Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2024, 08:56   #151
BHPian

Re: Impact of 20% ethanol petrol on current petrol engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I have seen only a single nozzle (and price) for regular fuel. When people say E20 is different nozzle (marking), are there separate dispenser and different pricing? I am yet to see any such thing in Bangalore or may be I failed to notice if it exists.
There is no difference in pricing. This is the kind of label the dispensing machines have. Photo taken from T-BHP only.
Attached Thumbnails
Impact of 20% ethanol petrol on current petrol engines-e20.jpg  

BhayanaV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 09:00   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhayanaV View Post
There is no difference in pricing. This is the kind of label the dispensing machines have. Photo taken from T-BHP only.
Thanks for sharing. I haven't seen this yet in my area in Blr. Will keep an eye.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 11:03   #153

I think this picture tells a thousand words
It has always been about foreign exchange issue rather than environmental impact
Attached Thumbnails
Impact of 20% ethanol petrol on current petrol engines-screenshot_20240521110028470_com.android.chrome.png  

_sh4nu_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 11:07   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The main advantage is it is renewable. And saves a lot of foreign exchange for India since we import most of our petroleum needs. The money will circulate within our economy. There may be significant reduction in emissions when the ethanol content becomes at least 40% of the fuel or higher.
The forex savings due to ethanol will get offset by increased import of car parts due to people changing their cars sooner due to this E20 incompatibility.
nagr22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 15:41   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is NA engine. Not sure about OEM recommendation but engine runs much smoother with XP95 and mileage has also improved. Is there any harm in using high octane petrol apart from higher price we pay ?

Based on comments in this thread, looks like XP95 is also blended. Wondering how can it achieve such a higher octane rating with ethanol blending. Doesn't ethanol have lower octane rating?

May be some expert can throw light.
Ethanol has a higher octane rating. In fact, one of the cheaper and easier ways to increase octane rating of lower grade petrol is to add ethanol to it.

Nothing wrong with using higher octane fuel. If your engine cannot compress the fuel enough to utilise the benefits of higher octane, then it would be waste of money but it won't cause any harm at all.

Using low octane fuel in an engine made for high octane will cause harm. hough However engines these days come with anti-knock sensors which sense the grade of fuel and then just reduce compression ratio. It will however lead to lesser power.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 19:23   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does XP95 petrol from IOCL count as non-blended petrol? It is 95 octane petrol but wondering if it is still blended ? I believe it may not be, so it can be a substitute for those looking to avoid issues with blended fuel.
Ethanol blending and octane rating are two different things altogether. Higher octane rating doesn't mean ethanol is less or no ethanol. In fact, XP 95 is blended with ethanol too.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 21st May 2024 at 19:47.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 23:21   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Adding ethanol is a big scam to enrich few industrialist. Overall mileage and power decreases, making sure govt import more fuel to run the same distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
The forex savings due to ethanol will get offset by increased import of car parts due to people changing their cars sooner due to this E20 incompatibility.
There will be a problem with old vehicles which are not ethanol ready but companies will manufacture suitable cars going forward because the government mandates it. I feel for at least the next 15 years the government should sell pure petrol to the owners of vehicles which are not ethanol ready. If ethanol blended petrol is priced cheaper, owners of new vehicles will automatically switch over. Gradually all older vehicles will be phased out.

The local industrialists and farmers will benefit no doubt, and I feel it better be them than middle eastern sheiks! The money will at least circulate inside the country, even if emissions remain the same. But I think they will reduce significantly, at lest at the tail pipe level within the cities. Similar to EVs.

Brasil did it in a planned manner and doesn't seem to face any issues. They actually seem to be doing very well. I read FIAT is the Maruti of Brasil and they offer cars that can take E0 to E100 and anything in between as well. And seem to be running just fine.
Old 22nd May 2024, 01:12   #158
BHPian

Here's what I have seen in Lucknow IOCL pumps:-

1) Fuel labelled as Petrol (Pretty sure they haven't upgraded the stickers on the dispenser nozzle)

2) Fuel labelled as Petrol E12

3) Fuel labelled as Petrol E20

4)Fuel labelled as XP 95 E12
Old 22nd May 2024, 10:47   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

The local industrialists and farmers will benefit no doubt, and I feel it better be them than middle eastern sheiks! The money will at least circulate inside the country, even if emissions remain the same.
The real beneficiaries of this implementation are the kins of politicians and no one else. The E20 push is from the top and there is ni way out for the end user. Farmers or the local economy takes a backseat.
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 19:53   #160
BHPian

I have a MY 2017 Ford Aspire TDCI going strong at 110000 kms. Although I have the itch to upgrade, dismal resale value and no suitable substitute (Diesel Sedan) is holding me back. I am also concerned about Ethanol blending and lack of torque/power, dismal fuel economy in petrol engines. I will spruce up my Aspire and hold it for another 3 years as the car is still mechanically robust.

Fortunately diesel is not yet blended with Ethanol in similar proportion to petrol.
gck_tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 20:58   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gck_tourer View Post

Fortunately diesel is not yet blended with Ethanol in similar proportion to petrol.
Unfortunately, that’s not the case anymore. Diesel is also a 5% blend of biofuel (B5). This has been done silently and stealthily, no public announcements unlike E20.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 22:44   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Unfortunately, that’s not the case anymore. Diesel is also a 5% blend of biofuel (B5). This has been done silently and stealthily, no public announcements unlike E20.
Yeah I said not in similar proportion to petrol.
gck_tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 00:18   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't there a Gazette notification and a BIS Standard revision done to include this point? What else is a public announcement? It is no secret in India and globally that B5 Bio diesel is an accepted standard and is considered equivalent of regular HSD.
Impact of 20% ethanol petrol on current petrol engines-screenshot-20240524-12.02.598239am.png

Press article by Indian oil who achieved an average of just 0.5% bio diesel blending for the year 23-24 in spite of selling XtraGreen https://iocl.com/green-fuel-alternatives

It's time we stop overly worrying about such changes. It's not decisions taken over a coffee table and involves consensus of various bodies including automotive manufacturers to consider the suitability of such changes. That's the main reason these things are ramped up slowly. The Bio-diesel blending target of 5% is by 2030, which is still not of a concern.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 07:18   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Isn't there a Gazette notification and a BIS Standard revision done to include this point? What else is a public announcement? It is no secret in India and globally that B5 Bio diesel is an accepted standard and is considered equivalent of regular HSD.
Attachment 2608817

Press article by Indian oil who achieved an average of just 0.5% bio diesel blending for the year 23-24 in spite of selling XtraGreen https://iocl.com/green-fuel-alternatives
XtraGreen is not an issue, for there is clear branding that the fuel is a biodiesel blend. You know what you are getting.

Had biodiesel blending been so straightforward, why do the manuals of many cars explicitly warn against its usage?

Impact of 20% ethanol petrol on current petrol engines-1image.jpg

EN590 (upto 7% blend) compliance has become mainstream only recently. Post BS6.

Furthermore, having a fuel bunk in the family, I can confirm that even dealers were not given any intimation of B5 being sold as normal diesel. It just happened. We found out from the invoices.

Now, everyone is compelled to buy biodiesel blend, irrespective of their car being compatible with it or not. More worryingly, unlike ethanol blending, where there is plenty of public awareness and a clear roadmap, there is zero public knowledge in case of diesel. People are simply unaware that they are getting a blend.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 24th May 2024 at 07:27.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 07:48   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
XtraGreen is not an issue, for there is clear branding that the fuel is a biodiesel blend. You know what you are getting.

Had biodiesel blending been so straightforward, why do the manuals of many cars explicitly warn against its usage?

Furthermore, having a fuel bunk in the family, I can confirm that even dealers were not given any intimation of B5 being sold as normal diesel. It just happened.
The owners manual refers to B20 or even B100 bio diesel when it says not to use Bio Diesel. The manufacturer should have been more specific in this case. Toyota clearly mentions that upto B5 is no problem and even slightly beyond that, the fuel filter replacement interval is reduced. They haven’t said no upto B20.

I believe Gazette notifications are considered official intimations by the government. For B5 like i said earlier, there needn’t be explicit labelling just like E5 petrol. Only anything above that needs labelling or branding. And you say its mentioned in the invoice clearly.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th May 2024 at 11:48. Reason: PM coming up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks