Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2015, 13:35   #61
BHPian

Re: All about car dent repair & painting - Processes, methods & tools

Met with an accident a couple of month back where the hood got damaged. The repairs were done at HASS and the hood was replaced. Though it burnt a hole in my pocket but after the repairs my 8+ year old Santro got a little new shiny look.

And now a couple of days back again hood got damaged from one end just above the right fender. I thought I should get the running board repaired as well (got a dent there a few years back but never got it repaired). Visited a few FNGs and one guy asked as much as 4K. Then finally found a guy who did the job in 2K. He said the hood and running board will again get that shiny look as well as smooth finishing.

While the look is OK and color matched well but when I touch it with the hand that absolute smooth feel is missing that I got with the original hood as well as the replaced one at HASS. The entire hood was repainted by this guy.

Planning to go to this guy again and see if something can be done as I am not 100% happy with the work. Just wanted to know from BHPians here if this really can be corrected now? Can something be done?
Old 27th January 2016, 16:23   #62
BHPian

Repainted Car has No Shine – Need Advice

I had given my 2003 Fiat Palio GTX tangerine mist color for repainting since the original paint had faded away and also had met with an accident in December. All the repainting work was going on smooth and I was visiting the workshop every alternative day to check the progress and work completed.

In between this, I was blessed with a baby girl on January 10th so I couldn’t visit the workshop for a week. By then they had repainted the entire car and kept it ready for me. This is the only car I have and I needed the car very badly so took the delivery in the night without checking. Then when I saw the car in day light, there was absolutely no shine at all and the surface also was not smooth. Also there were swirl marks on the newly painted car. I was gutted and very disappointed with the work done.

I immediately called the workshop and asked them, they said they will check and do the polish which will bring back the shine on the car. I blasted them on the phone and said will visit them next week.

Took the car to a nearby paint shop, the painter checked the car thoroughly and said that tinkering and painting is fine, but there is hardly any clear coat on the paint. And also they have not smoothened the surface after the base coat. The FNG Paint shop guy said that even now they can apply clear coat after removing the swirls and scrubbing the body a bit.

I believe the paint shop guys took advantage of my situation and cut corners in painting my car in my absence. I am furious and feel like saying things to them, but I want to get this rectified and stay away from them for the rest of the life.

Please let me know what option do I have now to bring the shine on the car and smile on my face –

Mods - I have checked for related topic, but cant find a thread with similar problem. Please merge if already exists.
Old 27th January 2016, 16:37   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Repainted Car has No Shine – Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
The FNG Paint shop guy said that even now they can apply clear coat after removing the swirls and scrubbing the body a bit.
This ^.
This will fix your problem. Just ensure that this time they do it properly.
Old 28th January 2016, 09:50   #64
Senior - BHPian

it depends on how many layers of base coat there initially is. If there isn't enough, you need to get the following done.
Get a full car sanding with something above 1200 grit. apply base coat, then apply clear coat. and wet sand and polish to full gloss. The only thing saved here is body filling and levelling done by previous painter.
Painting is very laborious and all of them do cut corners.
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 09:58   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
it depends on how many layers of base coat there initially is. If there isn't enough, you need to get the following done.
Get a full car sanding with something above 1200 grit. apply base coat, then apply clear coat. and wet sand and polish to full gloss. The only thing saved here is body filling and levelling done by previous painter.
How do we get the right paint color Kutlee ? I am sure the hood and the other parts will look out of place since paints on the old panels would have weathered evenly. A new hood will have a darker shade than the other ones.

How do we match all of them evenly ?
Old 29th January 2016, 10:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

If you can't match existing shade, you need a full body paint. Else it will look worse than it already is.
Old 29th January 2016, 12:08   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
2 Layers of Base Coat has been applied. I am meeting the painter tomorrow and need to see what he has to say about this.

I am also in touch with few FNG Paintshop and will check what they have to say about correcting it.

Agreed that painting is very tedious and laborious, but they are paid for it. Not sure why they have to cut corners in this case. Greed I believe
Old 29th January 2016, 13:28   #68
BHPian

I am new to this topic, hence asking this.

How do we source the exact color for our models of cars ? Since bumpers nowdays match the main body paint, can we source the paint from manufacturer ?

Retails will only give us options that is very close to body paint. What can be done in this situation !!!!
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 19:53   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2 Layers of Base Coat has been applied. I am meeting the painter tomorrow and need to see what he has to say about this.

I am also in touch with few FNG Paintshop and will check what they have to say about correcting it.

Agreed that painting is very tedious and laborious, but they are paid for it. Not sure why they have to cut corners in this case. Greed I believe
running costs are always on the increase. Even if they want to squeeze more cars, it becomes difficult without compromising quality. Trade offs lead to stealing and cutting corners. I haven't seen single FNG with quality painting. All of them show their true shade after a year or two of painting. A** will do better job because of escalation matrix available for customers. Process is the king!

Else we have to do it in our backyard for that perfect paint job.
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 10:03   #70
BHPian

Checked with the Paint shop guys as to what went wrong, he wasn't able to give me any concrete answers but agreed that there is no shine on the car. When I checked on the Clear coat, he wasn't able to give me the brand name and how much quantity has been sprayed. This was the give away indicating that they have cut corner on the clear coat. He offered to do a full waxing, polishing etc and bring the paint back to life. Have made it clear to him that if it doesn't work, then he has no alternative but to repaint the car.

Before visiting my paint shop, I had visited 3 FNG paint shop close to my house. They all examined the painting thoroughly and all had the same opinion that clear coat has not been sprayed well on the car. The clear coat used is (may be) local made and very less quantity (may be 300ml) has been used.

All the FNG paint shop guys said that the tinkering and base coat is done well and things have gone wrong in clear coat and wet sanding/polish. I got a quote of 12K to 16K to correct it using Dupont/Nippon Paint and Clear Coat. They said exactly what kutlee had advised.

Regards
Old 1st February 2016, 11:05   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
I am new to this topic, hence asking this.

How do we source the exact color for our models of cars ? Since bumpers nowdays match the main body paint, can we source the paint from manufacturer ?

Retails will only give us options that is very close to body paint. What can be done in this situation !!!!
You do get shade cards from the manufacturers. If you get hold of one, it should not be difficult to source the paint in the quantity you want. But even with all these, paint matching still needs to be done with the adjacent panels.
Old 1st February 2016, 14:47   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
You do get shade cards from the manufacturers. If you get hold of one, it should not be difficult to source the paint in the quantity you want. But even with all these, paint matching still needs to be done with the adjacent panels.
OK. In that case, will we need to get through car manufacturer or can we go directly to the paint companies? I was in MASS this weekend, and did see the color slips that mentioned about. When enquired, they told me that paint companies do not disperse these colors to their retail outlets since they are specific colors to models. The only option was to go through MASS since they send orders directly to paint company through Maruti's official channels.

He even showed me a car (White) which was getting painted and said "the end product will be showroom finish and will not match the retail color in anyway. And they do not compromise on the color quality due to obvious reason and said if you want to paint, please come to us. Dont mind the cost, but end product will be consistent as that of factory finish."
Old 4th February 2016, 11:07   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

All the FNG paint shop guys said that the tinkering and base coat is done well and things have gone wrong in clear coat and wet sanding/polish. I got a quote of 12K to 16K to correct it using Dupont/Nippon Paint and Clear Coat. They said exactly what kutlee had advised.

Regards
A case of the FNG guys looting. Dupont or Nippon system Clear coat does not cost that much even for a full body respray.

As an example for an Innova - one would need roughly 2 litre of clear coat all around - which would cost around Rs 2000. Add an extra Rs 200/- for hardener. Roughly the measure is 200-250 ml of clear coat for a large door (such as Innova/Scorpio). One would have clear coat left over after this exercise.

The job should not exceed more than 4-6 hours allowing a half-hour for breaks while the first coat dries.
Old 1st April 2016, 10:41   #74
BHPian

Accident :
My recent acquisition suffered dent and scratches on the RH Back Door and RH Back Wing courtesy the great Indian "Auto". While the RH Back Wing had just scratches, the RH Back Door had both dent and scratches.

Preparation
Thought of getting some first hand information on Team BHP and landed up on this thread.This thread provides great tips on dealing with dents and scratches.

Experience
Landed at the first ASS. The SA explained that since two panels are involved, both should be completely repainted. Charges approx Rs 10k. He insisted that even though there are minor scratches in the RH Back Wing, touch up will not do.

Landed at the Second ASS. The SA explained that only one panel should be completely repainted. Charges approx Rs 4k all inclusive. He mentioned that touch up will do for the minor scratches in the RH Back Wing.

Actual Job
I am assuming the following would have been done for the RH Back Door i.e.
-> Dent Repair (impacted region)
-> Primer (impacted region)
-> Base Coat (impacted region)
-> Clear Coat (impacted region)
-> Polish (Entire Panel)

I am assuming the following would have been done for the RH Back Wing i.e.
-> Polish (Entire Panel)

Since it is a new car (6 months), he would not applied paint on the entire panel.
joybhowmik..Would appreciate your comments on this.

Last edited by dpkbehera : 1st April 2016 at 11:02. Reason: Additional Details
dpkbehera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 11:01   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
Accident :
My recent acquisition suffered dent and scratches on the RH Back Door and RH Back Wing courtesy the great Indian "Auto". While the RH Back Wing had just scratches, the RH Back Door had both dent and scratches.

Actual Job
I am assuming the following would have been done for the RH Back Door i.e.
-> Dent Repair (impacted region)
-> Primer (impacted region)
-> Polish (Entire Panel)

I am assuming the following would have been done for the RH Back Wing i.e.
-> Polish (Entire Panel)

Since it is a new car (6 months), he would not applied paint on the entire panel.
joybhowmik..Would appreciate your comments on this.
How bad is the damage really? Could you post some pictures ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks