Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2017, 22:15   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Solved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter

I think the ECM adjusts the fueling as per the available air. Less fuel burnt , less power ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 23:53   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Did you install it yourself, or was it done in some garage, if "yes", can you please share garage details?
Did it by myself Rohan. Its a tad bit easier on TSI than on TDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
This is great news!

While I wait for boodmo to restock the UFI filter, I got this question - wouldn't the substandard air filter cause the mileage to drop? I am just using common sense to assume that since there is not enough air to mix with the fuel to burn, the engine will burn more fuel. This should impact the "kitna deti hai", isn't it?

I am not noticing any significant drop in my mileage, hence the question.
Infact the initial trigger point was power drop and increased mileage. On a normal day, in peak hour traffic in Bangalore, GT was averaging around 10.1 for me, and it increased to 12-12.5 for a few days when the LUMAX was installed. These were the days when I was observing significant power drop in the car. During the whole process of reasoning, I was having the theory in my head that...
GT ECU is intelligent enough to identify lower levels of air i.e oxygen essentially, and tries to reduce the fuel during injection, resulting in a leaner AF mixture. This thereby increases mileage but at the cost of power.

Its only my theory trying to connect the dots. Please take it with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by avanishphatak : 21st August 2017 at 23:58. Reason: Updation
avanishphatak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 09:06   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanishphatak View Post
Its only my theory trying to connect the dots. Please take it with a pinch of salt.
Hi Avanish,

Been facing a similar problem, it would be really helpful if you could assist me in identifying if the core issue is similar to that of yours. Will elaborate the symptoms:

My car is barely 7 months old, did the 6 month checkup and everything was fine. (Mileage ~6000KM)

1. Start is completely fine, engine returns to 800RPM a few seconds after ignition. However, earlier on the crank of the key it used to start within 2 seconds, now it is taking 4-5 seconds.

2. D1 to D2 shift is fairly ok and normal.

3. The problem starts now. Irrespective of the throttle input that I provide, the RPM meter reaches 4000-5000 (whilst making sounds as if it is hitting the rev-limiter) with a loss in power output. This is happening irrespective of driving mode - be it D, S or even tiptronic mode.

4. Somehow, after it makes to D3, the problem repeats itself and irrespective of the throttle input the car slowly and gradually inches towards 4000-5000RPM with greatly reduced acceleration (Accelerator pressure still making no difference to the acceleration or gear shift) and then after forever it shifts to D4.

This problem is repeating itself across all gear shifts. The main issues here is the complete loss of power and torque coupled with delayed upshifts and downshifts.

Is it the filter?
Old 22nd August 2017, 09:31   #64
Senior - BHPian

It is most likely a DSG failure. Please read thru the below thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...solved-15.html
Old 22nd August 2017, 09:47   #65
Senior - BHPian

What is the behaviour of the engine if you rev up in N. Does the engine rev freely or does it still inch up to 4000 rpm slowly.
Old 22nd August 2017, 14:38   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanishphatak View Post
Did it by myself Rohan. Its a tad bit easier on TSI than on TDI.
I was looking at this thread and thought that this is probably not a simple - open screws and replace job. It talks about disconnecting MAF sensor, etc. It is not so complicated for the TSI? You just opened the 5 screws and replaced the filter? Is that it?
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 15:48   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I was looking at this thread and thought that this is probably not a simple - open screws and replace job. It talks about disconnecting MAF sensor, etc. It is not so complicated for the TSI? You just opened the 5 screws and replaced the filter? Is that it?
Even, I had the same question because Gannu's thread(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...lo-gt-tdi.html) also mentions the same.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 16:08   #68
BHPian

Gannu's DIY was on the GT TDI where I suppose it is not straight forward.

However, on the VW Polo GT TSI, I can say that it is pretty straight forward. There are no overlapping parts that need to be handled while handling the air filter.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 17:59   #69
BHPian

Btw, boodmo's feedback seems to be really rotten (thread). I guess you got really lucky to get the air filter without much drama.

Any other way of sourcing this in India? I don't see this listed on Amazon (US or IN), or ebay.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 18:15   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Btw, boodmo's feedback seems to be really rotten (thread). I guess you got really lucky to get the air filter without much drama.

Any other way of sourcing this in India? I don't see this listed on Amazon (US or IN), or ebay.
The delivery was quite delayed I thought. Looks like they had tried to source it from somewhere else and deliver.
Old 22nd August 2017, 18:32   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Amazon India has something called Mann Filter C 15 008 and other websites have Bosch filter. No other sites have UFI
Old 22nd August 2017, 19:16   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTp0wer View Post
3. The problem starts now. Irrespective of the throttle input that I provide, the RPM meter reaches 4000-5000 (whilst making sounds as if it is hitting the rev-limiter) with a loss in power output. This is happening irrespective of driving mode - be it D, S or even tiptronic mode.

4. Somehow, after it makes to D3, the problem repeats itself and irrespective of the throttle input the car slowly and gradually inches towards 4000-5000RPM with greatly reduced acceleration (Accelerator pressure still making no difference to the acceleration or gear shift) and then after forever it shifts to D4.
This is unlikely to be a problem with the Filter.

Does this increase in RPM happen during shifting from one gear to another, OR when in-gear?
Is there any particular gear when this happens?

If this problem is happening while In-Gear (increase in RPM & no increase in speed), then it could be an issue with Clutches of the DSG.

What is the frequency of the issue? Has VW service checked this out yet?
Old 22nd August 2017, 23:27   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Amazon India has something called Mann Filter C 15 008 and other websites have Bosch filter. No other sites have UFI
The company that manufacturers Mann filter - Mann + Hummel, seems to be specialized in just filtration. Its quality would hopefully be much better than the Lumax one. Not sure if it'll be as good as the UFI.

I'll search for the UFI filter in some local shops here. I am in two minds about placing an order for the Mann Filter...
Old 22nd August 2017, 23:42   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
The delivery was quite delayed I thought. Looks like they had tried to source it from somewhere else and deliver.
It was delayed. Arrived 15 days later than promised date, and 45 days from ordered date. I had to call boodmo several times and sometimes they were clueless. Apparently they collect a set of packages in Europe, containerize them and ship to Dubai. Later it arrives in Delhi, and is sorted and shipped with a local courier here. I'd say I was lucky to have received it. The filters are also available on amazon UK site. But the prices seem to be high there.

Found some links on availiability of UFI. Wondering how the Bosch/Mann equivalent of the same filter maybe.

Autodoc seem to ship it to India. One roadblock is to try deciphering German while ordering. Its ~11.7eur + shipping + customs here.
https://www.autodoc.de/ufi/7242571

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Skoda-Roomste...-/361404425172

https://www.amazon.co.uk/febi-bilste.../dp/B00DZM9ZL0 <-- Non-UFI but the qual looks equally good

http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/7428222/ufi-2762100.html

Last edited by avanishphatak : 22nd August 2017 at 23:48. Reason: Updation
Old 23rd August 2017, 08:50   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
It is most likely a DSG failure. Please read thru the below thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
This is unlikely to be a problem with the Filter.

Does this increase in RPM happen during shifting from one gear to another, OR when in-gear?
Is there any particular gear when this happens?

If this problem is happening while In-Gear (increase in RPM & no increase in speed), then it could be an issue with Clutches of the DSG.

What is the frequency of the issue? Has VW service checked this out yet?
Thanks for the quick response! I visited the VW service center yesterday hoping it isn't a major problem.

The engine light had come on when I started driving in the evening.

Once a preliminary analysis was done, they found a chewed electrical wire, that was connected to the fuel injection assembly. This must've been the cause of loss in the torque and power. Further, they found some bird feathers too! Apparently, the rat had made itself comfortable last week when I was travelling and the car was lying dormant.

Have left the car at the workshop today, more details on further damage (if any) in the wiring harness to be received by EOD. Hope it doesn't break the bank
GTp0wer is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed