Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Does your Swift rattle?
Yes 205 78.24%
No 57 21.76%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 13:42   #151
BHPian

Re: Does your Swift rattle?

My swift is just 4 days old and 250km on the odo.

The rattle just started today. It is like a loose coin would sound if kept in an empty golve box.

Location of the sound is from inside the dash board and behind the glove box. I am really not willing to let the service guys strip open my dash board to fix the sound. Its really annoying for a new car.

Has anyone had a similar issue?
Old 9th January 2014, 16:10   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
Location of the sound is from inside the dash board and behind the glove box.
Exactly my problem.
Check if leaving your glove box open while you drive fixes the rattle. If so, the likely culprit is glove box latch.
I'm yet to try anything to fix this though.
Old 9th January 2014, 16:31   #153
BHPian

My Swift does not rattle, yet. Its a Jan 2009 Unit, run 61,000 Kms+ so far, maintained rigorously at the Authorized Service Center nearby. Note that no aftermarket fittings or work has been done in the car.

Maybe, I got a lemon?
Old 9th January 2014, 17:22   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
Exactly my problem.
Check if leaving your glove box open while you drive fixes the rattle. If so, the likely culprit is glove box latch.
Tried all that, its not related to the glove box lid or its contents. It is coming from behind the golve box.
Old 11th January 2014, 17:15   #155
BHPian

2008 Nov Swift VXi. Done 63000km so far, well maintained and no rattling whatsoever.
Old 12th January 2014, 12:33   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
The rattle just started today.
Quote:
Exactly my problem.
I must admit that I made a silly mistake when diagnosing. The sound was from the passenger side sun visor which was not in its seat.

Current Status: 7 days, 320kms and No rattles so far
Old 18th April 2014, 20:33   #157
BHPian

2008 ZXI. Done 40000 km so far.

For first 10000 kms, no rattling. Really lucky. Then the rattling started slowly from different places,

1. Dashboard
2. Left side B pillar
3. Left side C pillar
4. Front doors (left and right)
5. Boot door
6. Glove box cover
7. Parcel tray

Out of the above list, ASS could solve dashboard, B pillar, C pillar and front doors. C pillar rattling has surfaced again for last one year. ASS is unable to solve it. I am living with it and started ignoring. The creaking noise from C pillar starts as soon as car starts moving in first gear. Door rattling (front door and boot door) will go away after damping as mentioned by everyone. As of now, the most annoying rattle is Glove box cover. The glove box cover makes a vibrating noise while driving. See photos below. Has anyone faced similar problem and solved it? I am thinking of adding some padding at the vibration spot using piece of tyre tube or something similar. Any other suggestions are welcome.

IMO irrespective of the rattling, Swift is absolute fun to drive and I love it. I have thoroughly enjoyed every moment.

The area marked in circle vibrates. If I press the cover then the vibration stops.
Does your Swift rattle?-20140411_101205.jpg

Arrow mark shows presence of factory fitted rubber. Planning to add padding at this spot. So that there is no gap between the cover and other plastic.
Does your Swift rattle?-20140411_101226.jpg
mp417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 21:37   #158
BANNED

My car is 4 months old ZDi variant and clocked 10600 kms till now with no vibrations or rattles. Touch wood!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 16:57   #159
BHPian

I haven’t ever seen a maruti that does not rattle. They just dont have the build quality of a european or even other Japanese cars. A lot of folks don’t agree with me - I have met folks who claim that their cars are absolutely rattle free. And when you sit in their cars and point out the rattling, they go ‘gadi mein itna aawaj to aata he hai’. Well, if you think so, then you dont know your cars from bullock carts!
torque!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 17:19   #160
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque!! View Post
I haven’t ever seen a maruti that does not rattle. They just dont have the build quality of a european or even other Japanese cars.
I don't know about the older generation Swift's but the newer one is made and fit well.

I am saying this with confidence as I have used two Maruti's till date:

1) Maruti Ritz VDi with 1.08 lakh kms in 3 years over good+bad+very bad roads everyday and this car is sturdy and well built.

2) Maruti Swift ZDi with 10.7K kms in 3 months over the same roads as used by the Ritz and the Swift too is silent.

Anurag.
Old 19th April 2014, 18:10   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

My Swift is 8 years old and almost clocked 80000 km. It does NOT rattle. Mind you it has been decently maintained and mostly city-run.

There are enough rattly Ventos on the forum if you look including my own (some nut tightening during servicing helps but some rattles mysteriously never go away especially from the rear parcel tray). Have seen Skoda Lauras with the same problem.

Not denying that there are plenty of rattly Japs out there but please at least post based on personal experience and not on some perception that may or may not be true.
Old 19th April 2014, 18:43   #162
Senior - BHPian

2011 Nov Swift ZDi. Done 39800. No rattles from anywhere.

I don't baby the car, but doesn't abuse either. And the Michelins are a great help too.
Old 19th April 2014, 19:27   #163
BHPian

2011 Swift Lx.
Decently maintained, never abused. City and highway drives.
Did not rattle still recently... getting a light rattle on the from door, heard only on bumpy roads. Mild enough to be masked when the music player is turned on with the volume on the lower side. Apart from this.. not a squeak.

Must be the speaker mount screws. Need to open it up to fix this.
Old 19th April 2014, 19:35   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
My Swift is 8 years old and almost clocked 80000 km. It does NOT rattle. Mind you it has been decently maintained and mostly city-run.

Not denying that there are plenty of rattly Japs out there but please at least post based on personal experience and not on some perception that may or may not be true.
+1
I too agree. Lets not make a general statement. Many members in this thread has confirmed about their swift not rattling. IMO there are many factors which contribute to rattling like road condition, driving style, overall maintenance in addition to build.
Old 15th July 2014, 12:21   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly my problem.
Jogging the thread after a while;
Hope you do not have this problem anymore.

I had this exact same problem before a year.
Used to get rattles from dashboard's hind side near the glove-box.
Got it fixed at Kalyani Motors, Mysore Road, Bangalore.
The issue was with the Cowl section which was loose and rattling so bad. It took us about 2-3 sittings to root cause the issue. The SA filled in padding material near the cowl-top gap and ergo problem solved and never came back!

Cheers!

Last edited by vishnu-man : 15th July 2014 at 12:37. Reason: Mentioned rattle location

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks