Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 15:25   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
Throttlebody too ? How ? Please explain
Throttle body is cleaning accelerator assembly. They remove the unit & clean all the grim with the petrol/diesel.
They don't charge much as well.

I do all the De-crab,Eng flush & throttle body clean up for every 20K.
Its good to follow up regularly which keeps the eng healthy by removing all the carbon content inside the engine sidewall etc.
Old 20th October 2009, 15:49   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
Throttlebody too ? How ? Please explain
Throttle cleaning is done manually, there are no special cleaners available in the market.. Charges between 300-400 rupees.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 20th October 2009 at 15:54.
Old 20th October 2009, 23:54   #183
BHPian

Mrbean and Ram, what i mean is the other person said system G cleans throttle body too and I dont know how SYSTEM G would do that ?
Old 21st October 2009, 00:15   #184
Senior - BHPian

it does not clean the throttle body. it cleans the loop only through which the fuel passes.
Old 21st November 2009, 12:49   #185
BHPian

Hi Guys i had bought a second hand 800 at 50 K ODO reading.Right now the ODO reads 55K.I did not know when the previous owner had last given it for servicing.So i gave it for complete servicing today.Things that are being changed :
1) Engine Oil (Was last changed at 25K by the rpevious owner as per records)
2)Gear oil
3) Brake pad if necessary
4) Some other things which cannot make out due to his bad hand writing !!

Now coming back to the point of this topic , they have asked me to do Decarbonisation
which is explained in past posts by flushing in the Solvent and blah blah.
They have quoted 1800 for the whole process including Injector cleaning.
Since this was the second hand car i bought i thought it would be good to go for it.
Also i had read in team-bhp that we should always do a complete servicing and oils changes for second hand cars as soon as we buy it.
The total bill quoted is 7 K !!!
now my question is
1) Is it absolutely necessary to do decarbonisation ?
2) He said something about brake cylinder getting stuck and he has to replace it quoting 500 Rs for that.

Cost wise am i being cheated ? ie. 1800 Rs for decarb and 500 for brake thingy ??
Please answer since i have to collect the vehicle at 5:00 PM !!
Old 21st November 2009, 13:14   #186
Senior - BHPian

^^ at mass here in pune they charge 1200 rs for decarb. there is no need to again clean the injectors. i think 1800 rs is a bit steep.
in 1800 rs you can get your head opened and decarbonised
Old 20th January 2010, 00:37   #187
BHPian

Hi guys, I recently got the fuel system in my Lancer cleaned at the Mitsubishi Service Centre here. It was done using a 3M Universal fuel system cleaner can which was connected to the fuel line and the engine was run on it for a while. Now this process sounds quite similar to the Carbon cleaning process mentioned in this thread, except no special machine was used, only a can of this 3M formula was attached to the fuel line.
I want to know if this was the same as Carbon cleaning/decarbonisation? The descriptor on the product say that it's "Formulated to clean intake valves, combustion chambers, and fuel injectors". And if this is not the same as decarbonisation, then should i go for a decarb so soon after this? I bought the car used and it has done close to 90k, and i don't think the engine's ever been decarbonised.
Old 3rd April 2010, 00:46   #188
BHPian

should it be on regular intervals? like, if decarbonization hasn't been done from when the car has been with me and if i get it now, will it give me approximately same results as done to a regularly decarbonized car..?

P.S. my OHC just crossed 1,40,000. :P
Old 27th April 2010, 10:55   #189
BHPian

Guys !
Bumping on to a old thread once again for assistance .

The scenario :
My petrol Indica XETA has missed a oil change ( 12 k already ) , odo reading spells 38k , FE of 13-14 in Pune traffic with AC .
No major issues as such , except for a sluggish pick up (belive the reason is bad oil )

1) I plan to go in for a Engine Flush with OWS 210 , Suggested ?
2) I plan to go for a engine additive Treatment with OWS 220 ,Suggested ?
3) Oil change with Castrol Magnatec , any better cost effective
alternatives ? Mobil 1 , can't afford , due to the price
4) Gear Oil suggested as would need replacement of that as well .

Guys suggest any more specific treatments that should go in , I personally feel no need for a Decarb as of now .
Also help me with the costs for the above , with approximate labour costs . I simply hate TASS , it su*** big time , pathetic and would have to get it done from a trusted mechanic under my supervision .

Pune guys lemme know of any store where I can get the OWS products ASAP or else would have to get it shipped from Bangalore .

Regards,
Pankaj
Old 27th April 2010, 11:23   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Guys !
Bumping on to a old thread once again for assistance .

The scenario :
My petrol Indica XETA has missed a oil change ( 12 k already ) , odo reading spells 38k , FE of 13-14 in Pune traffic with AC .
No major issues as such , except for a sluggish pick up (belive the reason is bad oil )

1) I plan to go in for a Engine Flush with OWS 210 , Suggested ?
2) I plan to go for a engine additive Treatment with OWS 220 ,Suggested ?
3) Oil change with Castrol Magnatec , any better cost effective
alternatives ? Mobil 1 , can't afford , due to the price
4) Gear Oil suggested as would need replacement of that as well .

Regards,
Pankaj
Yes right time to do OWS treatment, Add OWS 360 also to the fuel tank, take the vehicle to the highway & revv her up for few kms.
Engine oil - semi-synthetic oil like quartz (around 1200 for 4 litres)
Gear oil - mineral, synthetic not really required unless u do hard driving.
Check spark plugs
Throttle body cleaning
Fuel tank cleaning
Wheel alignment & balancing.
ECU Reset
Old 27th April 2010, 22:30   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Yes right time to do OWS treatment, Add OWS 360 also to the fuel tank, take the vehicle to the highway & revv her up for few kms.
Engine oil - semi-synthetic oil like quartz (around 1200 for 4 litres)
Gear oil - mineral, synthetic not really required unless u do hard driving.
Check spark plugs
Throttle body cleaning
Fuel tank cleaning
Wheel alignment & balancing.
ECU Reset
Is it really required ? the one's marked in bold ?
Also enlighten me with the gear oil thing is it suggested to be changed or not ?

Last edited by Dippy : 28th April 2010 at 10:48. Reason: Correcting spelling - changed
Old 28th April 2010, 00:02   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Is it really required ? the one's marked in bold ?
Also enlighten me with the gear oil thing is it suggested to be chnaged or not ?
Gear box oil is changed every 20k kms, so your vehicle is due.
Throttle body cleaning - carbon accumulates over a period of time & also you feel the car is sluggish. Cost = 300 - 450 rupees.
Fuel tank cleaning - 40k kms run can have sediments in the tank, so please clean it.
ECU Reset - Not really required, but no harm in doing. ECU reset on a car with few mods done would enable the ecu to learn the new mods..
Old 28th April 2010, 13:00   #193
Senior - BHPian

Today morning I visited Kulathunkal (TATA-Fiat Service) with my Punto to show the power window issue. As my car was being parked by a service guy just outside the garage, I noticed there is a sudden thick (black) smoke already spreading into 15 meter radius from somewhere near my car. The smoke was so intense that we could not see anything through it for some time.

Later when the smoke settled I saw one service guy closing the door of an Indigo CS (Diesel) praked next to my car, and coming out. Some other guys - who became victim of the thick smoke - now sneezing and coughing - started swearing at him and he says - "Man, what can I do? He (may be his boss) just asked me to blow the carbon out!!" Actually he was flooring the gas pedal in neutral gear. He did it to a cold engine, of a car which was parked outside the whole night.

Later I came to know that he was "de-carbonizing" the engine and exhaust system

Guys with diesel cars - beware, I have seen these guys doing it in Concorde Bangalore as well. I think it is a primitive practice in almost all service centers.

Last edited by clevermax : 28th April 2010 at 13:04.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:44   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Guys with diesel cars - beware, I have seen these guys doing it in Concorde Bangalore as well. I think it is a primitive practice in almost all service centers.

Thats a typical TASS practise as they call it " Desi Style " , Ahem !! God help ,but couldn't understand how pedlling a cold engine would take away the carbon sediments from the engine block .

A similar approach seen is , cleaning the tail pipe sediments(exhaust) by revving on very high RPM's . hitting on the accelarator pedall like as if there wont be tommorow , the sound itself appears as if the engine would blow off .

TASS , god help
Old 29th April 2010, 13:13   #195
BHPian

I have a Hyundai Accent 2008 model which has done close to 26k Kms. It runs on Mobil synthetic and premium fuel.
It is due for service now.
I am planning to get the Oil changed now in the service. Apart from this do I also go for decarb and Throttle body cleaning/ Injector cleaning?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed