Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:25   #181
BHPian

There are many type of K&N Universal filters like Round Straight, Cone, Oval Straight, Oval Tapered, XStream and many more. Which one of this filters gives maximum performance for Swift. I want to change my filters with K&N. Please advice
Old 19th August 2007, 23:01   #182
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfx View Post
guys with k&n in your lancers please provide feedback please. I am planing on gettin k&n fitted. but dont know if i should go for stock/typhoon?
Interested in this for Lancer too. Personal experiences would be nice to hear.
Old 20th August 2007, 01:47   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfx View Post
guys with k&n in your lancers please provide feedback please. I am planing on gettin k&n fitted. but dont know if i should go for stock/typhoon?
I have the stock k&n filter. Makes a difference in driveability but not performance per say. It's just that I can keep her in a lower gear than to down shift. On highway very useful on city not really. No change in mileage but a wee bit noisier compared to the OE filter.

It is not worth 6 grand.
Old 21st August 2007, 11:16   #184
BHPian

i now have a K&N stock replacement panel filter in my OHC VTEC, otherwise a virgin - plain jane - wonderfully maintained - straight off the shelf piece.

it has been only 4 days and upto 150 kms of driving on highway and a bit of city traffic (of course not the bumper-to-bumper stop-go one).

to avoid any mental horsepower syndromes that can happen with a direct changeover to a K&N, I first fit an almost new OEM replacement filter from a friendly mechanic and tried it for 20 kms. i just felt my engine was a bit better than my very old and dusty OEM filter.

then I fit in the K&N stock replacement panel filter, and yes, i did feel a good big difference. i dont say that i gained a few BHP by spending a small few bucks (3200/- from methods, B'lore - it was hand delivered to me by a friend who was travelling to mumbai last weekend).

But the car has become more responsive in each up-shift of the gear and feels smoother. i dont feel the intake noise to have increased as much as many others claim too.

on the expressway, i observed that it was much easier to reach my favourite 140 kmph mark(ssshhhh dont tell the cops) than it used to be earlier.

in city traffic, it was easier to maintain 3rd gear upto as low as 25 kmph and bring it as high as 65 kmph without any newbie-like jerking, though this is not my driving style.

i chose the K&N stock replacement filter after reading a lot on these performance filters. i couldnt afford to lose money in a trial-and-error method with a FIPK or a Cold-air intake.

in all, am satisfied with the K&N stock replacement filter. will do more driving and let you all know if any issues arise.

Last edited by gbpscars : 21st August 2007 at 11:21.
Old 20th October 2007, 10:56   #185
Senior - BHPian

Hi
My friend wanted to install petes wind/K&N conical filter in his OHC, but all the mechanics here say that the conical/universal fiklters harm the engine badly and stock replacement filters are best. But here on the forum there are many cars with the universal filters, so hence the confusion. Which do you guys recommend? an will there be a significant boost in power with a stock replacement filter??
Old 23rd October 2007, 14:17   #186
NSF

Hi
I ve installed a K&N conical filter in my lancer.There is marginal improvement in power.I think it will me better with a FFE.....
Old 23rd October 2007, 17:17   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Hi
My friend wanted to install petes wind/K&N conical filter in his OHC, but all the mechanics here say that the conical/universal fiklters harm the engine badly and stock replacement filters are best. But here on the forum there are many cars with the universal filters, so hence the confusion. Which do you guys recommend? an will there be a significant boost in power with a stock replacement filter??
Ask them why they think the conical filters will harm your engine. My Hyundai guy said the same to me, but had no explanation when I asked him this. I've been using a K&N conical in my Santro for about a year now and there have been no nasty side effects. Others have been using them longer with no complaints.

You won't get a big boost in power with conical or stock replacement filters... but there will definitely be a slight added pep to your ride (more for the conical), and a lovely intake growl (for the conical). Apart from this, FE will stay roughly the same, and you won't have to change your filter for a long, long time.

Having used the conical filter, I am happy with it. Would recommend it.
Old 23rd October 2007, 20:58   #188
Senior - BHPian

I use a K&N stock replacement filter.
Pros
Driveability has improved. Dont have to downshift frequently.
Very marginal increase in power

Cons
Vibration. The difference was evident on the super smooth engine of Getz.
Noise, though gives a sporty feeling on Highway.
Old 23rd October 2007, 21:04   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I use a K&N stock replacement filter.
Pros
Driveability has improved. Dont have to downshift frequently.
Very marginal increase in power

Cons
Vibration. The difference was evident on the super smooth engine of Getz.
Noise, though gives a sporty feeling on Highway.
Felt the same with K&N conical and green cotton wind.

Torque improves and for me the top end in each gear
Old 23rd October 2007, 22:36   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Felt the same with K&N conical and green cotton wind.

Torque improves and for me the top end in each gear
Hi i am planning to fix a green cotton wind I currently have a stock Replacement K&N will i find i big difference
Old 24th October 2007, 01:17   #191
BHPian

Yes Kaizer...you will definately find a BIG difference. When i changed from K&N panel to Apollo CAI the difference was HUGE. Butttt that does not mean the K&N panels are bad compared to Cotton green wind...one cannot compare the two.

Just thought i would mention this!
Old 25th October 2007, 15:01   #192
Senior - BHPian

i have a K&N RE-0950 universal conical air filter on my accent viva crdi i have experienced all the differences gbpscars mentionedexcept that the power feels like a few bhps have been added to the ride the only pain is the periodic cleaning after every 5k kms (it gets really dirty the cleaning process takes 2-4days depending on the temperature as the filter needs to dry before reapplying the oil and fitting and its strictly warned not to dry the filter in the sun light,or hot air gun or pressured air gun!)
Old 25th October 2007, 17:38   #193
BHPian

Universal Conical filter in my Baleno (ex-car)

I have used K&N conical filter in my earlier car - a 2004 Baleno Lxi.

I had riden the Baleno on stock filter and air box for 17,500km (in about 15 months) when I decided to change to K&N conical filter.

Got the job at my usual Martui dealer! No warranty was voided!

The air box and pipes were completely removed. A short reducer (venturi) and a universal conical filter was installed in the location of the OE airbox. Did not bother to remove the resonator behind the bumper - just left it there.

Pros:
1. Overall torque improved - result in quicker acceleration off the block.
2. ~0.5kmpl improvement in mileage in city conditions.
3. Intoxicating induction Note at ~3000rpm.

Well, it did give a little performance boost - quicker starts. But, it gave a great MHP (Mental Horse Power) due to its induction note. A well satisfied customer.

Cleaned it once in 10,000km with a new paint brush - just dusted off.

Got it "serviced" - clean with soap water, vaccum dried the surface, let dry and impregnated K&N oil, at 37,500km (that is 20,000km after installation).

Sold my Baleno at 38,200km and switched to the Cedia.

Did notice dust in the intake pipe when the filter was removed for servicing at 37,500km. But, it never mattered in daily driving.
Old 25th October 2007, 22:59   #194
BHPian

there's no change either in performance or FE in my maruti 800 (carb) after going in for K&N stock filter. though, i was told that FE would improve, it sadly hasn't.
Old 3rd November 2007, 15:44   #195
BHPian

K&N Typhoon fitted into Cedia Sport.

Notable increase in surge, specially after 3000rpm. Also quicker off the blocks. No notable increase in mileage.
Great point made by GSHA about MHP!!!! Another satisfied customer here!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks