Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2008, 22:41   #106
Team-BHP Support

I called up these MSM guys a couple of months ago and hence my question. They coated 3000 odd for the job and said it was equivalent to a teflon coating only.
Either he was misinformed or was naive enough to tell me the truth.
Any first hand experiences ?
Old 2nd May 2008, 08:37   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
What's this resin polish? Any details and pics? Post up pics of the car as well please.

Picked up some autoglym resin polish. Supposed to be tougher. One needs to also use an extra gloss addition but with the liquids I was carrying, I might get mitaken as a terrorist.

Was quite strange, you apply the polish and let it dry and rub off. What you rub off turns into scales. Strange part was that the water beads in the direction of the polish strokes as opposed to small, small droplets. Might need another coat later this month.

Minor scratches are subdued, I forgot that I also bough t-cut for black cars, will use this and repolish at a later stage.

Here is a pic of the car one day later
Attached Thumbnails
Car Detailing?-dsc00174.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2008, 09:20   #108
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful car, ajmat. Very tough to maintain a black car. 3 cheers for that. When are you bringing her on track ?
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:42   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Beautiful car, ajmat. Very tough to maintain a black car. 3 cheers for that. When are you bringing her on track ?
Soon - family and golf commitments willing, I cannot make it on the 10th as I am going abroad - might bump into that friend of yours actually
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:30   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I called up these MSM guys a couple of months ago and hence my question. They coated 3000 odd for the job and said it was equivalent to a teflon coating only.
Either he was misinformed or was naive enough to tell me the truth.
Any first hand experiences ?
It's not teflon coating, neither an equivalent.. I have got it done on my car and will be going in for 2nd free service sometime this month. I think I paid ~3500 INR for 1+2 treatments in a Yr.
Old 3rd May 2008, 23:47   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Nice writeup Bharat. Thanks

Where is Sachin Autoshop in Bangalore? Is it the shop in Koramangala, on the road opposite Prestige Acropolis?

Directions for using the rubbing compound?

Your spot on about the address of Sachin's autoshop.

You can use the rubbing compund with a peice of cotton cloth, i use my fingers
Old 5th May 2008, 15:05   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Soon - family and golf commitments willing, I cannot make it on the 10th as I am going abroad - might bump into that friend of yours actually
great, give my regards to her. Sorry, who ?

Am looking forward to riding shotgun with you in your RS on track.
Old 5th May 2008, 15:43   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Be philosophical and learn to live with these!
These are going to re-appear in no time at all!
I know... but still will love to keep my car as clean (scratch-free) as possible!
Old 5th May 2008, 21:47   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Your spot on about the address of Sachin's autoshop.

You can use the rubbing compund with a peice of cotton cloth, i use my fingers
Thanks Bharat. I will get it soon.
Old 7th May 2008, 11:01   #115
BHPian

Anyone know where i can get the Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound in South Mumbai?
Had a friendly meet with a Garage Wall today and left my bumper with quite a few scratches.
Old 18th May 2008, 20:14   #116
BHPian

Update -

No one answered where i can get it but here is an update.

Today was Sunday - Car cleaning day

I finally went to a car hardware shop which kept such cleaning products.

He had Turtle Wax Polish but not the rubbing compound. So he offered me a local one for Rs.40 and i thought what the hell, let's give it a try. If it doesnt work, will find Turtle Wax later.

Here are the results:
The scratches marked:
Car Detailing?-marked-scratches.jpg

The actual scratches:
Car Detailing?-scratches.jpg

After the compound:
Car Detailing?-after-cleaning.jpg

It worked wonders Even removed that huge scratch on the door which i had completely lost hope off. Was mighty impressed. It did remove the shine to a very small extent but hardly. Am sure it will be normal after polish.

Last edited by Xehaust : 18th May 2008 at 20:19.
Old 18th May 2008, 20:51   #117
Senior - BHPian

Hi Xehaust,

Thats good to see, Can you tell me just in detail who rubbed the was the shop guy or yourself? What kind of cloth is used to rub the scratch?

My Innova has multiple scratches and to repaint it would cost at least 12,000/- which I don't want since repaint needs both bumpers, left door, rear both panels. so its like repaiting 50% of the car, I am sure colour match won't be 100% accurate.

I know couple of good shops in bangalore to buy these products, so i am asking details from you about the process.

I guess product used is turtle wax polish.

Thank you very much

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 18th May 2008, 21:05   #118
BHPian

Need Turtle at Chennai

Any idea where I could get Turtle wax Ice series at Chennai? If not at Chennai any place at Hyd would also be helpful.

I am looking for the ice series since it could be used under direct sunlight, unlike other products.

Old 19th May 2008, 12:20   #119
BHPian

Hey Ravi, the product used is a local made rubbing compound from some company called Waxpol (Will post a pic later). It was only for Rs.40 so i thought ill give it a try since he didnt have the Turtle Wax "Rubbing Compound" though he did have Turtle Wax "Polish".

Regarding the process, it's really simple. I did it myself and no precision is required.
Just take a liberal amount of compound on a tissue or a cloth (which you can throw as im sure it wont be very usable later apart from car cleaning ).

Then rub on the scratches hard till they start to fade away. Just make sure to rub (as far as possible) only on the scratches as it tends to dull the polish of the paint to an extent.

It would be best to get the car polished after this to retain the eveness of shine on the car.
(I hav'nt because it is not that noticeable on my car and i will get the car polished before rains. But if it is noticeable, then better to get it polished as soon as possible - Turtle Wax "Polish" would be a good idea )

P.S. - 99% the Polish will do the same job as the rubbing compound without dulling the paint. So if you dont want to chance it, use the polish for the scratch removal thereby you dont need to polish later.

Important - Please keep in mind that the scratches removed are the ones which have come due to another paint coming on top of your car as it will remove that paint from on top of your car paint. If your paint is scratched, then this will only clean that scratch, not remove the scratch as your paint is damaged.

Eg. The scratches removed from my car are because the paint from another car had come on top of mine. Notice the white parts after cleaning in my picture, that is my own paint damaged, therefore it wont be removed, only cleansed.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
Old 19th May 2008, 13:45   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Any idea where I could get Turtle wax Ice series at Chennai?
Not sure of the ice series but I have seen turtle wax being sold at Landmark outlets. But this was almost 6 months back. Not sure if they are still available. Do check it out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks