filter. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks