Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2022, 16:56   #91
BHPian

Re: Frustrated with VW's inability to fix my Tiguan Allspace DSG. EDIT: 2nd DSG failure (page 4)

Thanks for the update. Hope the ordeal ends soon for you. The mental trauma you must be going through is unimaginable. DSG failure needs much more media and social media coverage to the point that the lay person stepping inside a car showroom knows the pros and cons of a DSG and is in a position to make an informed decision
Sumer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 20:31   #92
BHPian

Re: Frustrated with VW's inability to fix my Tiguan Allspace DSG. EDIT: 2nd DSG failure (page 4)

I genuinely wonder if the driving dynamics of VW/Skoda is THAT good, or the DSG is THAT much supreme in its tech and efficiency, that people blindly buy VW DSG?
And few members here even recommending to keep aside an x amount for its eventual, but definite, failure.
Is it really worth it?
Torq is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 23:38   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
If feasible, could you please check with your VW workshop about the warranty on your gearbox specifically ? Do they know of any such warranty in the past given by VW on DQ200 or similar ?
AFAIK, the 1.6 Golf was super limited in terms of sales here which had a dry clutch DSG (DQ200) which may have had exceptional warranty based on service history and goodwill with the dealer. I’m quite certain that you wouldn’t have such a prolonged extended warranty in writing from VW however on the wet DCT DSG it corelates to the warranty that you have on the car.

Cheers
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 15:22   #94
BHPian

Update:

Got the car back today. The engineers from VW Pune team came to check the vehicle and were able to easily replicate the issue. The drivetrain data is recorded and sent to R&D team for further decision on vehicle. Again, No fault code at all.
I really don't have any hope on this company to provide multiple Allspace owners solution to this problem. This is a major recall level fault but VAG will do nothing in India.
Dhruv29 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 22:19   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
Update:

Got the car back today. The engineers from VW Pune team came to check the vehicle and were able to easily replicate the issue. The drivetrain data is recorded and sent to R&D team for further decision on vehicle. Again, No fault code at all.
I really don't have any hope on this company to provide multiple Allspace owners solution to this problem. This is a major recall level fault but VAG will do nothing in India.
I see this is about the Allspace model which as far as I know was a CBU?, would you say the regular CKD Tiguan that is for sale currently would fare any better in our 'Indian' driving conditions?
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 01:02   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I see this is about the Allspace model which as far as I know was a CBU?, would you say the regular CKD Tiguan that is for sale currently would fare any better in our 'Indian' driving conditions?
Too soon to say. I don’t think they would’ve made any changes related to drive train. Same 4motion-2.0 TSI- DQ381.
Dhruv29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 09:14   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

Curious to know if you got your issue resolved for good?
Old 12th May 2022, 11:55   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
Curious to know if you got your issue resolved for good?
No, Software update didn't helped at all. Same issue was exhibited on trial run.
Then V.W staff was instructed to remove/reinstall gearbox agai, to no avail.
Third gearbox order has been placed. I'm thinking of forcing them to order next year's gearbox as well.
Dhruv29 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 17:40   #99
BHPian

Update:
I received the car 20 days back with an Oil change service and 3rd gearbox installed. The service centre reported that the problem had been rectified after 80-90km test drive.
I took the car back and drove it normally within the city limit and the problem didn’t reoccur.

Today, I took the car to the highway and lo and behold this piece of crap is still not fixed! The ambient temperature was 46 degrees as shown by the sensor. I’m out of options for this “German CBU”. And to be honest I wasn’t even surprised that issue re-occurred because either you give me an answer that this specific part was causing an issue or it’s just hit and trial method. That’s it.

And I can’t even understand how are people even buying VAG Tiguan's new version. There are many reported incidents which are not visible on Team-BHP. I was also approached by a fellow BHPian Skoda Kodiaq Feb-2022 owner in the NCR region whose car exhibited the same behaviour.

Why is VW sleeping!? Fix your car!? What kind of dumb incompetent engineers are sitting in HQ, who can’t figure out why this specific drivetrain is not working in Delhi-NCR heat. I guess I’ll have to raise the issue with all automotive media outlets as well.

I don’t have any hope they’ll ever come out with an answer. I won’t drive this crap, will drop it off next week at the service centre.

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th June 2022 at 20:21. Reason: Please proofread before posting, spell and grammar. Thanks.
Dhruv29 is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 09:45   #100
BHPian

Wow! This is unbelievable incompetency from VW India. At first, they are changing the DSG gearboxes like consumables and yet cannot rectify the problem for good.

Absolutely incompetent service centre as well as engineering teams at VAG factory. It seems they haven't found the root cause of this issue yet. I think we expect a better quality of service and after sales support from a company like VW. I hope they will get this rectified soon enough, not just for you but also for those who face similar issues. I can imagine the frustration.
igemini is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 10:33   #101

Dhruv, while listening to the audio in the present link, couldn't help but notice that there is a difference in the timing of the sound as compared to your earlier issue. Earlier, your rattle was during a gear shift whereas in the present clip the rattle/knock seems to occur during hard acceleration from a low RPM in the same gear.

I own a Vento TSI DSG and had a similar issue for close to a year wherein on hard acceleration from low RPMs, in gear, would produce knocking sounds and jerks in the car as though the car was not getting sufficient fuel. Predictably, despite several visits to the ASS and replacement of fuel pump, injectors, injection coil, etc there was no change. They suggested DSG replacement, which i refused as car was out of warranty and as there was no jerks/sound during shift. Like your issue, there were no errors being thrown up on scans either.

Finally, i took it to an FNG who diagnosed it as a weak cord wire, basically the wire connecting to the fuel injectors, which resulted in insufficient electric flow to it during hard throttle inputs from low RPMs. Replaced that and the car has been completely fine now for 1 year plus. Maybe an area you can check out.
rahulk86 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 10:36   #102
BHPian

Good God! 3 gearboxes is something that is simply unfathomable and shows that there is a huge flaw from VW's side. I have had my fair share of DSG woes and that is why I decided to steer clear from certain VW models that have such issues for future purchases. VW India truly needs to wake up, they wouldn't be able to pull off such stunts in foreign countries where they would be sued almost instantly!

You are right to state that there are other Tiguan owners similar issues, I personally know a person who is sort of in the same boat albeit the extent of problem was not as severe.

Could you please quickly reshare on what level of the escalation matrix has the matter been raised until so far? Hope this problem gets sorted soon!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 10:50   #103
BHPian

Quote:
In the first video you shared, the gearbox was in the 6th gear, then it drops a gear and goes into 5th accompanied by a rise in RPMs. Then for a brief second there is no gear displayed. It just says "D" and the revs seem to fall to an idle engine range and then suddenly the gearbox engages 6th gear again.

What's happening here? Are you on a steady throttle input or are you varying it?

3 gearbox replacements and the issue still persists, seems to me that this isn't a gearbox issue at all. However, the above scenario paints a different picture.

I don't think VW has been able to identify the root cause of the problem you are facing.

I think you need to get your hands on the complete diagnostic report from VW and let them sign off on the car being inspected by a third-party garage to get a different view on the problem.
veedub89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 11:16   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
In the first video you shared, the gearbox was in the 6th gear, then it drops a gear and goes into 5th accompanied by a rise in RPMs. Then for a brief second there is no gear displayed. It just says "D" and the revs seem to fall to an idle engine range and then suddenly the gearbox engages 6th gear again.

What's happening here? Are you on a steady throttle input or are you varying it?

3 gearbox replacements and the issue still persists, seems to me that this isn't a gearbox issue at all. However, the above scenario paints a different picture.

I don't think VW has been able to identify the root cause of the problem you are facing.

I think you need to get your hands on the complete diagnostic report from VW and let them sign off on the car being inspected by a third-party garage to get a different view on the problem.
That is "eco" mode, in this mode when you lift off throttle during specific gear ratio and speed, the car will move into coasting mode and disengage gears all together then engine will move into idle mode. You'll notice "eco" appears on top of instrument cluster during this mode.

I doubt third party will have technical know-how of this drivetrain. It doesn't have any fault code. None. Even during the knocking sound period.
It's a clear design fault and i highly doubt VW will bother to fix it due to miniscule number of Allspaces and lax consumer protection laws. I did shoot an mail to Autocar, but yet to receive any response from them.

Update:

I again left my car at VW yesterday, after giving a ride to Senior engineer from VW Pune plant. I made him record the video while i drove the car, and then let him drive. Problem was pretty obvious. Knocking, lazy acceleration followed with knocks, jerk on cruising.
Meanwhile for other Tiguan Allspace they ordered "Multiclutch" for gearbox.
God! the DSG is haunting them so much that they are just changing it like air filter, but clearly the fault is elsewhere!

Last edited by Dhruv29 : 11th June 2022 at 11:23.
Dhruv29 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 12:10   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Why is VW sleeping!? Fix your car!? What kind of dumb incompetent engineers are sitting in HQ, who can’t figure out why this specific drivetrain is not working in Delhi-NCR heat.
Its really sad what you have had to go through and can only imagine your emotional state at the moment. I understand the allure of VAG DSGs. Just last year I had to pass on the Skoda Kushaq 1.5 DSG purely for reliability, even though it was an absolute hoot to drive, I loved the way it looked, it was solidly built and was feature loaded. I personally know of a person who has passed on a Tiguan only due to DSG fears.

But, a dispassionate third party observer would look at the general/overall DSG problem like this:

Bucket 1 is the sum of:
  1. The amount of money VW would have to spend to properly fix the problem which would mostly require a redesign.
  2. The money it would take to continuously train their staff to be able to properly diagnose and fix DSG problems.
  3. The marketing money it would take to convince the people that the problem is well and truly over.
Bucket 2 is the sum of:
  1. The EXTRA sales (money) they would make with a more reliable gearbox. Remember that these EXTRA (not counting existing) sales would only be for a decade or two at the most before electrification becomes mainstream.
  2. The money they would save not replacing DSGs like light bulbs, other warranty costs, etc.
I’m guessing that Bucket 1 is bigger. So as wrong as their approach is from a customer's point of view, it’s probably a corporate financial decision on their part to not fix this properly. Unfortunately in this case, band-aids are just cheaper than cures. And at the end of the day, companies exist to make money.
lordrayden is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks