Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2013, 08:00   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
They all mean one thing and that is rush to nearest Ford Service Center.
Actually, as long as the car runs fine, usuallu there isnt a need to rush too much. Bear in mind that the CEL comes on typically because of something that affect emissions. So, if you're worried aboutthe environment do get it checked out immediately, but there must be millions of cars out there with the CEL lit up and the drivers just driving on.

In some countries it wont pass the yaerly mandatory inspections, eg MOT. Thats when some of this gets sorted.

Btw, i would never let the CEL just be lit, but thats just me being picky and wanting to know whats going on.

Jeroen
Old 7th December 2013, 09:54   #92
BHPian

Re: Check Engine Light

Thought will post an update on the trip I had to Coimbatore this week. The car was performing well. No CEL or other trouble. Once a while the car would kind of lose steam but it wasn't that bad as before. Guess is a 7 year old workhorse and is beginning to affect him. Anyway. CMIL and TML have got it right this time. I sent a personal note of appreciation to the service advisor [wrote mail to his manager]. The car is still smooth and has got the grunt. I guess this car will continue to adore my garage for next 3-4 years. Now that the heartburn is out of the door will plan to install a new music system and later change my upholstery. Also want to fit an ICE with video on my headrest for my kids to see their cartoons. I guess another INR 50k over the next 12-24 months will make my ride a real nice one.
Old 16th December 2013, 14:54   #93
BHPian

Since the past few months, our Indigo XL Grand has been displaying the 'Check Engine' light randomly. It is prominent during early morning runs and/or if the engine is revved and the car is accelerated quickly. If I stay easy on the pedal and gradually increase the revs/speed, she runs fuss-free.

I got it checked at TASS - Fortune Motors (yet again) today and the OBD scanner reads a EGR (Exhaust Gas Re-circulation) code. Can you guys shed some light on this?
Old 16th December 2013, 16:06   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp95 View Post
Since the past few months, our Indigo XL Grand has been displaying the 'Check Engine' light randomly. It is prominent during early morning runs and/or if the engine is revved and the car is accelerated quickly. If I stay easy on the pedal and gradually increase the revs/speed, she runs fuss-free.

I got it checked at TASS - Fortune Motors (yet again) today and the OBD scanner reads a EGR (Exhaust Gas Re-circulation) code. Can you guys shed some light on this?
Have you got the exact code (s). that makes it much easier.
Jeroen
Old 16th December 2013, 17:21   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp95 View Post
As told in the above post it will be good if you can specify the codes for the EGR Error that you have found.

The generic codes are:

1) P0400 - Generic OBD error for EGR

2) P0401 - Insufficient EGR Flow detected

3) P0402 - Excess EGR Flow detected

4) P0403 - EGR Circuit Malfunction

5) P0404 - EGR Circuit Range/Performance

6) P0405 - EGR Sensor 'A' Circuit Low

7) P2144 - EGR Vent Control circuit Low.

Is it any of the following codes? If yes, then you can find the solution for the same.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 12:29   #96
BHPian

My EGR valve died and my car stalled. I am getting my car back on Tuesday. Here is a link I found on EGR valve failure and related symptoms. These were almost 90% accurate to what I experienced. I sense a similar issue here for kdp95

http://www.ehow.com/about_5790592_eg...-symptoms.html
srinih75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 17:15   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
As told in the above post it will be good if you can specify the codes for the EGR Error that you have found.

The generic codes are:

1) P0400 - Generic OBD error for EGR

2) P0401 - Insufficient EGR Flow detected

3) P0402 - Excess EGR Flow detected

4) P0403 - EGR Circuit Malfunction

5) P0404 - EGR Circuit Range/Performance

6) P0405 - EGR Sensor 'A' Circuit Low

7) P2144 - EGR Vent Control circuit Low.

Is it any of the following codes? If yes, then you can find the solution for the same.

Anurag.
Thanks anurag for the prompt reply. I couldn't reply back as I didn't have the exact code and the TATA A.S.S was hesitant to disclose the code.

Thanks to SDP for giving his OBDII scanner.

Before I move on to the error codes, I would like to summarize the history of my Indigo XL Dicor.

As on today, it has completed 1,55,000 on the odo. The ECU has been replaced at approximately 1-1.20 lakh kms (I do not remember exactly) as two pins were damaged(as told by TASS). Last year, she got overheated and hence the TASS(Yash Auto, Wakad, Pune) changed the engine gasket, fan assembly, coolant tank and other pipes and hoses. Everything was fine untill this incident. Suddenly she started showing check engine light whenever we went over 80 kmph. Took to TASS(Fortune Cars, Nerul) and they did something and it went off. But again after few days, it started coming on abruptly. If I switched off the engine and then start it again, the light would turn off momentarily but would turn on again after some time. I showed her to TASS and they did some clutch pedal adjustment and handed over the car. Also the car's exhaust was smoking black fumes like hell even at mid rpms. The car was due for regular service and we serviced it at TASS (again!). The problem was sorted to an extent and it smokes only at high rpms like all typical diesel mills.

The 'check engine' issue was still present and I took it to TASS again. I asked them the error and they mentioned it being related to EGR and Clutch pedal setting. They had a go at it again and now the check engine light does not come on at all. So now a new issue has been bugging me. Usually when we turn the key to ignition mode, all the lights on the instrument cluster light up and go off (diagnostic check) alongwith the 'check engine' light. Further turning of the key cranks the engine and it starts running. This is where normally the 'check engine' light stays off if everything's ok. However, since TASS handed me the car from my last visit to them, the Check Engine Light does not go off at all in ignition mode and when the engine is turned on, it goes off. Until now, the TASS provided me with more or less satisfactory results but the last visit to them was very much unsatisfactory and they were very impolite in their behavior.

Using SDP's OBDII scanner and the Torque app, the ECU showed up the following logged faults :

1. P1650
2. P1257
3. P1253
4. P0400
5. P1254
6. P0101

Also, the drive status screen in the app showed the EGR system as incomplete even after ~10 kms of driving.

Name:  SC20140209170322.png
Views: 3122
Size:  141.6 KB

There were no historic or pending faults. I cleared up the logged faults and after some running, P1650 showed up. It is this discovery that leads me to suspect that if at all TASS did something, it was to bypass the wiring somehow and lead me to believe that the issue has been resolved.

Please guide me on these codes, I googled them and found this link
Old 12th February 2014, 17:40   #98
BHPian

Update:

I had cleared the logged faults on 9th February itself. Today she went for a good trip of about 100 kms. When she reached home, I rushed with the OBD scanner to check the faults. And indeed there were four logged faults viz. P1650, P0400, P1253, P1257. Also the 'Drive Status since DTC clear' showed EGR system complete contradictory to my last observation.

Name:  SC20140212165458.png
Views: 3280
Size:  132.4 KB

Name:  SC20140212165529.png
Views: 3398
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  SC20140212165606.png
Views: 3196
Size:  88.6 KB

I turned off the engine, cleared the logged faults and turned it on again after a few minutes. Once again, the 'Drive status since DTC clear' showed everything incomplete. Please refer to the attached screenshots.

Name:  SC20140212165726.png
Views: 3107
Size:  133.0 KB

I hope I will get assistance of fellow tbhpians very soon and other's too will benefit from my experience.
Old 13th February 2014, 00:24   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

The P0400 is a generic power train code and it means you have a problem with your EGR valve. it's stuck or doesn't open or there is a leak. Google P0400 and you get dozens of hits and suggestions what to do, how to check/fix etc.

The problem with those other codes are that they manufacturer specific. Lots of specific codes out here on the www, but not so much when it comes to Indian cars, such as the Tata, as was pointed out earlier.

I did try a few googles, but I can't find anything. You really need to find somebody who has the correct table of DTC, specific to your make, model and year.

My experience with manufacturer specific codes is that the same code can still mean something different for each model. I ran into this exact same problem with Jaguar codes, couldn't figure it out because there are Jaguar specific codes all over the Internet. But for several codes you need to drill down to the actual model and year to get the correct meaning. No idea what's it like for Indian brands.

Good luck, hopefully somebody has access or can get their hands on the proper documentation.

Jeroen
Old 19th February 2014, 23:34   #100
BHPian

Hi Guys, I recently bought a pre-owned chevy optra 1.8.
A check engine light lit up recently, hooked up my obd 2 adapter to check for the error codes.

The error codes that I get are-
P0131- O2 sensor heater circuit(bank 1, sensor 1)
P0135- O2 sensor circuit low voltage(bank 1, sensor 1)
P0137- O2 sensor circuit low voltage(bank 1, sensor 2)
P0138- O2 sensor circuit high voltage(bank 1, sensor)

All these error codes are related to the two oxygen sensors.
Other than the check engine light, there are not any symptoms of O2 sensor failure.
No power loss, no smoke from silencer, fuel economy is normal, no extra surge of power.
Kindly help me in diagnosing the issue.

Also, near the catalytic converter( not sure if thats the position) there is an opening due to which my car's sound is quite heavy, similar to that of a muscle car.

Is there a possibility that there is a leak of exhaust gases from that opening due to which the heated O2 sensor is not able to reach the required temp of 450 mv? As per my understanding the exhaust gases play an important role in heating up that sensor, located behind the catalytic converter but I am not too sure.
Experts please help...
Old 20th February 2014, 08:23   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksthedreamer View Post

Also, near the catalytic converter( not sure if thats the position) there is an opening due to which my car's sound is quite heavy, similar to that of a muscle car.

Is there a possibility that there is a leak of exhaust gases from that opening due to which the heated O2 sensor is not able to reach the required temp of 450 mv? As per my understanding the exhaust gases play an important role in heating up that sensor, located behind the catalytic converter but I am not too sure.
Experts please help...
One O2 sensor i.e Bank 1 Sensor 1 (P0131) is located before the catalytic convertor and the other O2 sensor i.e Bank 1 Sensor 2 (P0138) is located at the rear of the catalytic convertor. Just clean the sensor and check if the codes reappear!

Reading the description for each error code I guess the hole that you have mentioned in your silence is letting out gases faster so the sensor is not reaching the required temperature hence the codes.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 20th February 2014 at 08:27.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 10:54   #102
BHPian

Thanks Anurag, I will clean the sensors and get the opening fixed.
Hope the problem is solved, I really hate that yellow cel glowing right on my face.
Old 23rd February 2014, 17:58   #103
BHPian

A simple way to check if the EGR valve is malfunctioning is to see if answer of either of the below question is an yes

1. Does the car idle with an unusually heavy grunt/clatter or seemingly erratic way like its going to stall and so you need to throttle it up?
2. Does the exhaust of the car smell like toxic fume?
3. Does the car seem to not have the same pickup as before at an incline?

My car was doing all these.

Also I found that faulty EGR valve will result in irregular temps in side the cylinders which may be the reason for the readings.
Old 1st March 2014, 20:12   #104
BHPian

Engine Check Warning on Fiat Punto

The Engine Check warning came on for the first time when I demanded some power from the engine last weekend, while trying to move from 80 to 120kmph. Fortunately, I was on my way to the Fiat service center for a scheduled service.

They identified the issue as a Turbo Hose Leak and claimed to have fixed it. The car also had all oils and filters replaced as this was the service at the end of 2 years from the date of purchase. When I took delivery of the car, they had cleared the warning message but on my way home it appeared again. So I went back to the service center and they scanned again, checked all fuses and this time identified the issue as faulty air flow sensor. It cost 4K and was replaced under warranty in front of me. I drove about 20 KM to leave the car at the body shop and picked it up today and drove done 25 KM without any issues. Yet again, the Check Engine warning message has appeared today. Only this time, the car is producing a lot of black fumes from the exhaust as well.

Do any Fiat Punto (Diesel 1.3 Multijet 90 HP) owners have any insights on what is possibly going on?

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 1st March 2014 at 20:14.
Old 1st March 2014, 21:27   #105
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine Check Warning on Fiat Punto

If you have an OBD scanner handy, you can read the exact error code and trace to what is causing the CEL in the first place.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks