Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2014, 21:18   #1
BHPian

A lemon, my defective Maruti Kizashi. EDIT: Fed up & SOLD

(@mods: please move to appropriate location if this is the wrong place.)

I never thought I would be writing this for my car. Looks like my luck is real bad. Out of all cars in India it had to happen to me with the one which sold the least a mere 1500-2000 cars in India.

Yes, it is the Kizashi the car had been facing multiple problems since the day it was delivered and now the water has gone above the head. These are the problems that have been faced in chronological order.

1) judder/stall on pickup in 1st

My point: I have driven many petrol cars. The Dzire, the corolla, the wagonr and none of them ever stalled in 1st while picking up solely on the clutch like you would in bumper to bumper traffic. This is a 2.4L engine for god's sake with double the power in Dzire which stalls everytime.

Result/Reason: Service center tried solving the problem with many methods but to no avail. This problem persisted for more than a year. Finally visited another MASS dealer who solved the problem by bleeding the clutch and some kind of caliberation. Many tried to convince that this is normal because the clutch is Hydraulic. The car still stalls if the A/c is off. I suspect problems with throttle body.

Time Taken: 1 Year

2) Severe vibration/loss of control while braking

My Point: The car vibrated so much while braking that I would loose control and the steering would shake.

Result/Reason: Service center acknowledged problem but used useless techniques to solve the problems. First, they Cleaned pads, then they did tyre rotation, then alignment & balancing, then changed engine mount. Finally one day I nearly killed my self by driving into a truck due to loss of control. They put discs from another Kizashi for testing and then ordered and put fresh discs on the car. The car from which the part was used for testing was the M.D's car. I had advised this to them from day 1. I also voluntarily changed the Pads after this to avoid any future issue.

Time Taken: 4 months

3) Horn tone Fluctuation

My point: the horn tone kept fluctuating randomly.

Result/Reason: Service center identified the problem and changed the horn.

Time Taken: 1 week

4) Dashboard rattle

My point: The dashboard made rattling noise on bad roads.

Result: Service center tried many things but the problem went finally after visiting another dealership who somehow solved the problem.

Time Taken: 6 Months

5) Failed Handbrake

My Point: Handbrake was not effective and couldn't hold car on a slope.

Result/Reason: Handbrake was repaired by dealership.

6) Service start system error code being displayed

My Point: Serice start system error flashes on the car randomly

Reason/Result: Service center refused to acknowledge problem as no trouble code was displayed. But one day when the car was with them it finally showed up and didn't go until they switched off the car. They weren't able to diagnose what it was due to no trouble code being registered. They finally asked me to drive it as is since it didn't cause any issue to the car.

Time Taken: 1 day

7) Noise from suspension

My point: Suspension makes tak tak noise on bad roads and steering looses all feel. Talked to Bhpian IshaanIan who advised me to change the tie rod end.

Reason: It seems that the vibrations from the brakes due to the defective discs had caused damage to the tie rod and suspension which made the hole that attaches the tie rod and strut big which made the tie loose causing it to bend.

Result: Service center took time to acknowledge the problem. They finally changed the tie rod end and stabilizer bar end. They returned the car for a test drive to me, the problem persisted and I returned the car. They finally realised it was the lft strut that was damaged and needs replacing. They tried putting the cost on me by asking Rs.10,000 advance for ordering the part. After talking to the Regional office the strut was changed under warranty.

Time taken: 1 Month

I thought this was the end of it

All these things had already heated my head only another spark was required to make me loose my head. So here is the final bomb

8) The return of the tak tak with some addition

My point: The tak tak noise returns and the steering again looses feel but in a dangerous manner where it pulls the car in the direction of the bump or pot hole leaving me with no control.

Result/Reason: service center diagnosed it first as bad suspension linkage. This was paid by me and changed. The problem was solved to an extent but the noise and loss of feel was still present. Finally, the service center says that since nothing else remains the whole steering assembly will have to be changed which costs a whopping 1.2 Lakhs which will be changed in warranty. This was diagnosed by noting that the the noise came even when the car was stationary meaning that there is play in the rack.

Also, The memory seats also failed which was because of a bad switch which will also be replaced in warranty costing 7000/-

The car was given in another service station and not from the place where I purchased my car. Now comes the bomb a real big one. The service station calls me up and says your warranty period is over as car is purchased on 30/06/2011 How the hell is this possible if the car was purchased in 2013. I needed a second to let this sink in. Called up the dealer from where I purchased the car and asked for an explanation they stated it as a technical error.

I then called up the Territory service manager in the regional office who shifted the car to the dealer from whom I purchased the car where the car currently is.

I have now lost my temper and even Maruti knows about the problems occuring in my car and is just firing the service center which isn't helping.

THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTIONS

1) Why does my car have a 2011 sale date? Was it sold to someone and then sold to me? I have an invoice of 2013.

2) Why are all the noises coming from the left side? Had it had an accident in the past before being given to me?

3) what are my legal options? will the discounts(~3/4 lakhs) offered at the time of sale workout against me?

4) what is the point of warranty if it is honored only at a specific dealer.

5) Am I over reacting and is it possible that imported cars have such problems because they are not suitable for Indian conditions?

PARTS CHANGED TILL DATE

1) Tied rod end

2) stabiliser bar bush

3) horn

4) brake discs

5) brake pads

6) left suspension strut

THE BEST PART
Out of the 14000 kms the car has travelled till date. 50% 7000 kms have gone in visiting the dealership ONLY.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2014 at 17:44. Reason: As requested
rockporiom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 21:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: A lemon, my defective Maruti Kizashi. EDIT: Fed up & SOLD

The tierod, handbrake, judder, stall, dashboard imperfections all point to an accident car / demo car that was sold to you at huge discount. The deal screams LEMON!

It seems that the service centers have been helpful till date. Unfortunately you have to depend on their helpfulness, as lemon laws are non existent in India.

I sympathize with you, but in reality this car has the potential to be a real money pit. Service it to running condition, and sell it. My 2 cents.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 21:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The tierod, handbrake, judder, stall, dashboard imperfections all point to an accident car / demo car that was sold to you at huge discount. The deal screams LEMON!

It seems that the service centers have been helpful till date. Unfortunately you have to depend on their helpfulness, as lemon laws are non existent in India.

I sympathize with you, but in reality this car has the potential to be a real money pit. Service it to running condition, and sell it. My 2 cents.
As you know the excellent resale value of Kizashi do not permit me to do so. I am not getting more than 4 lakhs for it I have a 9 lakh loan on it I am stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Your second best option is to then hunt down a reliable and knowledgeable garage for the post warranty fixes. Unfortunately, as Kizashi sold rarely in India, finding good mechs may be difficult.
Isn't there anything I can do. No legal options? Further the discount is normal that was given on Kizashi. Plus why the 2011 billing?

Last edited by rockporiom : 2nd April 2014 at 21:47.
Old 2nd April 2014, 21:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
As you know the excellent resale value of Kizashi do not permit me to do so. I am not getting more than 4 lakhs for it I have a 9 lakh loan on it I am stuck.
Your second best option is to then hunt down a reliable and knowledgeable garage for the post warranty fixes. Unfortunately, as Kizashi sold rarely in India, finding good mechs may be difficult.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 21:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

Well you do know your car was probably lying in the stockyard for a year or 2 before you bought it right?

That does lead to some issues, like brake discs warping, the tyres may develop flat patches, and some electronics may act funny.

I think the diagnosis has been wrong on their part multiple times, and that has led to making the issues even worse.

The car doesn't sound like a lemon to me, but I still think you should fight with Maruti to extend your warranty on it considering so many things are going wrong with their most expensive car.

As for the rattles, CBU or not it is still a Japanese car and will not be built as well as the Euros, so rattles are going to be there.

Also for the car stalling, many cars have different kinds of behavior. Even my Laura will stall if only the clutch is used to move the car, unless you release it very very slowly.

Edit - Anyway my suggestion is be patient, deal with Maruti, get all the issues solved to your satisfaction and then enjoy the car. Luckily Maruti seems to have a proactive customer care team which should help.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 2nd April 2014 at 21:59.
Akshay1234 is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 21:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Well you do know your car was probably lying in the stockyard for a year or 2 before you bought it right?

That does lead to some issues, like brake discs warping, the tyres may develop flat patches, and some electronics may act funny.

I think the diagnosis has been wrong on their part multiple times, and that has led to making the issues even worse.

The car doesn't sound like a lemon to me, but I still think you should fight with Maruti to extend your warranty on it considering so many things are going wrong with their most expensive car.

As for the rattles, CBU or not it is still a Japanese car and will not be built as well as the Euros, so rattles are going to be there.

Also for the car stalling, many cars have different kinds of behavior. Even my Laura will stall if only the clutch is used to move the car, unless you release it very very slowly.
I know the car was lying in the stockyard and may have issues. But, isn't this a bit too much? As in the whole steering system? I know many Kizashi owners even they have issues but not to this extent. The question still remains why 2011 billing?

Last edited by rockporiom : 2nd April 2014 at 21:59.
Old 2nd April 2014, 21:58   #7
BHPian

One question; you said in your ownership thread that you decoded the VIN and found the car to be 8 months old at the time of purchase. Pasting extract below for the benefit of other members

DISCOUNT
Actually the dealers don't term it as a discount and if the customer is not smart enough he may be sold the old stock saying it is new. Kiran was quiet truthful about the discount and told us before hand that 2 cars were 2 years old and one was 8 months old. Dad wanted the Silver even if it was 2 years old but since that was sold we had gone for the relatively younger one which had comparatively less discount. The on road price was 19,89,000 and we got the car for 18,00,000. So that was a discount of 1,89,000, we were given free floor mats and mudguards which together cost Rs.20000. So the discount and goodies together were nearly 2 Lakhs. The 2 year old models had discounts of 5 lakhs. The car was new because it was ordered by a person in 2012 but he couldn't take delivery due to personal problems. I checked the Vin NO and it was true.

How then can a car have a VIN of 2013- and a sale date of 2011- a date when it would not even have been manufactured? Did you ask him for any physical hard evidence behind the assertion of this 2011 date?

Last edited by rahul4321 : 2nd April 2014 at 22:01. Reason: addition
rahul4321 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
One question; you said in your ownership thread that you decoded the VIN and found the car to be 8 months old at the time of purchase. Pasting extract below for the benefit of other members

DISCOUNT
Actually the dealers don't term it as a discount and if the customer is not smart enough he may be sold the old stock saying it is new. Kiran was quiet truthful about the discount and told us before hand that 2 cars were 2 years old and one was 8 months old. Dad wanted the Silver even if it was 2 years old but since that was sold we had gone for the relatively younger one which had comparatively less discount. The on road price was 19,89,000 and we got the car for 18,00,000. So that was a discount of 1,89,000, we were given free floor mats and mudguards which together cost Rs.20000. So the discount and goodies together were nearly 2 Lakhs. The 2 year old models had discounts of 5 lakhs. The car was new because it was ordered by a person in 2012 but he couldn't take delivery due to personal problems. I checked the Vin NO and it was true.

How then can a car have a VIN or 2013; and a sale date of 2011- a date when it would not even have been manufactured? This is beyond me!

Rahul that is my exact question I decoded the vin using a website since the vin is different from the cars assembled and sold here. The website showed May 2012. That is why I am asking why 2011 billing.

There is one error on my part that the final purchase price was 17,00,000 and not 18,00,000. which makes the discount 2.89 lakhs. will request mods to change it.

Last edited by rockporiom : 2nd April 2014 at 22:04.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Completely sympathize with you Adi. Sure does seem like this was a demo car or had been in a minor accident. Worse still, is the kind of dealership experience you are getting there. Here in Hyderabad it is nothing short of royal and warranty claims are done with a smile too.

Unfortunately, due to the resale value, it makes no sense to sell the car. Pursuing this matter legally will also be a huge pain. I'd suggest getting everything fixed. Just seems to be a problem with your front suspension system. Have the entire system checked; tie rods, linkages, stabilizer bars, struts, everything, and have it rectified asap. Also I remember you telling me once about how the note of your horn as well as the intensity of your headlights, would fluctuate based on throttle input. I did some extensive research, and this seems to be an issue with a few Kizashis that has been narrowed down to the poor alternator and weak battery. Get a more potent alternator and everyone says you should be good What is it with the steering assembly? Was it replaced in the end? There were noises coming from it when the car was stationary? Please elaborate. Be resilient, find a better service center, get all your warranty claims out of the way and just check out my suggestion about the alternator. Hope it helps

Good luck man. Keep me posted. Cheers!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 2nd April 2014 at 22:05.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
The car was given in another service station and not from the place where I purchased my car. Now comes the bomb a real big one. The service station calls me up and says your warranty period is over as car is purchased on 30/06/2011 How the hell is this possible if the car was purchased in 2013. I needed a second to let this sink in. Called up the dealer from where I purchased the car and asked for an explanation they stated it as a technical error.
Really shocking. Just a quick question to you. When you were about to seal the deal on favor of the car, didn't you verify the VIN number?
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Really shocking. Just a quick question to you. When you were about to seal the deal on favor of the car, didn't you verify the VIN number?
Just came to my mind. Does the RC book have the year of manufacturing on it? If yes will ask dad to check it since I haven't seen the RC till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Completely sympathize with you Adi. Sure does seem like this was a demo car or had been in a minor accident. Worse still, is the kind of dealership experience you are getting there. Here in Hyderabad it is nothing short of royal and warranty claims are done with a smile too.
The car is still lying with them. The steering rack has developed play resulting in noise and loss of control on bad roads. Noise would come if you moved the steering from lock to lock even when the car is stationary. Won't changing the alternator void warranty?

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd April 2014 at 00:54. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers. Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 23:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
I think this question has already been answered, please refer to the posts above your posts.

It is indeed sad and disheartening to see such a situation. Selling the car makes no sense at this point in time. The best solution is to get the car repaired to your full satisfaction.

If your city has some Maruti owned and operated service stations like Delhi where we have Maruti Service Masters, they can fix the problems at one go.

May be the technicians at the dealer end are not competant enough to handle such issues.
Old 2nd April 2014, 23:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
I think this question has already been answered, please refer to the posts above your posts.

It is indeed sad and disheartening to see such a situation. Selling the car makes no sense at this point in time. The best solution is to get the car repaired to your full satisfaction.

If your city has some Maruti owned and operated service stations like Delhi where we have Maruti Service Masters, they can fix the problems at one go.

May be the technicians at the dealer end are not competant enough to handle such issues.
I don't think there is any company owned showroom here in Ahmedabad.

I just googled and visited this link. This is exactly my scenario minus the aftermarket upgrades. These are the exact problems that I am facing.

http://kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2686
Old 2nd April 2014, 23:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Out of all cars in India it had to happen to me with the one which sold the least a mere 1500-2000 cars in India.
I dont think they have sold more then 200 Kizashi' in India.
Old 2nd April 2014, 23:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I dont think they have sold more then 200 Kizashi' in India.
They have definitely sold more than that since Ahmedabad alone has 10 Kizashi's. Further the sales chart available on Team BHP states that the number of cars is much more than that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks