Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 10:38   #301
Senior - BHPian

Hai Air Box Gurus,

Have gone through the maze of information, lots of interesting views and facts on AIR

Well...... I've put in a replacement K&N filter for my Scorpio CRDE on a trial basis, the 7 day period runs out in 3 more days. I need help as only a couple of people have discussed the Scorp issues here, the cost would be 4450/-

The Joy:
1. The truck surely breaths better.
2. Rolls more smoothly, earlier needed careful coaxing of gears in city traffic.
3. Can roll more now without downshifting.
4. Overall great feeling.

My worries:
1. More dust finding its way ultimately into the chamber.
2. Some moron in the ASC or other service stations blowing the air compressor into the filter.
3. They have just replaced the old paper filter with the K&N into the stock housing; acommodated the bigger K&N with spacers and sealed the unit with a compound. Worried about leakages here and dust goingin.
4. At a later stage when they service the filter, how to be sure they're using the right oil to coat it, how to be sure the oil will not find its way into the sensers?

I know point No.4 is way off down the future, but I need to consider it while making a decision.

Thanks a lot of your inputs.

--Ramky
=====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 15th July 2009 at 10:40.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:54   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevciti View Post
Anyone know where to get the Recharger Kit here in Chennai. Searched a bit and noone seems to have it. The shop where I picked it up from wants 500 bucks just to clean and reoil it . Figured I'd rather do it myself. If only I can find some stock of the kit. Am running a replacement filter on my Xing. Any help would be much appreaciated. Thanks.
Auto Impex, on GP road, chennai. YOu find a lot of imported components for the cars . You get K&N filters and cleaning pack there. I have seen it during my previous visit. Its on your left, when you go from melody theatre, as soon as you take curve, on the left in a new complex.
Old 15th July 2009, 16:00   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
My worries:
1. More dust finding its way ultimately into the chamber.

--Ramky
=====
Check the Web for the Spicer report. Unofrtunately the original is not available any more. But the information is there on some sites still. K&N definitely was near the bottom of the league for allowing dust through.
Old 15th July 2009, 16:13   #304
BHPian

Do K&N filter void extended warranty. I am looking for my Getz.
What is the approx cost for this change
Old 15th July 2009, 19:31   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
A replacement filter should not void your warranty. AFAIK Maruti does not void warranty for using replacement filters. Check with your Hyundai dealer.
Old 15th July 2009, 22:33   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A K&N will void your warranty. If a part that's not OEM approved is fitted on your car and that aftermarket part is determined to be the cause of a related failure (especially airflow sensors etc), damage will not be claimable under warranty. If you are particular about warranty coverage do NOT change your air filter with an aftermarket part unless explicitly approved by the mfr.

PS - K&Ns cost 3-5k depending on the application while OEM filters are a fraction of the cost.

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th July 2009 at 22:35.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:33   #307
BHPian

aka_iitd,

I'd suggest you save your money. I've fitted a K&N conical filter to my Ikon, and it's made NO discernible difference to either the economy or the performance. All it's done is made the engine note a little louder... given it a little bit of a roar.

To me, K&Ns are a waste of money, and I wish I'd known this sooner. I understand if you'e doing some performance mods and need better breathing for the engine (for example, adding a Pete's chip or something)... but if you're not, I suggest you save your money. Just putting in a K&N replacement filter in your Getz is going to have NO benefit.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:17   #308
Senior - BHPian

Ultimately decided to keep the K&N for my CRDE Scorp filter as the driving experience is amazing.

I think I'll take the risk of some dust getting in (though it looks remote) after analyzing all the data available. World-wide millions of them are sold and the one I got looks genuine. Well... time will tell.

-------
Old 21st July 2009, 07:50   #309
BHPian

how about hair dryer test for K&N replacement filters.

blow the air on one side , cool air setting and analyse the flow on other side.
try the same with OEM filters. compare the resluts
Post your findings here
Old 21st July 2009, 10:35   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
aka_iitd,
To me, K&Ns are a waste of money, and I wish I'd known this sooner. I understand if you'e doing some performance mods and need better breathing for the engine

Just putting in a K&N replacement filter in your Getz is going to have NO benefit.
Not doing any performance mod. Just thought if my Getz can breathe better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
A K&N will void your warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
A replacement filter should not void your warranty. AFAIK Maruti does not void warranty for using replacement filters. Check with your Hyundai dealer.
Okay trident hyundai also had the same opinion. They said to go once warranty expires
Old 21st July 2009, 11:51   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Not doing any performance mod. Just thought if my Getz can breathe better.
Would still recommend you save your money. The 'better breathing' isn't going to translate into any noticeable increases in fuel economy or performance, trust me.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:19   #312
BHPian

I suppose such modifications are always a difficult choice. with none of the mfrs/tuners/car owners coming up with dyno results during every modification. The cost for this being one of the reason and if proven otherwise, would put some people out of business. This would actually help prove a few points/myths either to be true or false.

Meanwhile all suggestions, advise are purely based on individual experience or guess work. This, obviously would vary. As people, cars and their expectations differ.

I have gone for a K&N replacement and would always advise that. I somehow dont like the idea of taking out the air box and replacing with a conical. Monsoon...engine heat..few of my reasons..
Old 21st July 2009, 12:27   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Would still recommend you save your money. The 'better breathing' isn't going to translate into any noticeable increases in fuel economy or performance, trust me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
I have gone for a K&N replacement and would always advise that. I somehow dont like the idea of taking out the air box and replacing with a conical. Monsoon...engine heat..few of my reasons..
I was not considering the conical setup. More inclined to change the OEM filter with K&N if it is available for Getz. I don't want to go for modifications in my engine bay !
Cost of replacing the filter with K&N may not cost more with zero modification in the setup

Last edited by aka_iitd : 21st July 2009 at 12:29.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:41   #314
BHPian

I don't know if it allows more dust through but one thing is for sure. It DOES improve performance. And noticeably at that.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:48   #315
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saving my money, is what I did. I wanted to go in for a K&N OEM replacement filter for my Alto last year, but decided against it after reading this thread and also talking to Alto and other car owners who had used the filter for ~ 40K kms on their vehicles.

Almost all of them reported no increase in overall FE on switching to K&N after running on the OEM filter for the first 10-15K kms.

Bottomline, a K&N with a CAI might bring about a noticeable difference in performance, but stock replacement filters are not worth the investment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks