Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 11:33   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
Dont tell me that you have a turbodiesel and you dont know what boost is!
Boost is the secret of your energy, in fact, OUR energy

Jokes aside Turbocharger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ha ha. Good one no. I am aware of the turbo in our diesel cars and it kicks in around 1.7k rpm and that's when all the fun begins. But I wanted to know what the numbers signify and where the readings are taken from exactly.

I mean, when I see the rpm reading, I know that my engine in rotating at that rpm and that's where my reading is taken from.

The turbo boost reading starts off from -1.5 psi and I saw a 12 reading sometime. So, Is it the pressure at which the air from the inter cooler is fed back to the engine ? What does the negative signify ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
Torque has two speed readings. One from vehicle ECU, and one from GPS. The vehicle ECU reading will match the speedo reading, and the GPS one will have a certain % error (mostly it reads less).

There is also an option to calibrate both the speeds, to reduce error.
I think the obd shows the true speed. I had turned off the gps and was using readings only from the obd port. There was always a constant 10% error. I was doing 60, it showed me 54. Was doing 90, it showed me around 80. Guess the speedo is calibrated to show the error and not the obd port.

Was using it on the way to office today. It's real fun to see all those numbers floating around. For 800 bucks, I think this is easily the most 'bang for your buck ' accessory I have got.

I was wondering how the the kpl is calculated. Is it the same reading which is shown on the European versions of the i20 ??
From what I saw, its directly linked to the rpm. I was doing 72kmph at 1.4k rpm in 6th gear and it showed an instantaneous mileage of 14 ! Isn't that too low ?

For people who would be concerned about battery usage. I checked today. I had it on for one hour. Drained out 15% of the battery. I had the edge and all the sync on BTW.
Old 28th July 2011, 11:35   #317
BHPian

Installing OBD2 in chevy Beat

Guys,Planning to install OBD2 on my chevy beat.I am doing an R&D on this topic.I would like to start this thread for all who are interested to share their ideas.As I am at level 0 in this game,I would like to have some co-players.I will be sharing all the points came accross till date.
Old 28th July 2011, 11:47   #318
Senior - BHPian

Re: Installing OBD2 in chevy Beat

What is installing OBD2? AFAIK OBD2 is the connector that is present in every car manufactured now a days. Do you want to connect a code scanner or something like that?
Old 28th July 2011, 12:11   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
What is installing OBD2? AFAIK OBD2 is the connector that is present in every car manufactured now a days. Do you want to connect a code scanner or something like that?
Kind of obvious thats what he wants to do.

@white-rabbit: go here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dian-cars.html

Search, too...

EDIT: White rabbit, follow the thread above(as aopposed to what your name suggests ), it has ample details, costs, problems, solutions, everything....cheerios

Last edited by mayankk : 28th July 2011 at 12:36.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 12:28   #320
BHPian

Yeah!the same.I want to setup the complete set,like obd2 reader and display.But clearly no idea which obd reader to buy.Will I be able to geta a realtime FE figure?

mayankk,Will ELM 327 work for Beat?

Last edited by white-rabbit : 28th July 2011 at 12:49. Reason: typo error
Old 28th July 2011, 13:00   #321
BHPian

re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

For instantaneous FE - try Scangauge E. See this:
Amazon.com: ScanGaugeE Compact Multifunction Trip Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges: Automotive

Also, since you are in Bangalore why don't you try another member's ELM327 like Kimified? I think he will be happy to help a fellow member.

Last edited by archat68 : 28th July 2011 at 13:01.
Old 28th July 2011, 14:59   #322
BHPian

Thants a good idea.I will try with Kimified.Also please find the below picks of OBD port in my car.
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-new-image.jpg  

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-new-image2.jpg  

Old 28th July 2011, 16:30   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Hi, Where in the Chevy Optra Diesel is the OBD II port located?

Also, can these china knockoffs cause damage to the ECU or any other component of the car?

Also, I have seen some advts. from Chinese manufacturers for the exact model which Kim has purchased. If we can get together and purchase in bulk, we could get a good deal (better quality same price), as well as get some kind of warranty / returns policy. What say?
did you purchase one?
Old 28th July 2011, 16:33   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
did you purchase one?
Yup. Check this :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-2-0-tcdi.html

And the OBD port is vertically along the steering column under the dash.
Old 28th July 2011, 16:35   #325
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know where the port is on a Vento? I have the bluetooth model and need to plug it in.
Old 28th July 2011, 16:42   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, Where in the Chevy Optra Diesel is the OBD II port located?

Also, can these china knockoffs cause damage to the ECU or any other component of the car?

Also, I have seen some advts. from Chinese manufacturers for the exact model which Kim has purchased. If we can get together and purchase in bulk, we could get a good deal (better quality same price), as well as get some kind of warranty / returns policy. What say?
Quote:
Yup. Check this :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-2-0-tcdi.html

And the OBD port is vertically along the steering column under the dash.
Will it suite Chevy beat?
Old 28th July 2011, 16:48   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Will it suite Chevy beat?
The beat is OBD2 compliant, so yes it will! The position of the OBD port should also be just along the steering column, at the underside of the dashboard.
Feel it with your hands and you should feel holes of the port.
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 17:00   #328
BHPian

I found this at a wwebsite,and thought it will be useful

On 1996 and later vehicles, you can tell which protocol is used by examining the OBD II connector:
J1850 VPW --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 2, 4, 5, and 16, but not 10
ISO 9141-2/KWP2000 --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 4, 5, 7, 15, and 16.
J1850 PWM --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 2, 4, 5, 10, and 16
CAN --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 4, 5, 6, 14 and 16.

If your vehicle has this style connector, but doesn't have these pins populated, you probably have a pre-OBDII vehicle. To add some confusion, even having the connector with the contacts shown above is not a guarantee of OBD II compliance. This style connector has been seen on some pre-1996 vehicles which were not OBD II compliant.

Last edited by white-rabbit : 28th July 2011 at 17:05.
Old 28th July 2011, 17:02   #329
BHPian

Quote:
The beat is OBD2 compliant, so yes it will! The position of the OBD port should also be just along the steering column, at the underside of the dashboard.
Feel it with your hands and you should feel holes of the port.
I found out the obd2 port the day1 i got my car.But was wondering what protocol they are using and how to interface it.This thread has helpd a lot.Its good to know that I am not alone
Old 28th July 2011, 17:07   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I found this at a wwebsite,and thought it will be useful

On 1996 and later vehicles, you can tell which protocol is used by examining the OBD II connector:
J1850 VPW --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 2, 4, 5, and 16, but not 10
ISO 9141-2/KWP2000 --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 4, 5, 7, 15, and 16.
J1850 PWM --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 2, 4, 5, 10, and 16
CAN --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 4, 5, 6, 14 and 16.

If your vehicle has this style connector, but doesn't have these pins populated, you probably have a pre-OBDII vehicle. To add some confusion, even having the connector with the contacts shown above is not a guarantee of OBD II compliance. This style connector has been seen on some pre-1996 vehicles which were not OBD II compliant.
White rabbit, if youve bought a model launched in this decade, youre more or less guaranteed it will be OBD2.
Plus, its GM, so , added fruitiness....(ie assurance.)

Most Viewed